As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Flightality

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Flightality

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    The triumphant return of Tycho's ornithophilia.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I love everything about this one. Especially the background arrows/buttons in the 2nd frame.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thanksgiving Dinner: Rated M for Mature

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I had ribs, wings, fries, garlic rolls, and rib rolls for dinner.

So I guess the video game equivalent would be... idk... playing an indie game?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Wattle Kombat
    (you pronounce the "komb" like "comb", also)

Bropocalypse on
  • Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    Man, I loved "The Bird" by Alfred Spatchcock.

Wait, something's not right there... Oh well, it's Monday, don't care!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I don't think it's all birds. They have to have necks of at least a certain length.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I love everything about this one. Especially the background arrows/buttons in the 2nd frame.

Yeah I appreciated it was a simple directional and not that spin your thumb shit!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular

I don't think it's all birds. They have to have necks of at least a certain length.

What's the neck-to-body ratio for Tycho?

Asking for a friend.

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular

Then you clearly haven't seen the raw sexual energy he brought to his preformance as a Steller's jay on the "C" Team.

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Ever wonder why they don't teach turkey dissection in school instead of frog dissection? At least you can digest your specimen afterwards.

Something makes me think biology class was invented by the french.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    For context, spatchcocking is when you remove the bird's spine in order to lay the whole thing flat in the oven. Makes it cook faster and more evenly, and you can use the bones to make broth. So yes, it's very much like described (though I still need to use scissors instead of my bare hands)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    For context, spatchcocking is when you remove the bird's spine in order to lay the whole thing flat in the oven. Makes it cook faster and more evenly, and you can use the bones to make broth. So yes, it's very much like described (though I still need to use scissors instead of my bare hands)

It's also sometimes called "butterflying" but I can't think of any reason why you'd ever choose to say that.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

It's also sometimes called "butterflying" but I can't think of any reason why you'd ever choose to say that.

Butterflying is a superset of spatchcocking. You can butterfly a chicken breast by slicing it in the middle lengthwise and then flattening it out (like a butterfly, if you squint), thus allowing the whole piece to cook more quickly and evenly. Spatchcocking is a more specific form where you cut out the backbone and flatten the carcass to make it somewhat less 3 dimensional.

I would never call spatchcocking "butterflying" because it's more vague.

dennis on
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Reading about spatchcocking, it makes sense why it works- Dark meat takes longer to cook, so by cutting the carcass in such a way that the dark meat is towards the outside, it causes the breasts, now towards the center, to cook more slowly.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Why would it not be called "the blood eagle"

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Well, apart from that maybe being a myth to begin with, spatchcocking doesn't involve pulling out the lungs or intestines. Plus, gross.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Well, apart from that maybe being a myth to begin with, spatchcocking doesn't involve pulling out the lungs or intestines. Plus, gross.

Given the process, and both the names already given, I assumed grossness was a feature, not a bug.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Given the process, and both the names already given, I assumed grossness was a feature, not a bug.

It's not particularly gross unless one has an aversion to handling any raw meat. If you're already rubbing salt and spices into the bird it's not really much of a difference. And it's a complete non-issue for cooks already in the habit of breaking whole birds into individual legs, breasts, etc to save money on buying the parts individually.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

It's not particularly gross unless one has an aversion to handling any raw meat. If you're already rubbing salt and spices into the bird it's not really much of a difference. And it's a complete non-issue for cooks already in the habit of breaking whole birds into individual legs, breasts, etc to save money on buying the parts individually.

And now that seems to be the new hotness; cooking all the pieces separately, particularly if you're cooking on a grill or smoker.

So instead of that ridiculous painting with the woman holding the 50lbs bird, it's her passing around a bucket of turkey pieces.

MichaelLC on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I actually did have to deal with a few recognizable organ bits when preparing the turkey last week, but that’s generally something the butcher does well beforehand. Usually it’s just the spine you need to remove yourself.

And apparently the best idea we have for the word’s origin is “dispatch” + “cock” (as in, male bird). So performing a fatality on dinner really does seem to be the correct imagery, lol.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Please tell me you said "get over here" while doing it.