As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cleaning & Decluttering] Tips, Tricks, and Dismantling Our Depression Nests

13»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I like stuff too! Just, once it becomes inconvenient, it turns in to trash as far as I'm concerned.

If I didn't have wall hooks for my ukuleles on the way then two out of three of them would be in the dumpster.

Quid on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If I could, I'd put up tons of shelves. In fact, in my last apartment I did put up some large shelves, because space was at such an extreme premium in that place. But here, I've spent 8 years basically trying to avoid damaging anything. I'd love to be able to show off things better. But again, that circles back to showing off what I care about.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    oh my fucking god, just putting my stationery away (not decluttering it because I don't have time for that today) is giving me the sweats. I'm going to have to throw a lot of it away or give it to people.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I posted about this in D&D chat a bit, but I finally splurged and got some monitor arms for my desk. After initial setup on Wednesday, I used the last bit to actually clean my desk and re-cable everything.

In the process, I've learned my cables are too short. 6' cables just aren't long enough to reach my power strip in the place I want it to be, so I likely need to pick up some 10' cables. Alternatively, I could get a new desk, which has been on my mind, but I'm not ready for a large furniture purchase at this point.

So for now, I'll just have the ugly power strip on my desk. Ah well.

I also need to deep clean my keyboard.

nI1Qmxjh.jpg

J9W4636h.jpg

YVbQDzIh.jpg

Edit: A friend suggested maybe mounting the power stuff on the back of my desk, using Command velcro strips. I think this might work! Just gotta see how many I've got, or if I need to go out and get some.
    (You can also see why I am not mounting my monitor arms on the back of my desk.)

BpDi2IPh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It has begun!

I sold a few trade paperbacks, a project mountain bike that never happened, and I've listed some posters I've had sitting in my flatfile way too long.

Yes I did buy a new bike frame, but I have a specific plan for that even if it might take a month to get everything swapped out and sold.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ... Good lord, I made that post 3 weeks ago?

• Options
    Sold about half the comic books and posted 3 posters from my flat file. But then I found another box of comic books so I'm going through that next.

Next week I'm going through and putting up all my old star wars lego sets, no booklets or boxes but hopefully some of them should still go for more than the .10 a block standard.

I like to ART
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I finished my previous house-project (new kitchen shelves) so my next project is going through all the various miscellaneous spaces that we've accumulated and getting rid of the dumb crap that lives there. Closets, junk drawers, other closets, other junk drawers... there's a surprising number of them. This will take a while.

• Options
    I've felt very drained after work the last week.

Today, which I spent doing theoretical lookup and research and not having a commute, makes me feel quite a bit more energetic. So I think I'm gonna do a house cleaning pass tonight. old dishes, food wrappers, put away stuff, all that.

• Options
    Do you all have suggestions on what to do with comics I can't / aren't worth selling?

Maybe just make a bulk post of everything else and see if someone bites?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Sure you could donate them somewhere.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Do you all have suggestions on what to do with comics I can't / aren't worth selling?

my dad would take them =p

(I'm not kidding, his collection rivals most comicbook stores)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

If they ain't got too many guts and boobies in them you can check to see if your local library wants them. Free Comic Book Day is on May 7th and a lot of libraries do upcycling craft programs as well as just giving out free donated comics.

Edit: note that guts and boobies aren't dealbreakers for the collection, but most of the crafts tend to skew younger so the librarian would probably appreciate a heads up.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hit a small speed-bump in my continuous organization effort.

I inherited an old Bell & Howell digital multimeter from my Dad when he died, but I just don't know what to do with it. It's mainly an ornamental piece because I have a modern Fluke. It'd be really hard to sell it, or donate it, or junk it at this time.

pspzntt0v7kz.jpg

If you gaze long enough into a Nixie tube, the Nixie tube will gaze back into you.

• Options
    This is something I'm struggling with too. Dad has some amazing gear... that is quite outdated. And I have no clue what we should do with it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hit a small speed-bump in my continuous organization effort.

I inherited an old Bell & Howell digital multimeter from my Dad when he died, but I just don't know what to do with it. It's mainly an ornamental piece because I have a modern Fluke. It'd be really hard to sell it, or donate it, or junk it at this time.

pspzntt0v7kz.jpg

If you gaze long enough into a Nixie tube, the Nixie tube will gaze back into you.

This is amazing. I want it.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

If they ain't got too many guts and boobies in them you can check to see if your local library wants them. Free Comic Book Day is on May 7th and a lot of libraries do upcycling craft programs as well as just giving out free donated comics.

Edit: note that guts and boobies aren't dealbreakers for the collection, but most of the crafts tend to skew younger so the librarian would probably appreciate a heads up.

Guts & Boobies sounds like a roller derby team.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah that DMM is absolutely awesome. Either find a loving private home for it or keep it.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Yeah that DMM is absolutely awesome. Either find a loving private home for it or keep it.

Definitely one of these two options.

It's just a difficult piece to deal with - it sort of works (need to check how well still, and I think the 5 on the right most digit display is out), but not as well as the fluke, and it's also pretty sentimental. Why do things have to sometimes come with feelings (is part of the lament)?

• Options
    edited October 2022
    So, coming back to try to keep up with the thread and attempting clean living. Tomorrow I’m hoping to do an okay job cleaning and documenting it for the thread. Trying to get my bud to pick my dog up so she does not inhale all the chemicals I’m going to use tomorrow. I got gloves, masks, eye goggles. Just hope I have enough paper towels.

Hope to be this guy by the end of the day tomorrow: https://www.reddit.com/r/NeckbeardNests/comments/yf9pv8/japanese_divorcee_turns_entire_room_into_trash/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

ETA: turns out this is a Japanese cleaning service with a youtube channel! For those interested:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCjJcNLCdYJ7xqzzStPHX6oQ

Mim on
  • Options
    Okay, depression nest photos:

If you click, just be aware that I do mean depression nest.
    lrzv72b0zcvw.jpeg
    6sohvlwkezno.jpeg
    qgdc5merouky.jpeg
    r32lsnea5tt6.jpeg
    rp5q9ubcx5wp.jpeg
    ba0yat2yny3p.jpeg
    axp7cylbnuu4.jpeg

Unfortunately, my friend didn’t pick my dog up until 4, and then wanted me to come to his place by 7 for dinner.

I didn’t get much done today, but my main focus was to get all the clothes in one area out of the way so I only had to deal with trash/objects.

Because I have a rodent infestation in my entire apartment building, at first I was being kind of cavalier about trying to clean them by using a broom/vacuum, as that was how my family dealt with droppings when our home got invaded in philly. But today I did the disinfectant, wait 10 min, then picked up with paper towels. Of course gloves and a mask were worn as well as protective glasses.

All clothes got crammed into the closet:
    odlxtdve9ect.jpeg

So now tomorrow I deal with all of this:
    85s0cqkl6z3d.jpeg
    4sm9bjxu103yt3dlgmvcjm2z.jpeg
    .jpeg
    5pk9icd0o50r.jpeg
    0bsbwe2d3rrj.jpeg

I also had Aurikatariina playing because I heard body doubling can help people with ADHD complete tasks. It did seem to help! I’m leaving my friend’s (and my dog with him) house at 4 or 5 in the morning to go back to my place and continue cleaning/using disinfectant. I’m going to make a bottle of odoban, because the spray disinfectant I have isn’t spraying enough product for my liking >_>

Also hopefully get some laundry done, as a man and his son took all four washing machines, and his son (who might be 4 or 5) pushed me out of the elevator by my butt because he was an impatient little asshole. His dad apologized, but that kid is on my shit list.

• Options
    You got this, Mim!

Do you have anyone who can help? If you have a rat problem, you might need to get some backup to help keep you on task.

I keep saying I'm gonna clean my tables...

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    You got this, Mim!

Do you have anyone who can help? If you have a rat problem, you might need to get some backup to help keep you on task.

I keep saying I'm gonna clean my tables...

I would never let someone in my house to clean. I would feel emotionally violated and overwhelmed and controlling. It has to be me.

Having the youtube up with Aurikatariina cleaning keeps me on task, which is nice. I also think leaving early in the morning from my friend’s house, and not taking my dog with me will help a lot. The laundry room might be empty. I plan to just use two washers instead of all 4, because some things need to be double washed, and also I think using all 8 machines simultaneously will wipe me out. @Athenor

• Options
    Ah, didn't mean to put you into an uncomfortable position! I just know that.. well, if I ever get over my own issues, I can get others to help as well. It can be so overwhelming... >.<

I know I've extolled this in the past, but have you looked at the Finch app? Ahava turned me onto it, and it's great for tracking and supporting small wins. I've even built a couple habits from it. It's a nice little self-care app and you don't really need the paid version to get use out of it.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

I would never let someone in my house to clean. I would feel emotionally violated and overwhelmed and controlling. It has to be me.

Hard same. My siblings that have their own places all have cleaners that pop in once a week/two weeks and recommend it to everyone.
    I think I'd actually just scrub the place to within an inch of it's life before they came, apologise profusely for how bad it is, then spend the entire day trying to convince my skeleton not just leap out of my body out of shame and embarrassment at the whole ordeal.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ah, didn't mean to put you into an uncomfortable position! I just know that.. well, if I ever get over my own issues, I can get others to help as well. It can be so overwhelming... >.<

I know I've extolled this in the past, but have you looked at the Finch app? Ahava turned me onto it, and it's great for tracking and supporting small wins. I've even built a couple habits from it. It's a nice little self-care app and you don't really need the paid version to get use out of it.

No uncomfortable position! Just explaining my absolute horror-filled reaction to someone coming to my place. I also think it’s tied up in shame. Like how could I, a grown-ass adult, let things get this bad?

• Options
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »

Hard same. My siblings that have their own places all have cleaners that pop in once a week/two weeks and recommend it to everyone.
    I think I'd actually just scrub the place to within an inch of it's life before they came, apologise profusely for how bad it is, then spend the entire day trying to convince my skeleton not just leap out of my body out of shame and embarrassment at the whole ordeal.

Yeah, and it’s also harder because I KNOW I’m capable of a deep satisfying clean, but lately it has seemed impossible.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Started watching this video:

https://youtu.be/2yvkon5RPQ8

Feeling more inspired today after a small little emotional flareup in the middle of the night. This video shows that anything can be turned around! ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Onward to cleaning. Hopefully a decent update later tonight.

Mim on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    we're moving

I threw away like 50 pounds of books and still have so many books

thankfully, that's pretty much all I have, books and my computer but the computer's not getting packed up, just gonna place it carefully in my car

also man was my room dusty

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The books that I buy:
    slyh7hqzcbux.png

The same books when I'm moving:
    a5b4k6u5a865.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone have advice for pushing past the 1st hour of cleaning/decluttering? It seems like I Can get rid of the surface stuff easily enough, but the deep cleaning suddenly causes my mind to shut down.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    What works for me sometimes: make a list of every step in the process. Notice which step(s) make your brain go "NOPE." Can you figure out what it is about that step that's blocking you? If so, great! Now you have a concrete problem to solve. If not, go back to the Bad Step and make an even more detailed list of every step in that step. Repeat until you isolate the thing that's making you shut down.

For me it usually comes down to one of three things:
    1. Task is too big right now. Solution: break it into smaller tasks. Repeat recursively as necessary.
    2. I don't have the right tools/equipment for this. Solution: acquire the tools/equipment, or outsource the task.
    3. It turns out I don't actually know how to do this. Solution: Google and/or YouTube... or call mom. (Let's be real, how many of us were actually taught how to deep-clean things when we were growing up? Yeah, it turns out that's an actual skill that you don't just magically acquire on reaching adulthood, despite what commercials for cleaning products would have us believe.)

Calica on
  • Options
    Okay, I spent most of the time cleaning mouse poop up, which didn’t really change the landscape enough to take photos.

However, I am off this Friday so that means another day to spend time going through individual bins to throw things away and pare shit down enough to make a significant difference.

I gotta throw out my acoustic guitar because mice pooped in it. I was going to attempt to clean it out, but then saw there was a significant crack in the bottom, either from mice or it being dropped. RIP acoustic.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Awesome'd for the progress, not for the guitar :frowning:

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Hoarding
    ----
    I have no idea what I was going to expound on with that.

Anyway, crossposting but trimmed a bit from the craft & capitalism threads, with some bonus that could go in the plant thread (and may yet, who knows!)
    pooka wrote: »
    Could equally go in the decor/declutter thread, but, meh.
    So I got what are technically kitchen utensil holders
    o8ozviecsn41.png
    and scrounged some tension rods so they could become window coverings.
    49i069rpkct8.jpg

I am far too pleased with them and myself.
    If only because it's a significant aesthetic upgrade from the pleated offcuts there before. (Though the cat ADORES burrowing and pouncing into and out of them, doing so as soon as I dropped them in a heap on the floor. So now I have a literal pile of what is rightfully trash that I can never dispose of.)

The inciting thought was craft storage, but! Next phase is making some nosegays from dried grasses, seedpods, and a few sprigs of flowers to tuck into the pockets. Got paper bags, kraft tape, & twine, might make little wrapped bouquets for a less hedgewitch vibe, but y'know, also gotta live my truth.

Trying to figure out where my balance is for minimalist/maximalist in the various domains; the flowers might be too much there, but I can hang them elsewhere, if so.

pooka wrote: »
    And in the opposite of decluttering advice, I've been getting organizational bits 'n bobs to fit the space we're in (rather than decluttering entirely and then looking at storage etc) -- we're hoping to buy a house, but that's unlikely for at least the next year or two.
    So in the confluence of another organizational kick, greater self-knowledge & desire to feel enriched rather than exhausted by my living spaces, some fatalistic gather ye rosebuds impulse, and with absolutely no methodology beyond measuring various hollows in cupboards, bookcases, and between walls/frames, I have bought a lot of tension rods from Daiso.

As far as organizational kit goes, pretty affordable. (10 so far, of various sizes.) Yesterday was a productive trip to Ikea. I am a regular haunt of Tuesday Morning and the like. Organizing is one of my less successful hobbies, adjacent to interior decorating, but I'm still learning to articulate my style and needs versus my expectations and ability to create a style.

I'm ping ponging between rooms, but I'm just gonna call that the ADHD strength of simul-tasking since any progress is progress so long as I'm not making it worse. And so far it's small improvements like putting actual curtains up in this (... well, okay, not traditional curtains, but they function as such and were deliberately bought for that window) one living room window that you see first thing, and a floor lamp (& power strip for it), and a new candle lantern for the table (practical given last week's outages, but a pretty I'd been eyeing) ...and all of these in the one corner that I've been able to maintain as 'nice', ie, clutter free and aesthetically restful, (so much for no method to the madness, but it's all responsive to filling requirements for the space, not long-term planning per se. Improv, not a fixed script, so I guess that's just internalized neurotypical judgment, hm.) And the tension rods are otherwise to create spots to hang spray bottles (one is holding dried plants), and or become shelves for bottles, trays, and miscellany. I also got a tiered thing for canned goods in the pantry from the Container Store, but that's really filling in a blank since I did a lot of work on that last year and previously; that store can be inspiring but is absolutely too spendy for my blood for larger buys. The one room I'm not working on at all is the office, and I haven't touched it because it's always been a problem, and my partner just kinda piled stuff on my chair and filled it further while I was in New Zealand. So he will help me tackle that, maybe after I've got a better handle on the rest of the house because paperwork is a nightmare.
    Guides on how long to store stuff are imperative, because we both just have no idea, and have held onto paperwork longer than needed just to be 'safe'. We'll figure it out.

I am very out of sight, out of mind, but I also find too much visual stimuli to be overwhelming and stressful; I can have some OCDlike tendencies that spiral into hyperfocus or perfectionism, and the OOS,OOM coping can itself be anxiety-related. So trying to balance those needs got a boost, by looking at the spaces I currently maintain organizational systems & find satisfying, remembering my favorite homes & why, and watching some Clutterbug and other organizing videos for ideas -- and I've reminded myself of good solutions to overcome my perfectionism, eg, containers with filtered visibility a la translucence, partial concealment, or loose weaves.

I also spilled water on a countertop full of junk the other night including paper goods, so y'know, motivation and opportunity to figure out what works.

So, along with stuff to go in cupboards and following up on some successful test case products, yesterday I got some baskets (to mildly separate hair stuff within, but put it all in One Thing With A Lid) and a bookcase insert (to tidy incoming paperwork, so it doesn't pile and 'disappear' from action while simultaneously adding clutter-stress). These will be functional, but also make me happy to look at; I have absolutely made do most of my life, and there is some pleasure in the cleverness of improvising that encourages my eclectic sense of style, but there's also much of "I'm poor and cannot afford a full solution, and not clever enough to come up with something pleasing, so I will limp by" that I am slowly replacing. Thus, a capitalism, and more planned.

Like casters for the coffee table! So it's easier to move for vacuuming, and then I can move it whenever to have space to do yoga!

It's really about encouraging myself to have good habits, which includes.. enjoying.. my.. home? It's been awhile.

As a sample, work in progress next to the bed:
    ut1ed2athain.jpg
    Pretty planter/vase to contain stuff I'd pile otherwise, and keep dust off. Coordinating felt baskets for what will be the sole bookcase of trade paperbacks (previously with hardbacks of the same genre and, lo, I feel conflicted in this, but some people are able to organize by color, I can experiment!)
    Exclusive (console release) content! More progress pics.
    Look at this big 'un! This is basically the only workable spot in the house, otherwise it'd be against a wall!
    vl1xbona0nst.jpg

The pantry is a perpetual work in progress, too, but I made a lot of improvements a couple years ago, so the high priority --food-- is at least mostly sorted and contained, which means we actually keep a better FIFO inventory.
    tzm0bj8omq1b.jpg
    eyxqg0lq8xz7.jpg

Same deal with the fridge and freezer.
    ax5j973bo4ss.jpg

Bottle station!
    6qfqti4k29jz.jpg

Under the kitchen sink
    t4hmfbrq6yvy.jpg

Trays & fancy serveware
    pl4gu94ayovv.jpg

Oven stuff; seeing if the new shelves help, in which case I'll get some for the top segment and maybe the cabinet with pots & pans.
    f2llpe6rqr1s.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg