Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'm working on the planting scheme for a client's garden, and one of the plants I'm using is called Verbena bonariensis, and every time I write it down I giggle at bonar.

So you're working hard?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm working on the planting scheme for a client's garden, and one of the plants I'm using is called Verbena bonariensis, and every time I write it down I giggle at bonar.
    If you didn’t, we’d honestly be a little disappointed.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Finally had that rough conversation with a staff member I've been dreading all weekend. Got a little weird in places, but I think I got my point across and ended on a positive note.

Then I woke up and realized it was just after midnight. Thanks, brain, really starting the week off right.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    So, you’re saying you had a conversation with a coworker in your dreams on Halloween night around midnight?

If so, I hate to break it to you, Jedoc, but your coworker actually died in 1873.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Finally had that rough conversation with a staff member I've been dreading all weekend. Got a little weird in places, but I think I got my point across and ended on a positive note.

Then I woke up and realized it was just after midnight. Thanks, brain, really starting the week off right.

Spent the last few hours this morning dreaming of being hours or days late for work in a variety of scenarios, desperate to make up time between *checks notes* 4:30 pm Friday (hour past scheduled time) and 7am Monday morning. Brain upset with me for not going in unpaid on a Sunday I guess.

*Marked as in a toxic relationship with his job*

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay, bosses approved my month of vacation requests through January! They said they would've kicked me outta here earlier if they had realized I had lost 4 vacation days in the last 2 months due to hitting my cap.

Now I just need to make sure all the big projects I've been assigned to fire off successfully. No pressure. >.<

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Super glad you are taking vacation!

To rant tho....and probably project a lot...
    Such bull the idea that you should be working harder before/during vacation to "make up" for it. That's just bad staffing and project management! Cause that ain't what a vacation is! A vacation is not doing labor for work, as a benefit and acknowledgement time is needed for that. Not as an acknowledgement that you were able to work hard enough to get ahead/catch up after.
    No my team is not adequately staffed,how'd you guess?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, props for getting your vacation approved

But

Work should be thanking you for notifying them of your schedule, not the other way around

Remember you are selling your labor

You don't owe work a goddamned thing past your agreed upon contract, which was presumably made under duress anyways, so really you don't owe them a fucking thing

And to hell with the idea of a pre or post PTO crunch rush

Yes, I'm feeling very fuck work, it's Monday

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dealing with a vet's server that's fine but he fucked it up by pulling wires and putting it on wifi. Which is just great for a server let me tell you.

Dude is sitting five feet from me watching Newsmax and smoking like a chimney. I'd say please kill me but I think he's working on it already

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I'm down to one direct report who is unvaccinated (from 4 last week)! Hopefully that last one wises up and I don't have to fire anyone on the federally mandated deadline for being a dumbass

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ehhhhhh.....

While I'm all for seizing the means of production, I have a salaried job where I'm on call 24/7. I'm also the only person on campus who has the knowledge to do this project (Though I'm changing that).

I had scheduled to have the project go-live mid December, after finals, a week or two ago. I set my vacation after that. So my vacation had to fit around my promised obligations. I just chopped 2 weeks out of the 7 weeks I have to deliver this effort.

I'll be fine.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Holy fuck I finally found the banned word that was preventing my posts from being made! To the report forum!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is it?

• Options
    What is it?

I posted about it in my thread over in the report forum, but it's a variation on 24/7.

• Options
    What is it?

It's your credit card number, just tested mine.
    plz no

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Man I dunno. Weekend was kind of busy and I feel like I'd be ok if today was another weekend day

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I was just being facetious and asking you to post something you clearly can't post, because (I think) I'm hilarious.

• Options
    I was just being facetious and asking you to post something you clearly can't post, because (I think) I'm hilarious.

Damn my helpful nature!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    ehhhhhh.....

While I'm all for seizing the means of production, I have a salaried job where I'm on call 24/7. I'm also the only person on campus who has the knowledge to do this project (Though I'm changing that).

I had scheduled to have the project go-live mid December, after finals, a week or two ago. I set my vacation after that. So my vacation had to fit around my promised obligations. I just chopped 2 weeks out of the 7 weeks I have to deliver this effort.

I'll be fine.

Now I know you may not have the power to change the above and still be successful in your job

but these are unacceptable working conditions

no one should be expected to be 24/7 on call for more than a week at most, optimum is a few days a month.

the tech/IT industry is terrible about running way too lean for critical operations infrastructure

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    ehhhhhh.....

I'll be fine.

Now I know you may not have the power to change the above and still be successful in your job

but these are unacceptable working conditions

no one should be expected to be 24/7 on call for more than a week at most, optimum is a few days a month.

the tech/IT industry is terrible about running way too lean for critical operations infrastructure

I'm part of an on-call rotation with the rest of my team (7 total members). The actual on-call is only 1 week. But if something breaks with my apps, I'll get called, especially for the critical ones.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    That's still unacceptable

Is your employer running so "lean" with such minimal staffing that there isn't time to cross train?

I don't mean to dog pile on you, I deal with this shit as an hourly worker, like I'm the only one who knows how to perform a certain task or function, and it's infuriating

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    On-call rotations are totally fine — I’m part of one that does 1 week every 5 weeks. But our on-call shift is 8 hours, takes the place of our normal shift, and is fully paid.

A 24/7 on-call shift for a week on salary (meaning, I’m sure, that they’re not paying you for 168 hours) is theft, and totally unreasonable, even if it’s “normal” and expected for your industry.

Edit: to be clear, this is a knock on your bosses, not you.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    anyways my original planned post for this morning was waking up after a dream where i was trying to drive at some late night work event or something but all the road were flooded

and i'm like damn my stress dreams are really taking to heart the "i feel like i'm drowning in work" metaphor

can't wait until it's friday again.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I have a lot of stress dreams too

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I ate way to much candy last night and had some wicked dreams.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    There is nothing quite like open enrollments season to want you to shitcan the entire medical insurance industry.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I took today off. Mostly to go to the laundromat. So, here I sit with my exciting use of PTO, in my tiny car eating Wendy's waiting to flip a bunch of laundry. Kind of better than working I guess?

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Resume updated. I put in my second toughest looking picture and said I solved the mysteries of cold dirt.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Bum clan has been sufficiently flu jabbed

Except for Mrs. Bum, who has to get her required-for-employment jab at her workplace, hopefully soon.

Update: Mrs. Bum got jabbed on Friday.

And apparently her work added a bunch of additional short-hand coverage pay to her paycheck for covering for a co-worker's medical leave over the summer!

Hello, unexpected bonus :biggrin:

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My bro getting burned with his nft job.

Its for music, where blockchain and rights have meaning.

But it happened in cali, where honour and integrity do not

"Blockchain" does not have meaning in music, except "scam."

But that's the same with "NFT" so I'd suggest he just get out now and cut his losses

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

I laughed!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Went to the dentist, got told my teeth are fucked which I already knew, found that insurance hadn't covered the last visit two years ago so hello surprise $300 bill, though they are letting me pay in three installments. Still have more work to be done before end of the year, no guarantee insurance won't throw a fit at some of that too.

Now time to head to work after I gather my party and venture forth

Madican on
  • Options
    If I have told them that I need redundancy for a thing, and they don't hire for it, and them I'm out.....well tough. But it's known I don't answer shit on vacation.
    And filling that need when you shouldn't have to only enables them to keep doing it.
    There is the Regan era stereotype of the union worker unwilling to do the extra, but the reason is a good one. The more you do, the more you are asked for, and the more you do for the same pay, the less your (and everyone else's) labor is worth. Saying no and unions are the only ways to keep it from being a race to the bottom.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, you’re saying you had a conversation with a coworker in your dreams on Halloween night around midnight?

If so, I hate to break it to you, Jedoc, but your coworker actually died in 1873.

quote from the co-op's insurance broker during one of the information sessions:

"if the insurance misbills or doesn't approve a charge be sure to enter into a payment plan so that it doesn't ding your credit while we fight it"

i should've gone to the dr after that meeting considering how much i had to bite my tongue ohohohhhhhhh

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm in a symposium and one of the organisers just messaged me privately (??why??) to say "I turned off my video feed so I could stand up" (???)

So I replied "I turned off mine so I could take a dump."

• Options
    edited November 2021
    update: she announced she would be playing "appropriate music" over the break session but has not figured out how to have music on her system directed through Zoom, instead of just looped through her laptop speakers, so all we're hearing is weird buzzes and occasional chipmunk noises. It sounds like listening to radio telescope feed.

edit: apparently it was Kraftwerk

tynic on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    update: she announced she would be playing "appropriate music" over the break session but has not figured out how to have music on her system directed through Zoom, instead of just looped through her laptop speakers, so all we're hearing is weird buzzes and occasional chipmunk noises. It sounds like listening to radio telescope feed.

What's appropriate music and is she the type of person we should sic the RIAA on for unauthorized rebroadcasting of copyrighted material?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    can I get an invite this sounds like the show of the year

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

What's appropriate music and is she the type of person we should sic the RIAA on for unauthorized rebroadcasting of copyrighted material?

no she's very nice just kind of odd

• Options
    How did the balloon animals go down?