As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2022] Officially dead, but will return in 2023 AHAHAHAHA no it won't.

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited March 2022 in Games and Technology
Crossposted from Undead Scottsman in the COVID thread:
Futterish wrote:
This is spin. I heard from sources in mid-November, before Omicron's emergence at the end of that month that the ESA had abandoned their dates for the LACC.
Sounds like E3 is all but dead. Can someone else come up with an excuse for everyone to go to LA in June?

BTW, I 100% believe @Futterish's reporting that the ESA gave up on E3 months ago (there would otherwise have been dates on their website) over the PR fluff piece that hit today. No way was this a knee-jerk reaction to Omicron. It's E3 throwing in the towel

Jason Schreier writes for Bloomberg.
[/quote]

Totally agree the timing is very very weird, considering there's lots of time between now and then and there's still plenty of hope Omicron would burn itself out relatively quickly.

And yes, Jason Schreier is probably the best vidja game reporter out there.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    What is ESA?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    What is ESA?

Not much, what's ESA with you?

Real answer: Entertainment Software Association, industry trade group for the videogames: https://www.theesa.com/

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The real spin here is that E3 will not answer questions about whether there will even be a digital event. Venturebeat jumped the gun a bit here.

• Options
    Meanwhile Geoff Keighley posted this within hours of the E3 story:

Summer Game Fest returns summer 2022

I'll be genuinely surprised if E3 can manage to pull anything together considering their endless string of fuckups has annoyed just about everyone.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, the current scuttlebutt is that the ESA isn't even trying to do an online event. We could very well be looking at the death of E3 this year.

It's not surprising though, Sony proved they didn't need E3 in the slightest, and I only think Nintendo has stuck around because they put out directs every few months anyway so might as well time one at E3. I feel like Xbox would continue to stick around, if only to wallow in the big empty space that Sony abdicated. EA Play was already divorced from E3 officially, and at some point these companies will just decide that sharing the spotlight is an old style of doing things.

I'll miss the big blitz of information, and the gathering of industry people. (RIP Giant Bomb E3 Couch). Curious what longterm effect this is going to have on the industry now that big networking events are no longer happening.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I feel very fortunate that I got to go to E3 twice in the quote-unquote "glory years". When it was at its ridiculous, over the top best. When just the screen at the EA booth apparently cost a million bucks.

And when Kentia Hall was still a thing.

• Options
    I've heard that, at this point, the biggest loss from E3 going under is that it was a hell of an industry networking event.

I'm not sure if there's anything like it out there - PAX Dev maybe, but I don't know if it's got nearly the scale of industry representation, plus press is banned so they're out of luck.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    GDC

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    At this point, I’m just expecting Devolver to announce they’re hosting their own E3-style event just for the hell of it and everyone can come hang out and dunk on Dave Lang.

Probably would have a better track record of not leaking media personal information to the world as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I've heard that, at this point, the biggest loss from E3 going under is that it was a hell of an industry networking event.

I'm not sure if there's anything like it out there - PAX Dev maybe, but I don't know if it's got nearly the scale of industry representation, plus press is banned so they're out of luck.

TGS?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Tokyo game show probably serves a similar function for the japanese industry yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Honestly, in this day and age where two of the big three have decided to put out their own digital events throughout the year, E3 is a relic that I'm surprised survived this long. MS even dabbled in doing their own digital showings over the last couple years. The big companies don't need E3 to advertise their games, but unfortunately, E3 needs them. The third party companies cannot hold E3 up on their own. Big stage events just are not viable any longer nor are they necessary.

I'll miss having that E3 week that was all planed out, but not surprising that it might be gone from here on out.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Tokyo game show probably serves a similar function for the japanese industry yeah

Is GamesCom or whatever it was called in Germany still a thing?

• Options
    I vaguely have the impression gamescom is more of an esports event than an industry event but I'm not sure, never paid much attention to it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I won't be too sad to see E3 go if there's a good enough replacement. I hope there's less bullshit in the Summer Game Show.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Yeah, as long as someone's putting up some sort of show in the Summer months and we get a nice concentration of trailers and reveals, then it doesn't really matter if it's called E3 or not.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think there's basically 2 parts that we've identified here

The marketing bonanza that most of us care about, the consumer-facing stuff - that can easily be moved (and has been moved already, mostly) to an online format. Sure, there's something about that presentation that loses its charm by being a bunch of polished, prerecorded videos that a Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo technician pushes a button to stream rather than a live production with all the stress of a production team working to the bone to stop from all of it falling flat on its face. Having a bunch of devs and executives live on stage to a cheering audience makes all of it feel like a bigger deal than it actually is, and I will miss some of the fun of that.
    But it's entirely possible to still make that period of June the same week where the videogame industry pulls out all the stops to amplify the noise for big announcements. I think in a sense Keighley saw the writing on the wall and took the opportunity to get his foot in the door, and even though I found the results of his last efforts pretty disinteresting he's in a position to really pick up the slack.

The networking opportunities in the backrooms are a tougher proposition and would probably require other adjacent expos to pick up the slack. Of course, those kinds of in-person opportunities are kind of moot in a pre-post-COVID environment, but I'd hazard a guess the general industry would like to have return to that kind of function in the future and it's clear that the ESA themselves are throwing in the hat on that.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think there's basically 2 parts that we've identified here

The marketing bonanza that most of us care about, the consumer-facing stuff - that can easily be moved (and has been moved already, mostly) to an online format. Sure, there's something about that presentation that loses its charm by being a bunch of polished, prerecorded videos that a Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo technician pushes a button to stream rather than a live production with all the stress of a production team working to the bone to stop from all of it falling flat on its face. Having a bunch of devs and executives live on stage to a cheering audience makes all of it feel like a bigger deal than it actually is, and I will miss some of the fun of that.
    But it's entirely possible to still make that period of June the same week where the videogame industry pulls out all the stops to amplify the noise for big announcements. I think in a sense Keighley saw the writing on the wall and took the opportunity to get his foot in the door, and even though I found the results of his last efforts pretty disinteresting he's in a position to really pick up the slack.

The networking opportunities in the backrooms are a tougher proposition and would probably require other adjacent expos to pick up the slack. Of course, those kinds of in-person opportunities are kind of moot in a pre-post-COVID environment, but I'd hazard a guess the general industry would like to have return to that kind of function in the future and it's clear that the ESA themselves are throwing in the hat on that.

Don't forget the value of having a bunch of devs and journalists in one place, making it easy for interviews and previews to happen. It provided an important facet of E3, allowing for narratives outside of what was shown off during the press events.

Also we may never get another Phil Spencer/Jeff Gerstmann Giant Bomb interview and that sucks.

• Options
    There's also the real reason E3 was created, which was to connect game publishers with retailers to try to get them excited about selling their stuff. But that's much less important now that so much has moved to digital and the big publishers are putting out much fewer games per year. That might put the squeeze on the people who are putting out limited edition runs of indie games, but that's a fairly recent phenomenon that might not have relied on E3 much at all.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's also the real reason E3 was created, which was to connect game publishers with retailers to try to get them excited about selling their stuff. But that's much less important now that so much has moved to digital and the big publishers are putting out much fewer games per year. That might put the squeeze on the people who are putting out limited edition runs of indie games, but that's a fairly recent phenomenon that might not have relied on E3 much at all.

Also, I think at this point game production has split into the major companies who can get all the shelf space they want and indies who are almost purely digital. There's some outliers to that still in the middle, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Welp, it's dead. But the ESA is insisting it will return!
    "We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience.

"We look forward to presenting E3 to fans around the world live from Los Angeles in 2023."

If they can't get their act together this year, what makes them think next year will be any different?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ok now bring back Space World.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Ok now bring back Space World.

I thought Victoria Beckham wasn’t on board.

oh Space World

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I wish they'd reboot the Spice Girls, they were great.