As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A GDST for the Rust / Baldwin shooting accident.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Docshifty wrote: »
    So how do you avoid these things in the future? Follow established procedures? Keep reputable and knowledge workers on staff? Baldwin has a different idea: have the cops do it.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/08/entertainment/alec-baldwin/index.html
    Alec Baldwin thinks police officers could be best suited to help film and television productions monitor the safe use of weapons on sets.

"Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety," Baldwin tweeted on Monday, his latest statement regarding on-set safety in the wake of the fatal shooting on the set of his film "Rust."

This implies there aren't already numerous redundant procedures to prevent this, and thus ignores any culpability in circumventing those procedures.

Police are also notoriously unproficient with their guns

I'd bet my life on a private armorer before I trusted Sgt. Deskpop

Like, this morning I had more ammo sitting on this desk than most cops are required to qualify with in a year. Is SWAT going to do it?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    You definitely want Mr. "I shot him in the back cause I thought I pulled my taser" in charge of firearms.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    You definitely want Mr. "I shot him in the back cause I thought I pulled my taser" in charge of firearms.

I mean, I'm sure that's a very attractive idea for a producer. If there's one group that's good at managing accountability for what happens with firearms...
    Notice I did not write "good at handling firearms securely" or "holding people handling firearms accountable".

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    https://www.insider.com/trump-claims-alec-baldwin-shot-rust-crew-members-on-purpose-2021-11

Donald Trump has weighed in on the Rust shooting, and he is just as Donald Trump about it as you could imagine. Highlights include insinuations that Baldwin had something to do with it (beyond the obvious) and that he may have loaded the gun, himself, as well as several statements indicating that Trump has no clue how movie cameras, props, or production in general work.

I'll take Grasping At Relevancy for $1000, Alex Ken Katie Bill Savannah Sanjay Anderson Aaron Mehmet Mayim George Robin LeVar David Buck Mike Ken and/or Mayim.

It probably has more to do with the fact that Baldwin spoofed Trump on SNL for the entire Trump presidency, and ultra petty Donald is going to take any opportunity to strike back.

Also, is this the thread to discuss the Astro World tragedy? Seems like a very similar case to the movie set incident where the venue dropped the ball and a mass casualty ensued.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Baldwin's suggestion isn't stupid from a perverse incentive sort of view.

If you have a cop on set who is responsible for gun safety, when there is an accident they are the ones liable for it not the production. And since Qualified Immunity is a thing, the production has basically created a situation where no matter what happens they don't really have to deal with the consequences. Sure someone may die, but the important thing is the movie people aren't the ones being blamed or questioned.

I imagine this is more an ignorant throwing things at the wall to see what sticks than an actual real proposal by Baldwin, but I can see how there might be some sociopathic 'fuck you got mine' self-preservation involved.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, he also just shot 2 people completely by accident, and probably has no idea on the actual procedures to prevent that happening, since they were not present at the film he is in/possibly responsible for.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So how do you avoid these things in the future? Follow established procedures? Keep reputable and knowledge workers on staff? Baldwin has a different idea: have the cops do it.

Alec Baldwin thinks police officers could be best suited to help film and television productions monitor the safe use of weapons on sets.

"Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety," Baldwin tweeted on Monday, his latest statement regarding on-set safety in the wake of the fatal shooting on the set of his film "Rust."

This implies there aren't already numerous redundant procedures to prevent this, and thus ignores any culpability in circumventing those procedures.

"Lets have someone we don't need to pay do it."

This is an awful fucking take.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

"Lets have someone we don't need to pay do it."

This is an awful fucking take.

And famously introducing police into non violent situations always goes well.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Baldwin's suggestion isn't stupid from a perverse incentive sort of view.

If you have a cop on set who is responsible for gun safety, when there is an accident they are the ones liable for it not the production. And since Qualified Immunity is a thing, the production has basically created a situation where no matter what happens they don't really have to deal with the consequences. Sure someone may die, but the important thing is the movie people aren't the ones being blamed or questioned.

I imagine this is more an ignorant throwing things at the wall to see what sticks than an actual real proposal by Baldwin, but I can see how there might be some sociopathic 'fuck you got mine' self-preservation involved.

More likely that Baldwin is dumb and does not realize anything relating to that except “cops are good” and “cops have guns” and therefore “cops would be good stewards of guns”

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    It does solve at least one problem, a cop isn't going to take shit from a director/producer/etc in order to preserve their film career. "I don't care how some relatively inexperienced armorer ran this in the past, this is the procedure , you're going to follow it, and you have nothing to threaten me with to make it otherwise", that sort of thing.

Not saying it's a good idea overall, mind you. But Hollywood has shown us a lot of people keep quiet about a lot of horrible things in order to keep working.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It does solve at least one problem, a cop isn't going to take shit from a director/producer/etc in order to preserve their film career. "I don't care how some relatively inexperienced armorer ran this in the past, this is the procedure , you're going to follow it, and you have nothing to threaten me with to make it otherwise", that sort of thing.

Not saying it's a good idea overall, mind you. But Hollywood has shown us a lot of people keep quiet about a lot of horrible things in order to keep working.

You're imagining the cop to be qualified and incorruptible here and that's maybe not super accurate in most cases.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    They need to take the hiring of all safety personnel out of the hands of the producers. Whether it’s decided by the Union or a new organization is set up to handle it, they need it organize it so that the contracts are with the organization, and the people in charge of enforcing/abiding by the regulations don’t have to worry about being blackballed if they put their foot down and piss off the wrong industry big shot.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

You're imagining the cop to be qualified and incorruptible here and that's maybe not super accurate in most cases.

Yeah, any officer we hire for set is off duty, we don't actually get to pick them the county/department does, and they're making just, like, waaay too much money to sit in the car and do "ITC" or Intermittent Traffic Control. And even then, it's a 30/70 shot they get out of the car and just chill with their buddies.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Also, depending on the department, they might initially be assigned, but in all likelihood the studios/director/producer will request specific officers.

Meaning that cops who do take their job seriously, won't be requested by directors/producers who don't.

So it'd be pointless regulation. Well run operations won't need the extra expense. Badly run ones won't get any significant increase in safety as a result.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Police are also notoriously unproficient with their guns

I'd bet my life on a private armorer before I trusted Sgt. Deskpop

Like, this morning I had more ammo sitting on this desk than most cops are required to qualify with in a year. Is SWAT going to do it?

https://www.insider.com/police-wrongly-discharge-their-weapons-more-often-than-you-think-2021-4

Cites at least 21 deaths by "accidental" police discharge, and hundreds of discharges in the last 10 years alone. Might as well put Yosemite Sam in charge of the armorer's guild.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Cops are just about the last government agency I'd trust with firearm safety on a set.

First off, they will point their gun at fucking anything at the slightest nonexistent provocation. Second, it seems to be impossible to train them to be aware that people can be downrange from what they shoot at. Third, putting a cop on-set to watch the firearms would do nothing but put the movie crew at hugely increased risk of arrest, injury, or death for no other reason than a cop wanting to swing their figurative dick around.

Put cops in charge of firearms on movie sets and I doubt we'd even make it a year before some movie crew members ends up severely injured or dead via cop because they weren't willing to kiss cop ass. It would just massively increase the rate of firearm deaths on sets, only now the people causing them would claim qualified immunity.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I assume that Baldwin is just Rich Old White Duding around for an answer.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It looks like the answer is the thing the producers was supposed to do but didn't.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I’m utterly baffled at the thought process aside from “don’t make it my responsibility anymore.”

Like where does that brain train go? “Cops have guns, therefore, cops are the best judge of gun safety?”

Like mother of god Baldwin didn’t we just have an incident where a cop couple got into a fight and one of them fucking shot the other during it?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I think we can all agree that cops being in charge of guns on set is one of the dumbest proposals to come out of this, so please lets not make this into another police brutality thread.

Cops - stupid with guns, and if there had been a cop in charge of guns for every movie / show we would almost certainly have had more than 2 firearm fatalities on set over the past 30 years.

• Options
    https://www.npr.org/2021/12/01/1060366069/rust-movie-set-shooting-investigators-look-into-ammo-supplier

Apparently they are now looking at the possibility that the live ammo on the Rust set was delivered mixed in with the dummy rounds by the supplier. Also, the warrant gives the reason that the armorer passed the gun to the AD rather than directly to Baldwin as due to COVID restrictions that generally barred her from interior sets.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    https://www.npr.org/2021/12/01/1060366069/rust-movie-set-shooting-investigators-look-into-ammo-supplier

Apparently they are now looking at the possibility that the live ammo on the Rust set was delivered mixed in with the dummy rounds by the supplier. Also, the warrant gives the reason that the armorer passed the gun to the AD rather than directly to Baldwin as due to COVID restrictions that generally barred her from interior sets.

What. The. Fuck.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

What. The. Fuck.

"Zachry told investigators that when she checked the ammo after the shooting she noted that some of the rounds in their collection "rattled" — which meant they were dummy rounds — and others didn't, according to the warrant."

Even if the supplier screwed up, it is the armorer's job to ensure that the dummy rounds are actually dummy rounds before handing off the gun.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

What. The. Fuck.

"Zachry told investigators that when she checked the ammo after the shooting she noted that some of the rounds in their collection "rattled" — which meant they were dummy rounds — and others didn't, according to the warrant."

Even if the supplier screwed up, it is the armorer's job to ensure that the dummy rounds are actually dummy rounds before handing off the gun.

So she can check if it's a dummy by shaking it, and there's only six rounds for the gun... and she just didn't do that? ...how?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Maybe checked the first round. It rattled. Figures “this is definitely the dummy box and no one has had access to it” and loads the rest without shaking them.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Or dummies don't always rattle so it's not something that stands out unless you already suspect there might be live ammo and you would need to open it up to be sure.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Or dummies don't always rattle so it's not something that stands out unless you already suspect there might be live ammo and you would need to open it up to be sure.

The rattle is added by sticking a BB in there specifically so you can distinguish it from a real round. This is a necessary feature for safety. The armorer should be checking each round for the rattle.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    More than one person can be at fault. Of someone shipped live rounds that were supposed to be inert that's a major fuck up. Not checking is *also* a fuck up

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Maybe checked the first round. It rattled. Figures “this is definitely the dummy box and no one has had access to it” and loads the rest without shaking them.
    That would be negligence

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It comes down to who loaded the gun, the armorer or the AD. Also why the fuck would anyone mix live and dummy rounds?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    It comes down to who loaded the gun, the armorer or the AD. Also why the fuck would anyone mix live and dummy rounds?

On some level the answer to this question is to remember how unbelievably stupid 50% of the population is normally. Most people lack any sort of critical thinking faculties or a basic ability to follow even slightly abstract cause and effect.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

In ANY situation!!!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

The armorer loaded the gun in the presence of the props master, then locked it in the safe during the lunch break. After lunch, she took the gun out of the safe and gave it to the AD. Per his earlier story, she opened the loading gate and rotated the cylinder so he could also check the rounds, but he can’t recall if he saw more than 4 of the 6. He then gave the gun to Baldwin, declaring it was cold.

Basically, there was negligence at just about every step, because everyone, including the armorer and props master, assumed the person above them on the chain had done their job.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    In another interview, Baldwin has said he did not pull the trigger. For the gun users here, how stable is old ammo, and how quickly, if at all, does it degrade?

To some extent I can understand how this happened. It was negligent, but from everything I’ve read, being delivered live rounds mixed in with the dummies is like getting a piranha in your tank of tropical fish.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    In another interview, Baldwin has said he did not pull the trigger. For the gun users here, how stable is old ammo, and how quickly, if at all, does it degrade?

To some extent I can understand how this happened. It was negligent, but from everything I’ve read, being delivered live rounds mixed in with the dummies is like getting a piranha in your tank of tropical fish.

Generally speaking not quickly at all. Most modern production ammo is made to pretty solid specifications and as long as moisture doesn't enter the main chamber where the powder is or the Primer Pocket, rounds can be stored for quite some time with no degradation in performance. Moisture is the big enemy however, that's why you'll often see older military surplus ammo "lacquered" where some kind of sealant is applied both at the base of the around the primer pocket and near the mouth of the case where the bullet is seated to prevent moisture from getting in there. The downside of course is that this lacquer will rapidly increase fouling in the weapon, so you only really see this on old milsurp ammo and no where else.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Not a 'gun person' but I have fired some handguns and rifles in my time. My uncle had a revolver that as a child I remember having such a light trigger that if you weren't careful with you could discharge it if you put your finger on the trigger and squeezed even a tiny bit.

For not a gun person I can see how you'd say, "but I never pulled the trigger!" but bullets don't just spontaneously decide to explode. Movies always make it seem like some big click jerking motion to fire a gun, which is the opposite of how you're supposed to shoot - "Squeeze, don't pull. Aim small, miss small. Don't anticipate recoil, relax." is what I was always told. I always assumed along with never pointing a weapon at anything I don't want to shoot was just basic stuff. It's been a while, maybe I'm wrong in the exact phrasing.

Edit: I guess I'm saying he might even believe he didn't pull the trigger, but I think he probably did.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    "I did not pull the trigger" feels more like a result of psychological denial than a rememberance of actual events.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It is possible that Baldwin didn't pull the trigger.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=155&v=ldHPNnsp-cs
    People only load 5 rounds in single action guns because they can go off without pulling the trigger if they don't add the modern design of a safety bar.

Coinage on
  • Options

Generally speaking not quickly at all. Most modern production ammo is made to pretty solid specifications and as long as moisture doesn't enter the main chamber where the powder is or the Primer Pocket, rounds can be stored for quite some time with no degradation in performance. Moisture is the big enemy however, that's why you'll often see older military surplus ammo "lacquered" where some kind of sealant is applied both at the base of the around the primer pocket and near the mouth of the case where the bullet is seated to prevent moisture from getting in there. The downside of course is that this lacquer will rapidly increase fouling in the weapon, so you only really see this on old milsurp ammo and no where else.

It sounds like these were old reloads (they used the term recycled rounds), not production.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Some revolvers, particularly older ones like he was likely using can be fired by pulling the hammer slightly back and letting it drop forward.

I was taught if you are carrying one in the woods-where if could snag on a brush or such- to have the cylinder under the hammer be empty.

e: coinage's video explains this really well if you can't follow the lingo.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png