As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    whenever someone's like "nft means you still own it, even if the game folds" it's like, super, i can put it next to all my warhammer online age of reckoning screenshots because it's AS USEFUL

But you don't own that screenshot!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    own my dick and balls

liEt3nH.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    whenever someone's like "nft means you still own it, even if the game folds" it's like, super, i can put it next to all my warhammer online age of reckoning screenshots because it's AS USEFUL

But you don't own that screenshot!

Oh so it’s like kohl’s cash.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    kOXL0Ah.png

sure am glad I still own my City of Heroes characters, I should NFT these to make them instantly worth $150,000 a pop and so I can use them in any other MMO I want
    I can't even use these on the private servers lol, no one ever made a way to turn the text-based backups into the game and/or they would technically still be part of the original game's property which would put them even more in jeopardy and/or the various servers have made so many changes that importing old characters either would break shit or make too many changes

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    kOXL0Ah.png

sure am glad I still own my City of Heroes characters, I should NFT these to make them instantly worth $150,000 a pop and so I can use them in any other MMO I want
    I can't even use these on the private servers lol, no one ever made a way to turn the text-based backups into the game and/or they would technically still be part of the original game's property which would put them even more in jeopardy and/or the various servers have made so many changes that importing old characters either would break shit or make too many changes

Legit grift idea: make CoH characters (i assume there are some bootleg servers up?) take screenshots of them and sell them as NFT.

Who cares if the world burns you'll be rich!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I guess to explain VC behavior somewhat, I mean if you have fuck you money, you basically throw a lump at everything and most of it dies off but one or two go 100,000% returns and you still come out ahead, and because you have fuck you money you can basically play a lot of dumb long shots until some pan out, yeah?

Or is even that giving them too much credit?

capital is supposed to seek out productive enterprises and ideas to invest in ("this guy says his machine can make waffles 25% faster!") and get them the space/tools/people they need to flourish. that's how things are supposed to work and how they have sometimes kindasorta worked in the past

but there are two big problems.

the first problem is that there are only so many good ideas or useful innovations per year. for every SpeedyWaffle there are a thousand bad ideas, or new companies that are doomed to fail by mismanagement, bad timing, etc. lots of restaurants fail not because of malfeasance but just because sometimes dude is a good cook but turns out can't run a business for shit, or whatever

the second problem is that changes in tax structure mean that a massive chunk of output goes straight into the hands of capital without even lightly passing over the hands of the workforce (eg, consumers)

this creates a situation where enterprising new innovators like SpeedyWaffle are either strangled by a lack of business because stressed-out, debt-riddled workers just don't have the money to spend on faster waffles - or they're shut out of the market by less innovative but more capitalized Big Waffle competitors who can drown them in red tape, underbid them on everything, buy changes in legislation, etc

meanwhile, the capital class now have SO MUCH MONEY that they are sweaty, bug-eyed desperate for a place to put it -they can't just buy bonds and treasuries and wait it out because they're terrified that inflation will erode everything (it won't lol) - and willing to take even the longest odds. and of course this is all happening in the context of a culture that tells them that double-digit annual growth is totally possible and sustainable, that 100% returns are normal, etc etc

this creates basically the perfect environment for grifters and con artists to thrive. as being a legitimate operator becomes harder and harder, but you can unlock a flood of money just by spouting the right line of trendy bullshit at the right person. so instead of one good idea to a thousand bad ones, the ratio turns into more like one to a million.

rRwz9.gif
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    kOXL0Ah.png

Legit gift idea: make CoH characters (i assume there are some bootleg servers up?) take screenshots of them and sell them as NFT.

alright let's do this shit

LIMITED DROP #1 OF 1 GET IN NOW
    DghoKEh.png
    owS7OPu.png

WE ARE GOING TO THE MOON BOYS GET IN ON THIS APE COMMUNITY
    LQIyol7.png

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Throw some money at me.

I'm a bad investment.

Gimme.

Chico I would very much like to give you some money in exchange for some original artwork.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    More and more every day NFTs feel like our Thing that the Enterprise or SG-1 would encounter in one episode and judge us for it. It just feels like an allegory for something but no, people are just that stupid.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I’m so confused by dark souls 3, is there some sort of mechanism where you can accidentally like increase the difficulty? Because I’ve come back to it and enemies that I used to shrug off are like 3 hitting me, it makes no sense. It’s the same area I was in before the difficulty has just randomly skyrocketed and I can’t tell why

Alright that’s it I’m uninstalling this garbage, all it’s doing it’s making me angry, I’m like level 80 so levelling up is a pain in the ass, and the area I’m up to everything is just killing me constantly and I’m getting more and more angry. I don’t know why I do this to myself. I played the first 2 and managed to beat them relatively easily, but this one is pissing me off and isn’t worth the aggravation. It’s tipped from challenging but satisfying to just a constant pain in the ass

Prohass on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    is your armor broken? are you drinking less estus? just out of the groove maybe?

which is to say, no, there's no variable difficulty system. (except new game+ but you have to finish the game for that)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Maybe NFT is the real great filter

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m so confused by dark souls 3, is there some sort of mechanism where you can accidentally like increase the difficulty? Because I’ve come back to it and enemies that I used to shrug off are like 3 hitting me, it makes no sense. It’s the same area I was in before the difficulty has just randomly skyrocketed and I can’t tell why
    Maybe you equipped a ring that increases the damage you take?

edited November 2021
    cB557 wrote: »
    Maybe you equipped a ring that increases the damage you take?

I’ll have a look, I don’t think my armour was broken and I don’t think my rings have anything like that, I didn’t change armour or pledged covenants or whatever. I’ll do it all later since I rage uninstalled it and will have to download it again

What’s the best covenant to pledge to, or at least one that doesn’t actively punish you?

The answer is to take a break or play another game but when a game pisses you off like this all you want to do is keep playing to beat it, but I swear I must have stuffed something up cos I was just getting wrecked

Prohass on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Sometimes it may just come down to enemies' RNG switching up just slightly enough that it throws your muscle memory out for a little bit without being super obvious

Do enemies level up with you like in set ranges or something? Cos it feels like I just ticked over a spike in their damage and health

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Do enemies level up with you like in set ranges or something? Cos it feels like I just ticked over a spike in their damage and health

Certain areas will change after certain parts of the game are completed, but beyond that, they should remain totally static unless you change something about yourself

Removing armor, putting on certain rings, those are the only ways to increase damage to yourself. I don't even think there's a specific covenant that does something like that in DS3

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    I dunno what’s going on then. I’ve been at it all day after taking a break when it started happening last night and maybe it’s just I’m getting sloppier or something, I’ll give it a few more goes then do a calm uninstall instead of a rage one. Just super annoying cos I finished the first two but this one I just can’t get through this area now

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    what area are you in, are you in a dlc zone? the dlc zones suck ass as far as damage goes they will wail on you

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    cursedking wrote: »
    what area are you in, are you in a dlc zone? the dlc zones suck ass as far as damage goes they will wail on you

Yeah it can really depend on the area too, there are certain spikes in DS3 where the various side paths converge, like the castle, plus optional places like the dragon mountains

Those spots are definitely meant to test you

signature-deffo.jpg
    The area around Anor londo. I’m just getting creamed by the knights and I swear I was able to do ok against them initially, but now I’ve gotten my ass beaten so many times I just don’t know anymore. I’m level 80 and I don’t know if my stats are any good, I use a shield and axe and heavy armour which has gotten me this far fairly easily but I feel like it’s just not feasible anymore. I dunno maybe I spent my stats wrong, I put it all into strength, endurance for stamina and the health one

The area around Anor londo. I’m just getting creamed by the knights and I swear I was able to do ok against them initially, but now I’ve gotten my ass beaten so many times I just don’t know anymore. I’m level 80 and I don’t know if my stats are any good, I use a shield and axe and heavy armour which has gotten me this far fairly easily but I feel like it’s just not feasible anymore. I dunno maybe I spent my stats wrong, I put it all into strength, endurance for stamina and the health one

That's a viable enough build, but unless you're using a greatshield or something, you might want to start putting points into Vitality, the equip load stat, so you can still roll and dodge good in your heavy armor

All the Souls games after DS1 really hobble you if you don't wanna dodge and roll through attacks, I've found

You could try putting on lighter armor and giving it a shot, see if it agrees with you

signature-deffo.jpg
    with all due respect if you've like, already rage uninstalled once, you are 100% off your game and not in your zone

liEt3nH.png
    Yeah I’ll give all that a go, I was hoping to just trudge through without having to get like every dodge perfectly the way I did in the previous games but these guys are just killing me and according to the wiki I’m way over the recommended level so I’m doing something wrong.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I only played DS1.

I hear in the later DS games I just can’t blast everything to death at max range with magic and I ain’t going to swing a sword like some kinda pleb.

Inquisitor on
    Olivaw wrote: »

That's a viable enough build, but unless you're using a greatshield or something, you might want to start putting points into Vitality, the equip load stat, so you can still roll and dodge good in your heavy armor

All the Souls games after DS1 really hobble you if you don't wanna dodge and roll through attacks, I've found

You could try putting on lighter armor and giving it a shot, see if it agrees with you

Also if you feel you just want to straight up try a different build to see if that works better for you, seek out Rosaria in Cathedral Of The Deep, if you haven't already. You can respec with her if you have a pale tongue in your inventory (and you're not fussed about doing Sirris's sidequest).

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I only played DS1.

I hear in the later DS games I just can’t blast everything to death at max range with magic and I ain’t going to swing a sword like some kinda pleb.

Depends on the game and on the magic

Hexes require significant stats but are the most OP shit in DS2, so I'm told

And in 3... uhhhh you get lots of different spells!! I guess there's that

Tying all the spells to the same mana bar really hurt the mages, man

signature-deffo.jpg
    I wouldn't say you can't do magic in later dark souls but broadly speaking they've made enemies a bit faster and a bit more aware of what to do when someone is at a distance from them, so that itself makes it a lot harder to do

liEt3nH.png
    Incidentally, I'm finally working my way through the DS3 DLC and hooooo boy

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Which one, they’re both rough times but honestly I think the winter one is roughest with also little in the way of uhhhh good times.

I enjoyed ringed city much more

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    cursedking wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

Which one, they’re both rough times but honestly I think the winter one is roughest with also little in the way of uhhhh good times.

I enjoyed ringed city much more

I've finished Ashes of Ariandel and I'm currently getting my arse handed to me by the Demon Prince boss fight in Ringed City

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ringed City is hard as shit but it has some great exploration.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if you're struggling against the irrythil knight enemies, I've heard just being more aggressive often helps with them, you might have been more aggressive initially then tried to be more measured and started getting murdered

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the ringed city includes probably the hardest segment in any souls game imo but it's a ways after the demon prince

edited November 2021
    Nah I’m not going to bother respeccing. I played for a few more hours today and I think I’m just done with the game, the combat is aggravating me, the exploration is starting to get rote, and I’ve got a bunch of other games I should be playing rather than putting myself through an experience I’m not enjoying out of like spite and resentment at leaving a game uncompleted. Too many enemies even in other areas are starting to do annoying moves, which repeat too often, and the setting is just not keeping me involved. I feel like I’ve seen enough and at this point the only reason I’m still playing is my stubbornness which is stupid

Gonna have to do what I did with Hades, which is basically admit defeat and the fact that I’m not having fun so what’s the point. I enjoyed hades but after like 30 runs I just seemed to start getting worse and could never beat it

Prohass on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Nah I’m not going to bother respeccing. I played for a few more hours today and I think I’m just done with the game, the combat is aggravating me, the exploration is starting to get rote, and I’ve got a bunch of other games I should be playing rather than putting myself through an experience I’m not enjoying out of like spite and resentment at leaving a game uncompleted. Too many enemies even in other areas are starting to do annoying moves, which repeat too often, and the setting is just not keeping me involved. I feel like I’ve seen enough and at this point the only reason I’m still playing is my stubbornness which is stupid

Gonna have to do what I did with Hades, which is basically admit defeat and the fact that I’m not having fun so what’s the point. I enjoyed hades but after like 30 runs I just seemed to start getting worse and could never beat it

With Hades, I would have recommended God Mode over giving up. The ending is worth seeing.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So far as game NFTs, they wouldn't necessarily be damaging to the environment as you wouldn't have all the other bits of cryptocurrency attached (assuming the devs are really just doing it for the purpose of using blockchain in the game and not for financial manipulation). So a NFT system with no money attached to it wouldn't necessarily see the same problems? There's no "mining".

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I think part of the pitch of nfts in games is that they'd eventually become interchangeable, so like you have a cool nft car in Forza 12, and because it's YOUR digital car you can also use it in GTA 7

Which seems extraordinarily ignorant of how game development actually works

Speed Racer on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    kOXL0Ah.png

Legit gift idea: make CoH characters (i assume there are some bootleg servers up?) take screenshots of them and sell them as NFT.

alright let's do this shit

LIMITED DROP #1 OF 1 GET IN NOW
    DghoKEh.png
    owS7OPu.png

WE ARE GOING TO THE MOON BOYS GET IN ON THIS APE COMMUNITY
    LQIyol7.png

Is it intentional you gave that dog a red rocket or...

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I think part of the pitch of nfts in games is that they'd eventually become interchangeable, so like you have a cool nft car in Forza 12, and because it's YOUR digital car you can also use it in GTA 7

Which seems extraordinarily ignorant of how game development actually works

There's a reason so many NFT setups, including The Sandbox by that company Ubisoft invested in above, advertise how they're game development platforms. It allows them to "solve" that problem by creating a system where people would default to using NFT assets.

The problem is threefold. First, that's just Roblox or Minecraft mods, it's still not unique.

Second, they still need to be able to make bespoke assets and code so they can probably circumvent any need for NFTs.

Third, they look and play like dogshit so far.

https://youtu.be/H1C8FJdCG1I

It is absolutely incredible seeing people pretend to get hype for a mini-golf game that'd bomb on Kongregate 13 years ago because it's a mod for a walking around town platform with NFTs.

E: Also, Decentraland is to my knowledge one of the bigger NFT world projects, and it's doing dogshit numbers anywhere. That youtube video has sub 100 views and was one of the first things I got for "decentraland golfcraft". What hype for it exists is entirely in a bubble with no market penetration but it's selling thousands of dollars worth of items. I could play real fucking mini golf for less money and hassle!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.