As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2022: Angel Hernandez still bad, CB Bucknor worse

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a runner actually make it to first on a dropped third strike before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjZMGjEaPp8

Clearly you never saw a third strike inside the park home run!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a runner actually make it to first on a dropped third strike before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjZMGjEaPp8

Clearly you never saw a third strike inside the park home run!

Oh boy.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    God I'm not looking forward to another Houston World Series win, especially if they cheated again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    None of the cheating accusations I've heard thus far seem very credible.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

That's the fun thing about being caught cheating, no one will ever believe you're playing fair ever again

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Four innings in the books and no hits for Boston, while Eovaldi is pitching a great game. Boston, if nothing else, has a respect for tradition.

• Options
    ouchies wrote: »
    Four innings in the books and no hits for Boston, while Eovaldi is pitching a great game. Boston, if nothing else, has a respect for tradition.

Eovaldi is getting a King Felix support day from the team.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i'm already talking myself into being happy for dusty baker as my takeaway for this post season :/

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    On the bright side, I'll be in Fenway next month and might be able to get merch cheaper if they lose.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Boston seems to be swinging at damn near any and everything.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    I really thought that was a homer.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Sox: finally get a hit, a two-out triple. Next batter: one pitch pop out.
    Astros: lead off triple that could have been an inside the parker.

Boston has nine hits in the last 24 innings. They are terrible.

• Options
    If Graveman collapses here, I'll take back all the mean things I thought when the Mariners traded him.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    too much leverage

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    woooooww

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    and there it is, welcome to the world series dusty
    fuck the stros, i'm just here for dusty

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Hahaha, Ottavino sucks so bad, Jesus.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Three hits in Game 5, two hits in Game 6 for Boston. So much for that red-hot, historic offense.

ouchies on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Well, it was nice while it lasted.

On to next year!
    Fuck the Asterisks. Go Braves!

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

That's the fun thing about being caught cheating, no one will ever believe you're playing fair ever again

Especially when it's all the same actors still, no one actually suffered any consequences and none of you were willing to repent and more often were antagonistic to the entire fanbase yeah.

If the Astros and Red Sox each had to give up their last titles there would be a lot less talk about how they're filthy cheaters

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The problem is MLB needs another Kenesaw Mountain Landis as commissioner, not Milquetoast Rob Manfred.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The problem is MLB needs another Kenesaw Mountain Landis as commissioner, not Milquetoast Rob Manfred.

Nah, fuck that guy

• Options
    Very few people actually care about the 2018 Red Sox's sins. The idea that they have to escape the label of "filthy cheaters" is kind of ridiculous.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I know they were implicated in cheating but I couldn’t tell you what they did.

The Astros’ sins are more extensively documented.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    They recorded signs to decode them (but did not do it live during a game and transmit the information to their players) as i understand it. The Sox relayed information back from a player on second base who was decoding manually, as is normal and legal in order to relay information to a batter. All of this is legal. You can use technology to steal signs just not of a game currently in progress.

Where it became illegal is that the replay operator informed players whether or not the signs had changed during a game (but does not say that he decoded the signal changes during the game, just that he told them that they had changed) so that they would know they had to properly decode signals when on second base. Which is illegal.

But way less illegal than what the Astros did. Its easy enough to see how the actions could be seen as legal, since you're not decoding signals during the game and not relaying the decoded information, just letting your players know things had changed (but as soon as you use video to do that it becomes illegal). So when you say "stealing signs using tech is illegal" its very easy to see how you could not realize that telling people you no longer had the right code would constitute stealing signs. Even telling them the updated code might be seen as not illegal. "illegally stealing signs" colloquially means that someone other than the player on second base is watching the signs and then relaying the information.

Everyone on the Astros knew what they were doing was illegal; no one on the Red Sox realized that relaying that information during the game was illegal. Indeed, if you had asked me before the ruling came down i probably would have said "letting your players know that signs had changed during a game seems maybe a little sketch, but only a little, given that you used technology to acquire that info". Its not functionally different than having a guy in center field walk to the dugout to tell the players signs have changed. Its not going to effect anyone currently on second base anyway, so technology doesn't really aid you all that much. So even if they decoded the information and relayed that to the players it would have been far less of an issue than what the Astros did.

The Sox investigation seems... like a "both sides" kind of hedge, a way for the League to say "see someone else was stealing signs so ignore the Astros". But in no way was it nearly as bad, qualitatively or quantitatively, as what the Astros did, which is one of the worst scandals since the Black Sox threw games.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I suspect the Sox players knew what they were doing was sketchy. But my understanding (based on anonymous reports, so grain of salt) is that - with no one from MLB stationed by monitors at the time - the level of shenanigans they engaged in were pretty common around the league.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Eh. My thought would have been so long as you have a guy on second relaying the signs to the guy at the plate then you’re in the clear. Unless the guy at second is wearing a video camera or is getting the signs from an ear piece.

There is a reason no one cared about the Red Sox cheating. It might have violated the letter of the law but didn’t really violate the spirit of it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Man the dodgers just stepped right on their dicks. I'm sure the execs are mad we won't get a houston/dodgers rerun or an LA/boston series. Nope Atlanta getting murdered by the Astros.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lol walking the bases loaded is always fun

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    the giants tired the dodgers out
    you're welcome braves

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    oh i guess the braves want to try to give this one away too

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ahahahaha fuck the dodgers

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Well, guess I'm going to be rooting for the Braves.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Woooooooo! Wooooooooooooo!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    So in non awful world series match up news. Ken Griffey Jr bought into the mariners, so he's now a part owner of this horrific franchise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    They recorded signs to decode them (but did not do it live during a game and transmit the information to their players) as i understand it. The Sox relayed information back from a player on second base who was decoding manually, as is normal and legal in order to relay information to a batter. All of this is legal. You can use technology to steal signs just not of a game currently in progress.

Where it became illegal is that the replay operator informed players whether or not the signs had changed during a game (but does not say that he decoded the signal changes during the game, just that he told them that they had changed) so that they would know they had to properly decode signals when on second base. Which is illegal.

But way less illegal than what the Astros did. Its easy enough to see how the actions could be seen as legal, since you're not decoding signals during the game and not relaying the decoded information, just letting your players know things had changed (but as soon as you use video to do that it becomes illegal). So when you say "stealing signs using tech is illegal" its very easy to see how you could not realize that telling people you no longer had the right code would constitute stealing signs. Even telling them the updated code might be seen as not illegal. "illegally stealing signs" colloquially means that someone other than the player on second base is watching the signs and then relaying the information.

Everyone on the Astros knew what they were doing was illegal; no one on the Red Sox realized that relaying that information during the game was illegal. Indeed, if you had asked me before the ruling came down i probably would have said "letting your players know that signs had changed during a game seems maybe a little sketch, but only a little, given that you used technology to acquire that info". Its not functionally different than having a guy in center field walk to the dugout to tell the players signs have changed. Its not going to effect anyone currently on second base anyway, so technology doesn't really aid you all that much. So even if they decoded the information and relayed that to the players it would have been far less of an issue than what the Astros did.

The Sox investigation seems... like a "both sides" kind of hedge, a way for the League to say "see someone else was stealing signs so ignore the Astros". But in no way was it nearly as bad, qualitatively or quantitatively, as what the Astros did, which is one of the worst scandals since the Black Sox threw games.

I don't get why they needed someone with a camera to tell them signs had changed. It would be obvious with a couple pitches (or when there was a pitcher/catcher meeting to change signs).

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Cauld wrote: »
    I don't get why they needed someone with a camera to tell them signs had changed. It would be obvious with a couple pitches (or when there was a pitcher/catcher meeting to change signs).

Well. It would make it easier to relate certain information. Such as "we know they have 5 different codes, they stopped using code 1 and they usually go to 2 or 3 after that". And it would prevent players on 2b relaying bad information. It would be obvious after a couple of pitches sure. But that is two to four pitches of bad info

edit: the amount of advantage, even with active decoding during the game, would be pretty slim. Because you need a number of pitches in order to decode things. And you need a person on second base for them to go to their 2b codes. So if they changed codes in the game to a code you didn't already know you might not even have a chance to decode it before the game is over anyway. This is one reason why the "scandal" was kind of ignored.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    get outta the solerrrr systemmmmmm wooooooo

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    now i'm all riled up

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options