Options

You have a dog now

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    Aww Buggle!
    One of my favorite breeds ( the others being all dog breeds) they're the raptors of the dog world though. Very smart and organized. Fridge doors are merely a problem to be solved

He's actually an American basset hound, but it's ok he gets confused for a beagle all the time. It's hard to tell in that picture, but that is a pretty big chair, and 70 pounds (31kg) of dog lounging in it.

Another source of confusion is when people think of basset hounds, they picture European basset hounds. They have looser skin and shorter legs (somehow).

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think his ears look confusingly short in that photo, too

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 9
    I think his ears look confusingly short in that photo, too

Yeah the angle is what threw me off.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Today I met a Berger Picard aka Picardy Shepherd, which was new to me. I like seeing dog breeds I've never seen before. It looked a bit like a mix of Wolfhound and German Shepherd.

668wlgbda80y.jpg

Apparently he's very chill, unless he sees cows, in which case he tries to herd them. Which is funny because around here is all cattle farms.

I don't generally like long-haired breeds but thought this one looked cool, I like the scruffy ones.

Apparently they're really rare, only a few hundred in France and North America, and around 90 in the UK. They were very common in northern France until WW1 when the place was turned into battlefields.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Great breed but they make terrible wine

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Today I met a Berger Picard aka Picardy Shepherd, which was new to me. I like seeing dog breeds I've never seen before. It looked a bit like a mix of Wolfhound and German Shepherd.

668wlgbda80y.jpg

Apparently he's very chill, unless he sees cows, in which case he tries to herd them. Which is funny because around here is all cattle farms.

I don't generally like long-haired breeds but thought this one looked cool, I like the scruffy ones.

Apparently they're really rare, only a few hundred in France and North America, and around 90 in the UK. They were very common in northern France until WW1 when the place was turned into battlefields.

this dog looks like it can talk. i would not be surprised if it started speaking in human tongue

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Big guide for a journey of personal growth energy.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

668wlgbda80y.jpg

this dog looks like it can talk. i would not be surprised if it started speaking in human tongue

This is also strong Irish Wolfhound energy

We had one in group class and she's basically a gigantic Jim Henson creature, I am in absolute awe every time

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    one time i ended up in annapolis, maryland during their irish festival and there were irish wolfhounds everywhere and i was so happy. such big, chill dogs. love em

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I LOVE berger picards, they look so much like Giant Haechis I adore them

Those plus these guys (sapsali)

6840_5894_4736.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Speaking of scruffy, Stanley got his yearly trim the other week
    ixc0e8h8el0r.png

I can't help think of Ray when he sits like this
    65nkdqj9gjhu.png

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    How it started
    ck7hlru1op0z.jpg

How it's going
    36cphos1byqa.jpg

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

668wlgbda80y.jpg

This is also strong Irish Wolfhound energy

We had one in group class and she's basically a gigantic Jim Henson creature, I am in absolute awe every time

Wolfhounds are great. Basically every big dog I've encountered has been an excellent relaxed and chill friend.

Well, one I met decided I was a bit scary and my gloves did not smell right, which was very comedy because he was almost certainly as heavy as I am

Side note, every time Ruby meets my cats now, she tries and hides behind someone. Otto doesn't understand, because he would like to make friends with this interesting smell beast maybe? As long as smell beast does not chase

What Otto doesn't realise is that his sister Odette's response to meeting Ruby has been to bonk Ruby on the head with a paw. Repeatedly. Odette, why. No claws, just bonk.

Ruby will eventually get her courage to and start play bowing and borfing at them, which just confuses both Otto and Odette to no end.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Our heatwave hit, and my poor dog is shedding heavily. He also hates being brushed, poor thing. This morning I brushed approximately a medium-sized chihuahua out of him and gave him a treat. He took the treat and went to sulk, but then I grabbed myself a bowl of cereal. He was still mad at me though, so while he sat next to me in the hopes of getting food, he also very pointedly did not look directly at me.

Such is dog cohabitation.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    This is Daisy as a tiny little accidental great Dane pup from my mom's girl.
    rm5thwjypbot.jpg

This is Daisy now, at 6 months
    5bqqbvfx65k9.jpg

She is doing great with her new family. They love her very much and send me lots of pics.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I love when big dogs have dining tables. It makes them look so refined.

• Options
    I love when big dogs have dining tables. It makes them look so refined.

Great Dane are prone to something called bloat, where their stomach twists inside of them, and eating higher to helps prevent it. So it is both cute and functional lol.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I know a lot of poodle people do gastropexy while they're in for spay/neuter and that seems like a nice peace of mind thing that reduces the chances of bloat

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    I know a lot of poodle people do gastropexy while they're in for spay/neuter and that seems like a nice peace of mind thing that reduces the chances of bloat

They do the same thing to danes and it pretty much eliminates it. My families bloodline have been very fortunate in that none of them we are aware of have ever had it.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Dog Fact: being aware of bloat symptoms is important, especially if you have a breed that is likelier to have it

We've had two GSDs suffer from it and managed to get them to the vet in time to save their lives, but there is a very short window where that's possible

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Dogs who can burp are considered to be lower bloat risk than dogs who can't, something I would remind my partner of every time our dog let out a rank burp in his face

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Our dog farts a lot so I'll try and keep that in mind.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I bought a slow feeder bowl before I adopted again just to be safe but Nala is pretty good at burping.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Yesterday was our dog's adoption anniversary so as is tradition I cooked him dinner. He got steak, sweet potato and cheese sprinkled on top. I think he licked the bowl after for about ten minutes

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Our dog has been with us for 9 months now and a curious behaviour has developed: he greets my wife by jumping up on her and he greets me by lying the side of his head on the ground (with his butt up in the air), or sometimes exposing his belly. Is this because I was more stern in my reactions to jumping? Or does this point to some problem in how we're treating him?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited June 27
    Mayday wrote: »
    Our dog has been with us for 9 months now and a curious behaviour has developed: he greets my wife by jumping up on her and he greets me by lying the side of his head on the ground (with his butt up in the air), or sometimes exposing his belly. Is this because I was more stern in my reactions to jumping? Or does this point to some problem in how we're treating him?

More knowledgeable folks than I will chime in, but my dog greets me by laying down or sitting as I have taught her, though her tail and butt are quivering with glee. Sometimes she jumps at me because she's so excited but then I turn my back to her or otherwise ignore her until she's down and laying (or sitting) and then giving her pats and hugs and verbal love. Meanwhile my wife gets jumped all over when coming in the door. So to me it sounds like your dog has learned each humans requirements for greetings love.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    So with Max, his greet is to sprint towards me, wait for me to tell him go go go and sprint away, then come back for about three to four times. When he’s done he’ll sit down in front of me and wait for me to take my tools off etc. Is this normal? I could not say. No problem for me though.

5wucsqjkl1i3.jpeg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I have been reading this thread since it started, and a dog has yet to spontaneously generate in my vicinity.
    I do have a gecko and two snakes, but no dog.

I think my internet may be broken.

• Options
    Have you tried combining the gecko and two snakes together to see if it makes a dog?

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Mine has taken to sleeping in our linen closet on a pile of spare blankets, and it is apparently so cozy that he often doesn’t bother getting up for breakfast, the lazy bum. It’s made even funnier because when this dog sleeps, he *sleeps*. Legs everywhere, looks dead, etc. It’s great.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Have you tried combining the gecko and two snakes together to see if it makes a dog?

I'm fairly certain that equation works out to be one fat snake and two empty enclosures.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I have been reading this thread since it started, and a dog has yet to spontaneously generate in my vicinity.
    I do have a gecko and two snakes, but no dog.

I think my internet may be broken.

on the bright side, no dog means no having to pay the vet's office $30 to get his butt glands expressed, so it may be a win for you

luckily he's pretty cute

ykaxkq2rhbj0.jpg

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    That looks so much like my childhood dog! Is it part Lapponian Herder?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    That looks so much like my childhood dog! Is it part Lapponian Herder?

He's a certified 'never rent again' special, a pretty even mix of a lot of breeds - husky, cattle dog, chow, American pit bull terrier, boxer, and lab, with German shepherd as an honorable mention. We got an embark done on him for fun and I really expected to see some border collie in there, but nope! We got him off the street in Texas, we think he was part of a colony of dogs near where I worked.

• Options
    edited July 12
    https://i.imgur.com/sBIgPDR.mp4
    Oliver showing why we have to clean the bottom of both ears every day.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Does Oliver bay or does he do the big long howl?

• Options
    Bay, sort of.
    When he is guarding the front door he will bay if someone surprises him or they start to cross the yard. Most of the time though, he is quiet and just watches the people go by. Sometimes he will do one quick bark, to get someone's attention. However, there is one dog that is his nemesis. If they walk by, he bays, but it's much longer and without the sort of yodeling that comes with it. I've talked with the owner and she said her dog is just really defensive when they are on walks, so I guess Oliver picks up on that energy.

We can coax him into a big long howl, complete with him throwing his head back dramatically, but he doesn't ever do it on his own.

Overall though, he isn't a very vocal dog, and certainly not compared with other basset hounds. Even when he whines (which they are notorious for), he only does it for a second, then turns it into a groan/sigh.

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Bay, sort of.
    When he is guarding the front door he will bay if someone surprises him or they start to cross the yard. Most of the time though, he is quiet and just watches the people go by. Sometimes he will do one quick bark, to get someone's attention. However, there is one dog that is his nemesis. If they walk by, he bays, but it's much longer and without the sort of yodeling that comes with it. I've talked with the owner and she said her dog is just really defensive when they are on walks, so I guess Oliver picks up on that energy.

We can coax him into a big long howl, complete with him throwing his head back dramatically, but he doesn't ever do it on his own.

Overall though, he isn't a very vocal dog, and certainly not compared with other basset hounds. Even when he whines (which they are notorious for), he only does it for a second, then turns it into a groan/sigh.

We had a Basset when i was a kid and he very vocal. We taught him to bring us any turtles that wandered into the yard.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    lake doggo
    x6ubt9bx9feg.jpg

We had to say good-bye to our dog today. She developed a very aggressive form of cancer that spread super-fast and she deteriorated very quickly. She was in a lot of pain and loosing function, but also very much wanted to keep going and had a nice morning at the park with us where she was still excited to meet other dogs and sniff around for little animals hiding in the brush. She was still giving us tail-waggles all the way till the end.

• Options
    edited 4:05AM
    Awesome for being a good girl right up until the end.

furlion at