As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Need an invite to the clan.

Username: Track

I was tyrannus989

Didn't I just play a game with you?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just played a game with Longbaugh and Track. 6 Infantry on 1 team is a few too many.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It always says something like that, but I think it's just weird. I remember it being all "6 infantry jesus" but some guy running around with 4 heavy attack copters.

Also, a fun combo for me to use - transport copter x 2 and anti-tank infantry x 2 or AT and sniper

drop them on two points and cap, fortify - if there's armor inc, no worries, if theres arty, hit "y" and they'll go right in and be safe.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    MeatPopSICKleMeatPopSICKle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah this game gets frustrating. The last three games i've joined four out of the eight guys on my side go support, then spam AA. Then the other team just gives up on air, until they realise that everyone left the support role on my team. Gets old. I have figured out a decent way to deal with arty blowing the crap out of the AA though, i hide it in the trees as best i can then just scatter them around in joining fields of fire. Arty doesnt seem to want to waste there time on a single AA unit, and they hold up decently well vs helos since they can be hsard to spot for force fire.

Russian heavy arty is pretty damn nice too, no way to see the source like the american stuff and pretty good blast radius. Had my best score hiding three units in some trees and laid waste to anything that didnt move much. Made some of my teams advance easier. Air and Arty though are still the bain of my exsistance as armor, or air. I dont even bother with air anymore, i know i'll just be playing with mediums to shoot down heavys.

Cant tell if its a buy or not yet though, seems to lack staying power with few tactical options with the rock, paper, scissor, game play.

edit, i play under 5.56Bullets.

MeatPopSICKle on
    SignatureSeries6.jpg
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cant tell if its a buy or not yet though, seems to lack staying power with few tactical options with the rock, paper, scissor, game play.

This is my main complaint as well.

I just wish that Massgate wouldn't drop me every 15 minutes. It's insanely annoying.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Most of the special abilities are pretty junk when it comes to the units. The airborne are probably the most useful and it's just an artillery strike with a really long cooldown. I really think everyone should have access to basic infantry and transport. The support role could use a mine layer or something, and infantry really needs an advanced soldier of some type, maybe a mortar squad to hide in trees?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the core game is solid, so the mod community will easily be able to add longevity to the title. It is so tightly balanced that a few extra units could drastically alter the gameplay.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    This game has a single player campaign, right?

Urian on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If the menu in the beta is anything to go by, as well as the tutorial which talks about Primary and Secondary Objectives, there is a single player campaign.

I've just started playing this - I'm really enjoying it so far. My initial impressions are that air is the easiest to play and infantry the hardest.

One question that I haven't really satisfied myself to yet; are there differences between units depending on which side you are playing as?

I'm area in-game too if anyone spots me.

area on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So far it definitely has promise for me, but I too worry that playing in uncoordinated pubs will get boring quick.

I'd love an invite to the clan or some people's friend's list; I think that would make a huge difference in enjoying this game.

I'm CyrixD in-game.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God, I'm just so hopelessly addicted. It's so easy to play, too, I don't even have to look for games. Just click 2 buttons and I'm throwing around stuff.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    <\3 Track!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ive had a lot of fun, but the rock paper scissors gameplay has about run its course.

Also: Tyrannus for president.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't know, I still kinda like it. I just need to have a good team.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's not even like that.

It's like rock paper scissors dynamite.

Where dynamite is Air, and everyone is dynamite.

At first it was bad, but now it's worse. Everyone is starting to learn to use Air correctly (it's not THAT hard) and it's become futile to be ANYTHING ELSE.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God, my hidden infantry just RAPE copters. fire and move, fire and move. save sprint for after you knock a few down. Just not that mobile.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    God, my hidden infantry just RAPE copters. fire and move, fire and move. save sprint for after you knock a few down. Just not that mobile.

Yeah, but with how cheap napalm is I've started running into people who just scorch all ground cover and by 10 minutes into the game my infantry is fodder with nowhere to hide at all.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it's not easy, but you manage.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I need a clan invite

kazhiim

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it's not easy, but you manage.
    Yeah, I love me some inf. Setting up in buildings near chokepoints just plain rapes face. Eventually they arty you, but not before you do a lot of damage. It helps draw arty fire away from your teammates too.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Especially if you do it with regular infantry since hardly anyone plays armor. You get a ton of tp just shooting down helicopters until they finally notice you.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I suck at this game. :(

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    http://tinyurl.com/26y6fs

Four nukes. Oh holy shit.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright, Im all signed up and all. The name in-game is TheRoadVirus. If one of you could shoot me an invite, I'd much appreciate it.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm signed up as "TrevorGood", you'll generally seem me on pretty late at night.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Login down for everyone else?

EDIT: They're patching apparently!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    eobet wrote: »

Is this the patch that will re-enable clan matches?

area on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    area wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »

Is this the patch that will re-enable clan matches?

Yup, seems so!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was poking about on the beta.massgate.net site, and look what I found.

http://beta.massgate.net/forum-index.php?8732

Kind of cool, if redundant :P

area on
  • Options
    cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't stop sucking.
    I'm trying every tactic listed.
    There's always something to screw me over on the way to my destination.
    If I'm choppers then theres anti-air waiting for me.
    If I switch to anti-air then there are tanks there.
    My infantry gets either killed on the way there or if they're in transport that transport will get killed.
    I've even tried providing cover for another player by following them with air/aa/etc.

I think I've only once had over 50 TA points.

The only class I've been marginally good with is Artillery, the class that moves the least... :|

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cheXzie wrote: »
    I can't stop sucking.
    I'm trying every tactic listed.
    There's always something to screw me over on the way to my destination.
    If I'm choppers then theres anti-air waiting for me.
    If I switch to anti-air then there are tanks there.
    My infantry gets either killed on the way there or if they're in transport that transport will get killed.
    I've even tried providing cover for another player by following them with air/aa/etc.

I think I've only once had over 50 TA points.

The only class I've been marginally good with is Artillery, the class that moves the least... :|

I don't know if you are doing this, but the large size of the battlefield tends to make people just right-click on a location they want to go to and then watch the other cool firefights happening at the opposite ends of the map. I know, because this is how I first played it. Don't do it. This game actually requires a fair amount of micro.
    • Keep your drop zone as close as possible to the engagement area you want to fight in. When your units arrive, make sure to pay close attention to where they are going and change directions if you find yourself bombarded by long-range artillery.
    • Keep a steady eye on the perimeter immediately surrounding your units. This game is very unforgiving in terms of line of sight, when an small hill crest can conceal an entire tank and infantry force. Watch for enemy movement signs (such as smoke trails indicative of a tank) and ordinance being unloaded, even if you can't see the unit, and take proper measures for avoidance.
    • When you see a patch of forest, you must ALWAYS ASSUME THERE ARE INVISIBLE INFANTRY LYING IN WAIT, and avoid it if you are not sufficiently prepared, or it is absolutely necessary.
    • When faced with a unit than can easily hard-counter, the defensive abilities of most vehicles are usually enough to get them out in a pinch. Remember to trigger smoke screens only when the terrain is friendly to a tactical withdrawal, making sure the enemy can't easily surround your retreating units. Once your units are retreated, DO NOT SEND THEM BACK. You will only lead them to their doom. Call for help, re-deploy hard-counters, or saturate the area with large-AOE tactical aids. You may consider consolidating your remaining strength to support an ally on another front.
    • Make good use of the reverse-move command when commanding an armor column. Formation is quite vital to armor, as a line formation popping a smoke screen obscures a much larger area then a cluster or box formation. And since the engagement range of most armored vehicles are sufficiently large, you may set up a formation to a fairly high width. Remember to not go too high, or else you afford the enemy a potential line of sight to retreating armor who think they are obscured. A good technique to practice is having your tank formation popping smoke during a retreat, then reverse moving to maneuver into a better position, without exposing their less armored rear ends (yes, facing has an effect on damage reduction). However, if you need to retreat a long way, it might be better to use the normal move command. Tanks move slower when reversing, so having them turn around and go full speed can expedite a retreat, but also exposing their rear armor. Reverse move, however, is essential if you only desire tactical repositioning to take advantage of a choke point or a nearby ally, because there is no turn time, and you keep your facing towards the enemy.

Just some pointers to get you started. I hope I helped. Remember, keep a watchful eye on your units, and never try fighting hard-counters. Deploy their defensive ability and use the proper retreat option. Once you learn how to maneuver your units properly (which is a big part of this game), you'll start racking up the TP.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    god, me and...someone else just totally started raping people in this random pug. Kaziim, I think it was!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    god, me and...someone else just totally started raping people in this random pug. Kaziim, I think it was!

You left at a bad time.

The round after, most of the enemy left and a bunch of *decent* players joined. No total domination for us :O It meant, however, that we'd actually fight a battle long enough to get some serious TA points accumulated.

Which is how we launched 12 nukes.

Five nukes simultaneously at one point, with the rest of the nukes being fired throughout the game.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    if you did not take pictures of 5 nukes i hate you

also, I took some really nice pictures
    spoilered one for being h-scroll breaking
    tankshell.jpg

stinger.jpg

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nope :( I was too much in awe.

I did get a couple screenshots of other things, though. Three nukes, and can you spot the craters? There's four of them in that pic.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Spot the crater in this image:

craterfq8.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Screw you, high graphics settings!

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This game looks better every time I see it. The Crysis comparisons weren't unwarranted.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Screw you, high graphics settings!

Im not lying when I say I run this game on max everything at widescreen resolutions. FPS is nigh on 60 too.

These guys love NVidia.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I'm actually surprised at how optimized this game is. I run most everything on high with 1280X1024 resolution, and it chugs along fairly nicely at 30-35fps at the Hometown map and 45-60 on the Farm map. And this is with and Core 2 Duo E6300, a gig of RAM, and a 6600GT. Just remember to turn of AA, turn off soft shadows, make the water reflection size at 256 (you barely notice the difference), and make the world distance quality at low to medium (again, you barely notice the difference. If you want to risk it, you can run the textures at high, but this can be dangerous (a general guideline: low textures = 128mb VRAM, medium = 256mb, high = 512mb).

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg