Options

[Hearthstone] Tripping into Second Class.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    My level 50 legendary was the one that adds quick draw cards to your hand. Seems good for a late game deck.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    You join me and forty as members of the What The Hell Do We Even Do With Flint crew.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    The Judge wrote: »
    1bhzntva4434.png

No, really, you shouldn't have.

Is, uh, the receipt in the box?

Pip is the most fun thing to get from the Well tho

edit: I once got two from the Well and had an endless army of 1-cost legendaries

ObiFett on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    My level 50 legendary was the one that adds quick draw cards to your hand. Seems good for a late game deck.
    Jesus, Flint must be on the Blizzard clearance rack the way they're giving him away.

Even the slow, value decks aren't playing Flint since there are better cards to play when you have a lot of mana, and he's crappy as an early game play.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »
    1bhzntva4434.png

No, really, you shouldn't have.

Is, uh, the receipt in the box?

Pip is the most fun thing to get from the Well tho

edit: I once got two from the Well and had an endless army of 1-cost legendaries
    I got offered Pip in a Countess invitation along with a couple other bad legendaries, but I had no 1 cost cards so one of the other shitty legendaries ended up being slightly less bad.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Weird bug today.

I put Spurfang out as a 3/5 and it died. Instead of summoning a three cost beast minion, it created a space where it was. I couldn't put any cards there though I could click on the space. So I would have Card ____ Card.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Nothing but Mages tonight. I wonder what the VS report will show this week.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    sc9c3eiacxwo.png

A small collection of cards are being nerfed/changed not for balance reasons, but because the fucking things just keep causing bugs. Free dust when the hotfix patch hits if you got 'em.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    New madam Goya is another way to break some brawls that are already broken.

No, wait. It targets on board. That's too slow I guess.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Patch is officially delayed for unknown reasons but will require a download so you'll know it when it happens - "hoping" for a release today, is the word.

Edit: and it's out!

The Judge on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Only played a little of new BGs but honestly, spells seem like a solid addition. The anomalies were very chaotic and this just feels like good, interesting decisionmaking.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Bots have been added to the Battlegrounds ladder. One or more bots will be added to certain games to provide newer and lower-MMR players with a smoother experience.
    Huh...

• Options
    Highlight from the bug fixes:
    [Hearthstone] Fixed a bug where cards transformed by Shenanigans would retain their Deathrattles, allowing you to... *sigh* destroy the enemy hero with a banana that had Mecha’thun’s Deathrattle. Talk about Shenanigans.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Nothing but Mages tonight. I wonder what the VS report will show this week.

I played seven warriors in a row yesterday. It was really weird.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Only played a little of new BGs but honestly, spells seem like a solid addition. The anomalies were very chaotic and this just feels like good, interesting decisionmaking.

This is the most fun I've had in battlegrounds in a long time.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    What are people's thoughts on the new heroes?

I didn't care much for Snake Eyes. Maybe that's because I rolled a lot of 1s and 2s when I played him, but the variance seems to make it a tough power to play around. Like planning on leveling as long as you roll a 2+, and then you get a 1, or ending up with inefficient turns due to weird rolls.

Doctor seems OK, but of course really high variance on outcome compared to, say, Akazamzarak. Getting to play with more spells than other heroes is fun for now. My one game I had with him didn't go well, but I'm not sure how much of that could be attributed to subpar hero power rolls vs. my subpar play and typical tavern/minion issues.

Didn't get to play Tae'thelan yet, but at least with him it seems like you will have more control over the outcome you get. I feel like there will at least be some gameplay to aiming to buy two cheap spells and then trying to nab something expensive for free.

forty on
  • Options
    I placed first in my first game with Taethelan, so obviously he's op. But really, he seems quite good, as economy heroes often do. You probably want some synergy with spells because otherwise they might not do enough.

I had something like (but not quite as powerful as) this video:

https://youtu.be/g0drGcKdk_4?si=fbvH-3Jf8o2fkaC5

• Options
    Now I also got the first with the Doc done, I think it was my second game with him.

1zj5f82svybm.png

The Sindorei (windfury/divine shield that removes reborn) is what carried me this game because I slapped a "grow +2/+2 each turn" spell on it and it turns out that scaling minions that usually can't be scaled is very good. It was an undead and beast lobby, so the guy stayed relevant all game.

• Options
    We got a patch incoming:

Enrage Warrior was the biggest standout we wanted to adjust down, and we wanted to make Sif Mage a bit more attackable. We’re also taking this opportunity to buff some underperforming archetypes, especially with new cards. Excavate as a whole got a little love with buffs to a Treasure at each rarity, the Neutral Burrow Buster, and a couple low-performance class Excavate cards.

The following cards have been adjusted to be less powerful:

Inquisitive Creation
    Old: [4 Mana]
    New: [5 Mana]

Thori’belore
    Old: 4/4
    New: 4/3

Battleworn Faceless
    Old: [2 Mana]
    New: [3 Mana]

The following cards have been adjusted to be more powerful:

Sludge on Wheels
    Old: 1/5
    New: 2/5

Detonation Juggernaut
    Old: [5 Mana] 3/6
    New: [4 Mana] 3/4

Snake Eyes
    Old: 2/3
    New: 2/4

Going Down Swinging
    Old: [5 Mana]
    New: [4 Mana]

Flint Firearm
    Old: [3 Mana] 3/3
    New: [2 Mana] 2/3

Blast Charge
    Old: [3 Mana]
    New: [2 Mana]

Antique Flinger
    Old: [4 Mana] 5/4
    New: [3 Mana] 4/3

Burrow Buster
    Old: 6/4
    New: 6/5

Escaping Trogg (Excavate Treasure)
    Old: 2/2
    New: 2/3

Canary (Excavate Treasure)
    Old: 2/1
    New: 2/2

Steelhide Mole (Excavate Treasure)
    Old: 2/7
    New: 3/7

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    If they really wanted to make excavate better they probably should have buffed the neutral two drop, if anything. It's really hard to play a two mana 1/1 in today's standard, particularly when there are already a lot of 1 mana 1/2s that generate a card anyway. As someone who has played a good amount of excavate Death Knight, it creates an issue where you're almost immediately falling behind on board just trying to get your stuff going.

• Options
    This could turn it around for Flint!

• Options
    edited December 2023
    I had a couple mediocre Tae'thelan games (tried to play around spells but kept getting offered the wrong ones at the wrong time), then I watched someone do the Land Lubber and stay on 2 strategy. My next Tae game I was able to find Lubbers and do the same (well, not as smoothly and with more bungling), but it was good enough to hit first. Had 20 base gold on turn 8.

This combo feels pretty broken. I don't see how some part of this doesn't get touched.

forty on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    I really want to like the current meta but have hit a string of terrible luck trying to get from dad legend to actual legend. It will balance out eventually, but it’s been a string of frustrating losses from winning positions that have come down to draw RNG or game breaking Yoggs (both mine and the opponents, leading to my loss).

Time to step away for a day before making a push tomorrow.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So I need to vent. I'm just trying to get my 5 monthly wins for the cardback. I am at Bronze 2. -Every- -single- -deck- is a Paladin, Druid or Warrior full of uncounterable bullshit. I'm not trying top play high tier ranked Hearthstone, I'm trying to do the stupid task. I have never had such a terrible time playing since I started on Day 1. I can't imagine what it's like at Diamond and Plat where I'd usually stop at. Normally I just reroll the 5 wins task every week because ranked has become more and more ridiculous. Every time I'm ins striking distance, Reno hits the field and then I'm done.

Should I just pull the trigger and uninstall? I feel like it's sunk cost fallacy time. I've not spent any actual money, but I have spent alot of time and stuck it out through Mercenaries, and I never cared for duels or battegrounds.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    In theory if you lose enough, your invisible MMR should drop enough to where you face fewer tryhards or more poverty decks.

• Options
    In theory if you lose enough, your invisible MMR should drop enough to where you face fewer tryhards or more poverty decks.

Yes, but like I said, I'm only in Bronze 2 at the middle of the month. I shouldn't be facing top legend decks so far into the month in the first place.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    übergeek wrote: »

Yes, but like I said, I'm only in Bronze 2 at the middle of the month. I shouldn't be facing top legend decks so far into the month in the first place.
    I agree, but as I understand it, you don't actually get matched against Bronze players (unless your hidden MMR is actually "Bronze"). The game uses MMR matchmaking at all ranks until you run out of the "bonus stars" for winning. Now if you're out of bonus stars at Bronze 2 and still facing all the top tier shit, then that is beyond ridiculous.

Edit: In other words, if you typically end a month in Platinum, then you're essentially being matchmade against players in Platinum.

forty on
  • Options
    Ah ok, I still have stars so guess I'm opting out of ranked for a while. I just saw on reddit that the top 20 decks in Diamond are 19 narrow variation of Paladin........and one Warrior.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    That sounds about right. Paladin is still bonkers according to this week's VS report with no obvious counters. It will get some nerfs in the next balance patch, but who knows if that will be sooner or later.

• Options
    The Worlds tournament ended today, so maybe we'll get a balance patch before the holidays.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I mean if we don’t, it’s just going to be 3 more solid weeks of paladins ruling a meta. They are definitely at the “hit 3-4 cards with mana increases” level, and if it kills the class for a bit, better than it being like this for the holidays.

• Options
    As a player who has run with Paladin more than anything else in Hearthstone, I fully admit that it hasn't been this undeniably dominant since the week Genn first rolled out.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I didn't really think the Order nerf was going to be enough.

Paladin just has some insanely strong early game minions. Nothing even comes close to Righteous Protector or Sanguine Soldier. Then they have a bunch of solid 2s to follow up, plus heaven help you if they drop Liadrin or Kotori on curve and you don't have an answer. Then they often roll right into turn 3 with Boogie Down on turn 3 for more taunts to further protect their board. There's very little any class can do against that level of aggression AND staying power.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Patch 28.2.3 Standard Balance Preview

Buffing: Maw and Paw, Corpse Bride, Climactic Necrotic Explosion, Invasive Shadeleaf, Pip the Potent, Ra-den, Elise Badlands Savior, Shell Game, Velarok Windblade, The Azerite Scorpion, Furnace Fuel, Pop'gar the Putrid, Slagmaw the Slumbering, Khaz'goroth, Horseshoe Slinger, and Barrel of Sludge.

Nerfing: Splish-Splash Whelp, Desert Nestmatron, Arcane Wyrm, Staff of the Nine Frogs, Keeper's Strength, Prismatic Beam

The Judge on
  • Options
    Boogie Down dodged a nerf again, wow.

• Options
    I'm guessing this is a significant kick to Pally in the board-clears with how they're hitting Dragon Druid at the same time.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Splish Splash Whelp? Seriously? There is nothing wrong with that card.

Edit - but holy shit look at those buffs to rainbow DK. Could my stupid pet deck become good?!

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    Per the vicious syndicate guys, dragon Druid is only being held back by paladin, if paladin gets hit hard enough, it would likely become the new dominate deck and we’d be right back here with one outsized class in a week or two.

I’m glad they’re cutting it off before it has a chance to do that. Dragon Druid is all the same problems as paladins, great early game, able to stick boards and develop new ones easily, and has a strong late game transition. Doing some mana bumps to those dragons is a good idea.

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »
    Per the vicious syndicate guys, dragon Druid is only being held back by paladin, if paladin gets hit hard enough, it would likely become the new dominate deck and we’d be right back here with one outsized class in a week or two.

I’m glad they’re cutting it off before it has a chance to do that. Dragon Druid is all the same problems as paladins, great early game, able to stick boards and develop new ones easily, and has a strong late game transition. Doing some mana bumps to those dragons is a good idea.

Matron currently is too strong yes, but Whelp is perfectly reasonable. It's conditional ramp on an irrelevant body, given the power level of a lot of other 1- and 2-drops out there, I just don't feel like that card is problematic at all.

And if we're worried about druid ramp, Nourish is long overdue to become "empty mana crystals."

• Options
    Splish-Splash is by far the highest Mulligan win rate card in Dragon Druid. I heard the casters at Worlds over the weekend joking about whoever played Whelp on 2 winning. It makes sense to hit a card whose absence or presence in the opening hand has such a huge influence on the chance of winning the game.

Nerfing Nourish does nothing because the vast majority of Dragon Druids don't play it.