Options

The [Anime] Adaptation Thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I hate the DNT character designs. Theyre just so bad.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Alright I need an anime recommendo. I will watch the first suggested show that I haven't seen.

Garo: Carved Seal of Flame

Well this worked out nicely, knowing IKG's tastes.

I loaded up Garo Vanishing Line cause I only remembered the first word of the title, and noped out of that by the opening song.

Don't seem to have access to Carved Seal.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes was the second recommendation so away we go to space!

I recommend you turn to Tubi, the best streaming service, and watch a Kamen Rider. I'd go with Ryuki, but Kuuga is also good if you want something way less splashy.

I will state here that the 2000-2009 Kamen Rider shows can be a bit rough depending on the series. Kamen Rider Faiz for example has an early episode where...
    ...a high-school girl is bullied relentlessly by her family and schoolmates which can be pretty bad to watch. Unfortunately for her sister and schoolmates, she'd died midway through her origin story which converted her into one of the show's monsters and she ends up killing them in a high school gym when they finally push her too far.

The darker tones in this period of KR in part comes from one of it's major writers during the time, Toshiki Inoue. The guy has a thing for keeping characters from talking to each other, to the point of creating characters that go out of their way to keep conflict going.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Alright I need an anime recommendo. I will watch the first suggested show that I haven't seen.

Garo: Carved Seal of Flame

Well this worked out nicely, knowing IKG's tastes.

I loaded up Garo Vanishing Line cause I only remembered the first word of the title, and noped out of that by the opening song.

Don't seem to have access to Carved Seal.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes was the second recommendation so away we go to space!

I recommend you turn to Tubi, the best streaming service, and watch a Kamen Rider. I'd go with Ryuki, but Kuuga is also good if you want something way less splashy.

I will state here that the 2000-2009 Kamen Rider shows can be a bit rough depending on the series. Kamen Rider Faiz for example has an early episode where...
    ...a high-school girl is bullied relentlessly by her family and schoolmates which can be pretty bad to watch. Unfortunately for her sister and schoolmates, she'd died midway through her origin story which converted her into one of the show's monsters and she ends up killing them in a high school gym when they finally push her too far.

The darker tones in this period of KR in part comes from one of it's major writers during the time, Toshiki Inoue. The guy has a thing for keeping characters from talking to each other, to the point of creating characters that go out of their way to keep conflict going.

Also, fighting in Rivers. Lots of fighting in rivers, usually after not talking.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

Wakfu

(though I strongly recommend watching it subtitled; the English dub is not good.)

I like the dub quite a bit... :(

Well, I didn't enjoy the kickstarter-funded dub, at least what I heard of it (which was less than half of the first episode). Maybe they made a new dub, or maybe I liked the original voice-acting so much that the English dub rubbed me the wrong way, or maybe the first English dub gets better. I have heard opinions of that last one.

I prefer the French for what it's worth but that's also because I can watch it without subtitles and still get the general gist of things (though I use them anyway because I am not fluent!), but I was pretty surprised by how much I liked the dub.

I mean, I didn't like the (first part of the first episode of the) English dub because I felt the changes it made ruined the atmosphere and assumed it would be like that the whole way, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I might give it a second try!

Also, according to wikipedia, Season 3 has a different English voice cast.

oh interesting, I haven't seen season 3 with the English dub as I've only watched it once!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also, for Kamen Rider recommendations...

KR Build: An artifact from mars split japan into three. Cue shennagins.
    KR Double (sometimes written as Kamen Rider W): Take a Noir show, then make it Half-boiled. Notably the first of the Neo-Heisei era of shows, which were in general more light-hearted
    KR Gaim: Written by the same dude who did Madoka, Thunderbolt Fantasty, and others. Involves a creepy forest parallel dimension.
    KR Zero-One - first of the Reiwa era of shows. Suffered a bit from Covid interrupting things, but was overall very good.
    KR Ex-Aid: Doctors + Video Games. About as insane as it sounds, and also weirdly good.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Oh, Tubi has Twelve Kingdoms

Neat, know what I'm rewatching then.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I feel like I need to watch Kyousougiga a third time

The second time through I absolutely understood what was up on a gut feeling/intuitive level but I haven't reached the point yet where I feel like I could map it out like I can with say, FLCL (doesn't help that Kyousougiga generally lacks discourse and analysis, let alone at the scale of the former)

on that note does anyone have good recommendations for other anime in a similar vibe of a) very little if any spoon-feeding the viewer, and b) generally feeling unique or at least compelling in a novel way

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    For Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the first few episodes were collected and edited (redone?) as a movie called Overture to a New War, which is free to watch on YouTube. There's also a prequel movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, but I might recommend watching that after you've seen the main series.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    A quick primer for LotGH

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars: Hour long movie set right before the main OVA think of it as episode 0 and a way to check if you will like the series.

Overture to a New War: 90 minute extended directors cut of the first 2 episodes from the main OVA.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The reason you are reading this post. If you watched Overture start at episode 2 cause from what I remember there was a couple scenes that got skipped.

A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights: Prequel series OVA part 1 might be combined with part 2 and called LotGH Gaiden. More for people who already watched the main series and want to see the battle that one guy famous and get promoted to rear admiral. Episodes are not shown chronological so you want to look up a view order.

Spiral Labyrinth: Prequel series OVA part 2. See above.

Golden Wings: Hour long movie set in the middle of the prequel. Also see above.

Everything with Die Neue These in the name: The remake. Watch the original and then watch your favourite battle redone in CGI on YouTube.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, for Kamen Rider recommendations...

KR Build: An artifact from mars split japan into three. Cue shennagins.
    KR Double (sometimes written as Kamen Rider W): Take a Noir show, then make it Half-boiled. Notably the first of the Neo-Heisei era of shows, which were in general more light-hearted
    KR Gaim: Written by the same dude who did Madoka, Thunderbolt Fantasty, and others. Involves a creepy forest parallel dimension.
    KR Zero-One - first of the Reiwa era of shows. Suffered a bit from Covid interrupting things, but was overall very good.
    KR Ex-Aid: Doctors + Video Games. About as insane as it sounds, and also weirdly good.

For Zero-One, ignore the post-show 01thers direct-to-DVD films. Probably watch Ex-Aid first before Zero-One if just to better understand the Gemn specials that take place in post-series Zero-One. Ditto before Build. I personally dug Den-O from the 2000-2009 era. Fun time-travel show with characters that have continued to pop up beyond it's series. Also the first KR series in the Heisei era who's movies are for the most part actually canon and whose events actually impact back into the series. Admittedly yes, Kabuto's movie is also canon to it's show but not as directly.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    First, Vanishing Line is great too.

Second, the first episode starts with a dude fist fighting a giant monster on a rooftop until he suplexes it onto a car, then goes back to his biker chick date who was waiting on his motorcycle, turns it on by punching his demon ring into the ignition, and then rides off with her in lap.

Third, what on earth is wrong with its OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_1-pi7Chk0

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    on that note does anyone have good recommendations for other anime in a similar vibe of a) very little if any spoon-feeding the viewer, and b) generally feeling unique or at least compelling in a novel way

Sonny Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3T-XNAnww

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I dunno if it's just because I'm in a mood or something but lately I've been full-on axing a lot of the garbage isekai manga I normally read because I just...don't care about it anymore. It either resolved what was actually interesting, is taking a hard dive in quality, went a direction I really do not like, or just whatever else caused me to look at a new chapter releasing and thinking I may be bored but not that bored. Also doesn't help that I just see so many copycat waves and know where they're originating from. Seldom are they even close to as good as the original, if the original is any good itself at least.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I dunno if it's just because I'm in a mood or something but lately I've been full-on axing a lot of the garbage isekai manga I normally read because I just...don't care about it anymore. It either resolved what was actually interesting, is taking a hard dive in quality, went a direction I really do not like, or just whatever else caused me to look at a new chapter releasing and thinking I may be bored but not that bored. Also doesn't help that I just see so many copycat waves and know where they're originating from. Seldom are they even close to as good as the original, if the original is any good itself at least.

Yeah, I've started cutting some more manhwa, to.

Of course I was at the point where I started forgetting what was happening in some of them because they're so fucking similar so....

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not a good thing when I'm squinting at a title cover and wondering if it's X, Y, or Z. Then it turns out none of the above it's something "new" for all that word means amongst copycats.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Ah, Sonny Boy, a show that operated by the same philosophy towards characters and story as Whose Line is It Anyway. Everything is made up, and none of the points matter.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I just learned that in the Inuyasha sequel
    Sesshomaru and Rin ended up getting together and she gave birth to twins.

Rin being the child he took care off in the original series.

Ugggggggh

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I just learned that in the Inuyasha sequel
    Sesshomaru and Rin ended up getting together and she gave birth to twins.

Rin being the child he took care off in the original series.

Ugggggggh

Yeahhhh, that's not great.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Talking about KR and no one said OOOs? I won't stand for this cake boss slander.

For random webtoons:

'Lets play' is a modern romance that just kind of plays handball against the 4th wall. It's pretty ok.

'little matcha girl' is some pretty fascinating art and is about a family of... Necromancer mafioso I guess? Good read if a bit uneven in pacing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I feel like I need to watch Kyousougiga a third time

The second time through I absolutely understood what was up on a gut feeling/intuitive level but I haven't reached the point yet where I feel like I could map it out like I can with say, FLCL (doesn't help that Kyousougiga generally lacks discourse and analysis, let alone at the scale of the former)

Have you watched The Tatami Galaxy?

• Options
    Talking about KR and no one said OOOs? I won't stand for this cake boss slander.

For random webtoons:

'Lets play' is a modern romance that just kind of plays handball against the 4th wall. It's pretty ok.

'little matcha girl' is some pretty fascinating art and is about a family of... Necromancer mafioso I guess? Good read if a bit uneven in pacing.

I somehow zoned on OOOs, which, yeah, my bad.

OOOs is one of those shows i almost wish they could do again, with more budget and a tighter run of episodes because there's a ton of good concepts in there. also some killer suit designs.

This discussion has been closed.