edited December 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Love a medium robot

What the fuck

Gotta have them robots medium

wait, 2b and r. dorothy wainright are medium...

you might be onto something

I dunno seem kinda too small to be medium.

They’re more normal robots.

rhylith on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Point of order: the Knight Sabers use hardsuits, which are powered armor, and not robots or mecha.

They do however have transformable motorcycles which can operate either in autonomous mode or as additional pilotable armor for the Knight Sabers. Therefore the motoroids are both robots and mecha.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think Rumble and Frenzy might be bigger than I am, but they are still small robots.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    There was that one show about office-worker giant robot pilots that had a whole full maintenance team with trucks and everything that had to put together all the parts every time.

Then halfway through the show they made the parts be able to fly together on their own and later there's a shot of the maintenance guys going "So do they still need us now that the parts can fly are we gonna get fired?"

What show is this?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    There was that one show about office-worker giant robot pilots that had a whole full maintenance team with trucks and everything that had to put together all the parts every time.

Then halfway through the show they made the parts be able to fly together on their own and later there's a shot of the maintenance guys going "So do they still need us now that the parts can fly are we gonna get fired?"

What show is this?

I believe it was this one- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dai-Guard

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I think gurren laggan is tremendously overrated by a western audience that hadn't had a ton of exposure to super robot content

Beyond some stylistic touches its cultural cache in Japan seems comparatively muted

• Options
    I never made it past the hot spring or beach or whatever episode it was in Gurren Laggan when I tried to watch it years ago. Then I got spoiled that the only character I found interesting at that point would die shortly after that and so just couldn't muster continuing.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I think gurren laggan is tremendously overrated by a western audience that hadn't had a ton of exposure to super robot content

Beyond some stylistic touches its cultural cache in Japan seems comparatively muted

Some anime simply hit big in the USA/West in a way they don't in Japan, and I think TTGL does here because it's a sort of "Queen's Greatest Hits" cassette tape worth of super robot anime

It hits all the biggest notes of the genre in 26 episodes, with a solid budget and recognizable traces of FLCL (another show huge in the USA that barely registers in Japan), stands on its own reasonably well, and doesn't overstay its welcome

See also: Gundam Wing being enormous in the USA where the UC has never really gotten major traction here

• Options
    wing hit at the right time, much like TTGL did

gundam had a truly bizarre release order in the west overall though

• Options

True, Wing hit right at the start of the '00s anime boom while TTGL hit at the very end

My kingdom for an official USA Turn A release tho

• Options
    and they both hit at a time when the culture hadn't had a lot of exposure to their respective genres (i can't really think of a wide release super robot show of that era besides big o, which is doing such a different thing)

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is far too large to be in the 'giant' category

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Hence my "Intergalactic" category, also including most OG mechs with attacks that can rend entire solar systems in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zieduj1u5nI

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Most shows don't go to the scale of TTGL, much less the movie version deciding to one up it even further.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I never made it past the hot spring or beach or whatever episode it was in Gurren Laggan when I tried to watch it years ago. Then I got spoiled that the only character I found interesting at that point would die shortly after that and so just couldn't muster continuing.

In general, my worldview on fiction is this: fiction provides the happy endings that aren't possible in real life. As such, I fucking hate character deaths that rob happiness from a given series.

That being said, even I can begrudgingly admit that it's a pretty good character death, as far as character deaths go.

If you just skip the hot springs episode entirely, as it's filler, I would give the show another shot.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    they typically do not exist in the same fiction! but also that's not relevant to whether they have the admittedly broad property of being large!

Bubblegum Crisis has all three in one show!
    Knight Sabers: small
    Boomers: medium
    Tinsel City: large
    k31pr0zgh5j3.png

a lot of the boomers are just, regular human sized too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fucking boomers.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Some anime simply hit big in the USA/West in a way they don't in Japan, and I think TTGL does here because it's a sort of "Queen's Greatest Hits" cassette tape worth of super robot anime

It hits all the biggest notes of the genre in 26 episodes, with a solid budget and recognizable traces of FLCL (another show huge in the USA that barely registers in Japan), stands on its own reasonably well, and doesn't overstay its welcome

See also: Gundam Wing being enormous in the USA where the UC has never really gotten major traction here

Maybe in the last two-thirds...

There's a section in the beginning of Gurren Laggan that is strapped for cash

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    they typically do not exist in the same fiction! but also that's not relevant to whether they have the admittedly broad property of being large!

Bubblegum Crisis has all three in one show!
    Knight Sabers: small
    Boomers: medium
    Tinsel City: large
    k31pr0zgh5j3.png

a lot of the boomers are just, regular human sized too

rmxz33pyn3lw.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Leon's so cool.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

True, Wing hit right at the start of the '00s anime boom while TTGL hit at the very end

Good news! Turn A Gundam's been licensed in the west for a while now

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Huh, wild, I'd remembered Bandaid pulling out of the US market before it saw a proper release but maybe that was the dub I'm thinking of

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I've just come across this OP called Flashback

That song fucks

• Options
    Kokkoku is good!!!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    All I know is the OP a friend sent me with the text "get a load of this"

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

it was too big to be called a giant robot... massive, thick, tengen, and far too toppa. indeed, it was like a spiral of raw energy.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Kokkoku is good!!!

I listen to the intro song on an almost daily basis.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Huh, wild, I'd remembered Bandaid pulling out of the US market before it saw a proper release but maybe that was the dub I'm thinking of

You are correct that Bandai America imploded shortly after announcing they were going to release Turn A, but Right Stuf has been diligently releasing all Gundam stuff on DVD and Blu-Ray for a number of years now, and are more or less caught up to everything but the newest stuff.

This is a good time to grab Turn A as the Gundam stuff goes on sale for Xmas every year.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I've just come across this OP called Flashback

That song fucks

sadly the show ain't particularly good

but flashback is crazy good

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Regarding size I present the last line of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8cFF_8QdIM

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Gurren Lagann is a solid super robot anime. It's nothing groundbreaking, and it has pretty little that is unique to itself, it just executes on its premise quite well.

This is more than you can say for, like, a solid half of the Getter Robo material out there.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options

I've literally never heard of it. Is it any good?
    (Still amazed Wangan Midnight hasn't gotten a proper series release here yet.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm still just smug that I called the existence of bigger combos and my friend refused to believe me.

Then bam. Last couple of episodes happened! Take that, friend

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

But... but... but...

https://youtu.be/5EXFilTUiko

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    One of the funniest things you can find while idly Googling info about next season's shows is the animation director spending three months complaining on Twitter that the production of the show is a complete disaster and everybody working on the show hates it.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    No true giant robot

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Never look at how the sasuga is made

This discussion has been closed.