As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] In which we discuss dice crime

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think at the current point set up Vanguard is probably not wrong.

The Nid dex is deep but internal balance makes it skewed badly. I expect the Maleceptor, Tyrant, and Carnifexes to take some more nerfs. Probably point increases. And warriors will be rebalanced because they are the best troop in the book point for point. But once that happens you have probably right priced warriors still verse over priced gaunts. And gargoyles will be good still in the corner.

I think the list format won't change too much at the same time I do think it will probably stick as an A class book for the rest of the edition unless it gets Ad Meched where everything gets overtuned the other way and the book falls apart to a 21% win rate.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I think at the current point set up Vanguard is probably not wrong.

The Nid dex is deep but internal balance makes it skewed badly. I expect the Maleceptor, Tyrant, and Carnifexes to take some more nerfs. Probably point increases. And warriors will be rebalanced because they are the best troop in the book point for point. But once that happens you have probably right priced warriors still verse over priced gaunts. And gargoyles will be good still in the corner.

I think the list format won't change too much at the same time I do think it will probably stick as an A class book for the rest of the edition unless it gets Ad Meched where everything gets overtuned the other way and the book falls apart to a 21% win rate.

The changes to termagants make the least amount of sense IMO. Mostly I’m just annoyed that I have 60, 30 with devourers which are just trash tier stuff this point.

I’m going to fuck with a list that runs a brick of them, with the tervigon and 20 stealers and report back.

Another point of annoyance is how much support you need to take and why the things that skew stick out so badly. The auto-include Zoanthropes that will do so little the rest of the game, Venomthropes, etc

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know about devourers on termagants is crap since the fleshborer is basically better than a bolter but 7 points a model is silly
    I liked how they made Venomthropes finally worth taking but I am arguing with myself about either making the box I have of them into them or Zoanthropes

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know about devourers on termagants is crap since the fleshborer is basically better than a bolter but 7 points a model is silly
    I liked how they made Venomthropes finally worth taking but I am arguing with myself about either making the box I have of them into them or Zoanthropes

A thought to consider is that Jorgamundr basically does the venomthrope thing bu army wide

4++/5++ on your small bugs is very tasty and not really able to be replicated

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Asher wrote: »
    SnjyVlC.jpg
    I'm painting Raven Daddy

That is an amazingly muted and just plain amazing color scheme. I would love to see more like that on the tabletop, that is for sure.
    Vanguard wrote: »

The changes to termagants make the least amount of sense IMO. Mostly I’m just annoyed that I have 60, 30 with devourers which are just trash tier stuff this point.
    I mean, there's no hurt in proxying. Having played 'nids since 3rd, there's been a lot of 'every gaunt on the table is fleshborer/spine fist/ whatever' over the... decades.... *turns to dust and blows away.*

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    I know about the arguments about gluing the model equipped with X and how over time it may not be legal. As you may of liked the look then and still maybe now? I know playing forces people to paint the sea of grey every game is not that appealing
    I have x termagants armed with devourers. I am tempted to arm some of the warriors I have with them but I found I have a ton of magnets. I can maybe set them up to be swappable I know I was probably going to do that to the primes. I saw a video where they set up the Tervigon/Tyrannofex to be able to change but I wanted to see it painted

• Options
  • Options
    The sons of horus upgrade kit
    oklfj0ox0nuz.png
    wc87l11p4e9g.png

Tomorrow should be the Sons of Horus preview so capping off my debate of who to do
    Some of the rumors of the prices are starting to come out as I was curious how much the Mark IV boxes would cost and oddly Cataphractii and Tartaros will now be sold in boxes of 10
    Heresy will be up for preorder or to come out on the 4th of June so I will be getting the large box then the legion tomes

• Options
    I might pick up some tartaros/cataphractii for my Deathwatch. Relic termis are surprisingly good with combi-bolters/claws with armor of contempt. Its a good amount of attacks on a tough body.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I want my bird.

It turns out I've only got about 1500 points of actual Heresy Era Raven Guard painted, the other 1500 or so was 40k. Once I get Corax done thats 2k, which coincidentally is the number of points in the new box. I've got a bunch of stuff half painted too which should give me another few hundred and let me play 2500-3k.

I've started reading the Horus Heresy and it's better than I expected. Hours Rising down, False Gods next.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Put on a rubber cap for Legion because your mind gonna get fucked.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I had stopped reading the heresy books around 19 or 20 from what I can remember so there is that much more to read
    I am tempted to just get the solar war books since they have said the previous books are in it from what you need to know story wise but since I have argued with myself about it they have added 3 more books to it

• Options
    Best way to do Heresy is let others read and just say what the best books are then listen to the audio book.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Best way to do Heresy is let others read and just say what the best books are then listen to the audio book.

I like to read
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The first few Heresy books are fun. Then the quality drops (fulgrim). Then the series gets lost in the woods. Way too many books. Still some of them might be good.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I am currently reading Scars, off the back of reading Chris Wraight’s Leman Russ primarchs novel and after not liking the Space Wolves for the longest time my feelings are shifting somewhat

11q7movhbgc3.jpeg

Nechriah on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    On the general recommendation of what seems like the entire Warhammer fanbase, I'm reading Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy (currently about 1/3 of the way through Hereticus). It's very good, but I think I prefer Spears of the Emperor overall. I think I might read ADB's Soul Hunter before going back to Ravenor.

I did have a laugh though at a scene in Hereticus: Eisenhorn is flying a "sporty" speeder at the breakneck speed of 45 knots... or 51 mph (at sea level anyway). I think I was driving faster at the time. I don't know if Abnett uses a lot of primary sources in his writing, but ADB does and I think that's one of the reasons I liked Spears so much. I actually sent a message to ADB on his site to contact me if he ever needed a primary source on combat flying (as of yet I haven't gotten any response though :disappointed:)

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    are we allowed to talk about the super cool Joytoy space marines here

is that allowed

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    The HH series starts strong but then meanders off into six or seven different stories focused on separate casts that don't really interlock. Somewhere around book 35 the writing teams realized what they'd done and dragged it all back into something coherent.

They learned their lesson when prepping for Siege of Terra, which so far is much more dense and coherent given it's still written by separate authors.

Somewhere online, and I'll post it if I can find it, there's a truncated horse heresy reading order that knocks the series down to the essential books for what's actually going on with a broad stroke of the heresy

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    The HH series starts strong but then meanders off into six or seven different stories focused on separate casts that don't really interlock. Somewhere around book 35 the writing teams realized what they'd done and dragged it all back into something coherent.

They learned their lesson when prepping for Siege of Terra, which so far is much more dense and coherent given it's still written by separate authors.

Somewhere online, and I'll post it if I can find it, there's a truncated horse heresy reading order that knocks the series down to the essential books for what's actually going on with a broad stroke of the heresy

I'd like to see this list if you can find it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yes, that equine adventure series you mentioned sounds fantastic.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

is that allowed

Yes but it will make me jealous that Eldar literally aren't allowed cool toys

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

is that allowed

Listen the Eldar have had more than enough experience with joy toys and last time it ended really badly.

• Options
    I am still curious if McFarlane will make craftworlds of which what they would make? The drukhari is for them since what they used to do for figures
    As I am curious about if they make them will they make the artist ones as well
    Tyranids is another I am curious about since a warrior is a large figure

• Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Put on a rubber cap for Legion because your mind gonna get fucked.

Legion and Mechanicum are probably my favourite HH books. Master of Mankind is also great. Basically anything by Abnett, ADB or Graham McNeil will be pretty solid. I'm reading Know No Fear at the moment, which has an incredible first act. There's a scene where a capital-class starship falls out of orbit onto a world, and then the same thing happens again.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    On the general recommendation of what seems like the entire Warhammer fanbase, I'm reading Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy (currently about 1/3 of the way through Hereticus). It's very good, but I think I prefer Spears of the Emperor overall. I think I might read ADB's Soul Hunter before going back to Ravenor.

I did have a laugh though at a scene in Hereticus: Eisenhorn is flying a "sporty" speeder at the breakneck speed of 45 knots... or 51 mph (at sea level anyway). I think I was driving faster at the time. I don't know if Abnett uses a lot of primary sources in his writing, but ADB does and I think that's one of the reasons I liked Spears so much. I actually sent a message to ADB on his site to contact me if he ever needed a primary source on combat flying (as of yet I haven't gotten any response though :disappointed:)

Ravenor is better than Eisenhorn, of that helps you any.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I am still curious if McFarlane will make craftworlds of which what they would make? The drukhari is for them since what they used to do for figures

They did Genestealer one already

Astartes(several flavours), Sisters, Necron Warrior, Genestealer.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

is that allowed

You just gotta convince them to do something crazy, like make a plastic Revenant Titan action figure that is the exact same size as the $400 Forge World resin one.

• Options

They did Genestealer one already

Astartes(several flavours), Sisters, Necron Warrior, Genestealer.

I know they have as I posted earlier the chaos marines and dark angels coming out
    When they showed off the orks and genestealers I said I am curious if they would do an Aeldari of one of the various flavors in basically what I said in the above
    8p53zaghklpy.pngyscgb8pdylgd.pngj6cq8jep0174.png18h664386s7n.png

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

is that allowed

Considering some of those action figures are CSM/SM dreadnoughts, it is not merely allowed, it is our duty.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    There's enough variants of these now to play a legal game of Big Kill Team

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Heresy with lots of stuff pre-order next week.

Sidenote, I wish Xenia factions would get even ten percent of the transfer sheet love, the Imperium is getting all the time.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Those are just the transfers/dice that have been available from Forge World for a long time. Unless you were just lamenting the general state of things, in which case as you were.

The most interesting bit of that announcement is the primarchs being available to order from the GW webstore. They had done this previously with Tyranid FW kits labeled as 'expert' kits on the GW webstore but only in the UK.

Could we finally be seeing the merging of the two webstores?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God help me I might get that Heresy set.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I am sitting here doing my best not to order Chaos Knights.

I want them so badly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Yeah that Horus heresy set is going to wreck my wallet

• Options
    Yup, that set plus some transfers, primarch, and dice for whatever traitor legion I finally decide on, both books because I already have a loyalist army, and at least one each pack of heavy and special weapons.

Oh well, if my daughter is anything like me then college wasn't in her future anyway.