As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sit Down And Have Some Cucumber [chat]wiches

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    navgoose wrote: »
    I'm not certain I understand a vegan just bringing food to a feast. Won't all those horrible animal products vegans are opposed to have already been used and made into food? Making more food to bring just means more waste.

Or is vegan more like a religious thing where you become tainted or sinful by partaking?

i don't get what you're driving at here

they don't want to eat the meat/animal products, and it's an imposition to expect the host to cook a bunch of extra shit just for them. so they come with their own food. it's pretty straightforward?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Curry smells good though goof.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    Yesterday my uncle called me and wished me happy thanksgiving. He is in network security and he congratulated me again on my new job, telling me I’m lucky I wfh and don’t have to ‘work in the office with all the h1bs; they smell like curry’

hahaha jesus christ

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Love the hat in the background for no apparent reason

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Atomika wrote: »
    The first big-O in a month, that’s how I’m celebrating not having to work

Also the perfunctory wine and vapery

Edit: insert picture of Big O mecha here

Edit edit: god, posting on mobile is the worst

Orca on
  • Options
    I'm not certain I understand a vegan just bringing food to a feast. Won't all those horrible animal products vegans are opposed to have already been used and made into food? Making more food to bring just means more waste.

Or is vegan more like a religious thing where you become tainted or sinful by partaking?

Depending on how things are prepared, the food would be made based on number of people coming and the vegan likely asked permission to bring vegan food before hand so that would factor into the amount of non-vegan food produced

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

i don't get what you're driving at here

they don't want to eat the meat/animal products, and it's an imposition to expect the host to cook a bunch of extra shit just for them. so they come with their own food. it's pretty straightforward?

I was under the impression vegan diets were mostly voluntary for personal moral reasons.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The first big-O in a month, that’s how I’m celebrating not having to work

Also the perfunctory wine and vapery

Edit: insert picture of Big O mecha here

Edit edit: god, posting on mobile is the worst

In fairness, I was using advanced mechanical technology

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    In the unwanted advice column, I would say treadmills are up there with fridges in things that are worth paying extra to buy new and pay to have a pro deliver / remove the old one if you must.

Just $50 in delivery fees are well worth hauling and setting it up to be someone else's problem.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The weirdest thing about this conversation is talking about vegans in an abstract, almost theoretical tone

They do not seem all that uncommon to me in the year of our lord 2021

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The weirdest thing about this conversation is talking about vegans in an abstract, almost theoretical tone

They do not seem all that uncommon to me in the year of our lord 2021

I have a friend that’s vegan and i

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm a vegetarian because I don't eat meat.

If people in the back don't understand, I can repeat it slower and louder.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Making fun of vegans is so five years ago, and shows a deep inferiority complex manifesting as bullying a social other, but the reductress always pulls from something close to life, so it must be that something like this is pulsating through vegan circles, what with their clear un-plaqued arteries

Let's torture arch. Oh and interrogate him about it later

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I caucus with the vegans, fully cognizant I will be first against the wall after the Revolution succeeds

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Here is the first episode of the Attack of the Show reboot.
    https://youtu.be/PE9hlchp55w

This is pretty much the same old Attack of the Show. Just plain silly.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Did the article make fun of vegans?

• Options
    Someone invent Matrix-style downloadable skills already, I want to respec my brain so I can get the Ambidexterity perk.

It's super annoying that shit is harder to do with the left arm when doing mace stuff, because I don't have the same level of control due to being right-handed.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Reductress seems like where all the SA or Gawker or whatever people wound up at

It just seems deeply angry and not particularly funny but with a veneer of progressivism pasted over the top

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Some say the vegan kingdom will be toppled by the appearance of a man holding an oversized novelty spatula and a "Kiss the Cook" apron

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Did the article make fun of vegans?

Not generally but does pick at the stereotype of vegans being obnoxious about it.

• Options
    Also, going to a friend's birthday party (well, birthday dinner, more like), and I'm assuming it'll be the traditional pile of tacos. I'll have to ask if I should bring my own vego meat.

• Options
    I caucus with the vegans, fully cognizant I will be first against the wall after the Revolution succeeds

I feel like they will probably be justified with me.

• Options
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

tbf you'd probably be able to break most of them in a fight

• Options
    Does anybody ever actually read Reductress articles and not just like the tweets or headlines?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

"Surely the tofu-eating leopard won't eat my face."

• Options
    edited November 2021
    In my experience, cashew-et-al attempts at veganizing creaminess aren’t great. But vegans make a lot of vegetable heavy dishes which omnivores just- don’t. It’s so common to only ever be served vegetable dishes if they’re salad or full of dairy. The spread of vegetable forward things at a vegan restaurant is always a novel and pleasant experience.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Most of the reductress stuff I see posted here is v funny

• Options
    y’all better read all my satirical shit instead of just the headlines >: (

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    In my experience, cashew-et-al attempts at veganizing creaminess aren’t great. But vegans make a lot of vegetable heavy dishes which omnivores just- don’t. It’s so common to only ever be served vegetable dishes if they’re salad or full of dairy. The spread of vegetable forward things at a vegan restaurant is always a novel and pleasant experience.

Anthony Bourdain informed a lot of my feelings about this. He had a bit in Kitchen Confidential that was essentially "I love vegans, they help me keep my food cost down." And then as he got older and veganism was more widely accepted, on a Parts Unknown episode he had a meal in Israel and then, after the meal, acknowledged what a good meal it was, but also that "you know, that was vegan, wasn't it?"

Purpose built attempts at vegetarian / vegan food (looking at you, Indian cuisine) fucking rock hard. Ersatz recreations of animal protein tended to not be great for a long time, Impossible and Beyond meat being the two new notable exceptions.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Does anybody ever actually read Reductress articles and not just like the tweets or headlines?

To be honest, I thought it was just made up funny headlines. Like Hard Drive.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

well played

fou16g8pg18w.png

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I make it a point to click through, but not consistently

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

ya I like their style of observational humor

I'm not interested in Onion-style political satire and am more here for 'man refreshes email for the 14th time this minute'-style articles

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

but the headlines are all that matters

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Anthony Bourdain informed a lot of my feelings about this. He had a bit in Kitchen Confidential that was essentially "I love vegans, they help me keep my food cost down." And then as he got older and veganism was more widely accepted, on a Parts Unknown episode he had a meal in Israel and then, after the meal, acknowledged what a good meal it was, but also that "you know, that was vegan, wasn't it?"

Purpose built attempts at vegetarian / vegan food (looking at you, Indian cuisine) fucking rock hard. Ersatz recreations of animal protein tended to not be great for a long time, Impossible and Beyond meat being the two new notable exceptions.

https://youtu.be/vNJcG8XYusE

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    however today I'm talking to my mom for the first time in many months and I am d r e a d i n g it
    also need to get back to cleaning for when she comes over bleahhhhh

cleaning service is your friend

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I think most meat replacements are fine as long as you don't expect them to be meat. Textured vegetable protein can be delicious too.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
This discussion has been closed.