As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Tunic Spoiler for something it sounds like you know already.
    Items that appear on the bottom right of the LB screen are upgrades, which you use at save points by pressing LB.
    Son of a....

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Tunic Spoiler for something it sounds like you know already.
    Items that appear on the bottom right of the LB screen are upgrades, which you use at save points by pressing LB.
    Son of a....

Fffffff......!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Read your instruction booklets, people. It saves little fox lives.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Tunic, but the combat is a lot harder than I had expected. I've got similar gear to @shoeboxjeddy but an just getting owned by
    the red jewel guardian, I think it's called siege engine
    I was getting so close then the outage killed my momentum.

The combat is hard because it's bad. Over and over again I knew what I wanted/needed to go (sometimes because I'd read a guide) and then the next hour or so was spent fighting the controls to make that happen.

camo_sig2.png
    Read your instruction booklets, people. It saves little fox lives.
    Man, I thought I just had to have them in my inventory to work.

I fired up on cloud on my phone, opened the booklet and it was on the exact page. I guess I just hadnt noticed the right side when I had looked at it the first time. I've been pretty good about figuring out things from the booklet, guess I'm gonna have to give the whole thing another once over... Or two.
    Images.
    zl3tohwkq7kx.png
    yq78n847a4xm.png

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The store has an "Achievement Hunter Sale" right now. One would assume this means games with easy, short achievements for people to fatten their scores with.

The sale includes several games with multiple multiplayer and long-grind achievement lists though... including Monster Hunter and For Honor. o_o

On that subject, while this achievement was incredibly trolly for completionists and the outcome wasn't surprising... (think calendar man in batman or the Halo days achievements, but worse):

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

The tongue-in-cheek response to people unlocking it was amusing at least:

achievements!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    That reminded me about Go Outside. Looks like I've got 2 more months before I can get that legit.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I forgot about Calander Man! Got it legit, but what a pain.

Don't do that, devs!

The worst offender for calendar-based achievements are still Microsoft Casual Game Series games... you need to reach a gold rank in daily challenges for 8 months, which basically requires you to do the majority of the daily challenges each day of the month. then there's the "play a challenge once every day of the month" achievement and more. Time-based achievements are almost as annoying as competitive multiplayer achievements that usually devolve into most of their completions being the product of collaboration. >_>

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That reminded me about Go Outside. Looks like I've got 2 more months before I can get that legit.
    Oh, looks like I could go get it right now.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    I'm having a weird issue with my new LG c2 and the series x. Sometimes when I turn on the Xbox, instead of the full screen I'd expect, I get a weird squished image. At the same point I also don't have sound at all. Usually restarting fixes the issue, but not always. And the last time I messed with the sound input to get the sound back. I have it plugged into HDMI 3 which isn't the eARC one. I had no issues with my C9 so this is just odd. Any ideas?

Just to add to this even though I guess no one knows. When this happens, if I go to video options on the Series X, it thinks the tv is only capable of 640x480 in the options. No other resolutions show up. I changed an option on the tv and everything went back to normal, but that may have just been because I caused the tv to redo the handshake between itself and the xbox. Haven't found any real solutions online unfortunately.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The store has an "Achievement Hunter Sale" right now. One would assume this means games with easy, short achievements for people to fatten their scores with.

The sale includes several games with multiple multiplayer and long-grind achievement lists though... including Monster Hunter and For Honor. o_o

On that subject, while this achievement was incredibly trolly for completionists and the outcome wasn't surprising... (think calendar man in batman or the Halo days achievements, but worse):

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

I didn't even realize that Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe was on console lol, surprised Microsoft let them get away with that for an achievement, it rules

Crippl3 wrote: »

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

I didn't even realize that Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe was on console lol, surprised Microsoft let them get away with that for an achievement, it rules

nah, achievement standards are very, very lax. have been for a long time really. there are entire companies who owe their existence and sales to pushing out as many easy to 1000/1000 in 5-10 minutes games as possible.

I only vaguely remember one case of pushback, and was after one went so far as to add dlc/updates that padded their achievement list multiple times without actually adding anything substantial to the game or w/e. but that was a year (or more ago...don't recall exactly due to lockdown time distortion.

but achievements like this are cute on Steam, I guess. not so much for the xbox system.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When I worked QA, other than requiring 1000 at launch* and all of them achieveable (also at launch), MS never really cared. Maybe something about language used or similar. But, yeah. Was never too stringent.

*Early games could release with less than 1000 so long as the differencr was made up with future DLC. But, some games failed to deliver so they changed it.

The only one I can think of was a LOTR RTS that only shipped with 735 points. And no DLC because nobody bought the game.

As evidenced by letting online servers shut down thus cutting off achievements, or in some cases games not even being fixed (Fight Night Champions) to even make them unlockable pretty much sgows they still don't have much of a stake in that part of it. We'll continue to be at the mercy of the whums of developers for the forseeable future.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

nah, achievement standards are very, very lax. have been for a long time really. there are entire companies who owe their existence and sales to pushing out as many easy to 1000/1000 in 5-10 minutes games as possible.

I only vaguely remember one case of pushback, and was after one went so far as to add dlc/updates that padded their achievement list multiple times without actually adding anything substantial to the game or w/e. but that was a year (or more ago...don't recall exactly due to lockdown time distortion.

but achievements like this are cute on Steam, I guess. not so much for the xbox system.

What's the difference between Steam achievements and xbox achievements?

edited May 2022
    urahonky wrote: »

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

Xbox and PlayStation give you points or trophies. Steam gives you nothing more than having unlocked it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Steam has no regulations on achievements AFAIK, you can have as few or as many as you want and you can make them whatever you want.(In fact, there are games with intentionally unobtainable achievements)

Which sounds like and indy dev thing. The lists of Steam vs Xbox/PS are generally the same things.

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

Xbox and PlayStation give you points or trophies. Steam gives you nothing more than having unlocked it.

So just the "out of a total of" is missing from Steam? You can view how many achievements any given person has unlocked on Steam.

edited May 2022

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

So just the "out of a total of" is missing from Steam? You can view how many achievements any given person has unlocked on Steam.

As was mentioned before, achievements and trophies have a set value per game (starting at 1000), and Steam achievements didn't... as in, there are Steam games with achievement lists with well over 5,000 achievements... and some games do have intentionally unobtainable ones*.

but, because a lot of games are now Console+PC the lists tend to be synced up now. Also Steam has SAM (Steam Achievement Manager), a third party app which easily allows people to unlock achievements. It is also against the TOS to use it. While there are ways to do that kind of thing on console, there are natural barriers to cheating that aren't present on PC.

edit: *The Stanley Parabable on PC is one such game! Though I think there's a way to get it w/o cheating it's just... not known or something. :P

There are console games that came out of the box with unobtainable achievements due to bugs, and many times they get fixed. no game on console has dropped with an achievement that you simply can't get

tastydonuts on
    edited May 2022
    tastydonuts on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yep. I was kinda thinking all the talk about EA FC was posturing during negotiations, but apparently not. Kinda glad, honestly. I’m not gonna miss having the word FIFA on the EA game box, and I’ll get some entertainment out seeing some of the things FIFA comes up with. There’s definitely a disaster or two coming up from FIFA in the future.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    New metroidvania just dropped.
    Eiyuden chronicle rising. Its fun so far. Only have 2 party members so far but the combat is fun and it seems bosses are repeatable and add new attacks when you fight them again

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Eiyuden chronicle rising. Its fun so far. Only have 2 party members so far but the combat is fun and it seems bosses are repeatable and add new attacks when you fight them again

Do not tempt me lightly.

Switchwatch didn't use this term once, Nintendo Life said it had "minor metroidvania-esque mechanics"

I'm not here for the Richter playthrough, it's Alucard or nothing.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Do not tempt me lightly.

Switchwatch didn't use this term once, Nintendo Life said it had "minor metroidvania-esque mechanics"

I'm not here for the Richter playthrough, it's Alucard or nothing.

So far
    Your party members unlock progression
    You can upgrade your gear to get mobility and attack bonuses one is a double jump and its described as mandatory
    Im pretty sure the next party member will essentially be missiles

It might be light but its definitely there.

Main character design has also implied future party members include a samurai dude

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

So no meaningful difference then yea?

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

They're on Steam. You'll need to decide for yourself if that's a positive or a negative.

Also, they're even less regulated and codified, and substantially easier to cheat at. Again, you decide. :lol:

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

g8m0af0x3kb6.png

achievements!

So no meaningful difference then yea?

It's up to you what you value. I know folks here who like to talk about how many Platinum Trophies they have on PS, or how I have like 130K gamerscore with Xbox. Xbox and PS regulated their achievements to at least some degree, which is why it's 1 Platinum / 1000GS total per game. Steam doesn't do anything to regulate achievements.

So, assuming nobody is boosting, you can compare your trophies or GS to others. In steam, I could do this on a per game basis but couldn't do this account wide.

If you don't care about achievements, or at least don't care about the dick wagging contest, then no meaningful difference.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I love Achievements, but as a novelty. I like seeing it pop up when I do something unexpected, or if I see one that I think I can do in a game I love, I like to challenge myself to get it sometimes.

But I don't obsess over them, and don't think I've ever gotten them all in a single game.

And I'm fine with that. I feel more like what I have is my story; if I got them all in every game I played, then my story would be he same as everyone else's, and that doesn't appeal to me.

But it's also cool for those who have the fortitude to actually get them all, too. It's very much a "you do you" thing in my eyes.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    To the surprise of no one at all, Bethesda announced Starfield and Redfall (huh wha?) are delayed to 2023.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I mean it kind of is a surprise, mainline Bethesda studios games don’t often get delayed. Were fallout 4/Skyrim/fallout 3/oblivion delayed?

But I think it’s just increasingly part of game development now, it’s too big and complex, even well managed projects have delays almost as standard now. It’s more rare for projects to have no delays these days.

Prohass on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Redfall is Arkane's vampire-themed Left 4 Dead with Fortnite's art style.

reVerse on
    Prohass wrote: »
    I mean it kind of is a surprise, mainline Bethesda studios games don’t often get delayed. Were fallout 4/Skyrim/fallout 3/oblivion delayed?

But I think it’s just increasingly part of game development now, it’s too big and complex, even well managed projects have delays almost as standard now. It’s more rare for projects to have no delays these days.

Skyrim itself was not delayed. But excluding "mainline" games is a little arbitrary and maybe unfair considering just how much of Bethesda's overall library it includes; even if we did, Doom Eternal was delayed (from late 2019 to early 2020).

I don't think Bethesda has a reputation for not delaying games. Likewise, I'm not even upset, considering the state in which so many of Bethesda's premiere titles launch in; delay is the least of their problems.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    What I’m saying is Bethesda studios itself, which is still its own thing as a studio internally, doesn’t really have a reputation for delays beyond what they actually officially announce. Yeah I’m sure under the umbrella of Bethesda there’s been lots, but those are a diverse range of studios, with varying rates of delays and reputations depending on the studio. Plus if we’re just including the covid years pretty much every single game company has seen delays, so it’s only really unsurprising in that context

But honestly this still surprised me because every time the core studio has announced a date it’s usually been released on that date

Prohass on
    reVerse wrote: »
    Redfall is Arkane's vampire-themed Left 4 Dead with Fortnite's art style.

I'm so fucking down for this. You have no idea.

Prohass wrote: »
    But honestly this still surprised me because every time the core studio has announced a date it’s usually been released on that date

And then everybody wonders why they didn't delay it.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I wonder if this is the Microsoft influence leaking through, as Bethesda has had zero qualms with releasing a buggy as shit game in the past.

Still, this makes Microsoft's 2022 extremely anemic.

Also, so far the only studio acquisition to release an exclusive for them (besides Playground Games, who was doing that before being bought) is Ninja Theory with Bleeding Edge, Obsidian with Grounded (still in EA) and inXile with a Wastelands Remaster.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Well... I guess my XSX is going to have to wait a little longer before it gets turned on.

Luckily there were already more games than I had time to play them this fall.

So now one of the games I was going to put on the backburner for Starfield will get go be played during that period instead.

edited May 2022
    Well... I guess my XSX is going to have to wait a little longer before it gets turned on.

So now one of the games I was going to put on the backburner for Starfield will get go be played during that period instead.

Getting Ray Narvaez Jr. vibes here, albeit for Xbox instead of Playstation. :lol:

On a completely different note, because the Flight Sim thread is kind of...dead at the moment, I'm posting this here as a Xbox Series/PC compatible flight yoke option. Basically, yokes are pretty much only used for civilian flight simulation (of which there's only one on Xbox Series consoles, and zero on any other console as far as I know), but at least it is PC compatible...

It's not cheap either. Still, if I wasn't already using a Logitech X56 (formerly Madcatz formerly Saitek), considering how much MSFS I play it'd be a no brainer even on PC.

turtle-beach-velocity-one-flight-2.jpg

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »

Getting Ray Narvaez Jr. vibes here, albeit for Xbox instead of Playstation. :lol:

I dunno what that means haha.

Although I think I may actually grab Saints Row on XSX now that I think about it. A good excuse to use the system and i really prefer the Xbox controller... especially for anything that requires aiming.

That's probably how ill do my split between them. For anything thats not exclusive if its first person or involves regular aiming ill go for Xbox.

The worst part about the DS5 is that I can't use my Xbox controller and PS any more.