Options

The [Anime] Adaptation Thread

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Never look at how the sasuga is made

Also, apparently the director of Chainsaw Man is a huge racist.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Yes but how does he compare to a Patlabor though

Kreutz on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Apparently what started that whole deal was a tweet from his privated twitter account where he talked about a trip to China where he stated 'my image of China has completely changed' and that he couldn't wait for the next opportunity he'd get to travel there. That line of phrasing apparently made people curious, they dug a litttle, and discovered bunches of racist anti-chinese and Korean tweets (seemingly also not viewable to the general public) on that same private account from a around a decade ago where he said a bunch of stuff that basically boiled down to "Chinese people are inherently immoral" and "I would never feel safe visiting China or South Korea."

The thing is, since the whole thing that drew a larger awareness that he had expressed those racist sentiments was the original tweet where he, unpromted since his previous racist remarks had seemingly slipped past just about everyone's radar, stated that after personal experience he had changed his mind. So he definitely was a racist, but he never expressed said views on a truly public platform, and the whole thing that brought attention to them was him going "I was wrong."

So he definitely was a racist shitbag ten years ago, but he may not be a racist shitbag now. Unless there's news I don't know about where he's made recent racist statements.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    A decade is a long time and people can truly change a lot in that amount of time. Unless there's recent stuff of him being a shitbird I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt today.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There's one mecha show from 2000 that basically everyone famous at the time worked on, down to Megumi as the main girl and singing the OP/ED. Never been subtitled. It hurts.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Finally getting around to watching more of MHA's latest season. I'm part way through the arc where the kids go hang out with pro heroes again.

Some general thoughts
    The Class A v B battle was interesting but mostly just some character development, and I've been champing at the bit for story developments so it wasn't as engaging as I wanted. Bakugo mellowing out a bit in some circumstances is interesting, but it's really his behaviour around Deku that I want to see character improvement on... I'm really interested in what's going on with One for All, with the other perks manifesting in Deku now, but this was very much a setup for that.

The stuff with Hawk being a double agent is really cool, though it's all a bit... sudden? This series has a habit of ramping up the scope and stakes way faster than feels right. I'm eager to see more of it though, and Hawk is really interesting to me.

Main thoughts on the work studies arc is that Todoroki's sister owns, I love her so much.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @Anzekay catch up with the manga for this part of you can. Between covid and the new MHA movie they shuffled stuff and edited stuff and a bunch of important context that was in the manga for lost. Super frustrating

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I've literally read like, idk, 1 chapter of the manga ever. So that'd be a lot of reading.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I've literally read like, idk, 1 chapter of the manga ever. So that'd be a lot of reading.

Nah, just find where season 5 stars and read that. By and large the anime has been a great adaption that's usually improved things, it's only season 5 that dropped the ball

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I have high hopes/expectations for MHA Season 6 because at this point the manga just takes off and begins firing on all cylinders.

Not only with action, but very interesting and needed character development and plot.

I'm honestly a bit wary that they'll be able to adapt it properly after S5.

• Options
    As a side note, I just wanna say that the Funimation web player sucks so fucking much

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    As a side note, I just wanna say that the Funimation web player sucks so fucking much

It's terrible on Playstation 4 as well.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Nah, just find where season 5 stars and read that. By and large the anime has been a great adaption that's usually improved things, it's only season 5 that dropped the ball

As someone that recently got super into MHA, do you know what chapter that is?

• Options

It's terrible on Playstation 4 as well.

They bought out Madman and their Animelab streaming service in Australia last year, and finished combining the Animelab stuff into the funimation streaming service last month... They didn't take even one part of the Animelab web player, which was frankly the best in the business. It's a travesty, and I miss it so fucking much.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

As someone that recently got super into MHA, do you know what chapter that is?

Offhand, no!

BUT I CAN DIG.

Also this is probably a good time to shill that a subscription to the shonen jump app is like a dollar a month or something else ludiciosuly cheap, and gets you all kinds of stuff - the only issue is you're for some reason limited to reading a 100 chapters a day. (I suspect it's an anti-piracry measure? It's still sucky)

But we're talking full archives of all of dragon ball, Z, naruto, bleach, one piece, mha, JJK, Claymore, there's a fuckton of content and it's a very good deal.

and using that, things kick off around chapter 190 or so. That finishes up the Endevour vs High-End arc, and leads into the start of season 5.

The MVA arc kicks off with chapter 218.

• Options
    hooooly shit Shigaraki
    Talk about a backstory full of horror and trauma, jesus christ

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    hooooly shit Shigaraki
    Yeah, it's like Overhaul but... chunky.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    hooooly shit Shigaraki

My SO and I wanted to end the night on that episode then watched it and went "uh let's watch an episode of always sunny or something"

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Kaguya-sama 248:
    To the moon!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Kaguya-sama 248:
    To the moon!
    I’m just watching S2 with my kids and coincidentally we just saw the
    moon viewing
    episode, which gives me hope for the next bits of story.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Latin America had kind of a lot of anime way before English speaking audiences really would have known much about them, honestly

Like they got all the Mazingers and Grendizer in Spanish, which is just wild to think about

We just got a really bad Americanization of Mazinger called Tranzor that didn't do particularly well

• Options
    Speaking of, just stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPNckoRRJs

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Slowed way down on JoJo but because it was hitting good enough for me that I wanted to watch it with more focus, and my partner started watching it along with me, so we'd watch a few episodes of Part Four now and then.
    Wrapped it up last night and definitely the one I've enjoyed the most so far. Not sure if I'll start on Part Five right away, have a bit of a backlog of things to play or watch at the moment. Superb late season opening edit for the Bites the Dust arc.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    this is a hell of a fan project:
    https://youtu.be/CczOkioIeJ8

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Best Troll in Anime/Manga:

Akane from My Monster Secret / Actually I Am...

6noinh7sdzr8.png

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Najimi is one of my favorite characters now
    46135qqrk6f9.png

But I think Naruse is my favorite overall
    x2us7n2ycfja.png
    0kb8r3p1so83.png

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    If we're talking about Favorite Guys, it's gotta be Hamabe

pq0s6gx7zimr.jpg

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    what's that manga, weedlord?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    That's Flying Witch, which has continued well past the anime adaptation now

It actually has a plot that occasionally makes its very gentle pressure known but is otherwise the same perfectly mellow vibes you expect

• Options
    huh interesting, I like that art style more than the anime's. Which isn't a slight on the anime in this case, it had good animation, just seems like it lost the original artist's style completely.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I started reading the first Vampire Hunter D novel the other day, and it's real fun. Very... dumb, but I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy the Conan stories - this is a dude who is real fucking hot, and real fucking good at killing, and every lady that sees him wants him, and he's always gonna get out of scrapes because he's fucking Vampire Hunter D!

It's a weird pulpy mishmash of nonsense and post-post apocalyptic absurdity, but really enjoyable. I could do without the lurid descriptions of women's bodies (especially when they take every chance to mention AND SHE'S ONLY SEVENTEEN) but unfortunately that's just a thing I've come to expect of books like this.

Also, I didn't realize that 1) it's a series of novels originally (given how I heard about it years ago I assumed it was an anime or longrunning manga), 2) there have been only two movies, the last of which was made 20 years ago, and 3) there's 29 of these novels?!?

Anyway, I'm certainly interested in watching the movies now. I hear that if nothing else they're very well-animated.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I started reading the first Vampire Hunter D novel the other day, and it's real fun. Very... dumb, but I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy the Conan stories - this is a dude who is real fucking hot, and real fucking good at killing, and every lady that sees him wants him, and he's always gonna get out of scrapes because he's fucking Vampire Hunter D!

It's a weird pulpy mishmash of nonsense and post-post apocalyptic absurdity, but really enjoyable. I could do without the lurid descriptions of women's bodies (especially when they take every chance to mention AND SHE'S ONLY SEVENTEEN) but unfortunately that's just a thing I've come to expect of books like this.

Also, I didn't realize that 1) it's a series of novels originally (given how I heard about it years ago I assumed it was an anime or longrunning manga), 2) there have been only two movies, the last of which was made 20 years ago, and 3) there's 29 of these novels?!?

Anyway, I'm certainly interested in watching the movies now. I hear that if nothing else they're very well-animated.

The dub for the movie hasn't aged that well, but I still enjoy it

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I always assumed that Rent a Girlfriend was a the usual harem/romantic comedy and didn't pay much attention to it.

There was a bunch of discourse about it's current chapter so I got curious and took a look. And WTF is this train wreck?

NSFW description
    The main character is sad that he got turned down by the Girlfriend, and then starts imagining her with other guys and the manga gets explicit about it.

The last spread is him wallowing in a pool, crying BUT also having a noticeable erection.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Stay faraway from Rental Girlfriend.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I always assumed that Rent a Girlfriend was a the usual harem/romantic comedy and didn't pay much attention to it.

There was a bunch of discourse about it's current chapter so I got curious and took a look. And WTF is this train wreck?

NSFW description
    The main character is sad that he got turned down by the Girlfriend, and then starts imagining her with other guys and the manga gets explicit about it.

The last spread is him wallowing in a pool, crying BUT also having a noticeable erection.

NSFW and I apologize if I am putting new cursed information into your brain if you read this
    lmfao, I had occasionally wondered at what that title was about, I wonder if it's a japanese pun on "rental" (probably like ren-ta-ru/lu) sounding like NTR, the Japanese term for the fetish of getting off on getting cheated on

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I get the feeling Garnt/Gigguk is cackling like mad at Rent A Girlfriend now

• Options
    I liked the character design for Rent A Girlfriend but even in just the short anime arcs they made the MC was insufferable. I don't know why but these days it's a dice roll if you'll get a wholesome MC or one who should just be thrown in the ocean

This discussion has been closed.