Options

The [Anime] Adaptation Thread

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Robots become twice as cool when they put on sunglasses.

What happens to their cool when they use those glasses like a tomahawk

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Robots become twice as cool when they put on sunglasses.

What happens to their cool when they use those glasses like a tomahawk

Gotta start measuring in megaFonzies at that point

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It's also cool when there's several vehicles and then they connect up to become a robot.

You're all wow this is fun but how are they gonna punch that way bigger monster? And then they become a robot and you're like, ah, ok, now I understand. And then the punching begins.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Gimme a medium robot anime.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Let me be the first in here to say: Ryoko worst girl.
    DzGp7A1UYAYUqgp.jpg

Interesting how the "worst girl" ended up with our protagonist.
    Tenchi-and-Ryoko.png

Reynolds.... When will you accept that you are wrong and history will look shamefully upon you.

She ended up with the other worst character, that's all.

But...nobody ended up with Tenchi's dad?
    The bigger something is, the bigger the punch is.

I don't know, I've seen some tiny teenage girls in anime deliver some pretty big punches.
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Also tonight on animenagerie, Baccano was FREAKIN UNBELIEVABLE!

Ladd Russo's English voice actor just goes for it.

In terms of the giant robot talk, I think the Full Metal Panic robots are pretty small comparatively? I haven't seen it in forever though, but I seem to remember them only being a few stories tall or something. Also that one season he spent piloting a tricked out mascot costume.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Gimme a medium robot anime.

Patlabor is basically this in a nutshell

• Options
    Love a medium robot

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Love a medium robot

What the fuck

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Love a medium robot

What the fuck

Gotta have them robots medium

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wouldn't a medium robot just be human-sized, in what world are patlabors medium

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't a medium robot just be human-sized, in what world are patlabors medium

No, that's small.

Small: Knight Sabers, Sakura Wars' Koubus
    Medium: Patlabors, Exo-Squads, Macross Variables
    Large: Gundams
    Intergalactic: Gurren Lagaan, Gunbuster, Sanger Zonvolt

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I consider Code Geass robots to be medium size. They're definitely bigger than humans and most military vehicles aside from carriers and such, but not so big that they can't navigate a city without ruining cars and buildings

• Options
    notya wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Oh, I see!

I share my very normal preference and I am made the focus of derision?!

Every single person in this thread is a degenerate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--c3tOUcrZA

• Options
    Small= smaller than a human, a haro or a roombas
    Medium=roughly human sized, androids etc.
    Giant= everything bigger than a human, what are you basing your scale on if not humans???

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Look I know a medium robot when I see one.

• Options
    Humans are small therefore robots the size of humans are small.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Small= smaller than a human, a haro or a roombas
    Medium=roughly human sized, androids etc.
    Giant= everything bigger than a human, what are you basing your scale on if not humans???

The problem with your scale is giant can range from like 12.5 feet for a scopedog to billions of light years.

• Options
    the universe as a whole is medium, so everything within it is small, making tengen toppa gurren lagann the only giant robot

This is what you sound like!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    By my scale, they start getting large when you need an entire crew to repair and maintain the things. A single person can maintain a Knight Saber or a Patlabor, you need a squad to maintain a Gundam or an Eva.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    the patlabors have a dedicated maintenance team, that's like half the cast on the base

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    the patlabors have a dedicated maintenance team, that's like half the cast on the base

Well, it's definitely ideal... but you usually only see one or two guys working on mechs that size in other shows.

The Magic Knight Rayearth cast are lucky, don't have to maintain magical entities.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Love a medium robot

What the fuck

Full Metal Panic? Escaflowne?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    the universe as a whole is medium, so everything within it is small, making tengen toppa gurren lagann the only giant robot

I’m just saying we’re mostly discussing pilotable robots so I would probably start the small scale at the scopedog. Medium would be like a standard gundam or Mazinger Z. I don’t have a good example of large from anime but like Pacific Rim Jaegers. Giant would probably start with Gunbuster. And then yeah the TTGL is off in it’s own category way farther down the line.

• Options
    I refuse to live in a world where patlabors are considered too small to be giant fucking robots
    they need to be carried around on a humongous 4-lane-wide transport truck!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I’m just saying we’re mostly discussing pilotable robots so I would probably start the small scale at the scopedog. Medium would be like a standard gundam or Mazinger Z. I don’t have a good example of large from anime but like Pacific Rim Jaegers. Giant would probably start with Gunbuster. And then yeah the TTGL is off in it’s own category way farther down the line.

you can do this but you have to say "small giant robot" vs. "large giant robot"
    "small robot" vs. "giant robot" without the qualifier includes the full range of sizes including non-giant robots

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Well, it's definitely ideal... but you usually only see one or two guys working on mechs that size in other shows.

The Magic Knight Rayearth cast are lucky, don't have to maintain magical entities.

this is a nonsense metric, the number of maintenance personnel is rarely something the story actually cares at all to illustrate beyond "there's a maintenance guy in this scene to convey some information or banter with the pilot" even in the more real-robot-y giant robot stories

yes I am choosing to die on this giant robot-shaped hill today

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The scopedog falls around medium to me, but they're not that much bigger than the Koubu.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Medium robot should be a robot with psychic powers

• Options

Wait but what size is it?

• Options

Average

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    There was that one show about office-worker giant robot pilots that had a whole full maintenance team with trucks and everything that had to put together all the parts every time.

Then halfway through the show they made the parts be able to fly together on their own and later there's a shot of the maintenance guys going "So do they still need us now that the parts can fly are we gonna get fired?"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    this is making me go insane
    you lot contend that a fictional robot that's the size of a semi truck and trailer or small house is not a "giant" robot because much larger fictional robots exist???

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    you lot contend that a fictional robot that's the size of a semi truck and trailer or small house is not a "giant" robot because much larger fictional robots exist???

Yes

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Average

Hell yes.

• Options

Well, they become marginally less impressive if you have robots that can crush them underfoot. You have to quantify things somehow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    they typically do not exist in the same fiction! but also that's not relevant to whether they have the admittedly broad property of being large!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    they typically do not exist in the same fiction! but also that's not relevant to whether they have the admittedly broad property of being large!

My logic is unassailable by virtue of being non-existent

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Who the heck gets excited by... average robots.

Madmen I tell ya

• Options
    Love a medium robot

What the fuck

wait, 2b and r. dorothy wainright are medium...

you might be onto something

• Options

Bubblegum Crisis has all three in one show!
    Knight Sabers: small
    Boomers: medium
    Tinsel City: large
    k31pr0zgh5j3.png

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.