Options

[Hearthstone] Tripping into Second Class.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Finally got into a Duo game after the wheel spinning for 2 minutes, teammate immediately abandons me, great first impression :/

My first random queue duos was very good, because my partner knew their stuff and we won easily. One team dropped right off the bat so that helped of course.

Then after the game I found that while you can add opponents from battlegrounds as friends you can't add your partners? That has to be an oversight.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Big balance patch incoming.

Me, with tons of undusted cards, "We're gonna be rich!"

Me, who individually dusts nerfed cards for each and every balance patch and never hits "dust all": scroogemcduckswimminginmoney.gif

The Judge wrote: »
    Oh also - big-ass balance patch on the way. with the following announcement attached:

The following is being posted on behalf of Aleco Pors, Final Design Lead.

Hey everyone!

We’ve got a really big balance patch planned for later this week, with changes to around 30 cards, including buffs and nerfs—and a few Wild changes. Since this patch has different goals from most other patches, I’d like to provide you all with some more context as to what we’re thinking and how we got here.

In this patch, we are attempting to address issues which have cropped up with the overall health of Standard, as opposed to correcting issues with the health of the specific meta like we normally do. Alarm bells started to go off within the design team when we noticed that the power level of Hearthstone didn’t seem to drop much (if at all) after the recent annual rotation. This sparked a lot of internal discussion about certain gameplay patterns in the current meta – particularly hyper-efficient AoE board clears, “OTK” style decks that lack sufficient counterplay, and powerful Legendary cards like Zarimi, Reno Lone Ranger, and Wheel of Death, which tend to either end the game on the spot or create such a dramatic swing in the game state that the game can feel like it is effectively over. While these cards are a lot of fun for the players playing with them, it was clear that those playing against these cards often felt they had little agency in their ability to affect the outcome of the game.

Increasing the overall feeling of player agency is our key focus with this patch, and it will continue to be our key focus in future patches until it feels like the trend of powerful low-agency cards and archetypes has been reversed. We think it’s fine for there to be exciting, dreamy, and lower-agency cards in the game, but not if they’re also the most powerful cards in the game.

In the latest expansion, too many of these lower-agency designs were allowed to become powerful meta contenders. As the lead of Final Design, it’s ultimately my responsibility to make sure that doesn’t happen. We hope that this upcoming patch will be a big step towards course-correcting a few of these mistakes, and that by closely monitoring feedback from our players after big changes like this, the game will be a great spot for future expansions in the Year of the Pegasus.

-Aleco, Final Design Lead

Overall very pleased with this announcement, this sounds great. I hope Sif Mage is on this list. Holy hell, fuck that deck, man. Literally fucking solitaire for the mage and you can't fucking do shit as they stall and freeze and armor up and then they drop Sif+Reverberations and blast your ass with 0 mana 14 damage spells

I'm playing a UUB Plague DK with a bunch of healing and shit, I dropped Primus and gained a bunch of extra health, I had gained 10 Armor from double Horsemans, I had a Maw and Paw I discovered that got me like 10 health; nope, DOES NOT MATTER HOW MUCH HEALTH I HAD, OTK ONLY LOLOLOL. And the deck actively punishes you for playing Large Minions cause of Sleet Skater. Like you want to try and burst them down, you want big threatening minions on board; I plonk down my Chained Guardians cause that represents 16 damage (!!!) but oops, they have Sleet Skater! That's 32 armor over the course of 2 turns for them!!! And then they just drop Inquisitive Creation or whatever else fuckin board clear on that third turn anyway!!

Can't even Dirty Rat her out cause that deck actually runs multiple minions and it's next to impossible to know when/if they're holding Sif. I waited until they blew a ton of card draw, had like a third of their deck left; nope, pulls a goddamn Miracle Salesman or some shit. And then 2 turns later they drop Sif. Like cool yeah what a waste of 30 minutes.

Very Cool Game Design!!!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    And what’s crazy is that Sif isn’t even one of what I would classify as a “broken” deck currently. It feels bad because it’s got inevitability on its side, but it’s also not dropping giants or worse on turn 4/5

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »
    And what’s crazy is that Sif isn’t even one of what I would classify as a “broken” deck currently. It feels bad because it’s got inevitability on its side, but it’s also not dropping giants or worse on turn 4/5

My favorite is when Wheellock drops a fat-ass 15/15 on board and then uses Forge of Wills on it and you better have a way to clear two 15/15s or you're just fucken dead

I love that. It's so fun. Emergent Gameplay.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Does anyone find these degenerate brawls fun? Druid and Warlock can just turn 1 kill if they have high enough apm. Dunno if other classes also can? I guess there's the fun for people, finding this out?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Considering most Brawls only interest me for the pack, I like being able to get mine from a 2-minute game rather than the arduous 20-minute matches of, say, the Easter egg or discover-every-turn brawls.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I wonder what those patch changes will be. It seems like a lot more needs to happen than tweaking numbers on a bunch of cars. This feels like a systemic issue right now.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    I just now figured out how to play Battlegrounds Duels (i.e., find the right button to access that mode). I think they could have made that slightly more obvious.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    Had a quest to play a bunch of Miniaturize/Mini cards so I ran Warrior with the miniaturize weapon that triggers deathrattles and botface, a bunch of high cost mechs, chemical spill (summon highest minion from hand and deal 5 damage to it), the card that copies mechs to randomly attack and then die, and the rest with draw and support.

Its the BEST right now because everyone thinks warrior is Reno, so they aggressively Dirty Rat and then shocked pikachu face when I deal 32+ damage on turn 6*

*Their dirty rat pulled Testing Dummy. I had a mini weapon and the other copy of the weapon in my hand. Thats 4 deathrattles plus the minion and weapon hit to the face.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited April 25
    I just now figured out how to play Battlegrounds Duels (i.e., find the right button to access that mode). I think they could have made that slightly more obvious.

If you haven't, you should watch Day9's initial return to Hearthstone stream he did a month ago

Like, as someone who hasn't been playing, he was baffled by all the UI/UX changes and design decisions and you can see in real time as his brain just fucking implodes from trying to figure out how to navigate menus to get to the things he wants

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2102250558?t=00h19m00s

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    And Here. We. Go.

Nerfs -

Reno, Lone Ranger - now 9 mana
    Zilliax Deluxe 3000 (Virus Module) - now a 1/4 but no longer has Stealth
    Gaslight Gatekeeper - now 4 mana
    Snake Oil (Generated by Miracle Salesman and Snake Oil Seller) - now 1 mana
    Wheel of DEATH!!! - No text change, but the wheel counts at the start of your turns instead of the end of your turns.
    Forge of Wills - now 4 mana
    Imprisoned Horror - now a 4/4
    Timewinder Zarimi - now requires 8 dragons summoned to activate its battlecry.
    Threads of Despair - now 2 mana
    Sickly Grimewalker - now a 4 mana 3/5
    Sanitize - now 6 mana, forged version now gains 4 armor
    Trial by Fire - now 7 mana
    Boomboss Tho’grun - TNTs now are shuffled into opponent's deck instead of yours, TNTs cannot blow up other TNTs.
    Flash of Lightning - now 3 mana
    Crash of Thunder - now 6 mana
    Jungle Gym - reduced to 2 durability
    Time Warp (Open the Waygate’s Quest Reward) - effect can only happen once per game
    Floop’s Glorious Gloop - Mana crystals now refresh when a minion dies instead of gaining them.
    Snowfall Graveyard - now 5 mana

Buffs -

Manufacturing Error - now 5 mana
    Sunset Volley - now 9 mana
    Mes’Adune the Fractured - now 5 mana
    Woodland Wonders - now summons 2/5 Beetles
    Zok Frogsnout - now 6 mana
    Chia Drake - now a 3/5
    Hagatha the Fabled - now a 4 mana 4/3
    Aftershocks - now costs 4 mana, cost reduces by (1) if you played a spell the previous turn.
    Botface - now a 4/12
    Toyrannosaurus - now a 7/7, deathrattle deals 7 damage to a random enemy.
    Shoplifter Goldbeard - now 5 mana
    The Crystal Cove - the next minion you summon this turn is now a 5/5
    Crane Game - now 8 mana
    Fly Off the Shelves - now 3 mana
    Papercraft Angel - now a 2 mana 2/3
    Treasure Distributor - text now reads "After you summon a Pirate, give it and this minion +1 Attack."
    Splendiferous Whizbang - all Whizbang decks besides Demon Hunter, Warlock, and Mage have been adjusted to be more "Splendiferous"

Reworked Cards -

Gunslinger Kurtrus, Rheastrasza, Theldurin the Lost, Spirit of the Badlands, Elise Badlands Savior, Doctor Holli’dae, Deepminer Brann, Maruut Stonebinder, and Reno Lone Ranger now trigger their battlecries if your deck had no duplicates at the start of the game instead of requiring no duplicates when they're played.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Had a quest to play a bunch of Miniaturize/Mini cards so I ran Warrior with the miniaturize weapon that triggers deathrattles and botface, a bunch of high cost mechs, chemical spill (summon highest minion from hand and deal 5 damage to it), the card that copies mechs to randomly attack and then die, and the rest with draw and support.

Its the BEST right now because everyone thinks warrior is Reno, so they aggressively Dirty Rat and then shocked pikachu face when I deal 32+ damage on turn 6*

*Their dirty rat pulled Testing Dummy. I had a mini weapon and the other copy of the weapon in my hand. Thats 4 deathrattles plus the minion and weapon hit to the face.

Here is a good deck list for if you want to finish the mini quest:

### Mini Quest
    # Class: Rogue
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Pegasus
    #
    # 2x (0) Preparation
    # 2x (0) Shadowstep
    # 2x (1) Bloodrock Co. Shovel
    # 2x (1) Breakdance
    # 2x (1) Frequency Oscillator
    # 2x (1) Stick Up
    # 2x (2) Kaja'mite Creation
    # 2x (2) Kobold Miner
    # 2x (2) Pit Stop
    # 2x (3) Antique Flinger
    # 2x (3) Sweetened Snowflurry
    # 1x (3) Velarok Windblade
    # 1x (4) Drilly the Kid
    # 1x (4) Sonya Waterdancer
    # 1x (4) Speaker Stomper
    # 2x (5) Sandbox Scoundrel
    # 1x (7) Tess Greymane
    # 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
    # 1x (4) Twin Module
    # 1x (5) Perfect Module
    #
    AAECAc78BQaLpAWt6QXQlAaOlgbHpAaKqAYM9p8E958E38MF2dAF6PoFofwFyoMGyJQGyZQGypQGgKMGs6kGAAED9bMGx6QG97MGx6QG7t4Gx6QGAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Would love to see your deck list as well?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

Here is a good deck list for if you want to finish the mini quest:

### Mini Quest
    # Class: Rogue
    # Year of the Pegasus
    #
    # 2x (0) Preparation
    # 2x (0) Shadowstep
    # 2x (1) Bloodrock Co. Shovel
    # 2x (1) Breakdance
    # 2x (1) Frequency Oscillator
    # 2x (1) Stick Up
    # 2x (2) Kaja'mite Creation
    # 2x (2) Kobold Miner
    # 2x (2) Pit Stop
    # 2x (3) Antique Flinger
    # 2x (3) Sweetened Snowflurry
    # 1x (3) Velarok Windblade
    # 1x (4) Drilly the Kid
    # 1x (4) Sonya Waterdancer
    # 1x (4) Speaker Stomper
    # 2x (5) Sandbox Scoundrel
    # 1x (7) Tess Greymane
    # 1x (4) Twin Module
    # 1x (5) Perfect Module
    #
    AAECAc78BQaLpAWt6QXQlAaOlgbHpAaKqAYM9p8E958E38MF2dAF6PoFofwFyoMGyJQGyZQGypQGgKMGs6kGAAED9bMGx6QG97MGx6QG7t4Gx6QGAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Would love to see your deck list as well?

I've played so much rogue in the last few months, I've been trying to branch out. That deck looks fun, tho. Like right up my alley.

Here's the warrior deck I used to complete the mini quest. Its hardly optimized, but the wincons are basically Testing Dummy/Boom Wrench and Inventor Boom. Botface is literally just in there for the quest, not sure how useful his minis are outside of maybe getting a shudderwock to play with Boom.

edit: According to my tracker its sitting at 50% winrate with me playing in Diamond

### Custom Warrior
    # Class: Warrior
    # Year of the Pegasus
    #
    # 2x (1) Garrosh's Gift
    # 2x (2) Instrument Tech
    # 2x (2) Needlerock Totem
    # 2x (2) Quality Assurance
    # 2x (2) Safety Goggles
    # 2x (2) Shield Block
    # 2x (2) Stoneskin Armorer
    # 2x (3) Wreck'em and Deck'em
    # 2x (4) Boom Wrench
    # 1x (5) Blackrock 'n' Roll
    # 2x (5) Chemical Spill
    # 1x (5) Sanitize
    # 1x (6) Khaz'goroth
    # 2x (6) Testing Dummy
    # 1x (1) Recursive Module
    # 1x (5) Perfect Module
    # 2x (7) Containment Unit
    # 1x (8) Inventor Boom
    # 1x (9) Botface
    #
    AAECAYHhBga2xAXG8wWLlAaFoAbHpAaTqAYMjtQEuMUFofoFofsFnJ4Gh6AGj6gGkKgGkagGkqgGlKgG7KkGAAED8LMGx6QG97MGx6QG6t4Gx6QGAAA=
    #

ObiFett on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Making highlander decks immune to being deactivated by plague seems big

antherem on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Reworked Cards -

Gunslinger Kurtrus, Rheastrasza, Theldurin the Lost, Spirit of the Badlands, Elise Badlands Savior, Doctor Holli’dae, Deepminer Brann, Maruut Stonebinder, and Reno Lone Ranger now trigger their battlecries if your deck had no duplicates at the start of the game instead of requiring no duplicates when they're played.

This is interesting. In addition to it being an overt nerf to the singleton payoff cards, I am wondering if this is also a stealth nerf to Plague DK. If it works the way I think it does, it won't matter how many duplicate plagues are shuffled into your deck; so long as it started without any dupes, you're good.

Big changes to a lot of cards. Hopefully this is enough to course correct.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    If you guys are doing the Mech Warrior thing, lemme suggest Mecha-Leaper as an add since that Deathrattle can hit itself and them numbers get big when you Wrench/Immediate Mini/Attack w/ Mini.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited April 25
    >Highlander decks now have the conditional of "If your deck started with no duplicates"
    "Oh cool, non-Highlander decks can't run Reno now just for value

*re-reads that*

>Highlander decks now have the conditional of "If your deck started with no duplicates"
    "MY FUCKING PLAGUE DECK IS WORTHLESS NOW"

Okay but for real that's probably a change for the best. Plague DK vs Reno Anything was such a binary fucking interaction. So on the one hand, more balanced matchups. On the other hand, less Reno counters. Hm.

Boomboss change is FANTASTIC THANK YOU Reno Warrior just hyper-drawing their whole fucking deck and shredding yours was disgusting

>The following cards are adjusted to be stronger:
    >Sunset Volley now costs 9 Mana

EAT SHIT TENTACLE WARRIOR

edit: THANK GOD THEY KILLED OFF ZILLIAX ROGUE TOO the single most uninteractive deck in the universe

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I don't think plague DK had a particularly stellar win rate. I'm seeing 53-54% from a quick search, which don't get me wrong is solid. I think it's just one of those decks that feels really bad to play against. Honestly, as long as there are decks that draw a lot of cards, I think it could still be decent. But people will probably see the hard counter as a killing the deck

What I'm curious about is the direct nerf. How many decks were running cards like Reno and 2x copies of cards? Warlock, I can see. Any others?

• Options
    I don't think plague DK had a particularly stellar win rate. I'm seeing 53-54% from a quick search, which don't get me wrong is solid. I think it's just one of those decks that feels really bad to play against. Honestly, as long as there are decks that draw a lot of cards, I think it could still be decent. But people will probably see the hard counter as a killing the deck

What I'm curious about is the direct nerf. How many decks were running cards like Reno and 2x copies of cards? Warlock, I can see. Any others?

Dragon Druid ran hyper draw and would often slam Reno and the other Highlander payoff card

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Lightning reflex to 3? and 1 mana snakeoils? That's it?

NICE

edit: dang i forgot it killed the free cast on t6 Golganneth. i retract, this sucks!

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Nice, had a golden Boomboss so I dusted him, recrafted and now can craft another legendary. Plus had another golden rare and a bunch of common nerfs as well.

Think I'll keep Zarimi and Wheel of Death still.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I got to Legend this month with Plague DK, not because it was particularly good, but because fuck Reno decks and Wheel Warlock.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Hunter got off pretty light. Just the long term value of Jungle Gym got nerfed. More often than not my games vs. Hunter have been over before the third charge could even be used anyway. But with all the random card buffs it's hard to guess how the meta might shift around to handle Hunter.

• Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Nice, had a golden Boomboss so I dusted him, recrafted and now can craft another legendary. Plus had another golden rare and a bunch of common nerfs as well.

Think I'll keep Zarimi and Wheel of Death still.
    As always my recommendation is dust first, then decide if you want to recraft it later. Wheel Lock in particular I think got demolished.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I may nuke Wheel after all and trade it in for Reno which will always see play.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Oh and a friendly reminder if you're dusting nerfed cards via searching for "refund", don't forget to change your collection from Standard to Wild since a few Wild cards got nerfed.

• Options
    Couple thousand dust out of those nerfs. Kept a few, but also had bonus golden copies of several cards, so that was great.

• Options
    if you're wondering if Reno Warrior is bad now:

the answer is no they got stronger

fuck

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So far I'm Plat 8 and 30-1...........dare I go for it and try and actually get Legendary?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    You could definitely do it in 5 days if you keep up a strong win streak like that.

• Options
    Go for it if you want, just know that the competition will get much more serious in diamond.

• Options
    When I logged into the game, I got prompted to take a survey. The survey topic was unrelated, but at the end it asked if I had any other general feedback for the HS team, and I made sure to air those grievances about the weekly quest changes.

• Options
    I've still got to get 10 wins this week, I thought they had changed that.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They did!

They made it so that it wasn't 15 anymore. :)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    They did!

Victory!

• Options
    I got three packs today from the special event. If I don't open these packs and keep them until the next mini set launches, the packs should contain nothing but new mini cards, right?

• Options
    What I'm asking is the cards in the packs aren't determined until the second you actually open them, right? Only then is when they're randomly generated.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 26
    First time I paired up against a wizz deck as a wizz deck. Hero (me) vs. rainbow (oppo). Winner: rainbow.

Also new in patch: Wizz actually uses favorite hero portraits rather than default.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    They did!

Ugh. For some reason I thought they changed it to 10 the first time.

God what a bunch of stupid bullshit. It makes me wonder if Hearthstone is really so desperate for cash.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What I'm asking is the cards in the packs aren't determined until the second you actually open them, right? Only then is when they're randomly generated.

Correct

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!