Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The Microsoft Entertainment System. The "MES" if you will.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Well they did make the MSX in Japan, that’s not too far off from that.

And oh my, I just realized that system was mainly the Microsoft X. MS seems to be obsessed with the letter X.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm aware of the directX connection, it's just... Xbox is a inherently edgy name and the original marketing for the system leaned into that

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Microsoft being bad at names is how we got the glorious name Xbox which I'm honestly shocked has stuck to this day, it feels dated now in the post-tony hawk, edgy marketing world.

It wasn’t for extreme reasons, so Tony Hawk and edginess doesn’t apply. As stated in the history of Xbox videos posted earlier this year, they wanted to make a Direct X box, they couldn’t come up with a better name and so that stuck around until eventually they just dropped the Direct part and called it the Xbox. More or less, they were actually less original than Sony was with keeping the PlayStation name they came up with for the Nintendo CD-ROM system. Naming it after their gaming API is a pretty dorky thing to do (which I was all for really).

Yeah, it's been well known for several years. It seems less strange (?) if you're old enough to remember how massively important all the DirectX APIs--Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectSound, etc.--were as the predominant unified standard alongside OpenGL (which many developers used, but still "borrowed" Direct3D functionality as 3D gaming matured), it's less surprising, but not all of us were playing x86 games in the mid-1990s. With that context, it's rather on the nose.

Really, even "Nintendo Entertainment System" (which I like for how direct and to the point it is) isn't solely for functionality, and they moved away with the Gamecube (which I think is very useful in a way because...it is, when the Xbox ceased to be a giant 'X', and the Switch isn't a switch). And Nintendo moved towards much more artistic license going forward from that.

ayywhcmpilg9.png

(I prefer 'Gamecube' myself, kind of wish they went with something prism related. Could've been neat.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Really, even "Nintendo Entertainment System" (which I like for how direct and to the point it is) isn't solely for functionality, and they moved away with the Gamecube (which I think is very useful in a way because...it is, when the Xbox ceased to be a giant 'X', and the Switch isn't a switch). And Nintendo moved towards much more artistic license going forward from that.

It was until the Lite. It Switches between portable and TV!

The Lite doesn't Switch at all. False advertising!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And the Xbox One was named because it was to be your "all in one" entertainment system for tv, movies, music... oh yeah and maybe games.

Though I guess with their hilariously fast and hard pivot away from that, they could still justify the name. "No, it just does the one thing now. Games.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

It was until the Lite. It Switches between portable and TV!

The Lite doesn't Switch at all. False advertising!

Ben Mendelsohn, help me out here, will ya'?

star-wars-rogue-one.gif

• Options
    edited September 2022
    And the Xbox One was named because it was to be your "all in one" entertainment system for tv, movies, music... oh yeah and maybe games.

Though I guess with their hilariously fast and hard pivot away from that, they could still justify the name. "No, it just does the one thing now. Games.".

Speaking of pivots, it's funny how Sony did well with the PS3's "it just does everything" advertising that emphasised its media capabilities (still very strong even now), yet changed tack with the PS4 to "for the players", really leaning hard into it being a games machine (that we guess does other stuff too, but GAMES!). It felt like Microsoft were chasing the PS3's tail with the Xbox One's "all in one" effort that backfired so spectacularly right from the off with that extraordinarily ill-judged "TV! TV! TV!" reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Sony's about-face ("everything" to "99% games") seemed weirdly well-timed and went over well. MS' marketing department seemed left in the dust, attempting to do what Sony had the previous generation - and Sony eventually (if only just) managed to overtake the Xbox 360 with it, so it was definitely part of a successful strategy for them.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    At the time anti-DRM sentiment was at an all time high so people were very poised to hate any kinda of pushing for worse DRM. Ironically we kinda ended up back there with both consoles judging by how they behave when you try to play digital games offline these days

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    At the time anti-DRM sentiment was at an all time low so people were very poised to hate any kinda of pushing for worse DRM. Ironically we kinda ended up back there with both consoles judging by how they behave when you try to play digital games offline these days

Given the big push with Gamepass and now PS Plus's version, where you only have the game for as long as the subscription lasts, I'm not opposed to these games needing to "phone home" every now and then. I remember the old days of computing where all you had to do to keep using a Winzip trial was turn back the PC clock for a bit.

Still, MS wanted to have your fully paid and bought games check in, Every 24 fucking hours. What kind of stupid bullshit is that?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The anti-DRM issue was definitely a far bigger one for the Xbox One, such that Sony famously lampooned it with their "how to lend a friend a PS4 game" video, and although MS reversed hard on that issue, the damage was already done.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Microsoft being bad at names is how we got the glorious name Xbox which I'm honestly shocked has stuck to this day, it feels dated now in the post-tony hawk, edgy marketing world.

It wasn’t for extreme reasons, so Tony Hawk and edginess doesn’t apply. As stated in the history of Xbox videos posted earlier this year, they wanted to make a Direct X box, they couldn’t come up with a better name and so that stuck around until eventually they just dropped the Direct part and called it the Xbox. More or less, they were actually less original than Sony was with keeping the PlayStation name they came up with for the Nintendo CD-ROM system. Naming it after their gaming API is a pretty dorky thing to do (which I was all for really).

Yeah, it's been well known for several years. It seems less strange (?) if you're old enough to remember how massively important all the DirectX APIs--Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectSound, etc.--were as the predominant unified standard alongside OpenGL (which many developers used, but still "borrowed" Direct3D functionality as 3D gaming matured), it's less surprising, but not all of us were playing x86 games in the mid-1990s. With that context, it's rather on the nose.

ayywhcmpilg9.png

(I prefer 'Gamecube' myself, kind of wish they went with something prism related. Could've been neat.)

Speaking of Gamecube and Xbox, I just now realized that two systems that launched very close to each other both were named after rectangular shapes. Just an odd coincidence - box vs cube. While Sony has some type of station.

I yearn for the days of the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast though - when names were more original and less about the functionality. Like Nintendo at least doesn’t carry on the same type of name for more than two generations (NES and SNES, Gameboy and GBA - GBC Doesn’t count since it was mainly just a color Gameboy in form factor and in practical use - DS and 3DS; Wii and Wii U. Only the Gamecube and Switch don’t follow those conventions, so far at least. While Sony and Microsoft must keep their original name front and center. I mean the name doesn’t truly mean a great deal if t the games are good, but I can’t be the only one that misses the days of Jaguar and Lynx and such. Too many systems are just named for what they are (entertainment system, game cube, dual screen Switch even the Turbo Grafx was stating that it put out great graphics). I don’t think we’ll have days like that again though since SEGA isn’t coming back into the market and no one else wants to risk breaking into the video game industry at this point in time.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Dreamcast is absolutely up there as one of the best console names. WonderSwan too.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There's a god damned Klonoa game on Xbox? Jesus Fucking Christ!
    Not paying $28 for it, yet.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Dreamcast is absolutely up there as one of the best console names. WonderSwan too.

And a pretty dang good console (Only Sega system I ever owned). I should find some pretentious youtube postmortem to watch about why it failed.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dreamcast is extremely nostalgic for me, but part of what made it so nostalgic is I got to play literally every single game for free thanks to Bleem. Like I watched most anime from the early 2000s on burned discs, on a Dreamcast, and that blew my mind back then. It helped I had degenerate weeb friends with even more degenerate older brothers who basically had things setup this way immediately. It was truly the wild west for a year or two there, like emulators were just starting to pop off and modded Xboxes started to replace the spot that "hacked" dreamcasts occupied

Good times

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    the Dreamcast ruled
    but the controller was total ass

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2022

And a pretty dang good console (Only Sega system I ever owned). I should find some pretentious youtube postmortem to watch about why it failed.

Electronic Arts refused to release sports titles on it.

There. Time saved.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    I remember thinking the triggers felt great but there wasn't too many FPS so, I remember it not being the best for Marvel Vs Capcom but that was how I first experienced those games

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The thing with the PS3 is that it was Sony going from far and above the #1 market leader, to coming in #3 for the vast majority of the generation (I think they eked out #2 by the end, but it was still close) so them doing a complete about face on how they marketed the PS4 makes sense, especially given that Xbox's later press conferences were loaded with shit like TV and Kinect.

Also scuttlebutt was that Sony was going to do the DRM thing too, but saw Microsoft recieving a lot of guff over it when it was just rumored for the new Xbox, so they dropped it like a hot potato.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I can kick the crap out of anyone in MvC2 with a Dreamcast controller, it just clicked in a way no other controller ever did, especially for a fighter. The dpad and the switch of the four button layout for the game, *chefs kiss*

I had the Saturn 3D controller you got with Nights that the Dreamcast controller was based off of but not too many games used it.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's some info on Goldeneye Xbox now. Here's what I know, not even sure it's all in the link.
    • Based on the n64 version, not the 360 remaster. Big boo.
    • 4k, "consistent" refresh (probably 30 or 20, whatever the n64 cap was.)
    • Dual-stick controls.
    • No online multiplayer.
    • "Free" with Rare Replay ownership or Gamepass.
    • Rare devs also helped out with the NSO release.

At this point the Xbox version also sounds like an n64 emulator. Which would explain why online isn't there because it's not super trivial thing to put in an emulator.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022

ayywhcmpilg9.png

ayywhcmpilg9.png

Speaking of Gamecube and Xbox, I just now realized that two systems that launched very close to each other both were named after rectangular shapes. Just an odd coincidence - box vs cube. While Sony has some type of station.

I yearn for the days of the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast though - when names were more original and less about the functionality. Like Nintendo at least doesn’t carry on the same type of name for more than two generations (NES and SNES, Gameboy and GBA - GBC Doesn’t count since it was mainly just a color Gameboy in form factor and in practical use - DS and 3DS; Wii and Wii U. Only the Gamecube and Switch don’t follow those conventions, so far at least. While Sony and Microsoft must keep their original name front and center. I mean the name doesn’t truly mean a great deal if t the games are good, but I can’t be the only one that misses the days of Jaguar and Lynx and such. Too many systems are just named for what they are (entertainment system, game cube, dual screen Switch even the Turbo Grafx was stating that it put out great graphics). I don’t think we’ll have days like that again though since SEGA isn’t coming back into the market and no one else wants to risk breaking into the video game industry at this point in time.

Whole lotta Nintendo 64 erasure up in here while we're talkin' 'bout GoldenEye...
    I'd have been down with "UItra Nintendo Entertainment System", but I'm guessing that wouldn't fly any better than "Ultra 64" did.

Also:

*does a little dance*

♫ I'm gonna get free GoldenEye, I'm gonna get free GoldenEye, and it's gonna be mine to keeeeeeep... ♫
    ♫ As long as I have an online connection despite no online, probablyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy~ ♫

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I'd have been down with "UItra Nintendo Entertainment System", but I'm guessing that wouldn't fly any better than "Ultra 64" did.

Also:

*does a little dance*

♫ I'm gonna get free GoldenEye, I'm gonna get free GoldenEye, and it's gonna be mine to keeeeeeep... ♫
    ♫ As long as I have an online connection despite no online, probablyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy~ ♫

Whoa! Hey now! Do Tina Turner and Bono know that someone here is flawlessly reproducing their 1995 hit here in our humble thread? We don't want to get into any copyrighting trouble!

Also, today I learned that Tina Turner has had Swiss citizenship since 2013.

• Options
    There's some info on Goldeneye Xbox now. Here's what I know, not even sure it's all in the link.
    • Based on the n64 version, not the 360 remaster. Big boo.
    • 4k, "consistent" refresh (probably 30 or 20, whatever the n64 cap was.)
    • Dual-stick controls.
    • No online multiplayer.
    • "Free" with Rare Replay ownership or Gamepass.
    • Rare devs also helped out with the NSO release.

At this point the Xbox version also sounds like an n64 emulator. Which would explain why online isn't there because it's not super trivial thing to put in an emulator.

That looks sharper than I'd anticipated based on those screenshots. But wow, not going with the remaster, modestly upgraded as it was (it certainly wasn't in the realm of the Perfect Dark remaster), seems crazy. But as with no online multi, probably a concession to get Nintendo on board.

Free with Rare Replay ownership is awesome, though, especially as they gave that away as a Mixpot once (rip Mixer). I did notice the Rare Replay logo in the teaser but that's still very cool.

Now I just wonder when "soon" is.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Hmm, Rise of the Ronin looks interesting. Team Ninja...didn't Microsoft buy them? Strategy starts paying fruit I guess.

Oh, wait. They bought Ninja THEORY. Not Team Ninja.

Playstation exclusive. Bummer, but oh well.

Just more reason for folks, including Sony, to stop complaining about Microsoft buying things for exclusives. It's beyond pot and kettle.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Dreamcast is extremely nostalgic for me, but part of what made it so nostalgic is I got to play literally every single game for free thanks to Bleem. Like I watched most anime from the early 2000s on burned discs, on a Dreamcast, and that blew my mind back then. It helped I had degenerate weeb friends with even more degenerate older brothers who basically had things setup this way immediately. It was truly the wild west for a year or two there, like emulators were just starting to pop off and modded Xboxes started to replace the spot that "hacked" dreamcasts occupied

Good times

I know it's getting wildly off topic, but my time with the Dreamcast was just kind of a special, unique, and, dare I say, life changing experience. It was the first console I bought with my own money working part-time after school. First console I played online. First console where I messed with piracy, homebrew, and imports since the protections were a joke. It had so many weird games, with Jet Set Radio remaining a favorite of mine to this day. I used the web browser disc and routed AIM messages through IRC to keep in touch with friends who graduated before me and had gone off to college. And a high school friendship that was originally based entirely on being the only kids in school with a Dreamcast has endured to this day, and I was the best man at his wedding.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

And that does it! Came faster than expected.

Pretty firm "Game Pass" material for me personally though, as with Death Stranding.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I bought it on PlayStation but have been so busy I still haven’t gotten around to playing it, and will probably end up playing it when or if it comes to gamepass, as is my stupid pattern

• Options
    We'll have to wait until DF, but it's probably going to be a very similar experience on Series X as it was Playstation 5.

Maybe slightly longer load times, in return for a slightly higher resolution picture or framerate, which has become very common lately.

Though you'll have access to Quick Resume, which might change how you play the game? Or not. In "Rinse and repeat games" like Hades, the Quick Resume makes the game less insufferable, which I appreciate, though Hades is button-mashy to the point of really tiring my hands out. That's what happens when you get older.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh man I'm watching someone play Metal Hellsinger and I wish I was better at rhythm this game looks sick as fuck with a great soundtrack and I usually don't like metal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

And that does it! Came faster than expected.

Pretty firm "Game Pass" material for me personally though, as with Death Stranding.

Hopefully Microsoft announces their plans with it during TGS tomorrow.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh man I'm watching someone play Metal Hellsinger and I wish I was better at rhythm this game looks sick as fuck with a great soundtrack and I usually don't like metal.

I tried the demo and I actually was kind of disappointed; the music only comes in when you're doing well on the rhythm aspect, which okay, cool idea, but it's so bloody hard to stay on beat with metal when you can't hear most of it yet.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    https://youtu.be/1C_--rnNDYM

I’m in. Love the idea of Turnip Boy committing increasingly more serious crimes. Maybe we’ll have a Turnip Boy Goes to Jail at some point. And the follow-up adventure Turnip Boy is Proven Innocent as he beats the charges.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Turnip Boy Goes Before the Hague (2024)

EDIT: BTW, I was busy at work...doing work, but here's a link to the full ID@Xbox Presentation for anyone else who missed it. It'll be included in the next OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxVfkMguPk

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    If metal hellsinger is on gamepass I’ll try it again, but yeah rhythm games aren’t my thing and when I tried the demo I basically couldn’t get it and the less you get it the worse it feels to play

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    If metal hellsinger is on gamepass I’ll try it again, but yeah rhythm games aren’t my thing and when I tried the demo I basically couldn’t get it and the less you get it the worse it feels to play

You're in luck!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Is the music done by Serj Tankian?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Looks like someone else from 343 is leaving, David Berger, who was in charge of the new game engine used for Halo Infinite. I don't know the specifics if it's as big of a pain in the ass as Frostbite is for EA.

They also put out something in their monthly blog that they won't be doing microtransactions for MCC, which is something good right now.

lDTC8gK.png

And they started production on season 2 of that loser Halo show too. Ok, you can make a new thread now.