Brawlers & Fighting games

1. MK Trilogy (1964)
    2. Smash Ultimate
    3. Scott Pilgrim Vs The world
    4. Castle Crashers
    5. X-Men: The arcade Game
    6. Simpsons: The Arcade Game

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today's genre/category is: Animated Movies

RT_ESSENTIAL_ANIMATION_700x250.jpg

What six animated movies do you choose for your communal doomsday bunker?

Are you favoring a classic, defining film in the genre or something you know a group of folks can enjoy year after year? Are you going to try to split up your picks by director, or will your list be entirely Disney flicks?

And, listen, I know that animation isn't a genre but rather a medium.

But I think its an easy category and frees up space in others, so, lets work with it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Clarification: do claymation/stop motion animation films fall into this category?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Clarification: do claymation/stop motion animation films fall into this category?

I'm saying they do (cause one is on my soon to be posted list)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ghost in the Shell (1995). This movie's quality is hotly debated on these here boards but I love it. The soundtrack lives in my head basically constantly. The English voice acting isn't greeaaat, as is the case for most 90s anime, but it holds up pretty well I think. Lots of musing on transhumanism and what it means to be human or not.

The Nightmare Before Christmas. Maybe a bit cliched but god damn dude, I love this fucking movie. Every song is a banger, the story is weird and poignant, and it has a ghost dog. Honestly what more do you want!

Kubo and the Two Strings. Without exaggeration, this is the most beautiful movie I've ever watched. Every single frame is gorgeous beyond belief. Granted, a lot of that is due to the care and skill put into crafting the puppets and environments, but pause any frame and you'll have a wallpaper quality still. The story is beautiful and sad and it has Matthew McConaughey playing a beetle samurai, 10/10 incredible film.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I mulled a lot over what Miyazaki film to include (you gotta figure Studio Ghibli will show up on nearly every list in some capacity), and I honestly think I like this one the most? Later films are better looking, maybe, and I really love the characters in Princess Mononoke, but I appreciate just how in your face Nausicaä is about learning to live in harmony with your environment instead of constantly trying to beat it into submission to fit your needs. And, Patrick Stewart plays a kickass old guy.

Finding Nemo. Like Ghibli, I'm assuming Pixar will feature prominently on lists here. It was between this, Up, and Inside Out for me. Up very nearly got there but ultimately I just really love this story about a fish dad breaking way far out of his comfort zone to rescue his son. The sea turtles are also perfect.

The Iron Giant. I mean. Come on. This film is basically perfect. What can I even say about it.

• Options
    I found this one harder to narrow down than I expected! It was a real tossup between a couple of those and Hercules and Rebuild of Evangelion (which granted is actually 4 movies but they function as one long story).

• Options
    I'm currently debating one last item on my list, but we do share one film in particular, @3cl1ps3.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The Iron Giant
    Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    WALL-E - I think. Something else from Disney/Pixar could easily take this spot away.
    My Neighbor Totoro - is it the best Miyazaki? I don't know, but it holds the most sentimental value for me because my kids love it so much.
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Alright, here are my six choices:
    #1. The Secret of NIMH
    - Director(s): Don Bluth
    - Year: 1982
    - Runtime: 82 minutes
    - Summary: To save her ill son, a field mouse must seek the aid of a colony of rats, with whom she has a deeper link than she ever suspected.

#2. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    - Director(s): Hayao Miyazaki
    - Year: 1984
    - Runtime: 117 minutes
    - Summary: Warrior and pacifist Princess Nausicaä desperately struggles to prevent two warring nations from destroying themselves and their dying planet.

#3. Aladdin
    - Director(s): Ron Clements & John Musker
    - Year: 1992
    - Runtime: 90 minutes
    - Summary: A kindhearted street urchin and a power-hungry Grand Vizier vie for a magic lamp that has the power to make their deepest wishes come true.

#4. Wallace & Gromit Anthology
    - Director(s): Nick Park
    - Year: 1993
    - Runtime: 90 minutes
    - Summary:
    -- #1. A Grand Day Out: Wallace & Gromit blast off in a home-made rocket to see if the moon is really made of cheese.
    -- #2. The Wrong Trousers: Gromit suspects something's up when he catches their new boarder, a mute penguin, altering Wallace's new techno-trousers
    -- #3. A Close Shave: Wallace's whirlwind romance with the owner of the local wool shop puts his head in a spin; Gromit is framed for sheep-rustling in a fiendish criminal plot.

#5. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island
    - Director(s): Jim Stenstrum
    - Year: 1999
    - Runtime: 77 minutes
    - Summary: The Mystery Gang reunite and visit Moonscar Island, a remote island with a dark secret. Daphne wants more than just a villain in a costume, and they get more than they ever expected.

#6. Toy Story 2
    - Director(s): John Lasseter
    - Year: 1999
    - Runtime: 92 minutes
    - Summary: When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends set out on a rescue mission to save Woody before he becomes a museum toy property with his roundup gang Jessie, Prospector, and Bullseye.

I originally had Up in that last spot but after some reflection I think I would ultimately rather have Toy Story 2 on there as a representative of Pixar's canon.

I also wanted to avoid any superhero animated feature films (as I'm saving them for the Superhero/Comic film genre that we'll get to in a while).

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Damn, I'm crossing the streams a bit and really want to squeeze Chicken Run into my 6 now but I'm having a really hard time cutting one of my other six. Every movie I put on there already has some special value to me along with great rewatchability. Chicken Run does not have the same kind of sentimental attachment so it probably won't crack the list after all, even though I do love it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Or Mononoke. Yeah, I go back and forth between which of these is my favourite. And Totoro. But I think, trapped in a bunker for the rest of my existence while the world ends outside I might find I connect with Nausicaä more than the others... maybe.

Perfect Blue. My favourite Satoshi Kon, and does a really good job of satisfying my own love of psychothriller movies by being an excellent example in it's own right.

Into the Spider-verse. I love the multitude of animation styles on display, the music... everything. Won best animated the year it was nominated, and was probably the better movie than the actual best picture winner.

Wall-E. Like Nausicaä, probably the Pixar I can live with/draw hope from trapped beyond the end of the world.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Two bits.

And any Chuck Jones/Looney Tunes complication containing Rabbit Seasoning & the hunting trilogy, The Rabbit of Seville, some other classics... If I could sneak The Grinch in there it would be perfect, but not sure any such thing exists, sadly. But Chuck Jones is amongst the greats, and I love them dearly.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    1. Ghost in the Shell. It's my favorite movie of all time, so the only way it's not making it into the bunker is if I'm already dead.
    2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Honestly, I like Return of the Joker a bit more, but this one probably needs less outside knowledge to watch and enjoy.
    3. Voices of a Distant Star. Makoto Shinkai's big break into the industry, and probably my favorite of his.
    4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Seriously, why would this not be in anyone's collection.
    5. Spirited Away. My favorite Ghibli, and for whatever reason I like the scene of the girl cleaning/fixing the water spirit. Also the charcoal/ash sprites.
    6. First Squad. An anime movie presented as a mockumentary about something that may or may not have happened in WW2 when the Soviets were pushing the Nazis back, so Germany had one last-ditch (supernatural) effort to win on their Eastern Front.

I'm not entirely sure about this list, but considering there's only 6 slots, I think I did okay.

sig.gif
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Wall-E
    Nausicaa
    Iron giant
    Spider-Man into the spiderverse
    Princess mononoke
    Red Line

Several repeats from what the other said but what can I say, they are good movies. The only real outlier is Red Line. The plot is mediocre honestly but the visuals are just insane, and I am not even a car guy.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    And any Chuck Jones/Looney Tunes complication containing Rabbit Seasoning & the hunting trilogy, The Rabbit of Seville, some other classics... If I could sneak The Grinch in there it would be perfect, but not sure any such thing exists, sadly. But Chuck Jones is amongst the greats, and I love them dearly.

If I could find an anthology film of Chuck Jones' best animated stuff, it'd definitely end up on my list.

• Options
    @Fishman, what about this one?
    Bugs_Bunny_Roadrunner_movie.jpg

The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie is a 1979 American animated comedy package film directed by Chuck Jones, consisting of a compilation of classic Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts (all of the shorts featured were directed by Chuck Jones) and newly animated bridging sequences hosted by Bugs Bunny.[1] The bridging sequences, which had been produced in 1978, show Bugs at his home, which is cantilevered over a carrot-juice waterfall (modeled on Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater" house in Bear Run, Pennsylvania). The film was released to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Bugs Bunny.

These cartoons, which also feature Elmer J. Fudd, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Pepé Le Pew, Penelope Pussycat, and Marvin the Martian, include (in order):

-- "Rocket Squad" and "To Hare Is Human" [only backgrounds are used in the opening and ending credits]
    -- "Rabbit Seasoning" [only a brief clip is used in the beginning] Elmer Fudd shoots Bugs' hole and asks him his catchphrase "Eh, what's up Doc?"]
    -- "Hare-Way to the Stars" [Bugs Bunny accidentally arrives in space by a rocket. He soon discovers that Marvin the Martian wants to blow up the earth with his illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator and he finds himself chased by instant martians.]
    -- "Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century" [Daffy Duck as Duck Dodgers wants to find Planet X, with the help of Porky Pig as his minion Eager Young Space Cadet, unfortunately, his rival, Marvin the Martian, wants the same thing too, and a battle starts between Daffy/Dodgers and Marvin.]
    -- "Robin Hood Daffy" [Daffy Duck appears as Robin Hood and tries to persuade Porky Pig who is Friar Truck that he really is the hero. Daffy tries many things, but none of them work.]
    -- "Duck Amuck" [Daffy Duck gets himself painted, changed, embarrassed and annoyed by a mysterious drawer.]
    -- "Bully for Bugs" [Bugs Bunny takes the job of a matador and fights a gruesome bull, using his many tricks.]
    -- "Ali Baba Bunny" [Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck arrive in a cave with treasures and Daffy finds himself chased by the guard Hassan.]
    -- "Rabbit Fire" [Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny argue about if it is rabbit season or duck season, while Elmer Fudd is there. Bugs always tricks Daffy into being shot by Elmer.]
    -- "For Scent-imental Reasons" [Pepé Le Pew chases Penelope Pussycat into a perfume shop, until she turns the tables on him.]
    -- "Long-Haired Hare" [Bugs Bunny annoys his cruel neighbor Giovanni Jones by playing a banjo, a harp and a tuba. So he disguises himself as Leopold [Stokowski] to ruin Jones' concert and have revenge.]
    -- "What's Opera, Doc?" [Elmer Fudd appears as an ancient hunter who chases Bugs Bunny in this opera in order to 'kill the wabbit'. In one scene, Bugs disguises himself as Brunhilde.]
    -- "Operation: Rabbit" [Wile E. Coyote uses his inventions to eat Bugs Bunny for supper.]

The cartoons are followed by a 19-minute compilation featuring Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, with some 31 gags used from 17 cartoons. They are:

-- "To Beep or Not to Beep" [the lasso scene and the catapult scenes]
    -- "Zoom and Bored" [The scene where Wile E. is tricked off a cliff and uses a jack-hammer]
    -- "Hopalong Casualty" [Earthquake pills scene]
    -- "Whoa, Be-Gone!" [Teeter-Totter scene, the Trampoline Scene and the high wire structure and dons a wheel-head scene]
    -- "There They Go-Go-Go!" [Rock Avalanche scene]
    -- "Gee Whiz-z-z-z-z-z-z" [ACME Bat-Man's outfit scene]
    -- "Going! Going! Gosh!" [Slingshot scene and Wile E. Coyote disguising himself as a woman Scene]
    -- "Stop! Look! And Hasten!" [The road wall scenes, ACME Bird Seed on Bridge scene and the ACME Leg Muscle Vitamins scene]
    -- "Beep Prepared" [The final cartoon to have the ending scene where Wile E. uses an ACME Little-Giant-Do-It-Yourself Rocket Sled]
    -- "Fast and Furry-ous" [ACME super outfit scene]
    -- "Scrambled Aches" [Spring Coil scene]
    -- "Hot-Rod and Reel!" [Trampoline scene]
    -- "Guided Muscle" [Human Bow and Arrow Scene and the slingshot scene]
    -- "Zip 'n Snort" [Human Bow and Arrow Scene and the Giant Cannon scene]
    -- "Wild About Hurry" [ACME Giant Rubber Band scene]
    -- "Zipping Along" [Human-canon Ball Scene and the Wrecking Ball scene]
    -- "Hip Hip- Hurry!" [Intro chase scene with mock-Latin names and the boulder attempt]

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Rabbit Fire, Duck Dodgers, What's Opera Doc?, Duck Amuck and some Wiley Coyote/Roadrunner shorts? Yes please.

• Options
    Today's genre/category is: Genre (Fantasy/Horror/Sci-Fi) TV Shows

Best-Genre-TV-Shows.jpg

What six genre (fantasy/horror/sci-fi) TV shows do you choose for your communal doomsday bunker?

Are you leaning towards something incredibly long or a critical darling that while shorter may have value in repeated viewings over the years? Are you going to try to split up your picks by sub-genres within the field, or go by decade?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Babylon 5
    Battlestar Galactica (the 2000s one, not the 70s one)
    Stargate: SG-1
    Castlevania
    Futurama

• Options
    Right now my heart is torn between Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Farscape.

@Librarian's ghost, where would you land on this choice?

• Options
    Doctor Who as the incredibly long show that gives me a lot of novel hours before I even get to rewatching.
    Farscape is my favorite sci-fi show. Fantastic characters, muppets, and the best serialized storytelling in the genre.
    Fringe is more consistently enjoyable for me than X-Files, which I thought about for a long time.
    The Magicians on the strength of how much I enjoy and rewatch the musical numbers.
    Tales From the Crypt is good and there's a lot of it.
    Hannibal is good enough to include even though it's a lot less hours of entertainment than others.

That's what I say now anyway. Realistically I probably end up caving and cutting Hannibal for something longer running like a Star Trek.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I feel like if I’m running the gambit on animation. I’m going to want something that allows maximum genre interaction. Instead of my favorites. I want varieties dramas adventure comedies
    So with that in mind. I would go with
    Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    Who Frames Rodger Rabbit
    Nightmare before Christmas
    Aladdin
    Perfect Blue

That’s a pretty varied selection.

• Options
    At the moment these are my six chosen genre TV shows:
    #1. The X-Files
    - Year(s): 1993 – 2001
    - Seasons/Episodes: 9 seasons/202 episodes
    - Summary: Two F.B.I. Agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, investigate the strange and unexplained, while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.

#2. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    - Year(s): 1993 – 1999
    - Seasons/Episodes: 7 seasons/173 episodes
    - Summary: In the vicinity of the liberated planet of Bajor, the Federation space station Deep Space Nine guards the opening of a stable wormhole to the far side of the galaxy.

#3. Xena: Warrior Princess
    - Year(s): 1995 – 2001
    - Seasons/Episodes: 6 seasons/137 episodes
    - Summary: Xena, a mighty warrior with a dark past, sets out to redeem herself. She is joined by small town bard, Gabrielle. Together they journey the ancient world and fight for the greater good against ruthless Warlords and Gods.

#4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    - Year(s): 1997 – 2003
    - Seasons/Episodes: 7 seasons/145 episodes
    - Summary: A young woman, destined to slay vampires, demons and other infernal creatures, deals with her life fighting evil, with the help of her friends.

#5. Lost
    - Year(s): 2004 – 2010
    - Seasons/Episodes: 6 seasons/119 episodes
    - Summary: The survivors of a plane crash are forced to work together in order to survive on a seemingly deserted tropical island.

#6. Gotham
    - Year(s): 2014 – 2019
    - Seasons/Episodes: 5 seasons/100 episodes
    - Summary: The story behind Detective James Gordon's rise to prominence in Gotham City in the years before Batman's arrival.

I think I ultimately went with DS9 over Farscape just from a length perspective.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I can't actually remember rewatching many TV shows. Mostly, once I've watched them, I never revisit them again. So it's a strange state to be put in to be asked what I want to stay with forever.

Babylon 5 - This may be one of the sole exceptions to the rewatch rule. I think I've been through it 3 times? Anyway, I'm interested in watching again, which is more than I say for like, anything.

Doctor Who - Another exception, but possibly because there's so damned much of it. I mean, I used to watch it all the time, my friends and I used to have a system of trading VHS tapes around after school and we'd work through the old shows and we had dozens of story arcs to work through. Now the relaunched shows are back and they're also a right mixed bag, but stuff it, there's just so much of it so bring it in.

Red Dwarf - My username is a Red Dwarf reference. It's got some very good seasons in the middle.

What We Do In Shadows - Fuck it, let's get some more NZ representation in here.

The Expanse - I watched the first season and it was alright, so I guess this will get me another 5 seasons and allow me to finish

The Boys - Karl Urban in a series I've never seen before but heard good things about.

If I wanted to add one more show I've actually already seen, Buffy or Firefly would probably be pushed up, but I'm a bit cool on Whedon at the moment

Special: I really need to go back to do the western animated TV list, so I can put Samurai Jack somewhere.

Fishman on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    GENRE SHOWS
    1. The Wire
    2. The Sopranos
    3. Star Trek:TNG
    4. The Boys
    5. Doom Patrol
    6. The Mandalorian

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

"Librarian's ghost", where would you land on this choice?

I mean me. It is Farscape all the way no questions. There is more variety and crazy that helps with rewatching.

The only thing DS9 has going for it is more episodes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I mean me. It is Farscape all the way no questions. There is more variety and crazy that helps with rewatching.

Ahh hell, now I'm doubting myself and my choices!!

• Options

But DS9 has take me out to the Holodeck, one of the best episodes of Star-Trek period.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Go with your gut!

Crackers don’t matter or Take me out to the Holodeck?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Go with your gut!

My gut?!?

I grew up watching Farscape, absolutely loved it. Still love it!

But the first chunk of the first season is uneven and it ends on a cliffhanger...

And thus I have to lean towards Deep Space Nine as I think it'd offer a more filling experience (even if it is lacking in BDSM and Muppets).

But then again, I'll probably do a re-watch of Farscape this summer, so I will have fresh opinions of both shows to way against each other.

• Options
    Also, very surprised I haven't seen Supernatural on any of these lists for today's category.

• Options

Go with your gut!

My gut?!?

But the first chunk of the first season is uneven and it ends on a cliffhanger...

And thus I have to lean towards Deep Space Nine as I think it'd offer a more filling experience (even if it is lacking in BDSM and Muppets).

But then again, I'll probably do a re-watch of Farscape this summer, so I will have fresh opinions of both shows to way against each other.

Take out Buffy and put Farscape in. F Joss.

• Options

Go with your gut!

My gut?!?

Two sci-fi space shows?! My list demands variety!!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    1. The Magicians. Harry Potter mixed with Narnia and depression; what's not to love?
    2. Knight Rider. The original, not the spinoffs or sequels; those are good, but not the same as the OG.
    3. Kings. Not entirely sure this is genre television, but I think it's close enough since it's loosely based on religious stories.
    4. Legends of Tomorrow. This is my current favorite, and it's been consistently great after the first season, so in it goes.
    5. Agents of SHIELD. It's the sister-from-another-mister to LoT, and also really good. Plus Ward is the gift that never stops giving.
    6. Leverage/Redemption. Fuck the police.

X-Files and one of the Star Treks (TNG/DS9/VOY) probably should have been on the list, and they definitely would have if I made this when they were airing because they were pretty formative, but looking back at them now I just can't do it. Weird.

sig.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am watching TNG with my girlfriend and I really did forget how hokey some of it is and just how fucking great and wonderful so much of it is.

She likes Star Trek more than Star Wars, which is Correct. The more nerd shit I show her, the more confirmations I receive that I chose my spouse very well.

• Options

Go with your gut!

My gut?!?

Two sci-fi space shows?! My list demands variety!!

I feel like they are different enough to warrant it.

• Options
    Zonugal, what happens with a series like MST3K? Would that be permissible as a genre show, or would it need to find another category?

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Zonugal, what happens with a series like MST3K? Would that be permissible as a genre show, or would it need to find another category?

One of the upcoming categories is 'Comedy-Variety TV Shows', which is where Mystery Science Theater 3000 would land.

• Options
    Today's genre/category is: Country Albums

Best-Country-Albums.png

What six country albums do you choose for your communal doomsday bunker?

Are you leaning towards it all being 90s pop-country, blue-grass, or spread it out among a variety of decades? Will all six of your choices just be Jimmy Buffett?

• Options
    None.

That was easy.

• Options
    1. Johnny Cash: Live at Folsom Prison
    2. Sturgil Simpson: Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
    3. Drive by Truckers: Southern Rock Opera
    4. Sturgil Simpson: Hightop Mountain
    5. John Prine: John Prine [Self Titled]
    6. Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger