Options

The [Anime] Adaptation Thread

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I liked the character design for Rent A Girlfriend but even in just the short anime arcs they made the MC was insufferable. I don't know why but these days it's a dice roll if you'll get a wholesome MC or one who should just be thrown in the ocean

There's definitely been a shift in recent years as light novel/web novel garbage has taken over the space that used to be visual novel adaptations. Your trashy visual novel protagonist was almost always literally just a fucking nobody. A complete non-entity, practically a barely sentient golem, that everybody just emotes at and around, like a Dragon Quest hero. You still see a few here and there, like Princess Connect's protagonist, which is one of like two shows that I have even an iota of hope for next season and I didn't even like the first season that much past the first few episodes, but they've in large part fallen out of favor.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Additional context for Rental Girlfriend

We are now on chapter like 30 of this arc

Every 2 chapters ends with a cliffhanger thinking they are finally, finally, going to confess and then something stupid happens

Every single time

And till this point it was like, pg-13 at worst melodrama that was fine

And then the previews for this chapters leaked

And people had to be corrected over and over that no this isnt a joke pron doujin that got linked instead its actual previews

And like 3 different subreddits are on fire now and burning down the entire fandom

Ive just been sitting here cackling watching. Like even the fan pages on instagram are shutting down

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Will it match the dumpster fire that was Domestic Girlfriend though

• Options
    The consensus seems to be that it makes the ending of Domestic Girlfriend coherent in comparison

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The consensus seems to be that it makes the ending of Domestic Girlfriend coherent in comparison

Amazing

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Yeah Rental Girlfriend is a manga I've read mostly out of a mix of morbid curiosity and spite after vaguely enjoying the trashiness first arcs contained in the anime, but the fact of the matter is 85% of the actual enjoyable content there is in the span covered by the anime, and everything after is even more wheel-spinningly useless than the opening arcs covered by the anime already were

Light plot spoiler, but one worth knowing if you at all care about the series
    especially because the primary plot driver and only person smart enough to see how useless the whole situation is, the MC's ex Mami, leaves the manga all the way from the end of the anime to the most recent arc, where she comes back to basically make anything happen again after >100 chapters of wheel spinning

Why yes, I do enjoy a trash manga once in a while, but tbh KanoKari/Rental Girlfriend is a turducken of plot contrivances built on a set of characters that are largely unlikable because the likeable characters all either get put on the sidelines or forced into unlikeability compliance

The infinitely superior idiot love cube time waster is Kanojo Mo Kanojo/Girlfriend Girlfriend

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Oh my fucking god the Discord and Subreddit for it are on complete lockdown

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I like Girlfriend Girlfriend until they introduced the character who is always naked and falling on the MC, it had a good enough dynamic before that shit

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    y'all gotta stop reading manga starring men/written by men/acknowledged by men

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    y'all gotta stop reading manga starring men

It's in the name, MAN ga

• Options
    Sitting in a discord watching people go "How bad could it really be" and then come back to yell at me 3 minutes later

I havent cackled this hard since Domestic Girlfriends ending

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

well, yes, but I knew that already

• Options
    I read none of this shit I just love watching the fires

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    More than anything it was like already a "taking this too far" trashy domestic drama sorta series, and then it got successful and they were like "IT CAN NEVER END" and now the mangaka's just sniffin' glue for plot ideas to keep this thing going another few months.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Urusei Yatsura, written by the queen of manga, has a ton of problematic stuff, and I'm curious how the remake will handle it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Urusei Yatsura, written by the queen of manga, has a ton of problematic stuff, and I'm curious how the remake will handle it.

Having just recently watched if for the first time, hopefully with people talking at room volume a little more

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    More than anything it was like already a "taking this too far" trashy domestic drama sorta series, and then it got successful and they were like "IT CAN NEVER END" and now the mangaka's just sniffin' glue for plot ideas to keep this thing going another few months.

It really feels like the editor said "no you are keeping this fucker going until we get that season 2 announcment"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Finished my back to back watch of S3 and 4 of Aggretsuko

S3 was rough, I didn't like a certain plotline but it was good despite that

S4 was a lot better and actually feels like an ending to the series, if that's what they're going for? Edit should have waited for the credits to finish lmao, S5 already confirmed

Also I never watched that Xmas special

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I started reading the first Vampire Hunter D novel the other day, and it's real fun. Very... dumb, but I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy the Conan stories - this is a dude who is real fucking hot, and real fucking good at killing, and every lady that sees him wants him, and he's always gonna get out of scrapes because he's fucking Vampire Hunter D!

It's a weird pulpy mishmash of nonsense and post-post apocalyptic absurdity, but really enjoyable. I could do without the lurid descriptions of women's bodies (especially when they take every chance to mention AND SHE'S ONLY SEVENTEEN) but unfortunately that's just a thing I've come to expect of books like this.

Also, I didn't realize that 1) it's a series of novels originally (given how I heard about it years ago I assumed it was an anime or longrunning manga), 2) there have been only two movies, the last of which was made 20 years ago, and 3) there's 29 of these novels?!?

Anyway, I'm certainly interested in watching the movies now. I hear that if nothing else they're very well-animated.

The movies are worth a watch, certainly. The second one is at least visually gorgeous

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    THE LAST EP OF GRIDMAN IS REAL GODDAMN GOOD

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    THE LAST EP OF GRIDMAN IS REAL GODDAMN GOOD

Tonight on Animenagerie:
    SURPRISE, REAL LIFE!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gridman ends on a very strong note, yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Arcane is way better than it has any right to be as a show based on League

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    on tonight's Animenagerie we learned that crime pays

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Ya just have to give crime a hand, when it works it works!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Isaac and Maria will live forever!

Oh also in Gridman
    when this started playing:

https://youtu.be/nybqhMbWTOI

I popped the FUCK. OFF.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

Except for Dallas.

Every single time that Dallas tries to do any crime, a random person will pass by and fuck him up.

• Options
    have yall decided on the next season on shows

Sounds fun

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    have yall decided on the next season on shows

Sounds fun

I think current plan has Season 4 starting on the 31st with this lineup:

Schedule_Example_6.png?width=757&height=456

6 episodes a night, two from each row. Roughly 9pm-12am EST (6pm-9pm PST).

The rest of this month until then will be finishing the Baccano oavs and Bakarina S2, with some random anime movies or specials to pad it out.

Lars on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    so happy y’all liked gridman. It’s the best

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    arlong park is a pretty good place to dip your toes into one piece, yeah

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I think those are all really great runs to drop in on.

While I suggested just the actual tournament in the middle of Kill la Kill, we're watching all of it because everyone else that had seen it agreed it was worth it.

I'm excited about Sailor Moon S, which I never saw on TV originally. We're currently trying to decide whether we go with the cousin dub or not. Some people have very strong opinions.

And Animenagerie has featured like five Trigger shows by this point, so Luluco was the obvious way to go.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Or you could branch out.

Real heavy "we have both kinds of music, country AND western" vibes all up in there.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i think watching big dumb shonen anime is sort of the point of the "big dumb shonen tournament arc" theme

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Doing just tourney arcs sounds hella fun. Y’all enjoy!

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I can't really think of a big genre we're missing (across the 4 seasons so far). Also has to be something that 5+ people can mostly agree on.

There's also the new 'no giant robots or genre deconstruction' rule...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Got tired of breakdowns?

Watching Keijo with a group would be a trip

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Eva took its toll on several of us.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder if I should pick My Hero Academia back up.

I stopped watching at the end of Season 2 because that's all there was at the time.

I remember enjoying it.

But not enough to care when season 3 and beyond came out.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

This discussion has been closed.