As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man: No Way Home] OPEN SPOILERS shh the leaks can't hurt us now

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited December 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
First, vote for best Spider-Man.

OPEN SPOILERS!!!

Okay now, this movie is finally actually here!
ztvwd4u1d2aj.png

OPEN SPOILERS
With Spider-Man's identity now revealed, our friendly neighborhood web-slinger is unmasked and no longer able to separate his normal life as Peter Parker from the high stakes of being a superhero. When Peter asks for help from Doctor Strange, the stakes become even more dangerous, forcing him to discover what it truly means to be Spider-Man

What does that painfully generic blurb mean? Only time will tell! Go watch the movie? Or don't! Who knows! You do you

Starring Tom Holland, Zendaya, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jacob Batalon, Jon Favreau and Marisa Tomei... AND THATS IT OK NOBODY ELSE

Local H Jay on

[Spider-Man: No Way Home] OPEN SPOILERS shh the leaks can't hurt us now 119 votes

Spider-Man (2001)
4%
Zilla360Smaug6BethalizNosfArmoroc 5 votes
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
15%
Big DookieAbsoluteZerocj iwakuraReaperSMSIceyMr BubblesLocal H JayMatevJokermanMuddy WatermxmarksFeloniousmozmanjiEddyArteenNineCSStheGr8FoolOnTheHillHavelock2.0 19 votes
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
0%
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
1%
joshgotrodemonfalldown 2 votes
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
0%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
10%
QuidTychoCelchuuumrpakuXaquinCraigopogonever dieouchiesThawmusSolomaxwell6a nu startXantomasMonwyn 12 votes
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
5%
SniperGuyDoctorArchtyrannusLorekphysi_marcAtlas in ChainsHarry Dresden 7 votes
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018)
58%
DrCongoLegacyA duck!AegeriMunkus BeaverBionicPenguinMulysaSemproniusSyngyneElJeffeDayspringDevoutlyApatheticZeroCowPsychotic OneAthenorStericaKyouguAkimboEGDouglasDangersullijoKaputa 70 votes
Toei Spider-Man (1978)
0%
halkun 1 vote
Spider-Man: The Dragon's Challenge (1981)
2%
ShadowfireThat_GuyTehSpectre 3 votes

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Spider-Man on PS4 is the best Spider-Man movie.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, Spider-man PS4 and Miles Morales are amazing representation of the character.

My heart said Spider-man 2 but my head said Into the Spider-verse. I really love both those movies but I think Spider-verse edges this one out.

I have my ticket for a Saturday morning showing and I'm so excited.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Lots of spoilers on Youtube, tread carefully.

Also, what were rumors that I've now been spoiled on from Youtube around trailers before the movie:
    We'll see the Doctor Strange 2 trailer

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I can't help it. I love Mysterio and MCU Mysterio was absolute perfection. Into the Spider-Verse is a very close second, but it has a distinct lack of fish bowl helmets.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Based on that leaked Dr. Strange 2 trailer:
    It looks like they will be making a sort of light reference to the What If…? Dr. Strange. But it’s the kind of reference that won’t matter to people that haven’t seen that show, which I really like. For non-What If…? watchers it’ll just read as an evil alternate dimension version of Dr. Strange while people that watched the show will have a little more context, a little more flavor for what’s going on. I’m super into that, not leaving anyone out but giving the fans a little more to chew on.

ouchies on
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Homecoming by a mile. That cast is absolute perfection and give me more antagonists that actually have a point and might even be correct, please.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I was torn. I actually like Homecoming the best...it just has such a sense of charm to it throughout that sucks me in everytime.

But I recognize Into the Spiderverse to be a better movie and Spiderman movie at that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    I really enjoyed Spider-Verse but I find the cast just the tiniest bit overstuffed (I know that was the point). But it's still a masterful movie that successfully introduced the mainstream audience to Miles, Gwen and more.

I can't give it to anything but the amazing performance Molina turned in as Doc Ock. I feel really bad for any other actor who has to do the role after him, he basically did it so good it's hard to go back and play Doc straight like the comics have

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    All leaks please post behind spoilers and clearly label. Maybe double spoiler it or just, don't post it tbh

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So there's a new trilogy coming after this movie, right?

I'm wondering what villains they pull for that, since No Way Home has such a large cast of them. I don't see them reusing them, even if it would be alternate versions of them?

So Kraven? Mr. Negative?

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    I'm thinking we get Miles 100% if there's another trilogy, and because of that a villain more related to him maybe

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I'm thinking we get Miles 100% if there's another trilogy, and because of that a villain more related to him maybe

I'd agree that them introducing Miles in either the 2nd or 3rd film of a future trilogy seems almost guaranteed, so they can do Miles films once they run out of Spider Holland, unless they have to duke it out with Sony over Miles as well.

I don't follow the comics, so all of my familiarity with Miles is from the PS games and Spiderverse. Does he have his own roster of villains?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Mostly Spider-Man's baddies but he has stronger ties to people like Kingpin and Swarm. Also, Prowler for obvious reasons. I also remember him fighting Doom when he went all magic on everybody's ass

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Spider-Man: The Dragon's Challenge (1981)
    5i4umlmig8te.jpg

https://youtu.be/YP-EySx8-gI

https://youtu.be/iXrZrUmmsp8

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed Spider-Verse but I find the cast just the tiniest bit overstuffed (I know that was the point). But it's still a masterful movie that successfully introduced the mainstream audience to Miles, Gwen and more.

I can't give it to anything but the amazing performance Molina turned in as Doc Ock. I feel really bad for any other actor who has to do the role after him, he basically did it so good it's hard to go back and play Doc straight like the comics have

Good news, Liv isn't necessarily straight!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Around noon CST I'm gonna move this to open spoilers, so if you don't wanna see stuff unsub from the thread now and come on back once you're good, I'll post again when it's changed

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Of course, no streaming options. I will be amazed if it has the other Spidermans.

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    The floodgates have opened

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The Daredevil/Matt Murdock cameo was everything that I wanted it to be. "How did you do that?" "I'm a really good lawyer."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    ouchies wrote: »
    Homecoming by a mile. That cast is absolute perfection and give me more antagonists that actually have a point and might even be correct, please.

Going to disagree, they are realistic villains but they're horrible people. Vulture's not a blue collar guy, he's MAGA. Tooms and his crew gave no fucks about anyone but themselves, and didn't need much motivation to justify becoming super-powered Tony Soprano's. They weren't simply thieves, they sold dangerous alien weaponry on the black market to anyone who wanted it. HYDRA and Mandarin's Ten Rings would love working with these assholes. Stark's Damage Control was proven correct by telling Tooms to take a hike, they weren't professional enough to be trusted with the equipment, that's why they became super-villains. Also, none of them had any hesitation murdering children.

edit: When Peter meets him, Tooms has been living in a big mansion for years and has always been management. It's his company and he runs the crime ring.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    That was a fantastic film I just saw. The only downside of the whole thing was that I am sure I would have enjoyed it more if there were a single surprise left unspoiled by marketing and press.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Watched it tonight with my wife, loved it. The hits just kept coming all night and the pacing between sad and heartwarming was perfect.

My only regret is I hate bittersweet Spider-Man endings and this one took the cake.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Watched it tonight with my wife, loved it. The hits just kept coming all night and the pacing between sad and heartwarming was perfect.

My only regret is I hate bittersweet Spider-Man endings and this one took the cake.

I don't mind the bittersweet nature of the ending. But,
    I'm not a big fan of the Aunt May death. It's just becoming ... predictable to me. Like Aunt May is the new Uncle Ben. Or maybe all the creators REALLY hate One More Day and don't want that to happen in their universes.

Overall, I really liked the movie.
    Lots of positives. The portrayal of all the characters, the Strange fight, the way the series seeks to redeem not only the villains, but also the original series. I appreciate how Sandman started out an ally, but I don't know if I like him being antagonistic in the final battle. Also ... they couldn't add one last villain? Make it a proper Sinister situation? I think it would be funny if there was, like, Shocker from a fourth Spiderman universe, and he keeps insisting that he's really that universe's Spiderman's most lethal enemy. Really.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Holy fucking shit. This blew away every expectation I had. Really incredible movie (and Andrew Garfield low-key stole the show). Redeemed the villains and both original spideys in a super satisfying way. Just... Wow. Immensely satisfying wrap up to not only this trilogy of Spider movies, but all of them somehow

Symbiote Spidey tease for a potential Spidey 4? I guess venom isn't in the MCU? Well I guess a bit of him? So confused. But very pleased.

I'm still kinda blown away they managed to do it so well, with that many characters. Tho you can tell they told Sandman and Lizard actors "don't worry you'll only need to do voice over and a single on camera bit."

I was actually shocked how substantial the others spideys roles were, I thought they'd show up for a minute at the end but this was much better

10/10, best Spidey movie by a mile, a love letter to the franchise

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    There's a lot of really standout moments/conversations but when Electro says "man I'd figure you'd be black" and Andrew Garfield immediately says "I'm sorry" probably got the biggest laugh outta me

And then of course yet another Miles tease after that

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular

Spider-Man is a bittersweet story. He's supposed to be the person that is all of us—shit happens and we need to deal, and then dust ourselves off and try to do the best with what we've got.

• Options
    I really don't like that they fridged Aunt May. Probably because I'm so fond of Marisa Tomei's Aunt May, but still... not a great look.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    That was a fantastic film I just saw. The only downside of the whole thing was that I am sure I would have enjoyed it more if there were a single surprise left unspoiled by marketing and press.

I personally think the spoilers didn't really spoil anything about the how. We knew they showed up, but the question was always if they could pull it together into a cohesive narrative. That was always the challenge.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well that was really really quite excellent.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Man I had a group of guys behind me who marked out after each and every and any reveal and it really reminded me how much I missed theaters. Like the whole theater lost their minds over everything. Tobey lifting his collar so everyone can see his suit underneath? Complete uproar.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Also, Wong being Sorcerer Supreme because Dr. Strange got dusted makes absolute sense and also is low-key hilarious. Wong being all like *sigh* "I'm tired of this shit."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I really don't like that they fridged Aunt May. Probably because I'm so fond of Marisa Tomei's Aunt May, but still... not a great look.

I agree, but the alternative to really setup Spidey for "I'm out of fucks to give" mode would be killing Ned (no thank you) or killing MJ (and then we don't get the sweet Garfield redemption moment, which honestly was more emotional to me than the May death)

I hesitate to say it was a Fridge moment, people can die in a narrative. It was an emotional gutpunch for sure but I don't think it was unwarranted. Also shows that the elder spidermen actually did some good and prevented another spider-killer out of revenge.

I also also like the subversion of this Spidey never having an Uncle Ben. Apparently they did shoot a scene with Uncle Ben for Homecoming that was never used, so I assumed maybe it was still ""Canon"". Some how.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Man I had a group of guys behind me who marked out after each and every and any reveal and it really reminded me how much I missed theaters. Like the whole theater lost their minds over everything. Tobey lifting his collar so everyone can see his suit underneath? Complete uproar.

Man I'm normally not the guy who claps or reacts out loud, but when the Spider dudes coordinated and everything came together I was definitely in the crowd with that one. Everyone really let loose when the portals opened and the Peters were out

Seriously, the redemption for ASM Spidey here is such a small moment but they nailed it so fucking hard. That's what's so great about this movie, every little moment you'd want they really do. The jokes about OG spidey's organic webs, the character beats between the heroes and their respective villains, and them all interacting together was a treat. And Dafoe and Molina just eat up the scenery. Dafoe really fucking brought it for this movie, he was so good. The fight scene in the apartment building was incredible.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The theater lost their god damned minds constantly throughout the movie and honestly I couldn't be happier to have experienced that kind of joy.

It's been since at least Endgame that I've been in the middle of that much excitement, and I didn't quite realize how much of a difference it makes.

If only there was some way to channel all of that good energy outside of the theater to the real world.

Maybe I'm getting too sentimental about it.

It really was an unreasonably good movie. Despite all the fan service, it never once felt forced or really like fan service. It felt like everything was being honored and respected.

Also May was absolutely not fridged.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    They even did the Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man meme and I'm not even sure half the crowd noticed

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    I think I'm most annoyed Sony basically gave away the Spider-Garf saves MJ moment in the trailer (because we all called that shit) but I can't get over what a good moment it was. This movie retroactively made the older films better and that's a feat.

I'm gonna say... Probs my new #1 MCU flick. It just goes places. I'm unreasonably excited for Dr Strange 2 now.

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Though I'm happy to report, Venom still sucks and is maybe the weakest thing, glad he got sent back to sonyverse which I assume now is just mainline Raimiverse based on other shit like... Whatever the fuck Morbius is

I'm simultaneously shocked Sony managed to help make this a reality and prepared for them to take a hot dump with whatever multiverse crap they try now with they pocket universe

• Options
    Though I'm happy to report, Venom still sucks and is maybe the weakest thing, glad he got sent back to sonyverse which I assume now is just mainline Raimiverse based on other shit like... Whatever the fuck Morbius is

I'm simultaneously shocked Sony managed to help make this a reality and prepared for them to take a hot dump with whatever multiverse crap they try now with they pocket universe

My favorite is that Venom 2 ended with Eddie Brock in the MCU and then in this one they punt him right back the fuck out. Sony: I want to play, too! Marvel: NOPE.

• Options
    Except it also doesn't make sense that the spell would bring this Eddie in because he doesn't know that Spider-Man is Peter Parker, unless you want to do the whole Venom is a symbiote whose consciousness spans all multiverses thing, which is meh.

• Options
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    At the end they showed just about every single Spider-Man villain in a PowerPoint in the purple sky and Strange was like "all the assholes from every reality that knows you is coming!" So I assume that includes the comics and shit, the Rhino silhouette they used was straight out of the comics not the ASM one