Options

Geoff 'WORLD PREMIERE' Keighley presents [The Game Awards 2021]

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    Synced looks like Knack 3, but goth.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Deathloop
    Olivaw wrote: »
    How was Destiny 2 not one of the nominees?

I think you know why, in your heart

Uh, nope, I don’t

It definitely fits the “ongoing game” category

Well not to make a thing about it but taking away paid-for content because you can't figure out another solution to manage your install size is a big reason to disqualify them for that specific category

It'd be my reason, anyway

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Resident Evil VIIIage
    Does the jar-thing not count?

I guess it's more an animatronic.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Deathloop
    Arc Raiders looks... I don't know! I don't understand what the hook is, it looks like multiplayer PvE with like, a big scale to it? But mostly it's just... vibes

Like I love the logo! Looks like those old VHS boxes. But what is special about that game!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Arc Raiders looks... I don't know! I don't understand what the hook is, it looks like multiplayer PvE with like, a big scale to it? But mostly it's just... vibes

Like I love the logo! Looks like those old VHS boxes. But what is special about that game!

I was convinced they were letting someone make a new EDF game but actually gave them a big budget.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    So, I don't even know what It Takes Two is.

I am old, cranky, and I refuse to keep up the times.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Metroid DREAD
    welp, Psychonauts 2 getting robbed left and right as expected

• Options
    Deathloop

It's a co-op only game about a couple about to divorce but they get shrunk down and turned into toys by an annoying book and then reconcile and decide they love each other after they mercilessly murder their daughter's toy elephant

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It Takes Two sold surprisingly well, apparently.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

It's a co-op only game about a couple about to divorce but they get shrunk down and turned into toys by an annoying book and then reconcile and decide they love each other after they mercilessly murder their daughter's toy elephant

I see. So the video game equivalent of an Oscar-bait movie.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Psychonauts 2
    I have to respect Josef Fares' restraint. I was expecting a big "Fuck Take-2" pop-off.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Eh from what I saw its a really fun interesting co op experience that has platforming, shooting, and some puzzle solving. Like the story they are telling is heavy, but the gameplay felt light and approachable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Deathloop

Nah, more the video game equivalent of a fairly juvenile romcom, with the happy ending and all

Also too much slapstick co-op shenanigans for the Academy

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Psychonauts 2
    I just started playing It Takes Two with a friend a week ago. We’re not far in enough for me to speak about to its quality, but what’ve played doesn’t feel like awards bait. The main thing I have to say about it is that it gets pretty outlandish.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, from what I've heard it's not exactly the most realistic take on a rocky marriage, let's say.

But apparently it's fun? If you have someone to play with, of course.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Psychonauts 2

No, not at all. More like a DreamWorks movie in tone, with Mario Party like gameplay variety.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Metroid DREAD
    I was afk, but whaaaaaaaaaat? How did the least known game win the list? I expected Re8 or deathloop honestly, and really wanted Dread to win... just, kind of confused....again.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The Video Game Awards: Featuring ten minutes of awards, five minutes of random presentations and two hours and forty-five minutes of trailers.

Brought to you by two shambling zombies made in a Verizon lab, Jeff Bezos's homunculous made out of dead warehouse employees, and the last tattered shred of Geoff Keighley's soul.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Psychonauts 2
    lol what

It Takes Two GOTY is nuts

Psychonauts 2 and Inscryption got robbed

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Having played the majority of the nominees for this year...
    (and I actually liked finishing It Takes Two with my wife in couch-coop)
    I'm not sure it was the "best" game of the year.

Yeah, it was fun, and yeah, it hit a lot of really cool buttons. But game of the year? I dunno. I think I'd pick Returnal or Deathloop over It Takes Two and I'm absolutely awful at shooters and detest Rouge-like games.

26904.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Metroid DREAD
    This is also Geoff Keighley's thing, for better or worse. He has to be in bed with corporate to fund the kind of advertising/awards show bonanza he considers to be a love letter to videogames. I dislike the hypocrisy in some of the format but the thing is, the people receiving these nominations and awards genuinely appreciate and look forward to being awarded them.
    It is what it is

I really didn't care for It Takes Two and was totally surprised it actually won, but Josef Fares' enthusiasm and passion is infectious. He's like the most emotionally-sincere used car salesman I've ever seen

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Metroid DREAD
    In case anyone is wondering, Level Infinite (which showed off a ton of games tonight) is a company that has existed since... yesterday.

It's a new publishing shell company for Tencent. Sorta like how everything to renamed to The Embracer Group around E3 time.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Either that was pretty weak or I'm just getting to the point where I don't care about new games. I can't tell.

Either way I wish I spent those 3 hours playing games instead.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Psychonauts 2
    Alan Wake 2! That looks rad

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It Takes Two
    Did they announce the new Telltale Expanse game at this thing, or was this unrelated?

https://youtu.be/9QaV_A453SA

Yay! I love the Expanse!

Yay! Telltale lives!

Yay! Wikipedia says this new Telltale isn't paying their employees properly, same as old Telltale!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    anoffday wrote: »
    Either that was pretty weak or I'm just getting to the point where I don't care about new games. I can't tell.

Either way I wish I spent those 3 hours playing games instead.

I spent it heckling the "show" on Twitter and eating pizza which was pretty fun.

Show in quotation marks because the VGA's are a waste of energy that could have just been a bunch of embedded trailer videos in a Kotaku article and actively undermines the idea that games are art.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I watched Laura Kate Dale call out shitty companies over the game awards while playing No Man's Sky.

That It Takes Two winning GotY came out of fucking left field. I would have bet quadruple figures that Metroid Dread, Resident Evil 8 or Deathloop would win over it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Metroid DREAD
    Man am I glad i did not spend 3 hours of my life on that

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I watched it half heartedly while at work.

I don’t think it was very good.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I watched it and liked it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I wasnt sure if I was going to post about the show but it's dead here at work and I'm bored so why not.

Ill start off with the time split on the awards to everything else is way off and that's a known quantity so lets just leave it at that DO BETTER GEOFF

Now my biggest issue with the show when you open the show with a statement about abuse and almost exactly 10 minutes later show a game by Quantic Dream you are out of your fucking mind Geoff

Maggie Robertson winning for RE8 was a huge highlight she absolutely killed it

Best soundtrack was a fucking joke two games with licensed soundtracks and a 3rd whom won was a soundtrack from 11 years ago.

Also what the fuck was with all the women coming onstage and not being given a chance to talk?

I am so over these genres please stop, I dont care what your pedigree is:
    • F2P Co-op PvE
    • Survival/Crafting
    • 4v1 asymmetrical

Geoff stop with the movie trailers please, you could of given out 2+ more awards.

Now trailers:
    • KoF XV - having a redo on K9999 LOL
    • Babylons Fall - why did you show a trailer for a ps3 game?
    • Thirsty Suitors - ill be honest its not for me but at first glance it looked like BAFTA bait to me
    • P4A - jfc Atlus show your fans some fucking respect for this Persona anniversary.
    • Hellblade 2 - goddamn thats a nice looking game
    • Eclipse - not even worth my time
    • Pete Hines commercial - cute
    • Wonder Woman - Monolith has my attention but Shadow of War was ROUGH
    • Alan Wake 2 - FUCK YEAH BOYYYYYEEEEEEE
    • Horizon 2 sizzle reel - cant wait till I get a ps5
    • FF7R PC - 90! dollars in Canada fuck outta here with that bullshit
    • Destiny 2 expansion - yall D2 players got Stockholm Syndrome
    • Slitterhead - ......I see.....
    • Somerville - VERY EXCITED
    • Sonic Frontier - *insert SonicCycle.jpg here*
    • Suicide Squad - Sure whatever
    • Forspoken - Still looks great too bad its ps5 exclusive
    • Space Marine 2 - My hypeth overfloweth
    • Saints Row - Cautiously optimistic
    • Dune - Outta no where not for me but excited for other people
    • Tiny Tina - I cant stand Borderlands writing
    • Among Us VR - very silly cant wait for people to stream it.
    • Steelrising - mid tier WRPG cool setting tho
    • Star Trek - See Dune
    • Rumbleverse - Iron Galaxy has a very bad track record with original IP people who played it seem to like it though?
    • CrossfireX - I wont believe its coming out until its available to download.
    • Elden Ring - didnt need a cg story trailer but cool I guess?
    • ARC Raiders - even if I liked the genre its NEXON so it will be monetized to unplayable levels, sure is pretty though
    • Matrix - very rad tech demo

Actually one last thing: A writer on CoD Vanguard was on twitter took it hard that the game wasn't nominated and assumed it was cause of the Activision stuff and honestly I hate to say it but that's not true everyone the media seems to think the campaign was entirely forgettable and almost everyone think WW2 is played out.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It Takes Two is really good though guys.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    It Takes Two is really good though guys.

I bet it absolutely is

but it seems like even with the media outlets who vote on these awards it came and went, didnt seem like it had the kind of critical acclaim you hear with these kinds of games.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    My wife's friend's sister works on audio and music at Hazelight and Josef Fares is just... Like That almost all the time. Really happy for him and the studio.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Psychonauts 2
    Best soundtrack was a fucking joke two games with licensed soundtracks and a 3rd whom won was a soundtrack from 11 years ago.

If you're by chance referring to 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' here, they actually have a score composed by Richard Jacques and went to the trouble of recording a full-ass metal album for an in-universe fictional band named Star-Lord. Which is exactly the kind of flex I'd hope Remedy pulls for Alan Wake 2 (c'mon, give me that full-length Old Gods of Asgard album).

https://youtu.be/Al9dvndHNrs

The album fucking slaps, of course.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Metroid DREAD
    Tinfoil hat guy in me is saying that It Takes Two won to drum up controversy and get people to talk about TGA. Any and all engagement is a good thing for them. But honestly an Indie Studio winning GOTY is pretty cool even if the game looks super generic.

• Options
    Metroid DREAD
    In any case I'm glad I stayed in bed watching Squid Game and Star Trek instead of this.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    Tinfoil hat guy in me is saying that It Takes Two won to drum up controversy and get people to talk about TGA. Any and all engagement is a good thing for them. But honestly an Indie Studio winning GOTY is pretty cool even if the game looks super generic.

Well unless Keighley is tampering with the votes it’s legit

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Metroid DREAD
    I actually suspect it was more of a split vote situation. It was the only category with 6 nominees, and it is very likely that such made the numbers wonky.

I'm personally fine with it. Just wild seeing things break that way.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Metroid DREAD
    Oh yeah that's right it's "voted" on right? And the spite vote to give the middle finger to Take Two is really strong.