Options

[Hearthstone] Arfus is the bestest boy

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Excavate Rogue is fucking everywhere.

I just used it to hit legend. The deck is very feast or famine but can high roll out of its mind and just win no matter what the opponent does. It’s also high variance and has a high skill ceiling (the decision trees are kind of insane given the variance).

It’s also generally cheap, since you can build it with very few legendaries. One of my love/hate decks but it can be an absolute blast to play (and a nightmare) so it feels like playing the lottery sometimes.
    I haven't seen any cheap versions. They're all like 6-8 legendaries.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Excavate Rogue is fucking everywhere.

I just used it to hit legend. The deck is very feast or famine but can high roll out of its mind and just win no matter what the opponent does. It’s also high variance and has a high skill ceiling (the decision trees are kind of insane given the variance).

It’s also generally cheap, since you can build it with very few legendaries. One of my love/hate decks but it can be an absolute blast to play (and a nightmare) so it feels like playing the lottery sometimes.
    I haven't seen any cheap versions. They're all like 6-8 legendaries.

Gotcha, I assumed most people would already have several of the legendaries (Astralor, Ashara, shadow of demise, Putricide, and Crabatoa) for other decks already, but I see where you’re coming from. I only crafted Drilly and Velarok specially for the deck, so it was cheap for me 😆

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I am going to take a run at Legend this month. Have never made it before despite playing since 2014, although I honestly have never put a serious effort into doing it.

I am at Plat 9 and climbing quickly with Treant Druid. Would that be the most no-brainer way to get to Legend at this point in time, or would Drilling Rogue be better? I'd need to craft Velarok to get it up and running but have everything else.

Also been playing Unholy Plague DK as well and enjoy the heck out of that, except when Helya is at the bottom of my deck.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I am going to take a run at Legend this month. Have never made it before despite playing since 2014, although I honestly have never put a serious effort into doing it.

I am at Plat 9 and climbing quickly with Treant Druid. Would that be the most no-brainer way to get to Legend at this point in time, or would Drilling Rogue be better? I'd need to craft Velarok to get it up and running but have everything else.

Also been playing Unholy Plague DK as well and enjoy the heck out of that, except when Helya is at the bottom of my deck.

Treant Druid remains tier 1, so it’s reasonable to stick with that if you’re comfortable. Excavate Rogue is fairly hard to play and has a lot of variance, so I don’t recommend it unless you like that kind of gameplay.

• Options
    Stick with Treant Druid unless you truly hit a wall. It's a very good deck, except at high MMRs, and its games tend to be over faster, which is also helpful for the legend grind.

• Options
    Stick with Treant Druid unless you truly hit a wall. It's a very good deck, except at high MMRs, and its games tend to be over faster, which is also helpful for the legend grind.

Honestly, that’s why I wound up using excavate rogue instead of control warrior. Had a slightly higher win rate with warrior but games took forever. Only needed a small string of luck to win with excavate rogue so it was actually faster to just rely on variance in short games.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Treant Druid and whatever the DK deck is that just plays lots of dudes so they can buff them (or play the huge dude that turns corpses into huge rushers)

All I ever see are those decks.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Treant Druid is simultaneously a very strong deck and also a very cheap deck, which honestly we haven't had in a while

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Treant Druid and whatever the DK deck is that just plays lots of dudes so they can buff them (or play the huge dude that turns corpses into huge rushers)

The latest VS report has a Unholy DK with a shockingly bad win rate. I'm kind of surprised they didn't comment on it at all.

• Options

The latest VS report has a Unholy DK with a shockingly bad win rate. I'm kind of surprised they didn't comment on it at all.

Unholy DK is kind of bad imho, or at least worse than other aggro decks. Not surprised it has a bad win rate.

• Options

Unholy DK is kind of bad imho, or at least worse than other aggro decks. Not surprised it has a bad win rate.
    It is, but according to their numbers it still has a significant presence outside of Legend. Like it's one of the most played decks in Diamond according to them. To be that bad at that amount of play feels like it should be worth a mention.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I think that unholy DK deck popularity might be driven by bots.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Me: It's weird that you made Odyn unstackable. Didn't really see too much of it before and I can't see how that could--

Blizzard:
    engy1lju8feo.png

Me: Ah. Well yeah, good call on the change then.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Oh god dammit, we’re going to have to deal with that for a year and a half.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I thought Brann was a Hunter, not a Warrior.

• Options
    So far Highlander Warrior hasn't been a thing*. I don't know if Brann will get it there, but that is some terrifying payoff if it does.

*There are some control shells that play a few dupes along with Reno as a potential late game payoff that bank on drawing their dupes before turn 20, but I don't think a deck like that could reasonably run Brann as well.

• Options
    Azerite Ox now summons 4 8-mana minions

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Azerite Ox now summons 4 8-mana minions

A beefy card.

• Options
    All hail our new Priest overlords.

sig.gif

• Options
    Yeah seriously, wtf. Were people not hating on priest hard enough lately?

• Options
    Powers once reserved for 10-mana spells or Legendary battlecries in the hands of Priests for five okay sure.

• Options
    Made it to Platinum 1, 3 Stars and then hit a wall. Combination of bad draws and every matchup being anti-aggro set me back. Ended up 25-8 with Treant Druid this afternoon, with 3 of my last 5 matchups being losses. Hopefully a different pocket meta this weekend, if not I may switch up to a different deck.

sig.gif

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Powers once reserved for 10-mana spells or Legendary battlecries in the hands of Priests for five okay sure.

Seriously. Super Reverberations for only 1 more mana with no direct downside?

Better Entomb for 1 less mana?

Highlander priest can easily run both too. And the add copies one is a nice finisher for the pogo hopper style priest deck

• Options
    it's not hard to make a card better than entomb, entomb sucks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited January 18
    I uh slapped two high ranking Rainbow decks together and I think I made it even more consistent. Watch out you don't overdraw and have fun slamming big threats on the board until you can play your big Explosion. Twice.

### Double Rainbow
    # Class: Death Knight
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Wolf
    #
    # 2x (1) Arms Dealer
    # 2x (1) Tour Guide
    # 2x (2) Defrost
    # 2x (2) Gold Panner
    # 2x (2) Plague Strike
    # 1x (3) Acolyte of Death
    # 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
    # 2x (3) Crop Rotation
    # 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
    # 2x (3) Sickly Grimewalker
    # 2x (4) Malignant Horror
    # 1x (4) Maw and Paw
    # 2x (4) Murlocula
    # 2x (5) Corpse Bride
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    # 1x (8) The Primus
    # 1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion
    # 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
    #
    AAECAe2qBgbbuQTZ8QT8+QXt/wWLkgb/lwYMy+IE8OME0e0Eh/YEtPcEmYEFkpMFopkFl5UGkZcGzpwG16IGAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Edit: winstreaked to Dad Legend. It's very good versus Druid.

Double edit: D2 and going strong. Good versus DK, Warrior and Palladin as well.

Triple edit: Rank 1. People keep conceding with Druid and Priest as they either run out of steam or are powerless to stop the double Rainbow.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Made it to Platinum 1, 3 Stars and then hit a wall. Combination of bad draws and every matchup being anti-aggro set me back. Ended up 25-8 with Treant Druid this afternoon, with 3 of my last 5 matchups being losses. Hopefully a different pocket meta this weekend, if not I may switch up to a different deck.

I just hit Legend using this deck:

### Mining Rogue
    # Class: Rogue
    # Year of the Wolf
    #
    # 2x (0) Preparation
    # 1x (0) Shadow of Demise
    # 2x (0) Shadowstep
    # 2x (1) Bloodrock Co. Shovel
    # 2x (1) Breakdance
    # 2x (1) Shattershambler
    # 2x (1) Stick Up
    # 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
    # 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
    # 2x (2) Kaja'mite Creation
    # 2x (2) Kobold Miner
    # 2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
    # 1x (2) Sketchy Stranger
    # 1x (3) Velarok Windblade
    # 1x (4) Drilly the Kid
    # 2x (4) Scourge Illusionist
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    # 1x (6) Crabatoa
    # 1x (7) Tess Greymane
    #
    AAECAYO6AgjYtgTbuQSS3wTMoAWLpAXipAXQlAaOlgYL9p8E958E49ME9d0EoZMF38MF6PoFyoMGyJQGyZQG0J4GAAA=

I added Sketchy and removed Flint for more Tess options and went 10-3 in my last run. I lost to a Treant Druid, Rogue, and combo Warlock.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Shadow of Demise doesn't rotate out for another year, right? I would need to craft that and Velarok to get a proper Mining Rogue up and running. Also love the Maw and Paw potential craft to do that Double Rainbow deck.

Treant Druid is performing OK (I keep bopping between D8 and D7) but it's getting a little mind numbing to play.

sig.gif

• Options
    Shadow of Demise doesn't rotate out for another year, right?

Wrong. Shadow of Demise will rotate along with the rest of March of the Lich King in the next set.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ehh, ok then guess I won't be crafting that then.

Did just open my first dual legendary pack in a few years, opened a Doctor Holli'dae and a Golden Boomboss.

sig.gif

• Options
    Shadow of Demise doesn't rotate out for another year, right? I would need to craft that and Velarok to get a proper Mining Rogue up and running. Also love the Maw and Paw potential craft to do that Double Rainbow deck.

Treant Druid is performing OK (I keep bopping between D8 and D7) but it's getting a little mind numbing to play.

I think Velarok is busted currently. It's not changing forms when you use a card from another class which is frustrating.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Velarok appears to have been accidentally reverted to his earlier "play three cards" version in this patch, though his text hasn't changed.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    As Bob Ross would say, that's a happy accident.

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Oh and Druids get to play it too. :|

• Options
    Somehow Imp Gang Boss doesn't count as an Imp.

• Options
    edited January 19
    I made it to Legend with Double Rainbow!

Last Boss was a Spell Hunter that could not get past my taunts with his weapons, while I gained back life with the free undead Murlocs. Rejoice!

Edit: rank 6783

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Yikes, it's just wall to wall Reno Warriors with Alastor right now.

I mean, I'm playing it, too. But still.

• Options
    Warrior and Warrior and then Warrior.

I think I've played one Warlock and one Rogue and the rest Warriors.

This is what I've been running as a counter:

### Excavate and Countess
    # Class: Paladin
    # Year of the Wolf
    #
    # 2x (1) Righteous Protector
    # 2x (1) Sanguine Soldier
    # 2x (1) Sinful Sous Chef
    # 2x (2) For Quel'Thalas!
    # 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
    # 2x (2) Hi Ho Silverwing
    # 2x (2) Mining Casualties
    # 2x (3) Boogie Down
    # 2x (3) Deputization Aura
    # 2x (3) Muster for Battle
    # 2x (3) Shroomscavate
    # 1x (3) Sir Finley, the Intrepid
    # 2x (4) Crusader Aura
    # 2x (4) Fossilized Kaleidosaur
    # 1x (7) The Countess
    # 2x (10) The Garden's Grace
    #
    AAECAaToAgKG4gSTngYOyaAE2r0Ev+IEq5MFgZYFwcQFlPUFlfUF444GvI8GtZ4GkqAGyKIGzrAGAAA=

It has some staying power if your board gets wiped a couple of times with The Countess and the Kaleidosaur.

• Options
    Yeah this is fucking stupid.

sig.gif

• Options
    So, Plague to counter, right?

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    So, Plague to counter, right?

Yep, that is my plan (with a few add'l wrinkles in the deck). Just hope they don't draw Steamcleaner until late.

sig.gif