Options

[Thanksgiving] Time is Here Again!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    And you call them steamed hams despite the fact that they are obviously grilled?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Nah. An aeroplane breast is the breast with the drummette still attached and a Maryland is what you call when you get the thigh and the drumstick as a single piece.

Well then, TIL!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Nah. An aeroplane breast is the breast with the drummette still attached and a Maryland is what you call when you get the thigh and the drumstick as a single piece.

Well then, TIL!

TIL that blake T makes stuff up!

no one in my home or office has heard of such a thing either! I mean we've all heard of drumsticks with the thigh attached, but we don't call it a maryland

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    That's just a quarter chicken, dark.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I tossed together some simple dough to make rolls on Thursday. Just gonna let it rise one time then punch it down and rest it in the fridge until Wednesday where I'll take and weigh out rolls of it and put them on a tray that I can take and pop in the oven right out of the fridge the next day.

How much would one roll weigh anyway? An oz? 2?

Uriel on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Well then, TIL!

no one in my home or office has heard of such a thing either! I mean we've all heard of drumsticks with the thigh attached, but we don't call it a maryland

I do not know why you are given to assume that Marylanders came up with the name.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

Well then, TIL!

I do not know why you are given to assume that Marylanders came up with the name.

because of the name

• Options
    Actually maybe I should bake them Wednesday night and warm them up on Thursday?

Bah.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    If I'm wet brining a 13 lb turkey, when should I start the brine bath? I bought it on Friday evening and it's been slowly defrosting in my fridge since, so I was figuring starting Wednesday night.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    When you get 2 tacos from Taco Bell and 6-piece nuggets from McDonalds, that's called a North Dakota

I have never been to North Dakota but I made that up so it's definitely a real thing

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    When you get 2 tacos from Taco Bell and 6-piece nuggets from McDonalds, that's called a North Dakota

I have never been to North Dakota but I made that up so it's definitely a real thing

We actually call that a Texas Two-Course

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, I got a big turkey breast to cook for Thanksgiving, and am considering looking for a big brining tub to use for it (and in the future). am probably gonna make a stuffed turkey breast (with apples, nuts, and soft cheese), like I did some years back.

Trying to nail down what else to make.

I got some brussels sprouts and broccoli to roast, and I got some russet potatoes and sweet potatoes. Probably gonna mash the former and roast the latter.

And then I was thinking of making like, chana masala (chickpea curry) as a contrasting side dish (and get a bit more protien in the meal).

I think that'll be enough for me and my brother.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Googling for "aeroplane breast" returns results for airline chicken recipes so I think Blake T might be a big phony!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Searching for any combination of Maryland and Chicken results in a bunch of places I can shop for chicken and also a horrifying chicken dish that combines chicken and bananas

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    d15sxg8h9es5.png
    ?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    If I'm wet brining a 13 lb turkey, when should I start the brine bath? I bought it on Friday evening and it's been slowly defrosting in my fridge since, so I was figuring starting Wednesday night.

48-72 hours is ideal. Start it Tuesday AM if you can.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    That might depend on your brine, what kind of concentrations of things are you using MegaMan?? We tend to brine for around 15ish hours and that's just fine, I can't imagine brining for 72.

Peen on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I don’t know what to tell you xaquin, sorry that other people know words you don’t?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    That might depend on your brine, what kind of concentrations of things are you using MegaMan?? We tend to brine for around 15ish hours and that's just fine, I can't imagine brining for 72.

Last time I did it I used Alton Brown's instructions. Though last year I did the Serious Eats dry brine with salt / baking soda. I'm doing that again because it's so much easier and doesn't require a massive bucket of chicken juice.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I became familiar with the term 'chicken maryland' in regards to butchery from watching Masterchef Australia, so it might just be a regional terminology, which seems to be backed up by this one sentence that agrees with me on Wikipedia.

also looks like the other is sometimes called "airline chicken"

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was gonna say it's probably just a regional difference, which is a cool thing to learn about, not bad or wrong

For example calling McDonald's "Maccas" is 100% better and more fun than saying "McDonald's" or "Mickey D's"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm legitimately excited to learn that Australians have a Maryland-based term for poultry cuts that most Americans have never heard of. Especially since if you asked a random sample of Americans to name all fifty states, Maryland would absolutely be on the wrong side of the awkward ellipsis in the series, almost certainly in the bottom ten states that people think about.

Language is neat and weird, and food language is at least doubly so.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Well then, TIL!

because of the name

That’s not how Names work!

• Options

Well then, TIL!

because of the name

That’s not how Names work!

whatever you say Maryland!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Boston Pizza is a Canadian pizza chain that does not make the style of pizza most common in Boston.

Names are weird.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Boston Pizza is a Canadian pizza chain that does not make the style of pizza most common in Boston.

Names are weird.

Words were a mistake, in retrospect

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm legitimately excited to learn that Australians have a Maryland-based term for poultry cuts that most Americans have never heard of. Especially since if you asked a random sample of Americans to name all fifty states, Maryland would absolutely be on the wrong side of the awkward ellipsis in the series, almost certainly in the bottom ten states that people think about.

Language is neat and weird, and food language is at least doubly so.

I once tried to name all fifty States from memory.

I started and Maine and went south then west. Which was probably a mistake since I kept getting caught up on Delaware and Rhode island.

Just got out a piece of paper and made it to 43 States

So I misplaced 7 whole states in my brain somewhere

Uriel on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Every year we watch some of the Friends Thanksgiving episodes and Ross repeatedly failing to name all 50 states is probably my favorite bit out of any of them. Every year my wife and I say we're going to try and we never do, this might have to be the year.

Peen on
  • Options
    I missed Maryland Idaho Oklahoma Minnesota Vermont and somehow both Arizona and Colorado

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I live in Maryland and have never heard anyone say such a thing

Same, but only near Maryland.

• Options
    I can name all 50 states and their capital cities. I won an award in 5th grade!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I will probably take a day-break from my vegetarianism for this.

Depends on if the stuffing is made with meat.

Also depends if I am seduced by a ham.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I can name all 50 states in alphabetical order thanks to the song we learned in grade school. I don't know a song for the capitals so I can only name a handful of those, and most that I remember are probably wrong.

JimBobtheMonkey on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    This year I'm making Gnocchi Parisienne the way my mom makes them: very light and fluffy and large, with some cheese sauce alongside some veggies. Then the next day I'm making some pasta with lemon/white wine sauce.

I gotta say I never liked a turkey main even when I was eating meat. I don't hate turkey, it tastes fine. But if I'm doing a large meat main that takes effort I'd rather do several roast chickens, or a beef wellington, or a ham, or a pork loin, or a flank steak or something. I've had people who are great at making a turkey make a turkey for Thanksgiving and I still go for seconds on the mashed potatoes or stuffing first.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I usually forget Arkansas and one of the I ones.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options

Prove it

• Options

Prove it

I'm not typing all that out!

• Options
    Sounds like what someone would say who can't remember all 50 states!

• Options
    Sounds like what someone would say who can't remember all 50 states!

this is true

but it is also what a lazy man who remembers all 50 states and their capitals would say!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If you know all 50 states I question your dedication to laziness.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig