Options

[Hearthstone] Arfus is the bestest boy

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    We're talking about Hearthstone here. Most of your opponents are playing predictable decks. Whether you can beat them comes down to rock-paper-scissors, if you drew a good curve/answers, and then the usual card RNG. It's not like anyone is seeing a Demon Hunter and thinking "I'd better Mulligan for some late game drops here!"

DH goes further in that regard where you know he needs to pop it's weapon early otherwise turn 3/4 to do it's crazy drop of stats rounds.
    If I play my Acolyte or Grimewalker turn 3 for instance, that would mean they either kill it, messing up their big turn, or allow me to gain advantage.
    How does them killing your minion mess up their turn?

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    We're talking about Hearthstone here. Most of your opponents are playing predictable decks. Whether you can beat them comes down to rock-paper-scissors, if you drew a good curve/answers, and then the usual card RNG. It's not like anyone is seeing a Demon Hunter and thinking "I'd better Mulligan for some late game drops here!"

DH goes further in that regard where you know he needs to pop it's weapon early otherwise turn 3/4 to do it's crazy drop of stats rounds.
    If I play my Acolyte or Grimewalker turn 3 for instance, that would mean they either kill it, messing up their big turn, or allow me to gain advantage.
    How does them killing your minion mess up their turn?

Because they need to use at least an extra mana crystal to do that, which means they cannot play their 3 cost demon turn 3, follow up with 1 cost demon, etc. It's much easier to stop them thx to how predictable their game plan is.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    It sounds like you're describing a rather specific scenario here. The DH is going second and has the grasp to coin out on turn 2, along with not having a 1/2 or 2/2 to play on turn 1 and/or the DK also has a perfect curve. This feels like it's going to be maybe 1/4 of games, statistically?

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I'm describing the best scenario a DH can have. The second they play the weapon you know their complete next turn, and that's when I play either of those cards (if available ofcourse). It doesn't matter who the coin has.

There are other options ofcourse: If I have the weapon I'll play that or if I have the mana spell that kills their 6/5 Demon and gains me life.
    Those 2 are obvious plays, but the two minions played on turn 3 aren't so obvious to play for some people as you don't seem to get an immediate advantage, when in fact it can change/slow the turn for the DH immensely.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Almost pulling the trigger on crafting Zarimi since it's almost sure to be next on the nerf block once Dragon Priest is nuking the world in a week or three.
    They'll probably nerf priest via cheaper (common/rare) cards.

Of the two meta-breaker VS decks for this week, I am missing one legend from each and Zarimi seemed more likely to be a refund option than Jive Insect.

Honestly torn - both seem fun.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited April 12
    Just bought three packs on a whim, opened a signature Sky Mother Aviana and a Golden Plush Tiger which of course was an auto 400 dust.

Absolutely cooking here with pack opens.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I had the perfect Prison of Yogg yesterday. Cleared the enemy board, buffed one of my minions, drew 2 cards, and threw a fireball in the enemy player's face.

This is the first time all 4 spells worked towards my advantage.

• Options
    Seeing word that this patch reportedly bumps the reward for Wins for both the weekly TB/BG/Arena and Ranked quests to 2500 and 3000xp.

It also bumps the requirement from 5 to FIFTEEN because math is apparently hard.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Yeah the numbers I’m seeing are doubling or tripling the requirements for, at best, 30% more xp.

One of the devs/CM’s is already on Reddit saying he’s giving feedback that people are unhappy with the change, but that said I can’t help but wonder if this is an attempt at anchoring us so we think “only 50-100% is better than 100-200% jumps!”

• Options
    I don't understand how Team 5 can still make ridiculous changes like this without comprehending how they will be perceived. And, like, if you're going to do something like this, maybe actually explain the change ahead of time so you can start getting feedback before it's already in the game and you have to go into full damage control mode?
    Saw this in the patch notes:
    [Progression] Some Daily and Weekly Quests have been adjusted to be harder to complete but will grant more XP.
    Would have been nice if they'd said a little about it instead of just the vague blurb down in the bug fix section.
    Prophetic.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 16
    Been climbing to plat with this cheap shaman deck i cobbled together from old cards.

It's actually pretty high skill ceiling and a lot of fun. sitting at 75% winrate over 35 games.

Basically you try to aggro them to around 20 health while being all kinds of annoying. And then you lethal them over 1 or 2 turns.

### shaman things
    # Class: Shaman
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Pegasus
    #
    # 2x (1) Flowrider
    # 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
    # 2x (1) Lightning Reflexes
    # 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
    # 2x (1) Novice Zapper
    # 1x (1) Overdraft
    # 2x (1) Pop-Up Book
    # 1x (2) Ancestral Knowledge
    # 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
    # 2x (2) Cactus Cutter
    # 2x (2) Flash of Lightning
    # 2x (2) Gold Panner
    # 2x (2) Kobold Geomancer
    # 2x (2) Needlerock Totem
    # 1x (3) Thorim, Stormlord
    # 2x (5) Crash of Thunder
    # 1x (5) Ghost Writer
    # 1x (6) Golganneth, the Thunderer
    #
    AAECAc+LBQaXoATIxwWN9QXC+QW/ngbmngYM6ucDo58E+Z8ExNAFze4FyvgFy/gFs40GhY4GzpwGnJ4GqKcGAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    wthe81op1j0f.png
    One day I'll need to work through these, but it is not this day.

• Options
    edited April 16
    Man you really don't like Arena or are stupidly good at it.

But i never see you entering arenas so I'm guessing the first :-)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Arena is a fucking mess

• Options
    edited April 16
    it is... the decks i face are like ...absurd

Like i draw a 87 % deathknight deck and still get rolfstomped.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Also am i the only one that is done with plague DK?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So, on the one hand I've not lost a single ranked game after not trying hard for the last few years, and I could probably finally make it to legend. On the other hand they decided to make a mess of weekly quests so I'd never finish them in time.......why do they do stupid things like this only when I get interested again.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 16
    What the hell, i was playing a game, literally swinging lethal (while hoping he quit already) when hearthstone just quit and said "time to update buddy!"

edit: And i didn't get my win.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

I'm experiencing a weird bug where I select a DK plague deck and it doesn't connect to opponents. All of my other decks with other classes work normally but DK starts searching for a match and then spits out "An error occurred. Try again in a few minutes."

You jinxed my deck!

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

I'm experiencing a weird bug where I select a DK plague deck and it doesn't connect to opponents. All of my other decks with other classes work normally but DK starts searching for a match and then spits out "An error occurred. Try again in a few minutes."

You jinxed my deck!
    I've had that happen before. You'll probably need to remake that deck, delete the old one, and queue with the new one.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    xcyl5uwcwjiz.png

Pirates and Naga are an absolutely busted game pairing this patch, and this snowball is all achievable as early as tier 4. Just pumping the naga for upwards of dozens of tavern spells per turn and just dramatically ballooning the engineer, and because all of the +gold and +max gold tavern spells are tier 2 you end up with like 30+ gold per turn. And the dragons are considered pirates so you can use the health battlecry pirate to turn them into cinderblocks too.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 17

No. I'm pretty tired of that deck, and I'm not happy we've got another year of it. It's not even that good of a deck, but it just feels terrible to play against.

Frost Plague is so powerful and drawing one feels absolutely miserable. Even one of those might cost you the game.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Are you mktherfucking serious with these weekly quests? Like, WHAT?! Total neutering of the casual player.

sig.gif

• Options
    Hearthstone reddit is rioting over these changes. It's a thing of beauty.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Are you mktherfucking serious with these weekly quests? Like, WHAT?! Total neutering of the casual player.

How much you wanna bet they increased it to 15 so that when they drop it down to 10* after all the complaints, then they'll seem like the good guy?

*like what was probably originally planned

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    What even is the value of doing that? Slowing down the season pass grind for... what? To sell more packs?

Hearthstone is a 10-year old game. This doesn't seem like a great way to encourage its longevity.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

How much you wanna bet they increased it to 15 so that when they drop it down to 10* after all the complaints, then they'll seem like the good guy?

Probably, but the whole thing is absurd, especially after an expansion has launched. I don’t buy Tavern Passes, but I can only imagine how furious people are that a mere three weeks after the launch, the quests change. Maybe they’re already playing above and beyond the requirements of a quest, but man.

sig.gif

• Options
    edited April 17
    What even is the value of doing that? Slowing down the season pass grind for... what? To sell more packs?

Hearthstone is a 10-year old game. This doesn't seem like a great way to encourage its longevity.

Yeah, they probably determined that F2P players were earning more gold than they wanted them to and found that this was the single most effective way to slow them down.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

shareholders are not interested in long term viability of a product

• Options

If they do a two steps forward one step back deal I'm still going to feel salty.

• Options
    edited April 17

Yeah, they probably determined that F2P players were earning more gold than they wanted them to and found that this was the single most effective way to slow them down.

I was always keen to drop $20 on the season pass but now I’m not sure it’s good value. So it has a trickle down effect that pushes me away from the game, because I can’t buy as many packs or the mini set with gold, and if I can’t play with new cards I’m less incentivized to play at all. That’s bad for the ecosystem, and if it happens on a large scale, bad for their ability to monetize.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

shareholders are not interested in long term viability of a product

I don’t think you can entirely blame the shareholders for something like this. Blizzard has been a public company for 16 years. Quality product vs. stockholder value is not a new problem for them.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    blizzard has only been owned by microsoft for a few months though (taps forehead)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Sure, but the tension between money-man bullshittery and game development is effectively the same. The board of directors is not telling Team 5 what to monetize.

If shareholder interference is what’s happening though, I’d suspect it has less to do with MS specifically and more with weaker management at Blizzard.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    (Posts meme of Bobby Kotick bravely holding a slew of anti-player decisions from Team 5 at bay)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    tried a game of duos

got matched against a disconnected sir finley

his "choose a hero power" screen popped up over top of him. the combat couldn't end. i was trapped in an eternal battle with no one and nothing. i quit, came back. was attacked by another team. lost health. returned to the screen of finley's hero power choice. i was in an eternal purgatory unable to escape

so maybe could have used a moment more to cook

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Blizzard just posted an update that "it's clear they pushed too far" with the quest changes and that they'll "keep the exp increase but lower the requirements to somewhere between where it is now and where it used to be"

Fuckin called it

• Options
    edited April 18
    ronzo wrote:
    One of the devs/CM’s is already on Reddit saying he’s giving feedback that people are unhappy with the change, but that said I can’t help but wonder if this is an attempt at anchoring us so we think “only 50-100% is better than 100-200% jumps!”
    LOL OF COURSE

bucvgw8ap0md.png

forty on
  • Options
    Blizzard just posted an update that "it's clear they pushed too far" with the quest changes and that they'll "keep the exp increase but lower the requirements to somewhere between where it is now and where it used to be"

Fuckin called it
    Orwell wrote:
    For the moment he had shut his ears to the remoter noises and was listening to the stuff that streamed out of the telescreen. It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be REDUCED to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.

• Options
    Thank you for listening to the feedback, Big Blizzard, and giving us extra gold and experience for our dailies.

• Options
    "Many players competed their weekly quests through their regular play without even really engaging with the weekly quest system" is such a load of "you non-paying, freeloading jerks out there have only yourselves to blame for this change"