As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    the game. so far 'popular wow streamer' and 'shitty person' have been pretty synonymous and it's making me glad 14 does not have a large streaming presence to create the negative feedback loops these people inspire
    I’m not aware of any issues with Preach, Pyromancer or Rich Campbell, to name a few I’m familiar with. Even Asmongold is a better person these days than he was years ago, if what I’ve read is correct.

doesn't seem like it given I checked out on him when he compared replacing the amazon's battle thong with real armor to 'dressing every woman like a nun'

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the game. so far 'popular wow streamer' and 'shitty person' have been pretty synonymous and it's making me glad 14 does not have a large streaming presence to create the negative feedback loops these people inspire
    I’m not aware of any issues with Preach, Pyromancer or Rich Campbell, to name a few I’m familiar with. Even Asmongold is a better person these days than he was years ago, if what I’ve read is correct.

Asmon is still a heavily polarizing figure because he's extremely opinionated either way and the game he's playing won't really affect that, but he was also definitely a victim of that negative feedback loop of WoW community toxicity. Moving over to the FF14 community helped him level off a lot.

Preach Pyro and Rich have also flatly stated that getting out of the WoW community has been nothing but good for their mental health.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I just realised that when we run the EW dungeons there won’t be any guides to read beforehand! This is going to be super fun.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I just realised that when we run the EW dungeons there won’t be any guides to read beforehand! This is going to be super fun.

Outside of actual gameplay/plot additions, everyone going into trials/dungeons blind is a high point of every expac/patch for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Outside of actual gameplay/plot additions, everyone going into trials/dungeons blind is a high point of every expac/patch for me.

This'll be my first time!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Earlier this year Asmon went on a 10 minute rant on stream about how he should be able to keep calling people and himself r****ds and how he will never stop unless Twitch bans him. So no, he never got better

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I haven't heard him use that word even one time in any of his FFXIV streams.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There are a ton of WoW streamers who basically did a complete 180 when they switched to 14, which enforces the idea that it’s all just kayfabe anyway, then and now.

Not that this would excuse any conduct, ‘pretending’ to be an ass for subs and clicks is a meaningless distinction, but it’s something to be aware of when watching your favorite twitch people.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    There are a ton of WoW streamers who basically did a complete 180 when they switched to 14, which enforces the idea that it’s all just kayfabe anyway, then and now.

Not that this would excuse any conduct, ‘pretending’ to be an ass for subs and clicks is a meaningless distinction, but it’s something to be aware of when watching your favorite twitch people.

This is actually super on display with asmongold because now he has his second Twitch channel where he isn't asmongold he's just Zack and the difference in the tone of the stream is immediately noticeable.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Decided tonight to spend the evening mining and then pumping out 40 leves worth of dwarven files. Start mining, I'm still in level 70 gear so I miss about 12% of attempts. This is bugging me. I know that logically it isn't that major, EW is only a few days away and I'll be changing all my gear soon. After 10 minutes I'm researching the best way to get white crafter scrips. Cue 3 hours of doing collectables and putting together a set of white scrip gatherer gear. End result, I can get 100% of the mining attempts, but haven't actually done any mining :) Oh well, more stuff to cram into the next couple of days. And it was super fun. Nothing beats that feedback loop of getting a new bit of gear, which makes it easier to get more gear, which makes it easier to get more gear, and so on.

And it made for a great glam too
    wek7i19c1nvl.png

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Welp with early access rapidly approaching I'm now up to the hardest part of any expansion, making my mind up about which class to play as through the story.

Normally it'd just be whichever MDPS i'm feeling at the time, but with me planning to start again on the Oceanic server release, i'm kinda bouncing between Summoner and Sage.

I'm leaning towards summoner, pending trying out sage, but who am I kidding? I know i'll probs level a healer either way to tide me over till Feb (or whatever the date ends up being).

How's everyone else faring?

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I'll be doing Dragoon for the main story with Paladin clearing the sidequests.

I'm really curious to see how much they buff those.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    a friend was kind enough to gift me a glamour piece I've been eyeing off - a bit expensive - the Summer Indigo Shirt

wasted no time gposing - I'm getting the hang of creating natural lighting too;

o3yddekzhmts.png

5t86gtl1br9a.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    a friend was kind enough to gift me a glamour piece I've been eyeing off - a bit expensive - the Summer Indigo Shirt

wasted no time gposing - I'm getting the hang of creating natural lighting too;
    single-female-lawyer-thumb-1200w.jpg

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I wish I understood how to light a shot

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Just fiddle around with the light options in gpose and sooner or later you'll luck into something good.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I wish I understood how to light a shot

The game changer moment for me was being told that when you click the 1, 2, or 3 option on the camera lighting screen, it places the light source where your camera is when you press it.

You can move a light source the same way - disable it, move camera where you want it, enable it.

everything else is just experimenting and reading about real photography lighting tips

• Options
    What exactly is gpose? Is it a separate program? Or is it some sort of mod for XIV?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What exactly is gpose? Is it a separate program? Or is it some sort of mod for XIV?

You know how a lot of games have a camera mode where you can basically freeze a moment and take neat screenshots of it? Gpose is that.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    /gpose is a chat command, it's built into the game

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So 3 days left before downtime Thursday for Early Access on Friday.

Aside from continuing to work on Ixal Rep grind and Blu farming Coil 2 for a few more things from the Mog shop…. I dunno what I want to do. Grinding out gear seems pointless atm since it’ll all be on poetics in a few days.

Guess I’ll try and top off some levels on classes so I don’t lose the xp, and maybe finish getting Botanist and Culinarian to 80 since they are in the 70s

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    How will those tomestone changes work anyway? I've never been around for when they switch those around.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They add a new tier of tomestones and stop giving out the oldest type. There is an NPC that you can use to convert the discontinued type to the lower tier tomestone. Everything that was purchasable using the discontinued tomestone type will be purchasable using poetics.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Echo wrote: »
    How will those tomestone changes work anyway? I've never been around for when they switch those around.

Your current tomestones won’t go away automatically, but they will likely have a ‘discontinued’ flag and you won’t be able to spend them on anything. Anything that can currently be bought with SHB tomestones will cost poetics instead. After a patch or so, the ability to trade tomestones will eventually go away and any unspent SHB tomestones will simply disappear.

At a vendor (historically in Revenants Toll) you can exchange any previous progression tomestones for an equal amount of poetics. The NEW tomestones likely won’t be obtainable until level 90 or after the MSQ is complete.

Crafter/gatherer scrips follow a similar, but slightly different sequence. White scrips will stick around, and effectively take the place of current yellow scrips. Yellow scrips will be treated much the same way as ‘discontinued’ tomestones and can be traded in for white tomestones, with the same caveat that the trade-in timeframe will eventually end. Then there will be a new ‘current’ scrip for the expansion, which I think they said will be purple?

Javen on
  • Options
    Allegory will go away, and an NPC will trade you 1 poetics for X allegory. Poetics will now be able to buy augmented cryptlurker gear. Revelation rewards will replace allegory, and a new high end tomestone with a weekly cap will be introduced to buy the new level 90 gear.

I feel like I'm missing something though - what will become buyable with Revelation?

• Options
    Same thing will happen to revelation as allegory

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Allegory will go away, and an NPC will trade you 1 poetics for X allegory. Poetics will now be able to buy augmented cryptlurker gear. Revelation rewards will replace allegory, and a new high end tomestone with a weekly cap will be introduced to buy the new level 90 gear.

I feel like I'm missing something though - what will become buyable with Revelation?
    Nothing, both Allegory and Revelation are going away, both of which get folded into Poetics. The new tomestones will be Aphorism (the midlevel tomestone, no weekly cap), and Astronomy (not implemented until Savage goes live four weeks later, weekly capped). During an expansion, they shift the previous top end tomestone down into being the new midlevel one, but at the launch of an expansion they're cleaning the slate outside of Poetics.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah I’m pretty sure they said Revelation and Allegory are both retired and moving to poetics.

Cause Augmented Cryptlurker gear should be the new 80 Poetics gear with 6.0

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    Welp with early access rapidly approaching I'm now up to the hardest part of any expansion, making my mind up about which class to play as through the story.

Normally it'd just be whichever MDPS i'm feeling at the time, but with me planning to start again on the Oceanic server release, i'm kinda bouncing between Summoner and Sage.

I'm leaning towards summoner, pending trying out sage, but who am I kidding? I know i'll probs level a healer either way to tide me over till Feb (or whatever the date ends up being).

How's everyone else faring?

I'm leaning SMN/SCH because no one else in my crew is likely to level a healer first. I enjoy SCH and new SMN looks sweet. I even powered out every SMN class quest from 35-70 yesterday.

I reeeeally want to play BLM tho.

• Options
    I've been BRD as DPS lately, but yeah, I'm leaning nu-SMN as the first DPS for Endwalker. (Because who am I kidding, I rotate what I consider "main" constantly.)

• Options
    I'm still not sure what I want to do.

I'm leaning towards clearing the MSQ as MCH since I've got that already at 80, and wearing the 510 crafted gear. So I'm pretty set. But long-term, I also wanting to main Sage. I'll probably maintain Sage for group play, and MCH for solo play.

The part I'm not sure about is whether or not I want to jump right into MSQ on the first day, or if I want to start by raising Sage from 70 to 80.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    EW launch is easy for me. Keep plugging away at ARR! And maybe someday I'll catch up.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i assume when this releases and i can start moving forward post HW, that i will end up overleveling a bunch or being incentivized to swap classes a lot to share xp with all of the story i'll have to go through

• Options
    Most story missions have a level requirement on them. So you might over-level a bit in older content like Stormblood and Shadowbringers. But you'd have to do most/all of the side quests, plus Beastmen quests, plus probably also some Fates and Roulettes to maintain multiple jobs. Usually it's easiest to stick with a single job through the MSQ, even if you are slightly overleveled. Maintaining multiple jobs through the MSQ sounds like a pain in the ass.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Speaking from experience, the easiest way to level multiple jobs is to drag your feet through the MSQ because you're enjoying smelling the roses so much and do daily roulettes and then queue your highest available dungeon on lower level jobs while you do.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    You'll always hit a wall in the MSQ if you just push through it. I always advise queuing up for the last dungeon you completed and just doing it whenever the queue pops. A couple extra runs of each dungeon'll keep you on pace.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I think I had Monk at 62 when I came back for Shadowbringers. I did so much roulette stuff that I was constantly 6-7 levels over the MSQ with my highest job.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    You'll always hit a wall in the MSQ if you just push through it. I always advise queuing up for the last dungeon you completed and just doing it whenever the queue pops. A couple extra runs of each dungeon'll keep you on pace.

This is true, though they are supposedly looking to avoid that this time by buffing (relatively speaking, since xp values are getting weaker) MSQ quest rewards. But we'll see.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Since it came up in FC discord, all belts not in inventory will be going to the calamity salvager. They will not be tradable so any on the marketboard will remain there, but not be searchable so you'll just have to pull it off the mb.

ajcvmuuctzqa.png

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/fa9b00ec4c19fa4306df0e169f50eb802bef5ff0

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Only if you start at the actual level (70/60/whatever). If you are a bit behind and there's an expansion ahead of where you are, you'll typically start the expansion a level or two ahead (ie starting ShB at 72), and then you will not hit any xp wall just doing the MSQ.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.