Options

[Thanksgiving] Time is Here Again!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I put my bird in the fridge to thaw for next week

Exciting!

Thought I was in the pet thread for a minute there and was like “noooo, that’s not an effective training method.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm defrosting mine Saturday =)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im bringing a smoked brisket so ill be starting the smoker at 10pm Wednesday night to have it done in time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Today I'm beginning the sausage for my dressing

Just a simple sage / garlic / ginger / nutmeg sausage. Since I'm doing two thanksgivings this year, I'll freeze them in 1lb portions so I'm not doing ten thousand things in one day.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Last year I was solo, so I invented "Food Crime Thursday", a combination of Iron Chef (every meal features 1 indulgent ingredient) and an abandonment of constraint (Carnitas Taco and beer for breakfast last year).

Last year's ingredient was pork and this year's is peanut. Only social event is a weed and mimosa brunch that I will be bringing PB&J to.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Tradition in our household has been to go out someplace to eat. We're.. not big on cooking much. There are a million and one restaurants to chose from, and so many have Thanksgiving menus.

Last year, we stayed in and got take-out from a nice place. But this year my MIL wants to go out (outdoor dining) somewhere. And there. Is Nothing.

The compounding factors are: Daughter has Celiac's, and we need Gluten free options. And husband is vegetarian, so we need vegetarian options. Two years ago, the vegetarian was more flexitarian and the Celiac's wasn't diagnosed yet..
    MIL wants a nice Thanksgiving meal, and wouldn't complain about something slightly unconventional, but would get sad if it's completely not Thanksgivingy. I have found one place that satisfies requirements, and they have no more reservations available. Trying to look at places I know are good, and I just want to give up.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Hadn't thought about sous vide. I do have a machine I got from Satan a few years back. Do you think the bag the ham comes in would be safe to cook it in, and would it work in a 5 gallon bucket? It's all hypothetical right now since I won't see the ham until next week, but I'm certain it won't fit in the container I normally use to sous vide. Also, I'll be taking the ham to my parents so it'll have to live in a cooler for a couple hours on Wednesday while I drive down.

-edit-
    The more I think about it, this might just have to be a Christmas ham instead.

The darkest ham!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Thanksgiving is over!

I deconstructed the bird this year, and hoooolyyyyyyy shit, the damn thing was cooked and ready in less than an hour.

I’m deconstructing my birds from now on, it just makes everything less of a pain, especially since we eat by noon at my house, which means I only get like four hours to bring everything together.

This was my third Thanksgiving in my apartment with my lovely partner: previous Thanksgivings I felt were met with a somewhat lukewarm reception. I think the first year my poor in-laws were just kind of overwhelmed and mostly nibble, though they did eat most of the Turkey that year. Last year was similar, though nobody seemed overwhelmed.

This year I think people actually had favorites and were looking forward to the meal: I also think I made a more reasonable amount of food, Taiwanese people don’t really come to gorge themselves on Thanksgiving. We did whip together some from-scratch pumpkin pies the night before (store-bought pie crusts) because my partners nephew asked for them specifically. I also made creamed corn and that was DEMOLISHED, there was none left at all, everyone went back to that pot multiple times.

Next year we’ll see if we can fit some audience participation going and make some dishes to order, since everybody seems to have gotten comfortable in the last couple of years and is genuinely excited to show up now!

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    i am making the turkey stock today, hope to have around a gallon

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DHS wrote: »
    i am making the turkey stock today, hope to have around a gallon

excellent

I'm thawing some chicken stock I made a couple weeks ago right now!

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    i also have some chicken/beef demi-glace cubes at hand, i think i will throw a couple of those in with the gravy.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Didn't get home from Friendsgiving until like 1130, exhausted because I had been up since 4am

Went to bed

Just woke up and looked at my phone for the time... 4am

Jesus fuck I'm going to be so cranky today

• Options
    Just remember the food from yesterday!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is over!

I deconstructed the bird this year, and hoooolyyyyyyy shit, the damn thing was cooked and ready in less than an hour.

I’m deconstructing my birds from now on, it just makes everything less of a pain, especially since we eat by noon at my house, which means I only get like four hours to bring everything together.

This was my third Thanksgiving in my apartment with my lovely partner: previous Thanksgivings I felt were met with a somewhat lukewarm reception. I think the first year my poor in-laws were just kind of overwhelmed and mostly nibble, though they did eat most of the Turkey that year. Last year was similar, though nobody seemed overwhelmed.

This year I think people actually had favorites and were looking forward to the meal: I also think I made a more reasonable amount of food, Taiwanese people don’t really come to gorge themselves on Thanksgiving. We did whip together some from-scratch pumpkin pies the night before (store-bought pie crusts) because my partners nephew asked for them specifically. I also made creamed corn and that was DEMOLISHED, there was none left at all, everyone went back to that pot multiple times.

Next year we’ll see if we can fit some audience participation going and make some dishes to order, since everybody seems to have gotten comfortable in the last couple of years and is genuinely excited to show up now!

You should put "(Taiwan)" next to "Thanksgiving" so international readers don't get confused.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Just remember the food from yesterday!

I did manage to get a little more sleep so thankfully I'm not super cranky, just mildly so.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    First of three thanksgivings in the bag! Made a three rib prime rib roast with mustard crust and fuck was it good. Medium rare to rare through most and while a sous vide woulda been more consistent but honestly I like the variation on a big roast. Yeah the outside is over cooked but that's fineeee and you get more outer fat rendering with the longer cook.

Kenji's pie dough continues to always work, and the rest was a cake walk of dump and stir or basic roasting.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Didn't get home from Friendsgiving until like 1130, exhausted because I had been up since 4am

Went to bed

Just woke up and looked at my phone for the time... 4am

Jesus fuck I'm going to be so cranky today

Just today? =)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm going to make aligot for friendsgiving this year. The recipe I found is 2 pounds of potatoes and 2 pounds of cheese, and also 2 cloves of garlic. I'm wondering if that's a typo, and they meant 2 heads of garlic?

So anyway I'm gonna use 2 heads of garlic.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm going to make aligot for friendsgiving this year. The recipe I found is 2 pounds of potatoes and 2 pounds of cheese, and also 2 cloves of garlic. I'm wondering if that's a typo, and they meant 2 heads of garlic?

So anyway I'm gonna use 2 heads of garlic.

I've never used the prescribed amount of garlic in any recipe in my entire life.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Chicken with Forty Three Cloves of Garlic

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Chicken with Forty Three Cloves of Garlic

Those are rookie numbers. More garlic!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    why isn't it called garlic with chicken

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The Menu has been finalized:

Appetizers
    1. Charcuterie Board
    2. Two dozen fresh oysters with accompaniments

1. Spatchcocked Turkey with Gravy served in the chipped gravy boat which is also missing it's handle (literally the only thing I inherited from my parents).
    2. Homemade cornbread stuffing with sage sausage.
    3. Mashed Potatoes with Enough Garlic to Kill A Lesser Person TM
    4. Ultimate Homemade Green Been Casserole (Serious Eats)
    5. Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
    6. Spiced Cranberry Sauce (Martha Stewart)
    7. Canned Cranberry Sauce (For my brother who refuses to acknowledge Thanksgiving without this. He gets to slice it himself).

Dessert: Homemade Pumpkin Pie, Homemade French Silk Pie, Homemade Whipped Cream

General snacking and drinking starts around noon. We found a paper tablecloth for the kids to color on as well.

Dinner is served at 1700-1800. Football is on all day which is great cause it's the Bears v. Lions which is going to be just a awful awful game.

After dinner I will deploy the spiced rum egg nog and A Christmas Vacation will be playing in the theater.

Christmas lights go up Black Friday.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Turkey is fucking expensive down here.

Plus we're heading into summer and it's been hot as fuck.

we're doing a thanksgiving/hanukkah/end of lockdown/Ahava got citizenship/another friend turned 40 gathering this Sunday night.

I need to see if I've got some canned pumpkin in the pantry, otherwise it'll be sweet potato pie.

I'm also gonna try to do homemade fried donuts

• Options
    Turkey is fucking expensive down here.

Plus we're heading into summer and it's been hot as fuck.

we're doing a thanksgiving/hanukkah/end of lockdown/Ahava got citizenship/another friend turned 40 gathering this Sunday night.

I need to see if I've got some canned pumpkin in the pantry, otherwise it'll be sweet potato pie.

I'm also gonna try to do homemade fried donuts

This sounds just like the most delightful event!

Add some toasted pecans and caramel to the top of that sweet potato pie and no one is gonna notice the missing pumpkin pie.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh if only i wasnt allergic to pecans

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My family loves the sides but doesn't care for turkey, so this year is my last chance at wowing them with the bird.. As such, I'm going very different and making a turkey porchetta with a sous vide, and then deep frying it.

Tried it for a Friendsgiving and everyone loved it. I also brined a turkey leg and ran it in a separate sous vide at a different temperature.

h2xpte038jnm.jpg

Edit: ignore the fact that I used a pizza tray as a serving dish

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is over!

You should put "(Taiwan)" next to "Thanksgiving" so international readers don't get confused.

………..

Thaiwanksgiving?

Nailed it.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's the keeper for sure

I would like to not disclose the amount of money my yearly frou-frou butcher whole turkey costs me and also it's always 28-30 degrees C here so mostly I just turn the aircon as cold as possible and accept that it's a BIG carbon footprint of a holiday to hold in Singapore

In other news I'm not doing so great in the brain and yesterday I put on the cranberry relish to cook, set a fifteen minute timer once it started bubbling and promptly forgot and took the dog for a walk

Managed to not burn the house down but like jfc

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Since this seems to be the Turkey thread I ordered my Turkey for Christmas today.

But I’m a weirdo and ordered half a Turkey (but a bigger one). They plan is, skin the entire thing butcher it an aeroplane breast and a Maryland to do a 48 hour brine (which I haven’t decided on yet) then throw them on the smoker and turn the skin into like one big shattery crisp in the oven.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The aeroplane and the Maryland in there threw me off but i'm all about that crispy skinnnnn so yeah hell yeah

I decided to do lamb for Christmas because uhh idk you're not my boss

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Also we're allowed five guests now here so I am very very seriously considering buying a turkey breast to roast on top of the regular turkey on account of WHAT IF THERE AIN'T ENOUGH LEFTOVERS

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Whenever I’ve done Turkey before I’ve done them still broken down, but with skin on, but I know that the smoker struggles to really to do skin well so I figure keep the skin but turn it into a shard.

• Options
    Yeah sure but where does the aeroplane to Maryland come in

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    It's a measurement of time. 48 hours is about how long it takes to fly from Australia to Maryland.

• Options
    Yeah sure but where does the aeroplane to Maryland come in

Is this a bit or like a question on butchery? Cause I honestly can’t tell.

• Options
    "an aeroplane breast and a Maryland" is a phrase that I am fully fully ignorant of in terms of butchery

I genuinely do not know what they mean although I could guess maybe aeroplane is like... spatchcocking..? truly no idea and google was unhelpful

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Nah. An aeroplane breast is the breast with the drummette still attached and a Maryland is what you call when you get the thigh and the drumstick as a single piece.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Nah. An aeroplane breast is the breast with the drummette still attached and a Maryland is what you call when you get the thigh and the drumstick as a single piece.

I live in Maryland and have never heard anyone say such a thing

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I live in Maryland and have never heard anyone say such a thing

It's an Albany expression

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List