As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Kyle Rittenhouse Thread In Which We Take As a Given That Kyle Was Wrong and Stupid

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Yeah long term Rittenhouse is more likely to go the Zimmerman route of auctioning off the murder weapon and signing peoples guns at CPAC as his life gradually spirals out of control than becoming some GOP phenom.

He almost certainly is not smart or stable enough to use whatever right wing cachet this gives him and is dumb and insecure and also surrounded by yes men enough he is likely to spiral.

After a few months, the next time we hear about him will be when he beats his girlfriend and gets arrested / pulls a gun drunk at an IHOP / gets a DUI and they find a shitload of drugs and guns in the car.

This is basically where this story ends. The US is maybe 6 months from someone opening fire at another protest, and that'll be the end of Rittenhouse's relevance (whoever does it will probably not get away with it, and I'll put high odds on it'll be some over 60s person who'll be yelling about how they need to defend themselves).
    Protest?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/21/us/wisconsin-parade-crash-shooting.html
    Driver Plows S.U.V. Into Holiday Parade in Wisconsin
    More than 20 people were injured on Sunday after the driver of an S.U.V. plowed into a holiday parade in downtown Waukesha, Wis., the city’s police chief said.
    Chief Daniel Thompson of the Waukesha police said at a news conference on Sunday night that the S.U.V. came through the parade route just before 4:40 p.m. local time. A “suspect vehicle” had been secured, he said, and the scene was safe.
    Tom Hickey, 25, was walking near a friend’s float at the back of the parade when he heard honking behind him.
    A man wearing a sweatshirt and gray hat who was driving a red Ford Escape was trying to make his way through the crowd. Mr. Hickey said he thought the driver was lost.
    Then, the driver took a right turn onto the main parade route, gunned the engine and moved through the parade route at what appeared to be top speed, he said.
    “When he made that right turn, that’s when he turned really dangerous,” Mr. Hickey said. Amid screaming people and the roar of the car’s engine, Mr. Hickey also heard what he described as about five gunshots.

It's a very new story and details are still coming out. But the proximity to Kenosha has everyone on edge and wondering if this is related.

My immediate instinct is terrorism related and not Rittenhouse in this case.

Right wing white nationalist and Islamic terrorists have been encouraging use of vehicles to attack crowds. Hell if anyone remembers the asshole from Charlottesville also tried to claim self defense for why they ploughed through a crowd with their vehicle.

Just a note here that this is reminiscent of the Toronto van attack a few years back, which was by an incel

If it is terror related there's a lot of potential motivators; if it is indeed from someone fleeing the scene of another crime that's... not great if the cops chased them to this location

I haven't seen anything about a cop chase.

It's the current guesswork about the person fleeing the scene of a stabbing

But I don't really...know I'd be confident committing to that as a motive without further confirmation past secret Twitter informants, because that car did not look like they gave a shit about speeding through the crowd so...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You don't need to be chased to flee is my point.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I'm now willing to bet that this has little to do with rittenhouse

Yeah so far I'm seeing literally nothing out of this story that suggests any connections at all.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Edit

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Let's leave the parade story alone in here unless we get some strong evidence that it has some connection to the Rittenhouse case.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I forgot I still had a few old high school friends who are right wing nuts on Instagram because I barely use it.

I guess the play now is calling out the prosecution for doing the gun thing and saying all of this was a media smokescreen to obfuscate from the Maxwell trial and how come there isn't video coverage of that (federal criminal) trial huh?

My lord these people are exhausting

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Just realized that when Rittenhouse said he supported BLM, he didn't specify which BLM he meant. I think he has a history of vocal support for Blue Lives Matter.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    It doesnt matter what he said. He could go out in main street and shoot people and not lose a single vote.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So while I'm sure he is just being dishonest / trolling, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if he just - after all this - hasn't critically examined his beliefs and just happens to hold incoherent positions. It's quite possible he doesn't have anything against black people and thinks black lives matter and the problem is THOSE people and that they aren't protesting peacefully.

Because he's not racist and it really hurts his feelings so many people think he is, because the worst hate speech possible is accusing a white person of being racist.

Rittenhouse doesn't strike me as someone who is actually clever enough to play both sides, and may genuinely be one of those useful idiots who thinks his actions were nothing about race but instead about 'protecting property from rioters'.

Not making excuses for him, just saying sometimes people are dumb and have no introspection that would challenge their self image of them being a good person. There's a reason the 'baddies' sketch is such classic satire.

Edit - and just to be clear, it is mostly academic because his actions were to go and murder two, almost three people in the name of white supremacy.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I forgot I still had a few old high school friends who are right wing nuts on Instagram because I barely use it.

I guess the play now is calling out the prosecution for doing the gun thing and saying all of this was a media smokescreen to obfuscate from the Maxwell trial and how come there isn't video coverage of that (federal criminal) trial huh?

getting some blaming the victim too of 'why would you run at someone with a gun pointed at you'

like, do I want to get shot in the front or the back?

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

getting some blaming the victim too of 'why would you run at someone with a gun pointed at you'

I mean that's the basics of active shooter training.

Run, hide, fight.

If you can't run, and you can't hide, you fight as dirty and hard as you can for your life. In an parking lot when someone's pointing an assault rifle at you, the first two are off the table and even if you can't stop them maybe you can slow them down or distract them enough everyone else can get away or get an opening to attack.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I figure he's either trolling, or he sees how the right-wing machine wants to make him a figurehead and he doesn't want to be a public figure so he's trying to torpedo his standing among the right.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if part it is because of his actual peers. taking photos with the proud boys is great and all, but he hasn't graduated high school I believe and who's going to want to hang out with the kid that murdered some guys

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hedging is generally pragmatic

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I figure he's either trolling, or he sees how the right-wing machine wants to make him a figurehead and he doesn't want to be a public figure so he's trying to torpedo his standing among the right.
    To be honest it’s probably the best plan for him in the long run is to be forgotten.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Run, hide, fight.

If you can't run, and you can't hide, you fight as dirty and hard as you can for your life. In an parking lot when someone's pointing an assault rifle at you, the first two are off the table and even if you can't stop them maybe you can slow them down or distract them enough everyone else can get away or get an opening to attack.

And always be decisive. Don't hem and haw, don't weigh pros and cons. Make your decision and go as hard as you can, because you are at a severe disadvantage immediately. It is hammered home that seconds of indecision can be the difference.
    There's no actual way to make an informed decision in that instance, because the time it takes to find out can cost you your life.

So maybe don't introduce a firearm to a tense situation in the first place.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I am fully willing to believe that Rittenhouse was an underdeveloped fascist who had no idea what the fuck he was doing when he shot 3 people.

But that also requires all the 'this is a win for self defence' crowd to like, acknowledge they're letting someone legally a child cry wolf whenever and murder folk.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Unless there's a super conservative college out there where not a single student will blink an eye at a murderer being in their midst, Rittenhouse's probably not going to college any time soon, so his only hope for life going forward is either to change his name and try to fade from the public eye or to embrace the right wingnut circuit and become the shithead they so desperately want him to be.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Unless there's a super conservative college out there where not a single student will blink an eye at a murderer being in their midst, Rittenhouse's probably not going to college any time soon, so his only hope for life going forward is either to change his name and try to fade from the public eye or to embrace the right wingnut circuit and become the shithead they so desperately want him to be.
    There are enough ‘Christian’ ‘conservative’ colleges out there that straight up advertise that fact that I’m sure he could get in somewhere.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    There are enough ‘Christian’ ‘conservative’ colleges out there that straight up advertise that fact that I’m sure he could get in somewhere.

Surprised Liberty U hasn't already offered him a scholarship.

• Options
    And you could probably beat student protests with a generous endowment at the Ivy league colleges

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    He doesn't need to go to some super right wing university.

If he can get into University of Wisconsin or any other regular university he can go there and he'll be the center of some shithead Young Republican proto-fascist social group. He'll find plenty of people to admire him or at least not make waves that there's a murderer in their social circles. If he decides to go all in angry Proud Boy open white supremacist he'll find a social circle that fits that, or if he wants to pretend he's really not a racist he'll find some white circle that pretends they aren't racist and have no problem with black people because they had a black housekeeper when they were a kid.

The university isn't going to put their thumbs on the scale of admittance for fear of getting accused of playing political sides, and if he is harassed or treated poorly the university will back him in the name of equality and inclusion.

• Options
    The university will back him if the conservative donors are as significant as the liberal donors or more

And I don't actually care if he goes to a good college or not. If his mind is still developing, then the best shot at moral maturity is interacting with a diverse array of smart people. I won't cry if he ends up poor and ignorant or whatever either.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Run, hide, fight.

Just wanted to point out that Run, Hide, Fight is a strictly American concept and this is taught elsewhere as Run, Hide, Tell Someone.

• Options
    Brigham Young, Citadel, VMI, Auburn, Clemson. There are some conservative colleges.

• Options
    And there are more liberal colleges with zero activism, mostly engineering focused schools

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

Run, hide, fight.

And always be decisive. Don't hem and haw, don't weigh pros and cons. Make your decision and go as hard as you can, because you are at a severe disadvantage immediately. It is hammered home that seconds of indecision can be the difference.
    There's no actual way to make an informed decision in that instance, because the time it takes to find out can cost you your life.

So maybe don't introduce a firearm to a tense situation in the first place.
    This is true. The highest probability of survival goes towards immediate action. For anyone here though. If someone has a gun on you running has the highest percentage of survival. In a mugging surrender has the next highest rate of survival, in a sexual assault or kidnapping fighting has the next highest. Lowest survival rate is freezing and doing nothing.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Not in defense of, but more as something to consider.

Kids are stupid. Kids like attention and pleasing adults.

Rittenhouse is a kid. Maybe he really is self aware enough to have racism deep in his bones. I think he's probably just a stupid kid that bought in to the delusion and killed some people in a criminal action.

Maybe he's not a bad person or evil, but he sure has done a bunch of bad things and catered to an evil ideology for attention.

• Options
    Excuses for being edgy and offensive start to run out about the time you hit high school. The whole point of such jokes is that they are intentionally offensive.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Excuses for being edgy and offensive start to run out about the time you hit high school. The whole point of such jokes is that they are intentionally offensive.

That is not how I remember high school. Or college.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Run, hide, fight.

Just wanted to point out that Run, Hide, Fight is a strictly American concept and this is taught elsewhere as Run, Hide, Tell Someone.

In the US, "tell someone" can get you shot or arrested by the cops, so it's a reasonable difference. I wish I was being cynical and snarky but I am sadly quite serious.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I might be missing something. What's going on in those jpg links?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

It’s just pictures of Kyle making the 3 percenter sign. Which is white supremacist adjacent.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Those are usually like the peak edgelord periods of people's lives.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

It’s just pictures of Kyle making the 3 percenter sign. Which is white supremacist adjacent.

It’s not a 3 preventer sign. Several year ago, 4-Chan tried to convince people that it was a hand sign meaning, “white power.” Because irony is dead, that convinced white supremacist groups (like the Proud Boys) to actually start using it as such, mostly to, “trigger the libs.”

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Those are usually like the peak edgelord periods of people's lives.

I mean, I remember people like that in college. We called them assholes. I never said it was when people stopped doing it, only that it’s when they stop being able to hide behind youth and ignorance, and start having to take responsibility when they go out of their way to offend people.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    College, maybe. High school? Absolutely still using youth and ignorance as an excuse.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

It’s not a 3 preventer sign. Several year ago, 4-Chan tried to convince people that it was a hand sign meaning, “white power.” Because irony is dead, that convinced white supremacist groups (like the Proud Boys) to actually start using it as such, mostly to, “trigger the libs.”

At a certain point the distinction between pretending to be a white supremacist and being a white supremacist becomes such a fine line as to be functionally nonexistent.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

At a certain point the distinction between pretending to be a white supremacist and being a white supremacist becomes such a fine line as to be functionally nonexistent.

By the time you’re doing photo ops with legit white supremacists, you aren’t pretending anymore.

- John Stuart Mill