As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Murderous fascist thug [Kyle Rittenhouse] acquitted on all charges

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited November 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
First and most important post: Kyle Rittenhouse is murderous, fascist scum and shall not have his actions or his character defended in this thread.

If you want to make your own thread about how he was totally right to shoot and kill the folks that he did, don't let me stop you. That's for the mods to decide. But I won't have ink spilled on his behalf in here. If the thread title wasn't enough of a clue, I'm here to lay it down for you.

Legality != morality. Grow a conscience and save your devil's advocacy for Twitter. We don't need it here.

Hacksaw on

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    If you somehow missed it: Kyle Rittenhouse is a teenager on trial for illegally possessing a firearm and crossing state lines to murder people during the 2020 BLM protests.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Oh dope I thought about requesting a separate channel when we were doing trial recap. Good job

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I'm double posting this here since I didn't notice we were starting a new thread and I don't want it to be missed.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    He ran, but was not out of range of his weapon. You can't be said to have retreated until you're not a threat. It is impossible to distinguish retreating from moving to a better firing position. So no, not covered. In other words he didn't do this:
    in good faith withdraws from the fight and gives adequate notice thereof to his or her assailant.

And even that option is only there if you assume he in no way provoke the attack which is unlikely from the guy who was saying things like this:
    “Bro, I wish I had my [expletive] AR, I’d start shooting rounds at them,” Rittenhouse is heard saying.

when he sees shoplifting.
    Actual fact: you've been repeating a flatly wrong version of events - not even the events of the night, but the events of what Rittenhouse said in the trial today - for like 10 pages now as if it were a slam dunk. I'm not convinced your analysis of these possibilities has any bearing on reality.

The portion of the transcript you're quoting is from the defense examination. The portion I'm referring to is from cross:
    oh shit, prosecution just did well

Rittenhouse told the first aggressor that he pointed a gun at him, even though he didn't. Defense tried to object and the Judge overruled
    Sorry y'all, I'm at work too and I'm not a reporter.

Rosenbaum said "are you pointing/did you point a gun at me"

Rittenhouse said that yes, he did, and kept walking, even though he had not pointed the gun.

He specifically threatened violence in that moment. (to me)

Reread the law. The retreat option is there in the circumstance of provocation. You're also making assertions about what does or does not constitute retreat that sound a bit screwy to me. Do you have a source for that or is it just your interpretation?

Here's the first section:
    A person who engages in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke others to attack him or her and thereby does provoke an attack is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing the person engaging in the unlawful conduct to reasonably believe that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, the person engaging in the unlawful conduct is privileged to act in self-defense, but the person is not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to the person's assailant unless the person reasonably believes he or she has exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at the hands of his or her assailant.

The privilege lost by provocation may be regained if the actor in good faith withdraws from the fight and gives adequate notice thereof to his or her assailant.

The deliberate provocation section, which is what I was referring to but wasn't clear about, is after.

Here's the section on deliberate provocation:
    A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense.

note it does not include any mention of regaining the right to self defense. Given that the first section does, that quite reasonably seems that you don't get it back ever in those circumstances. Might be case law saying otherwise, dunno.

Now on retreat:
    The privilege lost by provocation may be regained if the actor in good faith withdraws from the fight and gives adequate notice thereof to his or her assailant.

where did Rittenhouse do this? Especially the last part?
    But in cross-examination, Rittenhouse said that he knew the man, Joseph Rosenbaum, was unarmed when he ran at the teenager. Rittenhouse said he pointed his rifle at Rosenbaum in an attempt to deter him, adding that he knew pointing a rifle at someone is dangerous.

"He was chasing me, I was alone, he threatened to kill me earlier that night. I didn't want to have to shoot him," Rittenhouse testified. "I pointed it at him because he kept running at me and I didn't want him to chase me."

"retreat" and "pointing a gun at someone" aren't really compatible. If someone with a rifle runs, then turns back at you and points it...what do you expect is going to happen?

Oh, I appreciate the clarification. I didn't realize Xeddicus had left off the end of the (c) subsection.

As to whether Rittenhouse withdrew from the fight and gave adequate notice thereof to his assailant, I'm not ignoring that part. I haven't watched enough yet to be comfortable making an assertion either way. A lot also hinges on what does or does not constitute withdrawal and adequate notice in the eyes of the law.

With regards to the sarcastic "yeah, I pointed my gun at you," I found the relevant clip. See timestamp 4:26:52
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzj48oL6T0&t=16012s
    I remember seeing this clip around the time amateurhour posted

Rittenhouse said that yes, he did, and kept walking, even though he had not pointed the gun.

and I believe it's what AH is referring to. The guy in question was not Rosenbaum. In the moment Rittenhouse made his reply he had his right hand on the handle of his gun and his left hand on its butt, with it pointed almost straight down, which is absolutely not a threatening posture or how you hold a rifle if you're intending to use it in the immediate future. He also walks away from the very brief interaction (~7 seconds) with a visible kind of grin. You can't hear his words well enough to make out tone, but his expression lends credence to the assertion that he was overtly sarcastic with his response. Having watched it a few times through, I don't believe it's reasonable to interpret any threat or intimidation in the exchange as shown.

I'm guessing you were basing the bolded section of this quote on amateurhour's apparently false description.
    Rittenhouse, by his own admission in court, told the person he shot that he had pointed the gun at him just moments before the chase happened. That action, if it happened, is both a crime AND a lethal threat to the other person. In other words, Rittenhouse provoked the attack and thereby lost his claim to self-defense.

By the way, @DarkPrimus, experiences like this are exactly why I maintain that devotion to getting the details right must come before allegiance to any party. If I had been too timid about "consorting with demons," or too concerned with what Rittenhouse "represents" instead of what he, you know, did... I would have let this particular bit of misinformation pass and proliferate. Do you still have a problem with me playing devil's advocate when I am verifiably correct?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    If you somehow missed it: Kyle Rittenhouse is a teenager on trial for illegally possessing a firearm and crossing state lines to murder people during the 2020 BLM protests.

strictly speaking the primary problem is that he is not on trial for those things

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Fuck this kid. Like even if you actually buy into his claims of self defence the fact remains he crossed state lines with an ar15 to play proud-boy on property he had no claim to, and as such he needs to be put away for a long ass time.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Isn't this trial very specifically about whether or not he acted in self-defense when he killed those people?

It's not about whether he was out past curfew or in illegal possession of a firearm.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Those minor details speak directly to his claims of “self-defense”

He went looking for trouble and instigated a confrontation in a town that wasn’t his, in a state that wasn’t his, at a time he wasn’t supposed to be on the street, with a gun he wasn’t legally allowed to possess.

Unfortunately the judge has arbitrarily decided that since the objective facts of the case paint the defendant in such a damning light they must be excluded and any accurate description of the defendant must be excluded as well.

As to his claims of self-defense, it’s an old trick for a murderer (or their defense attorney) to smear his victim as the aggressor. After all, they’re not around to say otherwise anymore.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Isn't this trial very specifically about whether or not he acted in self-defense when he killed those people?

It's not about whether he was out past curfew or in illegal possession of a firearm.

I thought he is charged with illegal possession of a firearm and not contesting that charge? Or was that charge dismissed?

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Fuck this kid. Like even if you actually buy into his claims of self defence the fact remains he crossed state lines with an ar15 to play proud-boy on property he had no claim to, and as such he needs to be put away for a long ass time.

Heads up, if you slightly mess any detail concerning guns, you will be taken down a rabbithole of legalese-fu. As far as I know, he didnt travel "with" the AR, but was given the weapon when he arrived. Doesnt change the mo

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Bringing a gun to a protest is the initial threat of deadly violence. EVERYTHING that happens following that choice is the fault of the person who brought the gun, and the person carrying the gun. A gun is a deadly threat to everyone present. The fact that there is actual legal arguments to why Rittenhouse might not be guilty to murder is reason number I lost count for why I'm working on getting the fuck out of this backwards hell hole called America.

Rittenhouse is a murderer, and anyone defending him is a goose of the highest order.

Veevee on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    This is a depressing trial.

Regardless of how long this kid does or does not wind up in jail for, there is clearly a large portion of the population that includes a lot of people in positions of power who don't see any issue with murdering people at BLM protests. And we live in a country where it's extremely easy to get a gun, and basically legal to murder people if you do it with a car.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Regardless of how long this kid does or does not wind up in jail for, there is clearly a large portion of the population that includes a lot of people in positions of power who don't see any issue with murdering people at BLM protests. And we live in a country where it's extremely easy to get a gun, and basically legal to murder people if you do it with a car.

The only logical conclusion is for BLM protestors to shoot first because shooting second can very easily mean you're dead. Bringing a gun to counter-protest is a direct threat to the protestors life, so they should be able to respond in self-defense of their life, right?

Is this the end result you Rittenhouse defenders want? Because that's the end result you get if you keep defending pieces of shit like him

Veevee on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I think I saw some new claim that a person he killed was a pedophile. I mean, doesn't make a difference since even if true he couldn't have known and thus used it as an "excuse."*

Gotta feed the narrative, though.

* Not that I'm suggesting shooting/killing anyone outside of actual self-defense or defense of another.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    So, right in the middle of the defense arguing for a mistrial with prejudice, the judge’s cell phone went off. Turns out his ringtone is God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood… also known that song they played whenever Trump walked onstage during a rally.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/bruce-schroeder-kyle-rittenhouse-judge-phone-b1955443.html

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So, right in the middle of the defense arguing for a mistrial with prejudice, the judge’s cell phone went off. Turns out his ringtone is God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood… also known that song they played whenever Trump walked onstage during a rally.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/bruce-schroeder-kyle-rittenhouse-judge-phone-b1955443.html

Did 2021's writers go on strike and they brought in a bunch of hack scabs?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Did 2021's writers go on strike and they brought in a bunch of hack scabs?

2020’s writers refused to acknowledge that the year ended. They locked themselves in the writers’ room during a COVID-induced fever dream and have been cranking out stories while mainlining horse paste and beet juice.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

The only logical conclusion is for BLM protestors to shoot first because shooting second can very easily mean you're dead. Bringing a gun to counter-protest is a direct threat to the protestors life, so they should be able to respond in self-defense of their life, right?

Is this the end result you Rittenhouse defenders want? Because that's the end result you get if you keep defending pieces of shit like him

Does it feel like predominantly white conservatives have engineered a series if laws and events to spark a race war? Yeah, it does.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    MalReynolds was warned for this.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Does it feel like predominantly white conservatives have engineered a series if laws and events to spark a race war? Yeah, it does.

Yes, but as long as it's written down that makes it quotable and superior, and as long as you can point to a paper and WeLl AcTuAlLy it makes you better, per the frankly shocking number of Rittenhouse apologists I've seen in this and the other thread.

Grossass fucking technicality rimmers can eat my fuckin foot of wood.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    If Rittenhouse was black, police would've executed him on the spot

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    I think I saw some new claim that a person he killed was a pedophile. I mean, doesn't make a difference since even if true he couldn't have known and thus used it as an "excuse."*

* Not that I'm suggesting shooting/killing anyone outside of actual self-defense or defense of another.

Early on, all three victims were doxxed, and, shortly thereafter, accused of a host of crimes. Some were true, others weren't. One of them was convicted of sexually abusing 5 boys in 2002. Another had convictions for assault (against family members when they tried to get him mental help), but was falsely accused of rape by Rittenhouse's defenders. The one who survived had no convictions, but was once arrested for burglary, which was immediately pounced on.

But as you said, there is no way Rittenhouse could have known any of it. They really want that third guy to be guilty of something, because without it, the gun he was carrying was perfectly legal (unlike Rittenhouse's).

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    And importantly, none of those crimes carries a death sentence to be carried out by a random yahoo in the street

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    But as you said, there is no way Rittenhouse could have known any of it. They really want that third guy to be guilty of something, because without it, the gun he was carrying was perfectly legal (unlike Rittenhouse's).

But also, even if he had a Terminator style retinal display that showed those two had a prior history of law related issues...

So. Fucking. What?

First, he's not a law enforcement officer. Second, those charges/convictions don't come with a default of an extrajudicial death sentence.

It's like when the George Floyd "he's no angel" shit started. Do. Not. Care. Nothing he did before he was killed was a capital crime warranting execution, so fuck anyone who used that as a defence for his death.

Anyone using the argument that the victim's priors (even if they were known), warranted being killed, is arguing in the worst possible bad faith.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Kyle Rittenhouse is a white supremacist Proud Boy fuck who went hunting human beings and he deserves to spend the rest of his life in a fucking prison cell.

edit: also, a lot of y'all are really feverishly attempting to justify organized white supremacist violence and it's fuckin ghoulish.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm double posting this here since I didn't notice we were starting a new thread and I don't want it to be missed.
    He ran, but was not out of range of his weapon. You can't be said to have retreated until you're not a threat. It is impossible to distinguish retreating from moving to a better firing position. So no, not covered. In other words he didn't do this:
    in good faith withdraws from the fight and gives adequate notice thereof to his or her assailant.

And even that option is only there if you assume he in no way provoke the attack which is unlikely from the guy who was saying things like this:
    “Bro, I wish I had my [expletive] AR, I’d start shooting rounds at them,” Rittenhouse is heard saying.

when he sees shoplifting.
    Actual fact: you've been repeating a flatly wrong version of events - not even the events of the night, but the events of what Rittenhouse said in the trial today - for like 10 pages now as if it were a slam dunk. I'm not convinced your analysis of these possibilities has any bearing on reality.

The portion of the transcript you're quoting is from the defense examination. The portion I'm referring to is from cross:
    oh shit, prosecution just did well

Rittenhouse told the first aggressor that he pointed a gun at him, even though he didn't. Defense tried to object and the Judge overruled

Reread the law. The retreat option is there in the circumstance of provocation. You're also making assertions about what does or does not constitute retreat that sound a bit screwy to me. Do you have a source for that or is it just your interpretation?

Here's the first section:
    A person who engages in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke others to attack him or her and thereby does provoke an attack is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing the person engaging in the unlawful conduct to reasonably believe that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, the person engaging in the unlawful conduct is privileged to act in self-defense, but the person is not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to the person's assailant unless the person reasonably believes he or she has exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at the hands of his or her assailant.

The deliberate provocation section, which is what I was referring to but wasn't clear about, is after.

Here's the section on deliberate provocation:
    A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense.

note it does not include any mention of regaining the right to self defense. Given that the first section does, that quite reasonably seems that you don't get it back ever in those circumstances. Might be case law saying otherwise, dunno.

Now on retreat:

where did Rittenhouse do this? Especially the last part?
    But in cross-examination, Rittenhouse said that he knew the man, Joseph Rosenbaum, was unarmed when he ran at the teenager. Rittenhouse said he pointed his rifle at Rosenbaum in an attempt to deter him, adding that he knew pointing a rifle at someone is dangerous.

"He was chasing me, I was alone, he threatened to kill me earlier that night. I didn't want to have to shoot him," Rittenhouse testified. "I pointed it at him because he kept running at me and I didn't want him to chase me."

"retreat" and "pointing a gun at someone" aren't really compatible. If someone with a rifle runs, then turns back at you and points it...what do you expect is going to happen?

Oh, I appreciate the clarification. I didn't realize Xeddicus had left off the end of the (c) subsection.

As to whether Rittenhouse withdrew from the fight and gave adequate notice thereof to his assailant, I'm not ignoring that part. I haven't watched enough yet to be comfortable making an assertion either way. A lot also hinges on what does or does not constitute withdrawal and adequate notice in the eyes of the law.

With regards to the sarcastic "yeah, I pointed my gun at you," I found the relevant clip. See timestamp 4:26:52
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzj48oL6T0&t=16012s
    I remember seeing this clip around the time amateurhour posted

and I believe it's what AH is referring to. The guy in question was not Rosenbaum. In the moment Rittenhouse made his reply he had his right hand on the handle of his gun and his left hand on its butt, with it pointed almost straight down, which is absolutely not a threatening posture or how you hold a rifle if you're intending to use it in the immediate future. He also walks away from the very brief interaction (~7 seconds) with a visible kind of grin. You can't hear his words well enough to make out tone, but his expression lends credence to the assertion that he was overtly sarcastic with his response. Having watched it a few times through, I don't believe it's reasonable to interpret any threat or intimidation in the exchange as shown.

I'm guessing you were basing the bolded section of this quote on amateurhour's apparently false description.
    Rittenhouse, by his own admission in court, told the person he shot that he had pointed the gun at him just moments before the chase happened. That action, if it happened, is both a crime AND a lethal threat to the other person. In other words, Rittenhouse provoked the attack and thereby lost his claim to self-defense.

By the way, DarkPrimus, experiences like this are exactly why I maintain that devotion to getting the details right must come before allegiance to any party. If I had been too timid about "consorting with demons," or too concerned with what Rittenhouse "represents" instead of what he, you know, did... I would have let this particular bit of misinformation pass and proliferate. Do you still have a problem with me playing devil's advocate when I am verifiably correct?

"Verifiably correct" about what, you trying to defend Kyle Rittenhouse while steadfastly refusing to talk about the goddamn surrounding context of this incident? You insisting that we must be able to talk about this as some sort of hermetically sealed isolated incident, and how mean we are for distracting from the issue by bringing up these directly related issues permeating our society that lead to and surround this?

You had plenty of opportunities to engage with the points and concerns raised and make your separation from the white nationalist vigilantes who are lionizing Rittenhouse and his ilk and love dreaming about going out and shooting up protesters. You still do have that opportunity, I suppose, but you're going to have to go back and quote my earlier posts from the Police Brutality thread because I'm done wasting time on someone who keeps trying to go on about "this is debate and discourse!" while refusing to engage with the uncomfortable questions raised by the opinions they put forth.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I think they should openly and publicly discuss making sure they are armed to the teeth, because it’ll be the only way we get meaningful gun control laws.

Show some videos of POCs using AR-15s and mowing down targets, and you’ll find AR-15s highly restricted.

zepherin on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

I think they should openly and publicly discuss making sure they are armed to the teeth, because it’ll be the only way we get meaningful gun control laws.

Show some videos of POCs using AR-15s and mowing down targets, and you’ll find AR-15s highly restricted.

I think the answer to gun violence isn't more guns, but if it's open season on protesters (even more than it is now since you can legally run over them) then I don't know what the answer is other than for protestors to arm themselves in defense.

Which I think is more or less what a lot of people want.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I think the answer to gun violence isn't more guns, but if it's open season on protesters (even more than it is now since you can legally run over them) then I don't know what the answer is other than for protestors to arm themselves in defense.

Which I think is more or less what a lot of people want.

Yup. Because that's when the police get to "feared for my life" shit, and it's going to result in a mass casualty event, which both puts fear into protests going forward, a d makes it easier to crack down on protests, period.

I mean, look at the "justification" that were used during the BLM protest, with cans of soup being seen as a "threat". The left start open carrying, and things will start getting bloody real quick.

The right, of course, face no repercussions for open carrying during a protest.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Maybe we should keep the police protest brutality to the police brutality thread, too?

This feels like a specific thread for Rittenhouse. Or did I misread it?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As Jamelle Bouie reminds us, there are other vigilantes out there, on trial right now in fact.
    interesting that we’re watching two criminal cases which will turn on whether a jury believes the shooter(s) were justified when they indulged their fantasized desire to inflict violence in defense of private property

But of course, as Ryan Cooper of The Week recalls, not everyone gets their day in court:
    funny how this guy never got a day in court to argue his case for self-defense
    Michael Forest Reinoehl was a self-described "anti-fascist" who had fatally shot an alt-righter who was threatening him and other protestors in Portland

Was he allowed his day in court? No, US Marshals gunned him down in the street and President Trump relished in it. "They knew who he was; they didn't want to arrest him, and in 15 minutes that ended." The police of course lied about the threat Reinoehl posed - eyewitness accounts and later documentation proved that he had not fired at the police or even laid hands on a weapon before he was extrajudicially executed.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    PBS has the best live stream so far. I'm catching up on the last hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyppmuFxwKk

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Day 8 updates:

The Prosecution objected to a video technician because he was giving testimony based on speculation.

The Jury was removed, it was argued, and the Judge has gone back on an order he allowed earlier in the trial, hurting the prosecution in the process.

I want to see the IRS reports for this Judge in 2-3 years.

• Options
    The judge has reached a compromise with P and D to allow the expert's testimony, but limit it to specific times only, and he has to remove all of his speculation which was WILDLY in favor of Rittenhouse.

• Options
    I’m not allowed to hop on my laptop today. So I can’t follow as close as I’d like.

• Options
    m47bxdgumkht.png

• Options
    I’m not allowed to hop on my laptop today. So I can’t follow as close as I’d like.

I've got a bunch of shit around the cabin need's doing but I'm off today and it's raining so y'all get this instead for a bit

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    what caused the defense lawyer to hang his head like that, AH?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Apparently the video expert is a weeb because during setup the judge asked about the Kanji screensaver/background the expert had.

He said "I don't know your honor, it's just the screensaver"

PERJURY!

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    what caused the defense lawyer to hang his head like that, AH?

They lost the bid to let their video expert also be an expert on human dynamics and emotions through body movement.

He had named the files "FRIENDLY FRIENDLY FRIENDLY" and "ON THE WAY TO SURRENDER.MP4"

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Joseph Rosenbaum, who was the first to be shot. Rosenbaum is the classic case of someone who should actually have been permanently in a medical psych ward. Allegedly sexually abused by his stepfather, he went on to sexually molest and anally rape children aged 9-11 of families who took him in after his mother kicked him out of their home. He was then jailed for about a decade, before being released with a significant bipolar disorder diagnosis. More recently he domestically assaulted his fiancee, for which he was booked but released (classic policework :/ ), and around the same time he attempted suicide, and was briefly taken into a psych ward before being released shortly before (on?) the night in question. Kenosha pharmacists had been boarded up due to the protests so he was unable to refill his medicine for BPD.

"He was no angel" is normally something like "he sold weed" or "he had a prior for assault a few years beforehand." Rosenbaum is not that. He was a severely mentally ill person who, in an actual functioning and caring society, would have been in psych care for far longer than he was. This isn't some "Rittenhouse did the world a favour" defence, but it is important to understand that Rosenbaum had been shouting death threats at people and daring others to shoot him over the course of the evening, and then ended up chasing a fleeing Rittenhouse trying to take his gun. He was mentally ill and off medication, which does not mean he deserves to be shot, but does explain why he consistently and precariously escalated the situation upon meeting a teenager with a rifle. Even if Rittenhouse doesn't know Rosenbaum's history, it is immediately evident from his behaviour that he is not acting sanely and is possibly dangerous. That might actually fall under self-defence, despite Rittenhouse's possession and transport of the firearm being totally illegal.

Huber and Grosskreutz, while they might have criminal convictions, were not escalating: they were responding to what they see as (and by any reasonable definition is) a vigilante shooter, and even if Grosskreutz does point his pistol at Rittenhouse, he does so knowing that Rittenhouse has just shot (and probably killed) two people. Their criminal histories don't have any bearing on their behaviour, and people bringing them up are doing so without critical thought. Ideally, police intervention after Rosenbaum's shooting would've prevented further escalation, and that's another major failing here. This is the point where you want authorities to step in, stop Rittenhouse leaving the scene and people surrounding him attempting any immediate retaliation, but nothing like that happened because, y'know, 'murica.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Is this the same lawyer he had when he moved without informing law enforcement?

This discussion has been closed.