As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - Pyramid Scheme [PBP]

2»

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Louie snags the cigarette from behind his ear and replaces it back within the pack; retrieves the aviator glasses and places them discretely into his front pocket. Crossing the room without the usual attention-seeking theatrics, the (suddenly careful) man makes his way to the middle chair. Sitting up, straightening his back, he let's his hands find each other in his lap, and quietly acknowledges their host.

"Regentia," he says with a reverence, happily nodding his head in her direction and dropping his eyes in deference. "It is both an honor, and a privilege! I know I speak fer' João and Gurstag as well when I say that it is a compliment of the highest order to find ourselves the recepients of your invitation! Sincerely; thank you!"

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited November 15
    "No harm done, Professor. It seems your companions have no shortage of manners, so we will let that be that."

The Regentia takes a seat, and gestures indicatively at the servers around them. "We'll get right to it, then. I trust you all know about what happened in Vienna. Centuries if not millennia of knowledge lost to the ether due to a flagrant disrespect for the capabilities of modern technology, both in how to use it, and how to defend against it. The Nosferatu clearly had no capacity for IT or server security, and the Council had no respect for updating their ancient wards for anything that wasn't supernatural or an ancient blood-crazed assassin."

The woman moves closer to her desk, and turns one of several interconnected monitors to face the trio. It shows an array of spreadsheets, documents, and statistical data opened across several windows."Did you know their 'wards' against mortals were broken by C4 and tactical entry points? A massive failure in planning, and it cost them dearly. Counter-spells are useless when your adversaries just need explosives and modern weaponry. That's not a mistake I plan to let the West fall prey to. The plan, gentlemen, is to drag Tremere's outdated customs and incantations into the modern era, kicking and screaming if need be. And, by all accounts, we'll need to do just that. So, tell me..."

The Regentia turns the monitor back around, and sits back. "Do any of you have qualms about pairing ancient sorcery with present technology? I assure you, this is not a popular notion amongst modern Kindred, especially not your fellows. So I want to be clear that our interests align before we proceed."

cj iwakura on
    ePITGr0.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "With all due respect, Madame,", Gurstag clutches his satchel, "Only in so much as I share your concerns about the lessons of Vienna.
    And the lessons of your invitation tonight, besides." A brick through the Windows of my haven.
    "I am more than happy to explore what more can be done about present technology; that isn't just cutting ourselves off from it altogether."

The professor's countenance relaxes somewhat, as he prises his fingers off the leather.
    "And it would be pleasant to have a shorter list of technological disturbances to investigate."

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
    mrpaku
    "Was just discussing the importance of the "Cutting Edge" with my friend Gurstag here earlier," Louie says, grinning brightly, and appearing very much on-board with the whole clandestine operation. "I mean', only tradition I've ever personally held to was the youth-drive to buck tradition: you learn to change, or you die, right? Isn't that what we all learned from Vienna?"

Leaning over the desk with astute interest, Louie asks, "Now, this technology you've got... you're putting spells..."online"? Y'arent worries about, errm...."File Corruption"....or people just hacking it from ya'...?"

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "While I apologize for the informal means of invitation, it is but a glimmer of the advancements we've undertaken. Rest assured, once our foundation is probably established, we'll have a secure network that would make the Nosferatu green with envy. ...more than usual, anyway."

On that note, her attention goes to Louie. "Not quite, but close. When we're finished, there will be no need for such outdated storage methods as 'keeping spells online'. The network itself will carry the data on a more... subliminal wavelength. A work in progress, mind, but ideally, it will take a gifted telepath and technomancer alike to shatter this kind of encryption. Far beyond any mortal means, and especially that of most Kindred, addressing both of Vienna's flaws in one fell swoop. Which brings me to the next matter..."

The Regentia's hand glides across the keyboard, and the screen previously filled with data depicts a map of the surrounding city blocks. "This will entail some collaboration that the Elders in the Princedom may not approve of, not that they've ever seen eye to eye with our methods." With another swivel of the monitor, the area of the campus is colored in blood red, while blocks around it are scattered between blue, green, grey, and black. "...particularly, some creative liberties with this Masquerade of theirs. Within reason."

ePITGr0.png
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    "What sort of collaboration are you talking about?" João grappled with the Regentia's presentation. It sounded a lot like cryptocurrency, lucrative if you get in on the ground floor. He wondered if what the Regentia wanted to create shared some of the same concepts. "This sounds like it will be a massive undertaking."

He looked to Gurstag to see what his reaction to this was. The Professor knew far more about these sorts of occult matters than João did. He would have a better idea if this was some sort of fool's endeavor.

"The Tremere of old learned their ways by utilizing the knowledge and sciences accumulated by their mortal peers. Their modern sorcerers have not neglected to advance their ancient ways by incorporating modern technology, so in short, that is the proposal... one that has already been set into motion. From what I've gathered, their Mages have a 'Masquerade' of their own, though it likely has its own stipulations that we can't fathom. Regardless, the Prince would almost certainly frown on our bringing outsiders into the fold. It would be a death sentence were any of our kind to be caught engaged in dealings with them."

A pointed sequence of keys highlights an area in grey. "They have their own territory in the financial district, from what I can surmise. I would like one if not all of you to volunteer to be our ambassador in making a treaty with their kind to further all of our ends. I imagine the fate of Vienna is not one they want to experience, so it is in our best interests to come to an accord."

ePITGr0.png
    Gurstag listens fascinated.
    Keeping abreast of technology in order to further his research was one thing, but when it came to power, he'd only considered reaching into the past.
    To intertwine technology and the occult directly, well..

Gurstag blinks.
    "Wait, an accord? Do you mean for us to approach them directly, rather than finding some manner of deception to gain their support? I would have imagined that,"
    Gurstag sighs, "well, with leave of the Prince. I would have imagined that bringing one directly into our fold would have been easiest. But that has its own complications."
    "Still, I'd be more prone to, 'lending' out my expertise in exchange for assistance in this project in the first instance."

Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
    Louie nods, and cracks his knuckles with a wry, satisfied look. “Ken’ see why you brought me in then, if you need a Face Man fer’ your operation! Not gonna lie, I’m…intrigued by the proposition. Got a few questions for ya’ first, though…”

“Is there a particular contact of yers we’re supposed to meet up with, er’ are we just supposed to waltz into the Financial District and start beating down doors, asking if anyone’s got a black candle we can borrow?”

“We gonna have any backup or support from this end? Little something or someone to watch our backs in a dangerous neighborhood?”

“These Mages, you say they’ve got their own sorta Masquerade going. We show up there, talkin’ Revolutionary-shit, what sort of assurances we got they won’t just stake us and leave us to the sun? ‘Specially if we’re doing this outside the Prince’s knowledge an' protection…”

“An’ then,” the gangly vampire says, choosing his next words with discretion, “If the three of us are helping you to spearhead this brave, bold….rather dangerous…new venture…what sort of recompense would we be looking at, exactly?"

First, to Gurstag, the Regentia offers a nod."That's correct. Trying to deceive them would be unwise, as they are well-versed in the tactic. I prefer to engage them in an open field, with true transparency. I can assure you that the Prince will in no way, shape, or form approve of this endeavor, unless maybe we can show the results of this union after the fact. Better to seek forgiveness than permission, as they say."

Then her attention shifts to Louie. "No, a contact will be arranged. This will not be as tactless as "beating down doors". That's a tactic for the lessers, and besides, it would end poorly for all involved, and I would rather not have to explain why three neonates happened to disappear under suspicious circumstances. As for support... well, I had presumed you three would be able to cover each other's backs, but if you are that concerned, I will see what can be arranged. Assurances, I propose none and offer less. It is a gamble, make no mistake. We can only hope that if things go south, you can prevent things from exploding in our collective faces. If negotiations do not appear to be going well, then cut your losses and leave. We'll make alternate arrangements, somehow."

At the last question, her expression darkens noticeably. "You are helping further the knowledge and survival of House and Clan in these tumultuous times, young one. That should be reward enough. I am being courteous enough to phrase this endeavor as a proposal rather than an order." She then sits back, taking a more neutral tone while perusing a nearby display of the city.

"Still, I suppose that your ilk are accustomed to having some form of benefit to instill motivation. If you all return with results, perhaps arrangements can be made for more secure lodgings within the city, with more suitable conditions to practice your craft uninterrupted. Would that be to your liking?"

ePITGr0.png
    Gurstag considers, nodding.
    If he is to be staked, it should be at least worth it.
    Or more worth it.
    Regardless, having Louie in the room was clearly to his benefit.

"What of the other colours here?", Gurstag asks, "Are they also part of this plan?"

Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
    "Not at present. It is a vague breakdown of the division of influences in the city, though it may be a touch outdated. It fluctuates from night to night. I wouldn't concern yourselves with the particulars." The Regentia glances to the other two, then gives a motion to the doorway. "If there are no further questions, Suzette will see to the rest of your needs. The arrangements have already been made for your contact, ideally at midnight tomorrow. She will also provide the particulars."

ePITGr0.png
    Louie leans back in the chair, arms crossed confidently across his chest. He nearly winces once, as the Regentia’s cold gaze bears down on him…but somehow, manages to maintain his composure; return eye contact; nod back agreeably and amicably.

“Yes’m! You’ve got the lay of my ilk very well!” the man practically simpers, leaning into the power dynamic with all his might. “Anything that can get me into a bigger living space, and back to sum’ proper “Education” again…well, that would be to my liking jest’ fine!” The leathery man gives the Regentia a deep, solemn bow from where he sits, and shoots her that winning grin once more as his head rises. “Consider me highly motivated!”

Louie only seems to slightly pay attention to the talk of the city’s influences between Gurstag and their host, watching out of the corner of his eye while checking the back of his nails, and half looking absently about the server room. His leg taps with a constant, anxious energy. Finally, the Regentia roughly dismisses the group, and the vampire nearly jumps out of his chair in excitement; almost knocking it to the ground before he grabs and steadies it again. Adjusting his leather jacket with slight embarrassment, he turns back and bows deeply for a final time.

Regentia…once again, I thank you for considering and bringing us into the fold on this delicate matter! I appreciate your generosity of spirit, with both myself and my fellows here, and I can assure you of this above all else: an investment in us, is an investment back into House Tremere! And we will pay dividends!”

Leaning over the backs Gurstag and “Johnny”, Louie nods towards the door they came in, and drapes his arms akwardly around the shoulders of his fellow vampires, a wide grin etched upon his face. “Well then…Professor…Big Guy…shall we go find the Voice again, and forge a brave new future together?”

Gurstag tolerates the arm.
    "And perhaps make ourselves more comfortable in the process."

A brief shadow passes over his face as he is pushed down the hall.
    "I don't suppose ..", the professor sighs briefly, "either", unconvincingly making the statement equitable, "of you have done anything to upset Madame recently?
    The plan seems well-formed but also something that could leave us out in the sun.
    I don't believe I've committed anything so grievous.."

A thought presses on him.
    "I also don't suppose either of you have the Thaumaturgical knack we'll need for this endeavour... I don't. We'll have to see if Suzette is arranging some talent to come along to the meeting tomorrow."

Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
    Upon returning to the front of the building, "Suzette" is waiting with what appears to be three individualized flash drives. "Hopefully you guys have decent computers. They're encrypted with each of your blood patterns, so if anyone else tries to access it, it'll fry the contents and probably their hard drives. Fun stuff, Ellie's creation. They'll have info on your point of contact, likes to meet in jazz clubs, I hear. Try to blend in, I don't even know what he looks like. Probably a hipster beatnik or something." With her business settled, she sits back down and resumes whatever she was working on.

"Hope she didn't grill you guys too much, you should see how she treats outsiders."

ePITGr0.png
    "So.. do we need to bleed on them before or after we plug them in?", Gurstag inquires, turning the drive around in his hands.

He turns to the others, before realising; He can't just take this back to the office, inviting company back to his Haven is not.. optimal.
    Just as introducing your Koi pond to some friendly sharks is never optimal.
    They tend to take.. liberties.

"I suppose we also need to find a space where we can collaborate.", the professor states flatly, trying to remember what his students would use at this point in the night.
    Minion roll 5d10t7 for Wits and Investigation

Wits and Investigation:
    5d10t7 3 [5d10t7=10, 9, 5, 10, 6]

Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
    mrpaku