Options

You have a dog now

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my dog would routinely chase and eat bees. When he would predictably get stung on the tongue he'd sit there drooling until the pain went away and get right back to it.

I miss him so much. He also once ate a lit birthday candle

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Has your dog pooped on the floor yet?

'cause he's gonna.

Nah. He has peed in the kitchen a bunch but he does try to ask to go out in time. Mostly I leave the door open all day so it’s much less of a problem than you’d imagine. I could be wrong but I don’t think he ever will.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    RT800 wrote: »
    Has your dog pooped on the floor yet?

'cause he's gonna.

Nah. He has peed in the kitchen a bunch but he does try to ask to go out in time. Mostly I leave the door open all day so it’s much less of a problem than you’d imagine. I could be wrong but I don’t think he ever will.

P R O T I P

When he does go outside and is in the middle of The Business, say whatever your command would be e.g. go for a pee and then cheer that dog on

You can also do this when they're already in a sit, for example

Puppy brain doesn't retain a ton but it's a way to speed up the learning process by associating the words with actions, typically obedience doesn't start to set in until closer to 12 weeks

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Serpents are you sure your dog isn't just a living SFT?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Hey do you still have a dog

Steam
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @cello you'd probably appreciate knowing that the puppy I walk has opinions. She's normally get quite and friendly, but if you're not paying attention, or in my flatmates case being a bit slow to come over, then you shall get the Wuff.

Pats and social attention, or woff! (Or long grumbly noises because she thought I was ignoring her instead of going to get her rope toy)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Hey do you still have a dog

Yep! He’s really opened up today, and has spent a lot of it sprinting! I didn’t do anything to egg him on, it’s like he has just figured out his potential. Now he’s having a nap.

• Options
    @cello you'd probably appreciate knowing that the puppy I walk has opinions. She's normally get quite and friendly, but if you're not paying attention, or in my flatmates case being a bit slow to come over, then you shall get the Wuff.

Pats and social attention, or woff! (Or long grumbly noises because she thought I was ignoring her instead of going to get her rope toy)

Thank you this is very important to me

Steam
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I was approved to adopt two lovely cats today and now I get to spend the weekend buying stuff and stressing about how bad of a cat dad I will be

• Options
    s21zbsa7zor7.jpeg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I was approved to adopt two lovely cats today and now I get to spend the weekend buying stuff and stressing about how bad of a cat dad I will be

Just go to an old Spirit Halloween and steal a bunch of boxes from behind the store. No need to spend money on cat toys.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    So, girlfriend has been dying for a new dog. I've never had a dog ever before, but as long as my cats are safe whatever.

It was gonna be a retired racing greyhound, but the rescue group doesn't have any, so then it was gonna be a greyhound/deerhound mix, either a 2 year old or 3 year old and housebroken and trained and socialized and checked with cats.

Well those dogs fell through and now girlfriend is getting a 7 month old greyhound/deer or wolfhound mix that just doesn't have the drive required to hunt coyotes. It's coming from a farm so it'll need to be housebroken and crate trained and everything. I have no idea how to do any of this! I've never lived with a dog before! How do I make sure it doesn't eat my cats?

This is a lot of change all at once.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    If your cats haven't been declawed, which as I understand it isn't a thing that happens anymore, the cats will probably scare the dog pretty quickly,in my experience

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think the most important part on dog/cat situations like that is the introduction. Make sure the dog is on a leash the first time it meets the cats so nothing really fucked up happens.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Try not to let the dog and cat(s) interact without you there to reward/scold the dog's behavior. Cello will probably have more useful advice.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    expendable wrote: »
    So, girlfriend has been dying for a new dog. I've never had a dog ever before, but as long as my cats are safe whatever.

It was gonna be a retired racing greyhound, but the rescue group doesn't have any, so then it was gonna be a greyhound/deerhound mix, either a 2 year old or 3 year old and housebroken and trained and socialized and checked with cats.

Well those dogs fell through and now girlfriend is getting a 7 month old greyhound/deer or wolfhound mix that just doesn't have the drive required to hunt coyotes. It's coming from a farm so it'll need to be housebroken and crate trained and everything. I have no idea how to do any of this! I've never lived with a dog before! How do I make sure it doesn't eat my cats?

This is a lot of change all at once.

I haven't trained greyhounds before, but I know @Veldrin and @Blake T have both owned them, so they may be able to offer more direct breed advice

First things first though - you're going to want to find out from the farm if the dog has actually met cats before, and if so, how he's reacted. The dog might not have hunt drive for coyotes, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a prey drive that could be triggered by cats, and you're going to want to be cautious with the introduction for that reason. Cats also take a bit to warm up to new family members, so you want to keep their comfort in mind too.

Separate the cats from the dog in the house until the dog seems comfortable - it could be a few hours or even a few days if he hasn't lived indoors; he's 7 months so it shouldn't be super difficult to socialize him, but there's going to be a lot of changes all at once and you might need to pace the introductions a bit

I'd recommend from there to let the cats into the room, and keep the pup leashed up with treats on-hand. The leash would mostly be to be sure that if he does get reactive, you'll have control of the situation. You can pace the introduction from a few minutes at a time to a few hours to free reign over a couple days as you grow to trust him. You can give him treats when he makes eye contact with the cats as well to reinforce, well, cat good

You might also need to effectively do some potty training, and also be cautious about letting the dog out as he's gonna be used to roaming - hopefully you've got a fence arrangement and that'll help

For crate training, get a crate and fill it with nice pillows and a few toys, and throw a blanket over top. Basically you want to turn it into a den. From there you can start feeding the dog at the edge of the crate, and move the meals farther towards the back every day. Once he's going in and out of it on his own without the food requirement, he'll consider it a den; from there you can start training him to go in with the door closed for 5 minutes, then 15, then 30, then an hour; try staying near the crate at first, and then you can go into the next room or leave the house for a few minutes to help him practice for longer, scaling up to however long you'd leave the house for. Never just force him in the crate, or he'll *hate* it; you want it to be a safe space. If he ever is in trouble and runs into the crate, sanctuary rules apply - it'll help with establishing safety when he's in there.

Also make sure the crate is just big enough he can get up, turn around, and get comfortable. If you make it too big, he'll treat it like he's got an ensuite bathroom, haha.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I also will note - be sure that you'll be able to return the dog if he isn't a good fit and shows reactivity to the cats. It might be that this dog really does need space to roam and run, as well as a cat-free home, and it's totally fine if that ends up being the decision that's made if introductions go poorly.

Make sure whatever collar you're using fits well, and that you feel that you do have control if you need to pull the dog away.

This is more of a break in case of emergency, but
    Less pleasantly, if you need to break up a fight (and this applies for all dog fights in general), the method is to pull the leash straight upwards until you have the dog's feet off the ground.

I seriously doubt you'll need to do this in this situation, and more likely than not if his prey drive hits he's gonna just want to chase the cats and then figure things out from there (which is why you have the leash), but in absence of someone with dog experience there to help you out, well, now you know!

It won't hurt as well to familiarize yourself with dog body language so you can try and sort out how the dog is feeling. I uh, don't have a source for this as I've learned it through osmosis throughout the years, but Google for signs of distress or anxiety in dogs (e.g. hackles going up, ears back, tail tucking, curling up lips) and you'll be able to see if you need to break the introduction up earlier than anticipated. Happy curiosity can involve wagging the tail, sometimes hunching over a bit if they're shy and getting uh, doe eyes? And trying to gently sniff at the cats, would be the ideal here

Again, I doubt any of that will be really necessary, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared in general if you don't know how they'll react with cats and a new space. (The benefit of adopting from a shelter is they often verify a lot of this stuff with fosters.)

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    I also will note - be sure that you'll be able to return the dog if he isn't a good fit and shows reactivity to the cats. It might be that this dog really does need space to roam and run, as well as a cat-free home, and it's totally fine if that ends up being the decision that's made if introductions go poorly.

Yeah, we checked that with this group first thing. My number one priority has been my cats being safe.

She's had dogs before, I never have. I knew her last two dogs but didn't live with them. 2 dogs ago she had Nellie. Despite getting the ever loving crap scared out of me by Nellie I grew to love her and I described myself as a Nellie-person, not a dog person.

Spoilered for sad dog stuff
    Then Nellie one day Nellie started favoring her back leg. In under 10 days we knew it was a very nasty, aggressive cancer that had already spread throughout her body. So that was goodbye. She was 5, my girlfriend had adopted her 3 years ago.

Over 6 months later she was ready for a new dog and adopted an English Bulldog that was about 2 years old. Castle was a sweetie.

More spoilers for sad dog things
    After she'd had him for a little over a month they went to bed one night he was fine, but in the morning he was struggling to breathe and exhaling blood. She rushed him to the emergency vet but there ended up being nothing that could be done. It turns out that he just aspirated on his own vomit in the middle of the night. Just a hazard of the breed they said.

Steam
  • Options
    Jesus, that is brutal, I'm so sorry

I hope this new pup brings you guys real happiness

Steam
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Training greyhounds is different to other dogs, mostly because their bone structure is so different that they can’t do a lot of things that other dogs can do easily, sit and drop aren’t really things that can be traditionally taught, instead they need to taught environmentally (I don’t even know the right word for it) that is when they happen to do it you shout at the word and literally throw a treat at them so they learn that something good has happened. We did that with down, he eventually picked that up and then we did the same with sit, so that the second his butt touched the floor we said sit and threw him a treat.

It is not a fast process. You can hold a treat above most dogs noses and they’ll just fucken sit and you can teach sit to most dogs in like two days. Us teaching bodhi to lie down and sit took the better part of three months.

Other things like wait and spin you can teach like standard but sit and down (mostly sit really) are legit toughies and many Greyhound owners just don’t bother.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Figuring out what motivates your dog helps a lot to with training.

Thankfully for most dogs this is "snacks!?!" But it's still worth knowing. Some really like praise! Some will do anything for any amount of food (including theft). Some want to play way past the point it's safe for you or them. Some want all the cuddles. Some just want to be involved in what you're doing

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Managing to teach a greyhound to sit is extremely good because they often look hilarious

They're like awkward lanky dragons

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @expendable one bit of advice from us introducing our dog to two different cats, is to make sure there's bits of the house the cat can easily get to which the dog is kept out of, at least until you know they get along, so the cat always has somewhere it can escape to and feel safe.

Also if possible introducing them in the most neutral ground possible, like a room the cat doesn't usually use much and definitely not the one with its food / litter box if relevant.

Though in my personal experience our dog was completely chill with cats and it wasn't any work to introduce them (literally when we brought home our second cat, he and the dog sniffed each other once and went their separate ways). But those two tips were things we were advised beforehand.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I would also say, the first time you try to introduce them to cats, it needs to be an on-lead and with a muzzle environment. Then most people downgrade to just muzzle environment and then without but supervised.

I am not a huge fan of muzzles (but recognise their usefulness) but it is far easier to start off nice and slow than have to deal with the fallout of things turn south.

• Options
    Max had a nightmare! He was very shaken and needed a hug. Then he went and ate pretty much all the food I put down for him; guess so the nightmare didn’t steal it?

He hasn’t had one before, I can only conclude it was the sound of geese that startled him yesterday.

Anyway right now he is sitting in a steamy bath (a big plastic bowl) in the garden.

• Options
    What does he look like soaked

Our Belgians look like big stoic fluff wolves until you get them wet and then WHOOPS they have tiny little deer bodies under there and are so fragile!!

Steam
  • Options
    Absolutely not, no photos while he’s bathing. Everybody needs their private time.

• Options
    Max had a nightmare! He was very shaken and needed a hug. Then he went and ate pretty much all the food I put down for him; guess so the nightmare didn’t steal it?

He hasn’t had one before, I can only conclude it was the sound of geese that startled him yesterday.

Anyway right now he is sitting in a steamy bath (a big plastic bowl) in the garden.

Geese are scary motherfuckers

Steam
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

They're mean, but they're not scary. They really don't know how to deal with a boot, or grabbing them by the neck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Just go to an old Spirit Halloween and steal a bunch of boxes from behind the store. No need to spend money on cat toys.

I was talking about like litter trays and food bowls, but agreed

The one conspiracy hill I will die on is that cat toys are targeted toward cat owners, not cats. In fact the more uninteresting a toy is to a cat the more money the toy company makes because owners will just keep buying more toys hoping they will work

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They're mean, but they're not scary. They really don't know how to deal with a boot, or grabbing them by the neck.

yes they do!
    HHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSS! HONK! HONK!

• Options

They sort of rely on the idea that the threat display will work and when you get past that their tiny brains just overload like some sort of bad Shonen villian. "My ultimate technique, failed!? BUT HOW!?"

Swans though, swan's i'm told are the real deal. and well, Endless is not in Aus, which is good, because Aus has Cassowary.

• Options
    edited January 2022

They sort of rely on the idea that the threat display will work and when you get past that their tiny brains just overload like some sort of bad Shonen villian. "My ultimate technique, failed!? BUT HOW!?"

Swans though, swan's i'm told are the real deal. and well, Endless is not in Aus, which is good, because Aus has Cassowary.

I taught my 11lbs dog to chase after the geese after I got tired of having to run away every time we walked past the pond.

Thankfully I've never had to find out what would happen if an 11lbs dog caught a 12lbs goose

Very scary dog, tormentor of geese, being defeated by her collar where she somehow got her leg stuck while eating a dog ice cream

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that dog looks like it weighs about as much as a package of oreos

• Options

And not the double stuffed ones either

Steam
  • Options
    I once had one of those bouncing at me at a dog park to get Treats and reduced both myself and the owner to helpless laughter when i picked it up because it kept ignoring the sit command.

You could just see it's brain freeze and go "...wait. What. Huh!? what?! Help!!!"

Then i put him back down and he sat and was rewarded with jerky finally.

• Options

And not the double stuffed ones either

No, sorry, is actually big scary monster dog!

• Options
    How to induce envy in the Golden Retriver puppy i walk: Pat another older golden retriever infront of her.

The mental conflict between "Get pats from other dog's owner" and "But penguin is patting a dog that isnt me!?" was hilarious.

The other golden meanwhile was very clear on not being interested in this puppy, but you, human, you clearly know the art of petting and should apply it to me.

• Options
    Sad stuff spoiler
    We have to put our old Belgian Shepherd boy, Ani, down tomorrow

He's 13 and had a good run, but is at the point where he has very little quality of life and it's just... at the point where he's got very little left in him, you know

I'm grateful for the time we had and know this is about as long a run as you can hope for in this breed, but it really doesn't make it much easier

It's the contract you sign when you bring in a pet, and it's worth the bargain for all the years of joy they bring you, but goddamn if it ain't the saddest thing

Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Sad stuff spoiler
    We have to put our old Belgian Shepherd boy, Ani, down tomorrow

He's 13 and had a good run, but is at the point where he has very little quality of life and it's just... at the point where he's got very little left in him, you know

I'm grateful for the time we had and know this is about as long a run as you can hope for in this breed, but it really doesn't make it much easier

It's the contract you sign when you bring in a pet, and it's worth the bargain for all the years of joy they bring you, but goddamn if it ain't the saddest thing

Vibes @Cello - I had to make the same call about one of my pet rats a few years back and it was rough. She'd dropped a quarter of her body weight since she'd last been weighed and didnt care about macademia nuts, even when i'd cracked them open for her - Previously she'd just take the entire nut, in shell and run off with it immediately.

Take care of yourself.

To provide some cheer, here is the idiot puppy being upset that I'm leaving her alone.
    kltw0w32g75l.jpg

To fetch the tennis ball.

That she dropped down stairs.

Again.

The Zombie Penguin on