As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chicken [Coup]

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    He was literally Mcconnell's pick for a supreme court seat (before they decided to stonewall Obama) That should been all the red flags Biden needed.

I'm pretty sure that Biden can't see the color red.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    OP updated to add the Kyle Rittenhouse trial link.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Legal affairs reporter for Politico

Judge rejects Trumps request for an injunction blocking the ruling about how trump cannot assert executive privilege when he is not the executive.

"this court will not effectively ignore its own reasoning in denying injunctive relief in the first place to grant injunctive relief now"

Another boon from Trump habitually retaining the worst fucking attorneys available.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Legal affairs reporter for Politico

Judge rejects Trumps request for an injunction blocking the ruling about how trump cannot assert executive privilege when he is not the executive.

"this court will not effectively ignore its own reasoning in denying injunctive relief in the first place to grant injunctive relief now"

Another boon from Trump habitually retaining the worst fucking attorneys available.

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer but the response from the court seems as clearly a 'fuck off and go piss up a rope' as you get in dry legal speak.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    They say incalculable, but it’s quite calculable. They have costs for it: internal estimates, contracts with contractors. It’s totally a thing they can calculate.

It looks like the Architect of the Capital request $30 million in repair and additional security costs. So yeah they can calculate the costs. That’s kind of lazy linguistics there.

zepherin on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    They say incalculable, but it’s quite calculable. They have costs for it: internal estimates, contracts with contractors. It’s totally a thing they can calculate.

It looks like the Architect of the Capital request $30 million in repair and additional security costs. So yeah they can calculate the costs. That’s kind of lazy linguistics there.

so, let's see... 30 million divided by however many assholes got inside the building that day...

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I’d argue that the incalculable damage probably has more to do with the direct assault on both the rule of law and the constitution.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I’d argue that the incalculable damage probably has more to do with the direct assault on both the rule of law and the constitution.

But that quote was directly in relation to a fine.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Gaddez wrote: »

But that quote was directly in relation to a fine.

A punitive fine, right? As in they aren’t trying to recoup the actual cost via this route.

maraji on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Fines should really be in proportion to the criminal's ability to pay, but it doesn't usually work like that in the USA, where minorities and homeless people are regularly fined silly money. If only the legal system was as wise and merciful in most circumstances as it is in the case of these Capitol Rioters.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    well, most of them are bougie white folks, so... yeah. :?

• Options
    If the wealthy were made to pay comparable fines to the working class I suspect you could put a dent in the debt.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Seeing rumors on not-as-reputable sites (Daily Kos, etc.) that Pence and his staff were shut out of their offices when the insurrection started because all their access badges had been deactivated. If so, along with the removed panic buttons and other indications, it would be more evidence on the already large heap of "this was a planned coup and not some spontaneous demonstration."

Unsure if true or not (waiting on someone better to confirm) though I've made my opinions about Pence's pathetic fecklessness in the face of his own obvious assassination attempt clear already.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    That would be very interesting. As someone who works with (civilian) pass card access control systems, that's not the kind of thing that's just going to accidentally cancel itself without intervention (or a pre-set date, which would be really weird to have lined up a few weeks before the transition ends).

Note, I'm by no means familiar with the Access Control Management System in use in the halls of congress, but I'm working on one in use at a multi-billion dollar corporation, and I doubt it's massively different (aside from probably using a few extra fields/bells/whistles that we don't necessarily bother with, give or take, plausible deniability, etc).

Which is to say I'd love to hear whatever bullshit they try to spin on this one, if proven to be true.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Le Sigh.

"Just in: D.C. Circuit pauses court order allowing Trump White House records to be turned over to the House Jan. 6 investigative committee. Sets oral argument for Nov. 30 "
    - Ann Marimow is a legal affairs reporter for WaPo.

I have less objection to it being appealed, than I do to it being "expidited" but still allowing a delay of two and a half weeks.

Given that in all likelihood there's likely a fixed 60 weeks of clock left on the 6/1 Committee*, burning nearly 5% of the remaining clock on this procedural shit is frustrating. Why? This should be ready to go first thing Monday morning.

* If the Republicans take back the House, their first order of business will absolutely be cancelling this Comittee.

Time is on the side of injustice here.

• Options
    I mean Biden could just simply release the documents. Courts can’t hold him in contempt.

• Options
    I mean Biden could just simply release the documents. Courts can’t hold him in contempt.

The speed at which this would lead Republicans to call for impeachment would only be matched by the height of hypocrisy making that making such a call would be.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The speed at which this would lead Republicans to call for impeachment would only be matched by the height of hypocrisy making that making such a call would be.

Add that to the 800 things they are already calling for him to be impeached for.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The real/only reason, of course, being "improperly occupying the White House and claiming the authority of the POTUS, which rightfully belongs to us and only us."

• Options

Let them. Pelosoi might appreciate the opportunity to practice making meme faces.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The real/only reason, of course, being "improperly occupying the White House and claiming the authority of the POTUS, which rightfully belongs to us and only us."

Speaking of, asshole is "sending an ambassador" to Serbia.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I'd have to laugh if they somehow managed to get someone prosecuted under the Logan Act for the first time in 170 years.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Jared needed something to do.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2021
    edit: coup != chat

Echo on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trump’s Envoy Ambassador (I guess like a police cop) is the asshole who tried to personally sanction German businesses while ambassador there

• Options
    Trump just can't help himself. Also, the lack of consequences (legal, political, social) is just depressing as fuck.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-defends-capitol-rioters-hang-mike-pence-chants-saying-people-were-very-angry?via=twitter_page
    "Trump Defends Capitol Rioters’ ‘Hang Mike Pence’ Chants: ‘People Were Very Angry’"
    Karl went on to ask about “those chants” and Trump responded: “Well, the people were very angry.” Karl replied: “They were saying ‘Hang Mike Pence.’” Trump responded: “Because it’s common sense, Jon. It’s common sense that you’re supposed to protect... How can you pass on a fraudulent vote to Congress?”

This fucking guy, and the fucking people willing to supplicate themselves for him.

Pence won't say a fucking word against him, so he can eat shit too. Profile in fucking courage, that guy.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "It's common sense that they should hang Mike Pence, what's wrong?"

Fuck this man.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    It's just locker room lynching talk.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Trump just can't help himself. Also, the lack of consequences (legal, political, social) is just depressing as fuck.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-defends-capitol-rioters-hang-mike-pence-chants-saying-people-were-very-angry?via=twitter_page
    "Trump Defends Capitol Rioters’ ‘Hang Mike Pence’ Chants: ‘People Were Very Angry’"
    Karl went on to ask about “those chants” and Trump responded: “Well, the people were very angry.” Karl replied: “They were saying ‘Hang Mike Pence.’” Trump responded: “Because it’s common sense, Jon. It’s common sense that you’re supposed to protect... How can you pass on a fraudulent vote to Congress?”

This fucking guy, and the fucking people willing to supplicate themselves for him.

Pence won't say a fucking word against him, so he can eat shit too. Profile in fucking courage, that guy.
    Nice of Karl to sit on that audio for 8 months while he wrote his book.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Garland's ignoring it because he has no interest in holding anyone accountable who's powerful and was a disaster of an AG choice. Just fucking awful.

Shoulda been Schiff

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The only thing worse than the political reporter cocktail party insider gossip politics as a sport garbage is that these reporters actually do have the ability to get solid information for good stories, but choose to save that stuff for their fat book contracts and spew out the other stuff for weekly filler.

If America becomes a dictatorship I guarantee that Woodward will publish a book showing that he had found out all about the dictatorship plan months before it happened.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

Like it would make a fucking difference to anything.

• Options
    Profile in fucking courage, that guy.

Kinda, yeah, because he's a Republican robot who turned out to have one tiny principle - he wouldn't provide a pretext for a coup.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It's just locker room lynching talk.

Good ol' boys will be boys.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Kinda, yeah, because he's a Republican robot who turned out to have one tiny principle - he wouldn't provide a pretext for a coup.

It wasn't principles, it was cowardice. He saw a reasonable risk that the coup would fail and he'd be left hanging if he took a leadership role in it, so he did the safe thing and obeyed the law. Don't mistake that for any kind of principle of respect for the law, the constitution, the political institutions of the USA.

sig.gif
  • Options

Like it would make a fucking difference to anything.

It probably wouldn't have, it just a sign that these 'reporters' care more about their subsequent books than actually doing the job of reporting things.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

He saw a reasonable risk that the coup would fail and he'd be left hanging if he took a leadership role in it, so he did the safe thing and obeyed the law.

"Hanging" - phrasing!

Is it cowardice to suppose that Trump would let him take the fall - or the glimmerings of intelligence from a man who otherwise seems to be made of communion wafer dough? Because most Republicans seem to think "Surely if I stick my neck out for Trump he will protect me!" and then end up screwed over.

• Options
    There's also reporting that Pence's wife was pissed off at him for not doing the coup, so I'm not going to think very hard about these people's motivations.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Pence was fishing for a fig leaf; if he had found one we would be in a very different scenerio.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Gonna be real awkward for Harris when she’s tasked with certifying the fake electors the GOP Congress sends her in January 2025

This discussion has been closed.