Options

[Hearthstone] Tripping into Second Class.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    What does that even mean? How do they define "engaging with the system"? If I have the brawls/bgs quest, I have to make sure I play/win enough of those modes to finish the quest. Were they mad that people weren't making shitty decks with every miniaturize (previously quickdraw/forge/finale) card they have available in order to do a "play 60 X cards" quest and were instead able to finish it playing half a dozen shopper DH games before the deck got nerfed? That's still "engaging with the system" because you can't just finish the quest playing Plague DH or Reno Warrior (most variants anyway).

I think cutting through bullshit marketingspeak, what they really meant is that their metrics showed a significant number of players were winning between 5-10 ranked games, BGs, 500 mana, etc. per week, and they wanted to scoot the rewards out of reach of those players to either compel them to spend more time playing the game or simply fail to complete the weeklies and thus have fewer non-monetary resources to spend in the shop. The hope being that this would get them to spend more money at some point in the process.

forty on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Correct, completing fewer weeklies over the course of time probably equates to, I don't know, 10 fewer packs in between expansions?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 18
    The Judge wrote: »
    "Many players competed their weekly quests through their regular play without even really engaging with the weekly quest system" is such a load of "you non-paying, freeloading jerks out there have only yourselves to blame for this change"

What does that nonsense even mean? If you are completing your weekly quests you are by definition engaging with the weekly quest system.

Edit - of course I probably should have read to the next page to find @forty ask the same question. But in my defense, it’s such an incredulous statement I think it’s worth repeating.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Blizz: No one is playing the amount of games we want them to in order to complete quests c'mon guys

Also Blizz: Let's put the first quest of this 7-quest chain behind a card you only get when you buy the season pass or crafting

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Ah the ol' reverse bait and switch

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 18
    I should stop playing, just had the best luck in the entire world with my Excavate Well Rogue deck.

T1 is Shovel. T2 is Greedy Partner to get a coin. T3 gives my first excavate as the Pouch of coins. Warrior plays Dirty Rat on 3, which pulls Wishing Well. I have Sonya Waterdancer in hand.

Turn 4 and I play Waterdancer, coin, pouch of coin, pouch of coin, coin, coin, coin, coin. For 5 different 1-cost Legendaries to play that I then get a 0 cost copy of.

By the end of that turn, the board has 2x Fye the Setting Sun and 2x Maw and Paw. It also gives me Ra-den which I keep in my hand just in case.

They don't concede so by the time the game is over on turn 7ish, I've got 60+ health.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Many players competed their weekly quests through their regular play without even really engaging with the weekly quest system

"engaging the weekly quest system" you mean like playing the game right

like just playing the game like normal and completing the weekly quests like normal right

no?? not like that?? oh my fucking bad dude i don't speak Capitalism. yeah i never studied that language in high school. yeah no it's totally on me, i get it dude. my bad

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I wonder if a lot of people just stopped playing over this - I haven't seen a non-bot in days. Just legions of ClearYeti and JadeRogue and such, playing common decks.

• Options
    I'm stuck with a bot name now (SageViper) because Blizzard is garbage. :(

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought the bot names were the alphanumeric stuff I see at sometimes

• Options
    edited April 20
    How in the FUCK do you ping in Battleground Duos on mobile?!?! My partners keep pinging shit at me, I'm trying to tap the cards but it ain't doing shit

Who DESIGNED THIS

edit: I found the tutorial. Quote unquote "a two-finger tap". what does this mean. double tap?? that doesn't work. tap the thing with two fingers at once?? THAT doesn't work

"two-finger tap" who DESIGNED this

couldn't they have just made it a Long Press instead. yknow, something intuitive

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I remember reading about the "two-finger tap" in the Duos patch notes and having no idea what that means.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is it not just tapping with two fingers as opposed to one? A lot of mobile devices/games use that as a secondary input

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    is it not just tapping with two fingers as opposed to one? A lot of mobile devices/games use that as a secondary input

Nope! That does not Do Anything as it turns out. I thought, well, maybe it's just because my phone screen is small and my fingers are fat, maybe I'll try my thumb or something-- nope

So I actually went and googled this, and by "googled this" I mean I entered "hearthstone battlegrounds duos how to ping reddit" into the searchbar (bceause you hafta append "reddit" at the end of every single search nowadays in order to actually find an answer)

AND THE ANSWER IS: really fucking stupid

you have to a) tap and hold on the card you want to ping b) tap once with your other finger anywhere else in the tavern. this opens up the ping menu. this is the most straightforward and intuitive design they could have possibly come up with

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    That would have been my guess, but apparently that's not the case. Even then, for the size of many UI elements vs. the size of a finger, that sounds horribly imprecise.

• Options
    Crafted fizzle for the Shaman deck. Refined it a bit and.. ugh i just feel dirty playing it.

Only decks seem to have a shot at beating it (unless i draw totally dead) are value mages that hit insane off their spell + armor combos or Hunters hitting the early nuts

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 21
    Shamans are the reason I ditched my dirty rats for the cycle card that makes spells cost 2 more.
    It's quite devastating for Shamans and I love that my deck can compete as long as I know the meta.

Edit: speaker stomper

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited April 21
    yeah Speaker stomper is a bad time for us. But i rarely see it.

But you can play around it with a golganneth turn p easy

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 21
    so many turn seven otk's This deck is going to be nerfed hard.

8-1 since i got the hang of the new deck

edit: 11-2 into plat lol

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    It's truly incredible how I face 0 warriors after switching to Plague DK.

• Options
    karma strikes again

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I haven't seen a warrior this whole week.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited April 21
    it's been t7 lethal for 5 games straight. Ok guess i'm pushing for legend again.

60% winrate over 100 games. 63 wins to go for 1000 win shaman portrait let's go!

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I thought the bot names were the alphanumeric stuff I see at sometimes

Gold farming bots are alphanumeric/ random letters or Chinese characters.

Blizzard also has its own bots in the ecosystem to keep the queue times down. You can identify them by their “AdjectiveNoun” names or something similar.

• Options
    edited April 21
    "Alphagaia wrote:
    I haven't seen a warrior this whole week.
    A couple days ago I tried to play Elemental Mage and the Warriors were everywhere. So I figured "if it's gonna be a Renofest, might as well play Plague." And then of course they all disappeared.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Friendly warning to BG Duos players: my opponent had a reborn Rylak procing a Gold Orc-estra Conductor:
    lky7bn5xevsh.png

And it ended up buffing the shit out of some of my minions (it was up in the +60 to 70 range), including a Tarecgosa that got to keep the buff. Lol, whoops.

forty on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Yeah, that's not specific to only duos - there's a very teachable moment when you learn what when a buff battlecry does not specifically say "friendly" or "your", it means it can buff your opponents too. Often a bad idea to use Rylak + Balladist, for example.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Hawkstrider+Rylak+the guy that transforms into higher tier minions was very funny when you could pull it off, though.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Okay Duos is actually fun as shit

They cooked for this one fr. I think it's a great addition to Battlegrounds

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Had one of the Blizzard bots rope for two turns and then "Your Opponent Left"

So I guess what I'm saying is they're becoming really accurate simulations of random Hearthstone players

• Options
    I'm still waiting for a bot programmer to go full circle and make the bot friendrequest you after a loss to curse you out.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Between a few weeks of busted Demon Hunter and the new quest changes, I've just really lost my desire to play right now. Sad, because I enjoy the game overall and I was hoping there would be some cool stuff to get me excited to kick off the 10-yr anniversary. Oh well. This isn't unusual, I've taken breaks for several months or even years so it's not a big deal, I was just hoping for something reinvigorating.

• Options
    Finally got into a Duo game after the wheel spinning for 2 minutes, teammate immediately abandons me, great first impression :/

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 23
    An obviously Reno Warrior goes up close to 30 armor on me and keeps emoting. Mostly because I've played very little going into turn 5. But I've got Waterdancer, a Well, two coins and a remixed dispense-o-bot (from assembly line) that I'm just waiting for the right time to play.

Turn 6 hits and the bot finally goes into coin mode, so I play Well and all my coins. Imagine the biggest shit-eating grin on my face when Helya pops out from one of my coins. I patiently hold onto it and throw some other threats on the board.

They emote and clear the board, continuing to emote like they have the game won.

Turn 7 I play Waterdancer, Helya, Helya

It was quiet as they conceded.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    You should've asked to be their friend.

And then opened with WHY YOU RUNNING???

• Options
    Oh also - big-ass balance patch on the way. with the following announcement attached:

The following is being posted on behalf of Aleco Pors, Final Design Lead.

Hey everyone!

We’ve got a really big balance patch planned for later this week, with changes to around 30 cards, including buffs and nerfs—and a few Wild changes. Since this patch has different goals from most other patches, I’d like to provide you all with some more context as to what we’re thinking and how we got here.

In this patch, we are attempting to address issues which have cropped up with the overall health of Standard, as opposed to correcting issues with the health of the specific meta like we normally do. Alarm bells started to go off within the design team when we noticed that the power level of Hearthstone didn’t seem to drop much (if at all) after the recent annual rotation. This sparked a lot of internal discussion about certain gameplay patterns in the current meta – particularly hyper-efficient AoE board clears, “OTK” style decks that lack sufficient counterplay, and powerful Legendary cards like Zarimi, Reno Lone Ranger, and Wheel of Death, which tend to either end the game on the spot or create such a dramatic swing in the game state that the game can feel like it is effectively over. While these cards are a lot of fun for the players playing with them, it was clear that those playing against these cards often felt they had little agency in their ability to affect the outcome of the game.

Increasing the overall feeling of player agency is our key focus with this patch, and it will continue to be our key focus in future patches until it feels like the trend of powerful low-agency cards and archetypes has been reversed. We think it’s fine for there to be exciting, dreamy, and lower-agency cards in the game, but not if they’re also the most powerful cards in the game.

In the latest expansion, too many of these lower-agency designs were allowed to become powerful meta contenders. As the lead of Final Design, it’s ultimately my responsibility to make sure that doesn’t happen. We hope that this upcoming patch will be a big step towards course-correcting a few of these mistakes, and that by closely monitoring feedback from our players after big changes like this, the game will be a great spot for future expansions in the Year of the Pegasus.

-Aleco, Final Design Lead

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    An obviously Reno Warrior goes up close to 30 armor on me and keeps emoting. Mostly because I've played very little going into turn 5. But I've got Waterdancer, a Well, two coins and a remixed dispense-o-bot (from assembly line) that I'm just waiting for the right time to play.

Turn 6 hits and the bot finally goes into coin mode, so I play Well and all my coins. Imagine the biggest shit-eating grin on my face when Helya pops out from one of my coins. I patiently hold onto it and throw some other threats on the board.

They emote and clear the board, continuing to emote like they have the game won.

Turn 7 I play Waterdancer, Helya, Helya

It was quiet as they conceded.
    What newb Warrior hasn't already played Brann by turn 6?? What a loser!

• Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    Okay Duos is actually fun as shit

They cooked for this one fr. I think it's a great addition to Battlegrounds
    It's good but I have run into some major UX bugs. I hope it gets the love it needs.

Also I feel like Cho and Gall playing exactly the same was a bit of a missed opportunity. They should have done something to differentiate which one you're playing. As most people in HotS know, Cho and Gall in HotS are each a different play experience.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Big balance patch incoming.

Me, with tons of undusted cards, "We're gonna be rich!"

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Noooodon't kill my deck, i'm almost there

Yh6tI4T.jpg