As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLB 2022: Angel Hernandez still bad, CB Bucknor worse

cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
edited March 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
bwvbzm3kqilz.jpg

So, a really bad night for the Astros last night. Going into the ALCS, I really thought that it was going to be an uphill battle for the Sox, but it looks like Houston is completely collapsing.

Did anyone watch the postgame show? I heard it was a glorious fiasco due to anti-Yankees/ARod chants.

cckerberos.png
cckerberos on

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Man the last D&D MLB thread lasted 6.5 years and was started before the Cubs, Astros, and Nationals won a WS

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    In a move that I'm sure everyone will rejoice at, the Yankees have extended Boone's contract for another 3/4 years:

cckerberos.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    In a move that I'm sure everyone will rejoice at, the Yankees have extended Boone's contract for another 3/4 years:

Huh. Girardi must be having a laugh here.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

It's a good time to hate the Yankees I guess.

Ownership is no longer in a win first mindset and Cashman has been running the team for so long that anyone involved in major league baseball at that point is over the age of 40 now. He's won a single world series with a roster that was appreciably his in that time frame.

We're going to be on the high end of mediocre forever.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

It's a good time to hate the Yankees I guess.

Ownership is no longer in a win first mindset and Cashman has been running the team for so long that anyone involved in major league baseball at that point is over the age of 40 now. He's won a single world series with a roster that was appreciably his in that time frame.

We're going to be on the high end of mediocre forever.

Pretty much exactly what Hal wants

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i thought we were done with this thread
    the mods closed it down for a reason
    why did you make another one

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    I don't know what you're talking about... I'm having a great time

cckerberos.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cards fired their manager which feels weird after what he did for the team, but they do lead the way in being the cards

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    wow
    giants definitely would not be going down 3-0 like a bunch of chumps

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Yeah even the astros won a game before they kept loading the bases for the red sox.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    wow
    giants definitely would not be going down 3-0 like a bunch of chumps

Looks like you might've jinxed it.

cckerberos.png
    fuuuuuuuu

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    I wish the Sox would go back to wearing their white uniforms at home. I kind of like their navy away uniforms, but the red does nothing for me.

cckerberos.png
    sox back to being a normal hitting team

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    oh shit
    they're pitching eovaldi
    wow

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2021
    failed experiment

they really should've let him pitch to yuli gurriel though
    he's your ace, trust him to take down yuli

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Yeah... as soon as I saw that they were putting in Perez, I knew it was over.

cckerberos.png
    edited October 2021
    what a disaster
    if he was able to get an out from yuli, he would've never had to see that castro single which got him all shook
    and now who knows what his arm is gonna look like for his next start

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    c2oh5dxdrygh.jpg

I think this is the worst one of these I've ever seen.

cckerberos.png
  • ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Houston didn't score seven runs on one specific blown strike call, but the inning should have been over. But sure, blown call, get the next batter. Or not, if you're Perez. Asked to get one out, and he let seven runs score, first. A one run lead against Houston is no guarantee, less so when you have to depend on Boston's bullpen, but letting seven runs cross the plate with two outs is something else entirely. I'm just surprised it wasn't Ottavino that didn't blow it. Cora could've pulled Perez after three batters but left him in there, really rubbed his nose in it. I guess, sure, why burn another arm, but sheesh.

As above, I attribute those runs more to the decision to walk guriel than any blown calls
    It was clear that after he gave up that single his confidence was shook and he couldn't find the strike zone
    If they let him pitch to yuli, there's a good chance he would've gotten that out and the strike out afterwards would've closed the 9th for the stros

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    I remember the days when I saw it was Sale on the mound and felt relief.

cckerberos.png
    Boston getting their first hit in the 5th. What is this?

cckerberos.png
    edited October 2021

Boston's performance in the playoffs looks like it's matching their performance during the regular season, on a much shortened timeline. They started out a little slow, got red hot for long enough to be taken seriously, and then immediately fell off a cliff and limped to the finish line.

Houston in 6. There's no way Boston wins another game, let alone the series.

Edit: Houston scored five immediately after I posted this, three of those with two out. It’s bottom 6th and Boston has one hit. Will they crack five before the end of the game?

ouchies on
    Looks like the red Sox don't want to go to the world series

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    ouchies wrote: »

Boston's performance in the playoffs looks like it's matching their performance during the regular season, on a much shortened timeline. They started out a little slow, got red hot for long enough to be taken seriously, and then immediately fell off a cliff and limped to the finish line.

Edit: Houston scored five immediately after I posted this, three of those with two out. It’s bottom 6th and Boston has one hit. Will they crack five before the end of the game?

If they are doing a rerun of their season, they'll win the next game and then lose in 7.

cckerberos.png

They will not. Three hits. They had more walks then hits!

Wow hotlanta not the heros need but the heros we deserve

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    They are going to get rolled by the AL team.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Man the bats are all schizophrenic this postseason for all teams, it's kinda nuts

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    So the whole “Astros stealing signs and communicating via whistles” is going around again. I checked out of baseball years (decades?) ago, but a good conspiracy makes me interested again.

Right now the evidence (I’ve just heard some highlights) feels very weak, but I guess we’ll find out as people who care more than I do look at it.

The thing about the Astros cheating or the pitchers using spider grip or whatever, or batters juicing is that these aren't isolated incidents. Everyone does this crap, and only a few people get caught. Everyone tries to steal signs, it's part of the game. The thing about the Astros was that they didn't bother to pretend to feel bad about it, so they became a heel. If they're doing it again in a different way, damn, I'd almost be into it for the sheer "what are you gonna do about it?" of it all.

As far as the ALCS, the blown strike call in game 3 didn't win Houston the game, the game was already tied at that point. It's still up to Boston to not only get that out but put another run across the plate. They failed to do either. As far as game 4, Boston just didn't do a single thing right. I know lots of Barstool chuds will talk about how this series was stolen or whatever, but man, the Sox suck so bad.

edited October 2021
    Yeah, for me at least, it wasn't so much that the Astros cheated, it's that they acted like sullen children after getting caught and then immediately tried to make it seem like they were martyrs.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Stealing signs is a time honored tradition in the game.

Doing it the way the Astros did, basically training a camera on home plate and then using the live feed to relay the information, was absolutely dirty as fuck.

It's going to be hilarious when the Dodgers still lose despite being up 4. And even if they win today, they still have to win two more times and I just don't see that happening.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The thing about the Astros cheating or the pitchers using spider grip or whatever, or batters juicing is that these aren't isolated incidents. Everyone does this crap, and only a few people get caught. Everyone tries to steal signs, it's part of the game. The thing about the Astros was that they didn't bother to pretend to feel bad about it, so they became a heel. If they're doing it again in a different way, damn, I'd almost be into it for the sheer "what are you gonna do about it?" of it all.

As far as the ALCS, the blown strike call in game 3 didn't win Houston the game, the game was already tied at that point. It's still up to Boston to not only get that out but put another run across the plate. They failed to do either. As far as game 4, Boston just didn't do a single thing right. I know lots of Barstool chuds will talk about how this series was stolen or whatever, but man, the Sox suck so bad.

Everyone steals signs but no one uses technology to do it. You can steal signs by having a guy on base who relays the signs to the batter.

No one else was stealing signs by watching the video feed of the game and then relaying the info the batter. They should have lost their title.

Spider tack “everyone” was doing it in that it was on all teams. It’s an actual thing that happens and probably shouldn’t have but isn’t really a team organized thing.

The Astros situation was not “just one of those things that happens”.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »

Everyone steals signs but no one uses technology to do it. You can steal signs by having a guy on base who relays the signs to the batter.

No one else was stealing signs by watching the video feed of the game and then relaying the info the batter. They should have lost their title.

Spider tack “everyone” was doing it in that it was on all teams. It’s an actual thing that happens and probably shouldn’t have but isn’t really a team organized thing.

The Astros situation was not “just one of those things that happens”.

Yeah it was the extent of the stealing and the fact the astros never faced a damn thing for what they did as evidenced by where they are today.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    What WS matchup are you guys hoping for?

I was hoping for Red Sox vs. Braves (for the novelty and the Boston connection). Barring that, an Astros vs. Dodgers revenge series could be good (so long as the Astros lose).

If we get Astros vs. Braves (as seems most likely at this point), I'm not sure if I'll watch.

cckerberos.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Astros v Braves. Really not a huge fan of any of the teams in it this year.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I don't think I've ever seen a runner actually make it to first on a dropped third strike before.

cckerberos.png