As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COVID-19] Its impact on you. Yes, you.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Its worth noting they make pro athletes sit out even if asymptomatic. Which I believe pretty much all of them are.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2021/12/17/southwest-airlines-ceo-covid-positive-senate-hearing/8942674002/

The airline CEO trying to claim masks aren't needed on planes is covid positive. Wonder how many mask less plane trips he's had.

[Nelson] HA HA[/Nelson]

Ah yes. The "Finding Out" phase of a "Fuck Around" campaign.

He’s rich and vaccinated. Doubt he’ll find out the right thing.

COVID doesn’t seem to give much of a shit how rich you are, in the end. Even the last President nearly fuckin died.

COVID doesn’t care, but the providers of mab treatments do.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Its worth noting they make pro athletes sit out even if asymptomatic. Which I believe pretty much all of them are.

Yeah the Bulls had like 10 perfectly healthy, asymptomatic-but-positive guys out this past week (for a sport with an active roster size of I think 14)

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Yeah the Bulls had like 10 perfectly healthy, asymptomatic-but-positive guys out this past week (for a sport with an active roster size of I think 14)

It is interesting. I could see them wanting to change the rule before they shut down again. Shut down just has so much negative political umf behind it even if it makes sense to do.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    The NHL is down to 1 unvaxxed player, found that out from a Seattle Times article about the Kraken's next game cancelled due to their opponent being full of covid. In the same article there is discussion about how NHL arenas (ice rinks in general) are horrible for covid due to air temps/air flow issues.

Chatting with friends about the NBA and we can't believe the league allows fans to be unmasked within 3-4 rows of the players and staff, yet that's allowed and their covid numbers are increasing.

NFL teams are falling apart, The Rams (Seahawks next opponent?) had 25 players of a 53 man roster test positive this week.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Speaking of sports folks, Ferrari Formula One driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for Covid... for the second time this year.

In case there was any question about the possibility of re-infection...

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, my understanding is that the leagues want to ease back on what they’re doing. Basically stop testing everyone and only test the unvaxxed or the symptomatic. And I have heard the argument that no other jobs test everyone.

The problem is, most jobs don’t interact with people the way a sports team does. Close contact, no mask, move from city to city.

Trying to keep things going is probably a good way to keep getting variants. Keep letting it test the vaccine and it might just find a way through.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Well a (pregnant!) family member and her husband both just tested positive (neither vaccinated, her doctor allegedly told her not to when she was trying to get pregnant and the husband is straight up anti-vax). They were both in my parent’s home earlier in the week so now I am trying to convince them to get tested (parents are both vaxxed and boosted).

I was going to go to my parents’ house this weekend and stay through Christmas. Now I’m wondering if I should wait until mid-next week, require a negative test, or forego going completely.

This is the closest it has hit to home for me, which is kinda amazing this far into the pandemic I suppose. Fuck COViD and fuck anyone who isn’t vaccinated that is able.

Both parents tested negative! Shocking no one, vaccinations and boosters work.

Pregnant family member is still only showing light symptoms fortunately.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I’m kind of hoping more government folks without vaccinations get fired so I can take their job. If you’re a federal employee and not vaccinated. I’m coming for your job. Screw those that don’t get vaccinated.

zepherin on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, remember how I said that a lot of anti vaxx push was pure craven cynical grift? Well:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr-house-party-guests-were-told-to-get-vaccinated-before-coming
    Kennedy’s anti-vaccine group, the Children’s Health Defense, more than doubled its revenue in 2020 to $6.8 million, according to an AP investigation.

The marks are going to be the ones struggling for an ICU bed. And everybody else, but is not like men like him care.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I woke up this morning in a bit of a panic. Something of a headache, sinuses, etc. It felt similar to when I had COVID but also... something else...

After 2 cups of coffee and a few glasses of water I can confirm, it was probably a hangover.

I cannot wait until I can stop panicking about these sorts of things.

Maybe in the next 10 years or so.... Although at this point it's be impossible to avoid.

It'll be great day when I can stop running to the spice rack to huff bay leaves to answer the question, "Can I still smell??"

My go to's have been deodorant and peanut butter.

Scrote

Anyway, we’re getting really close to major sports leagues suspending play even though they’re all vaccinated at rates substantially higher than the general public

Do you have a source for that?

I'm not Canadian and don't know if BNO news is a reputable source, but it was shared on twitter by an NHL Insider that I trust 3 days ago. According to the tweet, Canada is considering re-closing their boarder to non-essential travel with America.

Which would maybe not end the NHL season, but would be a significant pause and restructure of the remaining schedule for all 32 teams.
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Canada is considering closing its boarders to slow the spread of the omicron varient of covid

Which would have some major impacts on the NHL, which is kinda just ignoring the omicron varient that has added dozens of players to the covid protocol list in the last week, including 17 players added today alone

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    It's not even a "catch it once and be done" either. That's the frustrating part. I've spent the past 2 years being extra cautious by avoiding going to restaurants and movies. I've worn masks and got my shots. And at this point it all didn't fucking matter because these stupid chucklefucks decided that this is what they want to politicize. So now we'll eventually get Omicron... And then what? We've got our shots so hopefully we make it through. Then what happens again in 3 months? 4 months? Do we just have to keep buckling down and dealing with it?

Well, at some point we go full 1918 flu pandemic and it turns into a seasonal thing because it has burned itself out. That's the hoped for endgame.

There's also the fact that the spike protein on SARS-CoV-2 can only mutate so much before it is rendered unable to actually do the thing it does with the ACE2 receptor to enter cells. So, at a certain point there's hopefully a limit to what this fucking virus can pull on us.

Of course, that was the working theory after Delta, and Omicron is a mutated mess compared to Delta...

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I woke up this morning in a bit of a panic. Something of a headache, sinuses, etc. It felt similar to when I had COVID but also... something else...

After 2 cups of coffee and a few glasses of water I can confirm, it was probably a hangover.

I cannot wait until I can stop panicking about these sorts of things.

Maybe in the next 10 years or so.... Although at this point it's be impossible to avoid.

It'll be great day when I can stop running to the spice rack to huff bay leaves to answer the question, "Can I still smell??"

My go to's have been deodorant and peanut butter.

Scrote

Anyway, we’re getting really close to major sports leagues suspending play even though they’re all vaccinated at rates substantially higher than the general public

Do you have a source for that?

I'm not Canadian and don't know if BNO news is a reputable source, but it was shared on twitter by an NHL Insider that I trust 3 days ago. According to the tweet, Canada is considering re-closing their boarder to non-essential travel with America.

Which would maybe not end the NHL season, but would be a significant pause and restructure of the remaining schedule for all 32 teams.
    Canada is considering closing its boarders to slow the spread of the omicron varient of covid

Which would have some major impacts on the NHL, which is kinda just ignoring the omicron varient that has added dozens of players to the covid protocol list in the last week, including 17 players added today alone

The idea of closing the border was indeed considered but it was put aside for the time being. Instead, the federal gov. has reissued a global travel advisory against any non essential travel and testing is required for any trip (trips shorter than 72 hours used to be exempted from the testing requirement) .

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Got my booster this afternoon. Now triple Moderna'd! :+1: 'Twas about nine and a half hours ago here (UK, aka Plague Island), and so far the arm is aching noticeably up by shoulder but that's really all of note. So far.

So, this many hours later, does that make me post-Moderna?

I'll see myself out... :wink:
    I'm just jealous I can't make jokes like "pfully Pfizer'd"!

Follow-up: 5:40am here now (five hours later) and I feel crappy - feverish, tossing & turning, can't sleep a wink and everything hurts (arm/shoulder especially, no shock there). Feels like this one is kicking my ass more than the previous two combined. Pretty sure my body is angry. Which I guess is kinda the point!

Looks like my plan to do as little as possible over the weekend was a good one.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Got my booster this afternoon. Now triple Moderna'd! :+1: 'Twas about nine and a half hours ago here (UK, aka Plague Island), and so far the arm is aching noticeably up by shoulder but that's really all of note. So far.

Follow-up: 5:40am here now (five hours later) and I feel crappy - feverish, tossing & turning, can't sleep a wink and everything hurts (arm/shoulder especially, no shock there). Feels like this one is kicking my ass more than the previous two combined. Pretty sure my body is angry. Which I guess is kinda the point!

I had a less severe reaction than you sounds like, but the worst was over after 48 hours and by 72 I was back to normal. So hopefully you'll be on the same track.

Sucks about the weekend, but now's a good time to be boosted.

• Options

I had a less severe reaction than you sounds like, but the worst was over after 48 hours and by 72 I was back to normal. So hopefully you'll be on the same track.

Sucks about the weekend, but now's a good time to be boosted.

Yeah, it tracks with what I've heard from several people I know who got boosted before me. The weekend is fine, I was planning for this, good excuse to be on the couch or in bed, right? And yeah, I'd much rather be boosted than not. Sure I'll be right as rain (as much as I ever am, anyway) in a couple of days.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My state had about 20 confirmed Omicron cases last week. Wednesday this week 200 cases, today 600. That's just the confirmed, sequenced cases, but it shows how fast it's spreading.
    At the moment we're still in the downturn of wave 4 but wave 5 seems imminent, just in time for the holidays.

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/17/world/covid-omicron-vaccines#in-a-trial-pfizer-biontechs-low-dose-shot-did-not-provoke-an-adequate-immune-response-in-2-to-5-year-olds

2-5 year olds are going to be waiting longer than we thought. Now going for approval within the first half of 2022. I just want my daughter to be vaccinated. This sucks.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I had a couple of months in 2020 where I had the weirdest thing where I lost my sense of smell... after taking a hot bath. Took 3-4 hours for it to return. Then it stopped doing that.

Bodies, man.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

So when the cops pull you over and you tell them "I swear, officer, it's just oregano", you're actually telling the truth?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I got the omicron

I have been boostered for weeks

Tested negative Tues (rapid and PCR); got proper sick (like a cold) last few days and retested with a neg, am positive

Everyone in NYC is getting this thing

poo
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I got the omicron

I have been boostered for weeks

Tested negative Tues (rapid and PCR); got proper sick (like a cold) last few days and retested with a neg, am positive

Everyone in NYC is getting this thing

Gah, I'm sorry. I hope that it passes quickly and easily, and that your booster speeds you on the path to quick recovery, friend.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If somebody got a mix of pfizer and moderna, is there any general wisdom as to which one you should get as the 3rd booster? Or can you basically just flip a coin?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'd go Moderna.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If somebody got a mix of pfizer and moderna, is there any general wisdom as to which one you should get as the 3rd booster? Or can you basically just flip a coin?
    Moderna seams to have longer protection than Pfizer and mixing seams to give the best protection for the longest period. Since you’ve mixed already maybe moderna if it’s available.

• Options
    Finally dragged my ass out of my pit a couple of hours ago. A hot bath and some painkillers later and I'm feeling a whole lot... well, I won't say "better", exactly, but much "less bad". Certainly will be able to enjoy some nice evening telly tonight.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Moderna seams to have longer protection than Pfizer and mixing seams to give the best protection for the longest period. Since you’ve mixed already maybe moderna if it’s available.

Same. Given Moderna's booster is a half dose (so similar to Pfizer's regular dose) I'm not sure if Moderna's greater effectiveness at 2 shots vs. Pfizer at 2 shots is due to the larger dose they used however, so it may end up being a wash.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Well, my mother is in tears right now.

Ten days ago, she was potentially exposed to Covid. Three days ago, she was informed of her exposure, she was told to get PCR tested, and went to book a test. Tonight, she finally got her PCR test. The testing area had no social distancing, and was packed with people. She had to take her mask off at several steps of the way. She wanted to double mask, with the mask provided for her there and her own mask - they didn’t allow it. It took forever to process people, so she was in the room with a bunch of other people potentially affected by Covid for most of an hour. And when she got to the tester, they said “Oh, well, it’s been ten days, you don’t really need to be tested at this point if you feel fine. But since you’re here, you might as well.”

The plan had been for my family to go to my grandparents for Christmas, but my mother is now like “I don’t know if I had Covid before, but I probably have it now from going to the testing place, I shouldn’t have gone to be tested.” She has rapid antigen tests, and will use them in the next few days. Wednesday is when we planned to drive to PEI, and she should be coming up positive on a RA test by then if she is infected.

I understand that Omicron and the current surge have created problems. But this is to say the least an incredibly discouraging thing. Not just because of the whole “Covid ruins Christmas for my family” thing. But because trying to do the right thing has potentially caused the problem. I understand that it’s cold outside (-2 C), but they really should have made people line up outside and at a distance. That they packed an indoor environment of people with a well above average chance of having been infected at this point in the pandemic isn’t just pants on head stupid, it’s putting the pants on the head and then setting the pants on fire.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Last time I was in the thread I asked if there were any studies on the rate and severity of side effects for booster shots and didn't receive any. So I did a bit of half-assed googlery and came across a study (didn't save the link and can't find it again with the same half-ass effort, so have instead https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7039e4.htm) saying that they're comparable to dose two. That was enough to get me to ask about appointments at my local pharmacy the next time I went to pick up meds. The tech's response was to tell me to book one online... although they do tend to take walkins between 2 and 3... although... *leans away to talk to pharmacist for 10 seconds* she'll take you right now, actually. So I took care of that.

My side effects experience was roughly comparable. I was a little bit less shivery/spasmy/sweaty but it lasted like 30% longer, which fuckin' sucked. I really hope this doesn't turn into a once-every-six-months for the foreseeable future dealio because boy howdy it ain't fun.

Now I need to start coming up with quips about MMM or Moderna cubed or whatever.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    So I went to Walgreens to get my booster and they asked for my health insurance, which I heard somewhere was actually illegal for them to do? Why are they doing this, are they gathering information to calculate premiums or something?

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    So I went to Walgreens to get my booster and they asked for my health insurance, which I heard somewhere was actually illegal for them to do? Why are they doing this, are they gathering information to calculate premiums or something?

That's normal. They charge your insurance company if you have insurance. If you don't then you still get the shot free afaik.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    They want your insurance, if you have any, so they can bill the insurance. But if you don't, they'll give it to you anyway and the government will pick up the tab. You, personally, are not ever supposed to be on the hook.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    My breathing is really bad right now and it's scaring me. It's wild because yesterday I was like 100 times better than any of the previous days so I figured I was getting better but today has been absolutely awful. I had to use my albuterol inhaler which gave me no relief. I just finished my nebulizer which so far I still feel shortness of breath. There are zero places for me to take a COVID test locally today or tomorrow (I want a PCR... I've taken 2 rapid and both have been negative). Monday the line opens up at the hospital at 9am... Cost of the PCR is $100.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Washington's booster appointment website is such a freaking trash fire. Links on the page you're supposed to make a legally-binding confirmation that you read them can't even be right-clicked on, and clicking on them makes you start from scratch.

• Options
    My breathing is really bad right now and it's scaring me. It's wild because yesterday I was like 100 times better than any of the previous days so I figured I was getting better but today has been absolutely awful. I had to use my albuterol inhaler which gave me no relief. I just finished my nebulizer which so far I still feel shortness of breath. There are zero places for me to take a COVID test locally today or tomorrow (I want a PCR... I've taken 2 rapid and both have been negative). Monday the line opens up at the hospital at 9am... Cost of the PCR is $100.

My O2 is 98 and my PFT (lung test) is the best it's ever been. I have almost no runny nose now (very unproductive when blowing my nose)... I'm just constantly feeling short of breath. It's so bizarre.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

My O2 is 98 and my PFT (lung test) is the best it's ever been. I have almost no runny nose now (very unproductive when blowing my nose)... I'm just constantly feeling short of breath. It's so bizarre.

Could it be a stress response? Maybe try some calming techniques and see if that helps?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Has there been any update in building codes to mandate better ventilation? I'm quite sure this won't be the last time a highly infectious respiratory virus gets hold of us.

We saw building code improvements come out of the 1918 flu epidemic; is it too much to ask for similar now?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Has there been any update in building codes to mandate better ventilation? I'm quite sure this won't be the last time a highly infectious respiratory virus gets hold of us.

We saw building code improvements come out of the 1918 flu epidemic; is it too much to ask for similar now?

Yes.

Turns out when we spend 40 years with half our government telling us that government sucks and can't do anything...we have generations of folks who believe government sucks and can't do anything.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Could it be a stress response? Maybe try some calming techniques and see if that helps?

I'm not entirely sure. Willing to try it out though. None of the kids are home today so my wife and I finally got around to cleaning the house. It hasn't been exactly stressful at all.

This discussion has been closed.