As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Can someone share a link to the blank Ghostbusters form? :D

Tank shared them in the Ghostbusters thread. He did an amazing job!

Found it! Thanks: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/44149427/#Comment_44149427

That form is so awesome.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    In the morning zoom meeting, the employee who is being let go for refusing to get the vaccine says “I just want to thank everyone for standing by me and supporting my personal and private decisions”

And we all just kind of looked at each other awkwardly,

I would not have been able to resist shouting “fuck you” at the top of my lungs.

sarukun on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Can someone share a link to the blank Ghostbusters form? :D

Tank shared them in the Ghostbusters thread. He did an amazing job!

Found it! Thanks: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/44149427/#Comment_44149427

That form is so awesome.

It feels weird that NA and NO are flipped in the legend/guide and the chart itself, but that's my nitpicky self. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Continuing the farce, once I had secured access to my own house I went next door to my parents to check on their cat, and then couldn't get back into my house even with my key because it doesn't work right in the lock, never has. So I had to re-break-in through the cardboard covered window, with my house key in my pocket.

I think, and this just may be me over reacting here, that you might need some new locks and the keys to go with those locks.

Just put one of these on your new entryway.

2us2sate0ugn.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was the usual bs of work and I had to stay late to do frozen bread till they took away the equipment from me
    But during lunch the nurgle cult was talking about the C19 Experiment? I don't want to look it up knowing it's probably crazy people stuff
    I am getting over this flu/head cold but my nose leaks like a sieve and wearing a mask makes it gross coupled with the fact work doesn't have any paper towels

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Huh. Our CTO just asked an interesting question that I don't know the answer to, but others might have thoughts...

We did a pretty successful Varsity eSports event recently.. but the stands were empty. Most of the viewers were on Twitch.

He's asking.. what can we do to help fill in the stands?

Get rid of the stands and by transitive property the problem of filling them is resolved

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It was the usual bs of work and I had to stay late to do frozen bread till they took away the equipment from me
    But during lunch the nurgle cult was talking about the C19 Experiment? I don't want to look it up knowing it's probably crazy people stuff
    I am getting over this flu/head cold but my nose leaks like a sieve and wearing a mask makes it gross coupled with the fact work doesn't have any paper towels

Dude, you know I love you and am rooting for you... and we all know how bad your management is..

But if you need to be physically stopped from doing your job because you are doing it too much... that's a REALLY big sign that things are out of whack.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    And this is coming from someone who has literally had his account access frozen to force him to not actually work or check work while on vacation. (I'm doing better lately.)

Athenor on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Please take care of yourself, Brain leech

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Boss messages me asking if I have some time, I say sure so he throws up the zoom link and I join. First thought: oh I did something wrong and he wants to tell me over a meeting to soften the blow.

I get on the call and he tells me he's giving me a recognition bonus. And yes by bonus I mean cash money. Not a whole lot but any cash in recognition is a far cry from literally any other job I've held! Are you sure you don't got the wrong person here boss man I'm pretty sure I suck??

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Honestly you probably deserve it based on your evangelism in this thread alone. Like, if someone ever asks me if they should Splunk I'm gonna say yes based purely on your posts in this thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Boss messages me asking if I have some time, I say sure so he throws up the zoom link and I join. First thought: oh I did something wrong and he wants to tell me over a meeting to soften the blow.

I get on the call and he tells me he's giving me a recognition bonus. And yes by bonus I mean cash money. Not a whole lot but any cash in recognition is a far cry from literally any other job I've held! Are you sure you don't got the wrong person here boss man I'm pretty sure I suck??

I kinda wish I knew your real name so I could sing your praises to our Splunk people and help increase that recognition. You've helped more than you realize. :)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I have never once been asked my faith in the workplace.

My old office mate and I tended to get into all sorts of conversations you aren't supposed to ask in the office, so I think at one point or another I'd asked most of my coworkers, but more so I could make sure I wasn't just putting them on blast without realizing it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

Hey congrats!

A similar thing happened to me very recently where my boss invited me to a Friday meeting with no discernible agenda. I joined the meeting to see that the head of HR was also there so of course I figured I was getting laid off or something. Turns out they were telling me I was selected for manager of the quarter. I'm still pretty sure they got the wrong guy.

Huh...
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

Man, if a boss did this to me it would have to be a lot of money to offset the anxiety spike caused by that "we need to talk" bullshit

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Man, if a boss did this to me it would have to be a lot of money to offset the anxiety spike caused by that "we need to talk" bullshit

My anxiety spikes about that get smaller as I get older! My first thought that he was just going to tell me I did something wrong wasn't even really that bad because I figured it was a small thing that I can correct and I not only don't mind being told about correctable things, I prefer managers who are upfront about what they want to fix instead of festering with resentment. He also didn't make me wait to get into a meeting, we joined 1 min after I knew he wanted to talk. So none of this "let's schedule a meeting for Monday" bullshit that would have sent me into a panic.

The only time in my nearly 15 yr professional career I was summoned to a meeting to be laid off, 1) I definitely wasn't expecting it 2) it had nothing to do with my performance anyway, and fear of performing badly is where most of my anxiety lay. So "you're being let go for no reason" didn't really bother me as much as I expected it to.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm giving a talk at stanford on monday and I suddenly have absolutely zero motivation to prepare anything
    Problem with zoom symposiums is that it's harder to get away with just winging stuff. You gotta have some visuals to keep people engaged.

ugh

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I winged a session with 400 people recently cos one of my speakers didn't turn up, just make it up, it'll be fine

Halfway through my colleague messaged me to say my hair looked good, which was quite nice of em

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Interview went well, I think? That is, it didn't go badly, so.

I found myself unexpectedly parked in and was late because of that, but I called to let them know and they were understanding.

Now to overthink everything :confused:

• Options
    All week my boss has been bugging me to finally put in for some vacation time, as long as it isn't around Christmas because everyone grabbed that.

... because my brain is mush and my focus is shot, I finally did so today.

I put in to work Thanksgiving days off into a 2 week break, a couple breather days after a major project completion, and then 2 weeks off in the middle of January.

Aggressive, but hopefully okay, and I won't shoot myself in the foot for my projects.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Holy shit my coworker is a passive-aggressive jerk. He frequently insults other people in a "playful" tone and he will often just... not talk to me about work stuff if I miss something or forgot something. Instead he will wait for it to be maximally awkward for ideal passive-aggression.

Today though... I ate a bag of chips as a snack at my desk, and then a minute or two afterwards he started playing a weird video of someone eating chips loudly. This was his way to tell me I was being rude and gross and not closing my mouth when I chew.

I am gonna report him to HR I think...

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Trial scheduling is heating up again

God it's so annoying when people just refuse to respond to anything, come on you dang nerds, you don't want to get a subpoena

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don’t know, tv makes getting a subpoena look pretty fun. Like, you’re eating at a fancy outdoor cafe and a handsome guy walks by and says “hey, are you minor incident?” And you say “sure am” and they say “you’ve been served!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Damn, just got an email that PAX South is effectively dead, not just for this year but like...for good.

I know a lot of South regulars post in this thread so I figure this is as good a place to mention it as any. A real bummer, but hopefully we can keep doing our own meetup in the future anyway. I only got to go a couple times but I had an absolute blast and I'd hate to lose a chance to meet up with all y'all nerds for good!

• Options
    I don’t know, tv makes getting a subpoena look pretty fun. Like, you’re eating at a fancy outdoor cafe and a handsome guy walks by and says “hey, are you minor incident?” And you say “sure am” and they say “you’ve been served!

So, uh, are you minor incident?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Uh..

I mean.

Who wants to know…?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Holy shit my coworker is a passive-aggressive jerk. He frequently insults other people in a "playful" tone and he will often just... not talk to me about work stuff if I miss something or forgot something. Instead he will wait for it to be maximally awkward for ideal passive-aggression.

Today though... I ate a bag of chips as a snack at my desk, and then a minute or two afterwards he started playing a weird video of someone eating chips loudly. This was his way to tell me I was being rude and gross and not closing my mouth when I chew.

That kind of toxicity festers, especially if they think they have power. Jesus.

It's your desk and your time, I'm sure other employees have habits some might consider annoying. If it bothers them, put on headphones like the rest of us who are sane in a shared work environment.

You're doing the right thing. :)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You should have gotten more chips.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Uh..

I mean.

Who wants to know…?

I'm just

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

some guy

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    You cannot enter a strip club without a vaccine card in my state

Take this information and use it how you will

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm giving a talk at stanford on monday and I suddenly have absolutely zero motivation to prepare anything
    Problem with zoom symposiums is that it's harder to get away with just winging stuff. You gotta have some visuals to keep people engaged.

ugh

How quickly can you learn balloon animals?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I can do a mean worm, and a decent snake.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A snake is a mean worm.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

That kind of toxicity festers, especially if they think they have power. Jesus.

It's your desk and your time, I'm sure other employees have habits some might consider annoying. If it bothers them, put on headphones like the rest of us who are sane in a shared work environment.

You're doing the right thing. :)

Yeah... Our manager is basically this, it's fucking awful. When we had more people in the office he would shout across the hall to complain about employees further down the hallway...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited October 2021

God, I would climb out of my skin and leave town if I had to work with that guy.

Edit: Though I should say that at the same time, I know exactly where this behavior comes from. It's a trauma response to growing up in a house where you are punished for stating your needs directly. So coworker, I been there buddy, but you have to grow past that shit.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You cannot enter a strip club without a vaccine card in my state

Take this information and use it how you will

Shit, I left mine in my other g-string.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

I'm just gonna leave this here for future use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6RFccBmqM4

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    hmm

in what I have to assume is an error, this job may have just broken a labor law
    (a) A person who is an employer may not require an employee to work seven consecutive days in an establishment, the business of which is selling merchandise at retail.

(d) This section does not apply to employment of a part-time employee whose total work hours for one employer during a calendar week do not exceed 30 hours.

a) currently looking at an 8-day stretch from the 11th to the 18th; check
    d) Week of the 8th: 31 hours. Week of the 15th: 35 hours. check?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've just summoned an aid car for developmentally disabled homeless person who has a clearly swollen foot and keeps flashing his ass cheeks at me

I'm legit curious how this city managed to catch it worse than the other 2 metropolitan cores in the region