Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    There was no single player DLC and i don't think the servers are up anymore even if I wanted to do the multiplayer.

Turns out the pc codes on Amazon aren't for Steam though, so I ain't going to bother with that option.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Transferring 360 content to the E. And it seems to be really stable when it's online.

Part of me is now considering getting a WiFi router so I could connect both without needing to swap network cables.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Transferring 360 content to the E. And it seems to be really stable when it's online.

Part of me is now considering getting a WiFi router so I could connect both without needing to swap network cables.

I have avoided "plug anything in" for a number of years now, and I'll tell you, it's a delight. And any concerns I used to have about "oh noes my latencies" are just non-issues, honestly. (At least with the kinds of gaming I do; Warframe or Destiny or the like, shooters, RPGs, etc.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Another month where people keep buying Elden Ring.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I hope everyone got Overwatch for cheap considering it's about to be free to play...

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Never played a Far Cry before so I downloaded Far Cry 5 on Game Pass PC. Liking it overall so far except for what seems to be mandatory story where you cannot avoid getting captured once you reach certain resistance levels in an area. I want to just wander and do side quests and outposts and this seems like an abrupt way of forcing the plot on you. Also the plane controls are terrible.

• Options
    I hope everyone got Overwatch for cheap considering it's about to be free to play...

I think those are mostly people buying a SKU that includes access to the Overwatch 2 beta. A few people in my Destiny clan did that so they could play the beta together.

I’m not a fan of studios doing that, but it obviously worked for milking the hardcore players. It’s skeevy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Never played a Far Cry before so I downloaded Far Cry 5 on Game Pass PC. Liking it overall so far except for what seems to be mandatory story where you cannot avoid getting captured once you reach certain resistance levels in an area. I want to just wander and do side quests and outposts and this seems like an abrupt way of forcing the plot on you. Also the plane controls are terrible.

It’s the worst. They’re really obsessed about those first person cinematics, and like dudes it’s fine I’ll get to them eventually no need to rush me. It’s even more annoying is not know the capture is mandatory and hearing the NPC barks about it. “Hit him with a bliss bullet!” “The boss wants him alive!” “We only need to hit him once.” “One bliss bullet and we’ll capture him alive for the boss!” “Hit him with a bliss bullet!”

I love Far Cry games, but some of the people involved overestimate my enthusiasm for immediately engaging with the story bits.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

The best thing about Far Cry is once you played one, you have played them all! They're pretty fun that first time through.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    The reason why I found 6 a bit more tolerable is you had a character that talked, so when npcs were barking at you they would bark back, it makes it feel less like you’re a floating camera for baddies to monologue at unchallenged

It’s still mediocre but I found it much easier to get through the story in 6 compared to 5

Prohass on
  • Options
    I played crazy dude on the island one and uh, crazy president of small country one. (Which had a pretty funny alt ending.)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

The best thing about Far Cry is once you played one, you have played them all! They're pretty fun that first time through.

This is particularly true of the endings. There tends to be no 'golden ending' in the series but various degrees of bittersweet.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

It’s the worst. They’re really obsessed about those first person cinematics, and like dudes it’s fine I’ll get to them eventually no need to rush me. It’s even more annoying is not know the capture is mandatory and hearing the NPC barks about it. “Hit him with a bliss bullet!” “The boss wants him alive!” “We only need to hit him once.” “One bliss bullet and we’ll capture him alive for the boss!” “Hit him with a bliss bullet!”

I love Far Cry games, but some of the people involved overestimate my enthusiasm for immediately engaging with the story bits.

I was flying a plane when they “hit me” with bliss bullets… It was absurd.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

This is particularly true of the endings. There tends to be no 'golden ending' in the series but various degrees of bullshit.

Ftfy, and I say that as someone that loves the gameplay and still boots up 4, 6, and Blood Dragon on the regular.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I'm trying to download a few games on Game Pass for PC but they won't download. There's plenty of room, network is fine, and games already installed launch and play fine. I reset the Windows Store, and rebooted the PC. Any other suggestions other than wait it out?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Connecting to Autolog Servers

This is what you see when trying to start NFS The Run. Because nobody thought to create a failstate if the servers were unavailable. Say, due to being shutdown. The game will boot and run witgout being connected to XBL, so that means no date stamps. Which I'm not in the mood for at this time.

Also, there are an assload of cars locked behind MP/online gameplay. Way to go, EA. I don't actually need more reason to hate you.

So, WET it is.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

People in the comments mentioning if you buy 3 months code off CDKeys (yeah sketch) it comes out to 23 bucks a year, so about 70 for 3 years of GPU

Personally never been burned by cd key sellers but definitely not the most above board way of doing things

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I'm trying to download a few games on Game Pass for PC but they won't download. There's plenty of room, network is fine, and games already installed launch and play fine. I reset the Windows Store, and rebooted the PC. Any other suggestions other than wait it out?

Game Pass PC is kinda a mess. Its been a while but I've had things get so bad on two different PC that I've had to do Windows reset to fix things. The problem is with the WindowsApps folder. It's hosed a bunch of people.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePassPC/comments/io1ur4/heres_how_to_troubleshoot_if_you_have_problems/
    The easiest (but not long term) solution I've found is to start installing games on a secondary drive. It creates a new WindowsApps folder and buys you time until that one gets corrupt too.

You might want to look around and see if there's any better fixes that have come up in recent months.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

I feel like I talk about PC Game Pass troubleshooting enough everyone who'd ever need to do would see them, but I guess not. Maybe some things that will help:

1) Make sure Windows 10 (or 11, for that matter) is completely updated past the most recent service packs. This is pretty much nonoptional. If you're encountering other issues with in Windows, this is likely just anther symptom of problems underneath.

2) There are two (technically 3) ways to install Xbox games on PC (of which, all PC Game Pass games belong to this framework). I'm assuming you're not trying both of them, otherwise this advice isn't helpful. I'm not sure if you're installing it through the store (which sends a command to the Xbox App), or the Xbox App directly. Try one or the other.

3) And potentially, I should've included this one first: keep in mind that months ago, Windows update allowed you to select the installation directory (however, you may or may not be able to do so in a critical directory, like Program Files (x86), etc.) Also, many developers chose not to bother using this feature, and leave it to the Xbox App. This will cause a rather specific kind of error wherein the game will not install at all--not install and fail to run, or install and CTD, etc. Check your folder options under "Game Install Options" under "Settings" in the Xbox App (not Windows Settings, mind you). What does it say there? You may want to try setting up a dedicated folder for installations, or disable that entirely and rely on Windows' own cryptic folder options.

Game Pass PC is kinda a mess. Its been a while but I've had things get so bad on two different PC that I've had to do Windows reset to fix things. The problem is with the WindowsApps folder. It's hosed a bunch of people.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePassPC/comments/io1ur4/heres_how_to_troubleshoot_if_you_have_problems/
    The easiest (but not long term) solution I've found is to start installing games on a secondary drive. It creates a new WindowsApps folder and buys you time until that one gets corrupt too.

You might want to look around and see if there's any better fixes that have come up in recent months.

This is related to that third point, and may potentially help you out. I wish there was this much information on the internet every time Steam refused to install a game ten years ago, but at least there is now.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    People in the comments mentioning if you buy 3 months code off CDKeys (yeah sketch) it comes out to 23 bucks a year, so about 70 for 3 years of GPU

Personally never been burned by cd key sellers but definitely not the most above board way of doing things

So I went ahead and loaded up on one "year" of Xbox Live Gold, translated into Game Pass--as mentioned in the past, I've used CDKeys in the past.

It definitely works, even if it's an extremely roundabout way of doing things. Personally, I'm going to hate seeing four separate, cryptically-named PayPal transactions show up on my Quicken data imports ("What the fuck was I buying on Paypal for $5.79 a pop? A burger?"), but less than $6 US for a month and a half of Game Pass Ultimate was too good to pass up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Been playing some Anvil: Vaultbreakers off of Gamepass. It's a GaaS co-op top down shooter with powers. Haven't played online yet but the moment to moment gameplay is pretty fun. The progression system is weird though, the season pass is real slow to earn and I'm not sure how much progress you keep if you don't successfully complete a run (runs are longer than you'd expect). It's early access so hopefully they tighten up some of that

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I had a mini heart attack. My XSX said I need to restart, so I restarted and nothing showed up. Like I logged in and nothing was loaded. Still showed 88% full storage, but no games, no apps, nothing loaded. Restarted again, and thankfully everything came back.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I had a mini heart attack. My XSX said I need to restart, so I restarted and nothing showed up. Like I logged in and nothing was loaded. Still showed 88% full storage, but no games, no apps, nothing loaded. Restarted again, and thankfully everything came back.

As with Xbox One, it's not uncommon for an Xbox Series after restarting to not actually show your content. So your guide bar is blank, your shortcuts are missing, etc. 99% of the time, this goes away (and very quickly)--but it can hang, which sounds like what you ran into here.

It's hardly ideal, but it's better than that download bug on PS5 that would force a user reset in the early months after launch.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

(pixelflare is a marketing artist for 343)

• Options
    I'm about 3/4 through WET. At least finished nine of twelve chapters. Very stylish, lots of fun elements, and imprecise controls. Seems like a game that could be both better and worse using KBaM.

Playing it on the hardest available difficulty and there is an assload of restarts. Various arenas in the levels with near infinite respawn enemies makes it feel more like luck than skill. You're supposed to do lots of accrobatic stunts to increase the multiplier but hyper-accurate enemies makes half the stunts foolish to attempt.

Aiming with the controller is very clunky and I don't feel like a badass for clearing out rooms. It mostly feels like a chore as the restarts mount up and the last checkpoint is far enough away to force you through more jump puzzles or mini-fights that slice off bits of health along the way.

The camera isn't especially friendly and it's all too easy to jump or slide into a corner whilst getting chewed up by gunfire.

Not sure if I'd replay it on the locked hardest difficulty or exactly how mamy of the remaining achievements I'd go for. It'll probably end up as a 50%+1 game.

Hard to reccomend it. It isn't BC (music licenses) nor is it a digital download. Possibly only for those really into the grindhouse aesthetic or anybody into shooter how don't really care what difficulty to play on.

Next up will be Sleeping Dogs (360). I've got a stable XBL connection and I aim to take advantage of it.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I really really liked WET, but unless you're permanently abusing the fuck out of slow motion, you're gonna restart all the time and it ain't great. (I also didn't play it on hard, because... That is not why I'm here.)

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man are festival challenges still dinky in forza? I’ve got the exact car necessary and it won’t unlock the challenge, I thought they would’ve fixed this stuff by now

Also you should be able to click on the challenge and it will take you to the exact car needed, still can’t do that

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The balls on the devs of that game to make a sexy female led action game called WET in all caps

The mid 2000s were a wild time

• Options
    The balls on the devs of that game to make a sexy female led action game called WET in all caps

Remember Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Remember Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

Indeed, the successor to the only sightly less beautifully subtitled Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando.

(How sad I was when I found out those games were just called Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3 in the UK, a nation that practically made an art form of the double entendre, especially ones like the Ratchet games used.)

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Had to knock down the difficulty to finish the final Genki MOM activity. By that point I was just wanting the side stuff to just be over, so meh. Don't know if it was the game or the emulation for the game, but it would freeze up if I tried to jump away on first boot. I'd have to exit to dash and then quit the game to get it to run. I just started booting to Start Menu, quitting, and then restarting. Not sure if it was the game or not, but it wasn't a favourable thing

I find a lot of older games, especially those with an online component, may bug out when you resume using the quick resume feature. In every case force closing the game and restarting has fixed the issues.

Not really quick resume, though. The process is:

Boot the X1 > once connected to XBL, boot SR4 > press Start > load recent save > press button to jump > let go of button to jump > lockup

After that happening three or four times I just stopped at 'boot SR4' and would then exit to dash > quit game > and then restart the game again and it wouldn't lock up trying to jump away.

The only other lockups I got were grinding mech suit kills. Thankfully the game would autosave after every activity instance so I never really loat much progress.

I suspect that when you "shut down" your xbox you're just putting into rest mode, which means it's using quick resume to restart your game. If you boot up your xbox and can select the "quit game" option from the console, then this is it.

• Options
    Nope. It's not set for quick resume.

• Options
    Just bought a replacement 360 off of ebay for $55. Just went with an Arcade unit with no accessories or cables since I have those already. Briefly toyed with the idea of getting a Gears of War 3 limited edition console, but this way I can still use the 120gig HD I already have.

• Options
    It's not the most interesting ever, but "Insignia", the unofficial Xbox Live 1.0 server system for original Xbox consoles, has made some interesting headway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmvDgNAvdWM

Very happy to see Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate online up and running on that. Halo 2 is still unavailable, apparently due to some additional server functionality that hasn't been implemented yet.

• Options
    Story for WET is done. All that's left is to mop up some stragglers but I'm going to shelve it for now. On to Pooped Pooches.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Finished Far Cry 5, I hated the ending. But the core gameplay is still entertaining enough for me to play around in the world post game. If this wasn't on game pass I probably would never try out this series, and it made me more likely to actually buy other titles if there's a sale.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Finished Far Cry 5, I hated the ending. But the core gameplay is still entertaining enough for me to play around in the world post game. If this wasn't on game pass I probably would never try out this series, and it made me more likely to actually buy other titles if there's a sale.

There's actually a huge Summer sale going on right now, sounds like you should take a look.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I personally recommend Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon if you have an appreciation for 80s action movies. It's pretty short, so it's over before the parody/homage can outlive its welcome. You might find the PS3 era gameplay a little dated, but if you still enjoy it, FC3 is good too.

• Options
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I like what I've played of 6 so far, only got the base version myself though in an earlier Xbox sale.

I was toying with getting it on PC - it runs really well on the Steam Deck - but trying it on a free weekend (on my main PC), the PC version's always-on DRM fucked me over when there was a network hiccup.

Always-on DRM needs to die in a fire.

Jazz on