As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Sounds like I should wait a bit before jumping in. I appreciate the clarification, and the news they backpedaled on the harsher statements made during FF14 development conferences focusing on multiplayer only development.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Heck yeah! I might give it a spin sometime

Virgil_Leads_You people are probably forgetting about this, there's still some parts of the multiplayer content required by the story that have to be done with other people. All the main story "dungeons" (4 person party, fight a bunch of mooks punctuated by a few bosses in a dungeon-y place) are gonna be done getting the NPC party treatment soon, but so far they have not done the same for "trials" (a single large boss fight with 8 players) and "raids" (a longer dungeon that's mostly just 4 boss fights in a row with 24 players). There's a lot of trials required by the story, and 3 raids right at the end of ARR, but that raid is fairly easy at least and is the only required-by-the-main-story one. They might hypothetically, someday, make these doable with NPC parties, but they haven't indicated they're going to yet. There is one trial fight in the latest expansion that they let you bring an NPC party for as kind of an experiment I guess, it worked nicely but they haven't added that to any other trials before it or after it yet.

Nobody "forgot," there was a response to the claim that Yoshi-P had "complete defiance at opening up FF14 for single player users"

And even then the response was that there was "more" single-player content, not that the whole game had changed

Providing additional information is helpful, but you ain't gotta correct people who weren't wrong

I just didn't want him to spend money on 14 only to discover that it was not actually playable entirely single player, since that sounded like it was a dealbreaker for him

e: oh sorry for @'ing you again virgil

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Heck yeah! I might give it a spin sometime

Virgil_Leads_You people are probably forgetting about this, there's still some parts of the multiplayer content required by the story that have to be done with other people. All the main story "dungeons" (4 person party, fight a bunch of mooks punctuated by a few bosses in a dungeon-y place) are gonna be done getting the NPC party treatment soon, but so far they have not done the same for "trials" (a single large boss fight with 8 players) and "raids" (a longer dungeon that's mostly just 4 boss fights in a row with 24 players). There's a lot of trials required by the story, and 3 raids right at the end of ARR, but that raid is fairly easy at least and is the only required-by-the-main-story one. They might hypothetically, someday, make these doable with NPC parties, but they haven't indicated they're going to yet. There is one trial fight in the latest expansion that they let you bring an NPC party for as kind of an experiment I guess, it worked nicely but they haven't added that to any other trials before it or after it yet.

Nobody "forgot," there was a response to the claim that Yoshi-P had "complete defiance at opening up FF14 for single player users"

And even then the response was that there was "more" single-player content, not that the whole game had changed

Providing additional information is helpful, but you ain't gotta correct people who weren't wrong

I just didn't want him to spend money on 14 only to discover that it was not actually playable entirely single player, since that sounded like it was a dealbreaker for him

e: oh sorry for @'ing you again virgil

Well! You know he can check out quite a bit of the game without spending any money at all. The free trial includes the base game, as well as the critically acclaimed first expansion, Heavensward! That's all the way up to level 60, with no limits on play time

• Options
    Also the ARR story trials are available with the NPC party

• Options
    oh they are? the primals and such? ok then, thought they weren't

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    oh they are? the primals and such? ok then, thought they weren't

The ones you fight on the way to level 50 have duty support now. But they have always been 4-man fights and I think have always been classified as dungeons, not trials.

The post-level 50, 2.1-2.5 primal fights are still 8-man and don't have duty support.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Gods damned those are some pretty environments.

• Options
    damn yeah I'm impressed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    are we all forgetting the greatest romance of all time in FF9, between Freya and Sir Fratley?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have thought about starting FFXIV so many times

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Rolling along in Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Got to Chapter 4 and took a bit of time to grind out two shiny shits that boost EXP earned after battle, then save scummed the 1000 Yen farm option until I got a couple Tactician USB equips that also boost EXP and shoved those into the shiny shits. Later I'll make a third shiny shit and then turn all three into flying shiny shits for even more EXP.

With my powerleveling in place for the moment though I ranked my party up and down to get high level abilities learned from their various Ultimate forms. I could get to Mega but those cost a ton of memory so one would take up half my roster immediately. Got a lot of new entries in my bestiary though.

Current party now that I'm to resume the story is two Champions (Greymon, Gatomon), two Rookies (Palmon, Renamon), and then whoever else I could fit to leech EXP. I might be able to fit an Ultimate in there and if I can I'll take Palmon up to Lilymon since she's got Brainy personality (higher INT) and I've loaded her with Level 3 magic.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Haven’t played for a week or so but I am now on d4 of legend of dragoon.I am nowhere near where I wanted to be on some of my less used characters addition mastery so I might just swap to their strongest ones and hard level them before I hit the “everyone must face their past alone” part.

I’ve been very specifically avoiding defaulting to kongol and albert on the team like I did as a kid. I have discovered that I love meru. She doesn’t hit as hard but she’s fast as hell and has I think a better/comparable party heal to Miranda for big bosses.

As disappointed as I am with the barebones achievements, not having one for mastering all the additions/dragoon levels at least means I’m not tempted to grind forever

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Live-A-Live remake getting ported to PlayStation and Steam April 27:

https://youtu.be/SjQPmA-QmeU

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    I gotta get back to that
    I started with the prehistoric chapter and it's not totally wowing me but I can see the bones are there for the other chapters do to more interesting stuff

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I gotta get back to that
    I started with the prehistoric chapter and it's not totally wowing me but I can see the bones are there for the other chapters do to more interesting stuff

Each chapter is so wildly different that if you don't like one particular one then it's still worth trying the others.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I gotta get back to that

Each chapter is so wildly different that if you don't like one particular one then it's still worth trying the others.

And they're each so short that you never feel like your time is wasted. I adore that game, and Octopath 2 is hitting those same notes for me. Longer game, but shorter chunks of story that I really enjoy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Playing Cyber Sleuth more. It's kind of interesting to me how there's a few Digimon split into male and female versions, but every time the female versions are the higher rank. Angemon is a Champion rank Digimon but Angewomon is an Ultimate, same with Devimon and LadyDevimon. There's also a unique Mega rank that is a fusion of the two but I haven't evolved into it yet because DNA Digivolving (Fusion) technically burns the second one, meaning if you Digivolve back down to Ultimate you will only get the base Digimon back, not whoever it was fused with.

Oddly enough though there's some evolution routes where you can evolve past Mega with a different evolution then Digivolve back down into the fusion Mega without needing to actually fuse.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Playing Cyber Sleuth more. It's kind of interesting to me how there's a few Digimon split into male and female versions, but every time the female versions are the higher rank. Angemon is a Champion rank Digimon but Angewomon is an Ultimate, same with Devimon and LadyDevimon. There's also a unique Mega rank that is a fusion of the two but I haven't evolved into it yet because DNA Digivolving (Fusion) technically burns the second one, meaning if you Digivolve back down to Ultimate you will only get the base Digimon back, not whoever it was fused with.

Oddly enough though there's some evolution routes where you can evolve past Mega with a different evolution then Digivolve back down into the fusion Mega without needing to actually fuse.

I think that often has to do with the female versions being revealed after the male versions(e.g. Devimon/Angemon were the big climax of S1 of the anime(ep 13) and Angewomon/Ladydevimon weren't for another like 25 episodes later or something like that) so they tended to be the usual subjects of anime power creep. There are further male/female versions of both that are at the same rank, though.

• Options
    huh did anyone notice octopath traveler 2 came out 2 months ago? it completely went under my radar, I think square enix gave it a negative marketing budget outside of japan since octopath 1 was marketed by nintendo as an exclusive

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    It's on my to-play list after Atelier Ryza 3, Trails into Reverie and, potentially, Everspace 2.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    huh did anyone notice octopath traveler 2 came out 2 months ago? it completely went under my radar, I think square enix gave it a negative marketing budget outside of japan since octopath 1 was marketed by nintendo as an exclusive

I just finished it last night. Really enjoyed it a lot more than the first one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I have a lot of Battle Network games to get through

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I did as I saw a bunch of commercials for it on Tubi!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It’s weird I can’t preorder the FF Pixel Remasters on PS5

• Options
    Hey it always comes up (usually when someone complains about Ffxvi lol) that square is still doing a lot of retro turn based rpgs.

But I feel like the ones I always see are either full on set turn based, or more on the action side.

Has anyone out there been making modern games with ATB type systems? Feels like it’s the style that’s not getting any love but to me that was peak party rpg system, and there’s gotta be some dev out there who also loved it

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hey it always comes up (usually when someone complains about Ffxvi lol) that square is still doing a lot of retro turn based rpgs.

But I feel like the ones I always see are either full on set turn based, or more on the action side.

Has anyone out there been making modern games with ATB type systems? Feels like it’s the style that’s not getting any love but to me that was peak party rpg system, and there’s gotta be some dev out there who also loved it

does chained echoes count

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Not that I know of, outside square's old FF remakes

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I do want to play that I've heard great things. It looks like it's got the "show you everyone's turn order" at the top (and I assume that is manipulatable) kind of combat system

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I do want to play that I've heard great things. It looks like it's got the "show you everyone's turn order" at the top (and I assume that is manipulatable) kind of combat system

yup, there's skills and stats that manipulate turn order/speed. I played through the game over the holidays; loved it a lot.

• Options
    Chained Echoes TECHNICALLY fits but it’s lacking to me because I can’t really grind and get overpowered.

I love grinding and getting overpowered

• Options
    you totally can grind for skill points to level up skills. but you don't really need to. leveling and unlocking skills is restricted to story progression/bosses though.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFlf_S5Woug

Eyyy. Time to actually play XB3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    did I spy some zohars

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Started playing CrossCode. For only being able to say two words, three as of when I stopped for the night, Lea is surprisingly good at interacting with people.

Just finished beating up the spiky haired chuuni in a duel so that was fun.

• Options
    Sony! Why can’t I get the Pixel Remasters yet?!?

It says the 19th dammit!!!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also FF16 pre-launch event on June 11. Likely when the demo comes out!

If it's really the start of the game and carries over I'll wait until the day before launch and then use it as a headstart haha.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Started playing CrossCode. For only being able to say two words, three as of when I stopped for the night, Lea is surprisingly good at interacting with people.

Just finished beating up the spiky haired chuuni in a duel so that was fun.

I love CrossCode. Still need to beat it at some point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crosscode is great. Some of those puzzles get hella complicated later but their never so obtuse you can’t figure them out.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    CrossCode is a great game. I speedran it for a bit too. Definitely recommend it. I will say, you'll want to keep your equipment up to date or boss fights become slogs.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Well the individual games are for sale but I can’t find the bundle!

They even warn you not to buy them more than once because there’s a bundle.

Where the hell is it?

This discussion has been closed.