As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    hmm

in what I have to assume is an error, this job may have just broken a labor law
    (a) A person who is an employer may not require an employee to work seven consecutive days in an establishment, the business of which is selling merchandise at retail.

(d) This section does not apply to employment of a part-time employee whose total work hours for one employer during a calendar week do not exceed 30 hours.

a) currently looking at an 8-day stretch from the 11th to the 18th; check
    d) Week of the 8th: 31 hours. Week of the 15th: 35 hours. check?

They probably did, but if you don't complain, it's probably considered voluntary instead of required, and if you do complain they just cut a couple hours and you still work 8 days, just get paid less.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know it's the holiday season and I still question why they give dairy 4 people and just two in frozen
    this is what I started with
    j2fbvue7awa5.png
    There was more than that
    And this is how we left it
    2zcvw3ybg5tm.png

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    hmm

in what I have to assume is an error, this job may have just broken a labor law
    (a) A person who is an employer may not require an employee to work seven consecutive days in an establishment, the business of which is selling merchandise at retail.

(d) This section does not apply to employment of a part-time employee whose total work hours for one employer during a calendar week do not exceed 30 hours.

a) currently looking at an 8-day stretch from the 11th to the 18th; check
    d) Week of the 8th: 31 hours. Week of the 15th: 35 hours. check?

They probably did, but if you don't complain, it's probably considered voluntary instead of required, and if you do complain they just cut a couple hours and you still work 8 days, just get paid less.

ah, I was wondering where the loop-hole was.

I brought it up, at any rate, and will see how things go. They have been responsive in the past, and there's a small but genuine chance it was a legitimate error; another manager trying to fill holes didn't realize what they had done. (I don't necessarily buy that, but it's within the character of the specific manager mentioned)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Had my first ever bear attack patient today. She got off pretty easy except for a new sweet scar on her face. At least she has a cool story for her scar.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I feel like everyone’s cool scar story is “bear attack” (instead of the truth for most of them, which is like, “bumped my face into a door frame”) so I feel bad that no one will believe her real bear attack story.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My scar story is "learned why you shouldn't be a jackass to a dog."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well one reason why. The other is that that's mean.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Mine is “fucked around in shop class in high school and found out”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yep, mine was "engaged in an epic battle with a fire door and lost."

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Mine was "tripped and had sharp wire gouge its way through my arm."

I'm missing half my left eyebrow due to another scar, though I'm not sure what caused that one. Maybe it was the roll up door at the wire plant that came down on me and gave me a concussion, but I've hit my head on a lot of things over the years.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    https://mobile.twitter.com/coding_career/status/1454293034179317764
    This is brilliant: Software engineer got tired of getting rejected by automated screeners and tested a theory.

Real resume: 0% success

Obviously fake resume stuffed with buzzwords: 90% success rate

Calls from from Notion, AirBnB, Reddit, Dropbox, Robinhood, etc

Pictures are of the resume with keywords like "blockchain ai" and "record holder of most vodka shots", one of the programming languages is "Mia Khalifa" and their website with their personal projects is just a rickroll. The other pictures are screenshots of mails from big tech companies setting up in-person interviews.

Aldo on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My scar stories are “sand is slippery” and “don’t dance in the shower”.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Hmmm, suspicious activity and.....

Club chick running behind semi to pee

Okay, driving the other direction to NOT look creepy

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    This is brilliant: Software engineer got tired of getting rejected by automated screeners and tested a theory.

Real resume: 0% success

Obviously fake resume stuffed with buzzwords: 90% success rate

Calls from from Notion, AirBnB, Reddit, Dropbox, Robinhood, etc

Pictures are of the resume with keywords like "blockchain ai" and "record holder of most vodka shots", one of the programming languages is "Mia Khalifa" and their website with their personal projects is just a rickroll. The other pictures are screenshots of mails from big tech companies setting up in-person interviews.
    Rebuilt home display page with virtualized tables and map to provide a 420fps on screen experience with Lhana (sic) Rhodes

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

One of mine is "someone else fucked around in shop class and I found out." Jackass walked out of the welding booth, stuck the little bit he had been welding against my arm, and asked if it was hot.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

One of mine is "someone else fucked around in shop class and I found out." Jackass walked out of the welding booth, stuck the little bit he had been welding against my arm, and asked if it was hot.

What the shit!? What kind of asshole does that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's finally faded now as far as I can tell, but for about 10 years I had a grey dot on my upper arm where a classmate jabbed me with a pencil.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well what scars can I talk about like the scar above my eye that came from pillow fighting? or the ones from when I got hit in the head by a baseball bat? or a box of weights? or my thumb on my left hand that I don't like talking about? or a number of others?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    one of the reply threads on that is some guy trying to be like "obviously you get callbacks if you list big name companies" and just a bunch of exasperated people trying to make him understand that THAT IS ALSO BAD

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    one of the reply threads on that is some guy trying to be like "obviously you get callbacks if you list big name companies" and just a bunch of exasperated people trying to make him understand that THAT IS ALSO BAD

I saw that! Also someone arguing that companies still only use humans to filter applications. Like, sure buddy.

The Reddit thread it is from was pretty echo-chamber-y but seemed to miss the point that there are plenty of listings that are only online because of some internal policy and not because they were actually looking for an external candidate. Like those hyper specific listings that no one would be a perfect fit for, it is almost guaranteed that there is already an internal candidate the team lead wants, but she had to prove to hr that there are no better external candidates first.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

That guy is a trip. "what's wrong with any of this? That's just how we hire." "You really don't see any problems here, huh. "

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My scar story is had a golf-ball sized, rock-hard, ganglion cyst extracted from between my wrist bones where it was in the center pushing them out.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

I saw that! Also someone arguing that companies still only use humans to filter applications. Like, sure buddy.

The Reddit thread it is from was pretty echo-chamber-y but seemed to miss the point that there are plenty of listings that are only online because of some internal policy and not because they were actually looking for an external candidate. Like those hyper specific listings that no one would be a perfect fit for, it is almost guaranteed that there is already an internal candidate the team lead wants, but she had to prove to hr that there are no better external candidates first.

Ah yes, this company that believes algorithms are the solution to everything and doesn't even have humans for their customer support is going to hire a huge team whose trained to filter the thousands of applications they get.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    My scar story is had a golf-ball sized, rock-hard, ganglion cyst extracted from between my wrist bones where it was in the center pushing them out.

Oh hey I've had a ganglion cyst removed too, but mine was smaller and much less badass. Still prevented me from doing a "pushup" motion without spiking pain though so it had to come out.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Oh hey I've had a ganglion cyst removed too, but mine was smaller and much less badass. Still prevented me from doing a "pushup" motion without spiking pain though so it had to come out.

I have a real fucker of a ganglion cyst that has been aspirated once and blown out at least two times by pushing on it and every time I schedule a surgical removal the fucker disappears on its own a few days before the surgery only to reappear months later.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

I have a real fucker of a ganglion cyst that has been aspirated once and blown out at least two times by pushing on it and every time I schedule a surgical removal the fucker disappears on its own a few days before the surgery only to reappear months later.

Have you considered amputation? I assume it would get rid of the cyst.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Last night, our very own @Shorty joined me on a gig at the new arena here in Seattle. We gave him a little glipse of that union life and hopefully got him coming back for more. 😉

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah, I'd like to

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's finally faded now as far as I can tell, but for about 10 years I had a grey dot on my upper arm where a classmate jabbed me with a pencil.

Glad you finally got the lead out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

That guy is a trip. "what's wrong with any of this? That's just how we hire." "You really don't see any problems here, huh. "

And he uses the term "pedigree" unironically.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I know it's Halloween, but this is the stuff of nightmares.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I also had a big cyst removed, it was maybe large green grape size, but it was right in the center of my sternum. No idea how long it was there, at least 3/4 years?

But now I look like I've got a big spider scar on the verge of my chest

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

And he uses the term "pedigree" unironically.

i said it multiple times during my job search (into the aether because obviously i had no power) that experience is a measure of access not skill and I didn't expect to see such a good example of that as specifically this guy

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My bro getting burned with his nft job.

Its for music, where blockchain and rights have meaning.

But it happened in cali, where honour and integrity do not

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    A HR decision just made by work on something seriously important. And will operate retrospectively for the year. Errrrrgh I just ragequit for the day.

And I went to get a haircut since I need one and I thought it might calm my nerves, but apparently my barber's closed down! Fuck you COVID.
    That hr decision may have actually made a big difference to my decisions this year. This pandemic has dragged me into depression and now it kind of feels like I didn't really need to be here over these past several months. Fuckedy fuck. I don't know, I think I'm irrationally angry over this. It's bad.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    A HR decision just made by work on something seriously important. And will operate retrospectively for the year. Errrrrgh I just ragequit for the day.

And I went to get a haircut since I need one and I thought it might calm my nerves, but apparently my barber's closed down! Fuck you COVID.
    That hr decision may have actually made a big difference to my decisions this year. This pandemic has dragged me into depression and now it kind of feels like I didn't really need to be here over these past several months. Fuckedy fuck. I don't know, I think I'm irrationally angry over this. It's bad.

If I can ask, what rule did they change?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Genuinely sorry to be obtuse but it's quite specific to my work and I'd rather not get deep in it, but... just venting. Intersection of professional and personal life. I would've maybe done some things differently this year. Or maybe not. But having this decision made now I guess I can't know.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Today, I would prefer not to.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm working on the planting scheme for a client's garden, and one of the plants I'm using is called Verbena bonariensis, and every time I write it down I giggle at bonar.