As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hell Let Loose and other [Military shooter]s that aren't Battlefield or CoD

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Arma Reforger looks dope but that seems to only be if you can actually play it for more than a few minutes before a DC

As for HLL MG's those are my main class and let me tell you they can absolutely suck.

Certain maps are just not built for MGs, specifically Hürtgen Forrest or Hill 400. All the slopes make it almost impossible to set up and be effective, which is why I'm glad the US side at least got an unlockable BAR. That said, maps like Kursk and some of the France maps have some spots where I can absolutely dominate with an MG. One of my fondest memories of that game was setting my M1919 up in the top floor of a house on Foy and hosing down an entire two squads worth of attackers trying to cross a field in a wide flank. I think I single handedly stopped that assault.

You also are not an offensive player. Your job is to set up and suppress enemies and fire blindly into smoke, hedgerows, and tree lines that enemy fire may be coming from. The ability to Rambo hip fire has (sadly but necessarily) been nerfed so it's really kind of a last choice thing you do if you're getting overrun.

My pro MG tip is to try and set up the bipod at an angle in a window. That way you swivel out to fire and can then swivel back in behind the wall to reload or drop if you start taking fire. I do this in Post Scriptum too. Also, treat the MG like a sniper. Fire and then relocate, even if its only a few feet away. MGs put out a lot of smoke and tracer rounds that are basically a big Bat Signal so you don't want to linger too long in one spot. Not unless you're covering a big push and have a lot of guys running forwards.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Oh shit. They managed to keep this under wraps - Hell Let Loose Update 12 adds 2 new commander abilities, Precision Strike (Germans - single Stuka (with whine) dropping bomb, US - dual P-47s dropping bombs and Russian - single IL-2 doing a rocket run), plus ammo drop (finally!). Looks like both Germans and US will get 2 Medium (or heavy? I'm not a tanker) tanks each - they're putting the Panther back in, and adding the M4A3 75w Sherman.

I think this update also comes with night maps and the flare launcher, which I'm looking forward to.

edir - I spent the night on Hurtgen Forest learning the ways of the MP40 snipe. The first bullet from a burst is so insanely accurate, almost rifle level. I was making myself only single tap fire and I was getting way more headshots than I ever do with the K98, it was absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImD220hyThU

-Loki- on
    DrovekCampyemp123
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Okay the amount of bitching I'm seeing about the ammo drop is weird. It's a universal ammo box and you can only use it once like any other ammo box. The difference is it apparently replenishes everything - grenades, rockets, magazines, bandages, the lot, and it has 12 charges rather than 6.

This is fantastic for a defensive point. If you're in cover, you're more likely to take a glancing hit and need to bandage. You're likely to blow through ammo (especially assault, AT and MG) since you are supressing incoming troops. You're likely to really need explosives - grenades to slow an advance, rockets to hit incoming tanks and transports and for hitting offensive garrisons. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been defending and I've absolutely needed one of these things to be available.

But man, reading the steam comments (I know, I know). 'Waste of munitions when you can just respawn' - which also means a 20+ second wait to come back in, which is a long time to be missing people from defense, especially if they're AT. Also the risk of being spawn sniped off the garrison or OP when you come in. 'New commanders will drop that instead of supplies' - new commanders are learing, and will make mistakes. Just boggles my mind, it's a new tool for the commander toolbox. That's always good.

-Loki- on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My steam ID is Uncle Juggs if anybody is on tonight.

It's my last night of quarantine with Covid 2 Electric Boogaloo and I guess I'm just gonna be Hell Let Loosing it up.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    latest Hell Let Loose content release 12 is out, adds a bunch of new stuff including a new map, night variants of existing maps, and more as -Loki- posted above
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfQlb-Nomo

Having soured on Battlefield 2042, I've jumped back into Hell Let Loose; if you have a squad leader that knows what they're doing, it's an excellent experience. it's amazing how night and day BF2042 and Hell Let Loose are, one is made by a major studio yet lacks basic functionality that's present in HLL

eddizhere
    edited August 2022
    I have done it.

After what feels like about 70 hours of playing Assault, I have unlocked rank 9. I have every satchel loadout.

If they make flamethrowers Assault rank 12 I’m going to fucking scream.

Also, I've played Remagen quite a few times now and it really doesn't seem to suffer from the central bridge. You get the same things happen - player skill loads one side and it's a steamroll, player skill is evenly spread and it's a decent back and forth fight. A good airhead will bypass the bridge entirely, and the underside catwalks means you can get to the other side without running the gauntlet.

The playerbase is still trying to figure the map out, but it seems fine.

-Loki- on
    Drovekemp123Zavian
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I have done it.

After what feels like about 70 hours of playing Assault, I have unlocked rank 9. I have every satchel loadout.

If they make flamethrowers Assault rank 12 I’m going to fucking scream.

Also, I've played Remagen quite a few times now and it really doesn't seem to suffer from the central bridge. You get the same things happen - player skill loads one side and it's a steamroll, player skill is evenly spread and it's a decent back and forth fight. A good airhead will bypass the bridge entirely, and the underside catwalks means you can get to the other side without running the gauntlet.

The playerbase is still trying to figure the map out, but it seems fine.

I find the night version of Remagen way better since there's no snipers on the hill and makes going across the bridge a lot 'easier'

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    If you are looking for a military shooter with a bit more tonnage, Gunner, HEAT, PC! just entered early access. Looks like a less srs bsns Steel Beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeGqaykkhqA

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    Dixon
    I finally stuck with MG in HLL long enough to get to level 3. It’s amusing that the Germans get the absolute beast MG42 and US get… another BAR.

I’m still not a fan of the class. Too slow and static for my play style, but I’m glad I stuck with it at least to know how the class plays, so I can better fight MG players.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I finally stuck with MG in HLL long enough to get to level 3. It’s amusing that the Germans get the absolute beast MG42 and US get… another BAR.

I’m still not a fan of the class. Too slow and static for my play style, but I’m glad I stuck with it at least to know how the class plays, so I can better fight MG players.

Hey it's better than the Soviets who get...nothing.

Soviets in general get very little. One SMG that they put a drum mag on for variation, no LMG, their AT gun sucks, no satchel class.

I’m not well versed on what Russia used in WW2 but that’s real thin.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Soviets in general get very little. One SMG that they put a drum mag on for variation, no LMG, their AT gun sucks, no satchel class.

I’m not well versed on what Russia used in WW2 but that’s real thin.

For LMGs is pretty close. Maybe add a class that could deploy a Maxim HMG like the AT crew can?

For Rifles its basically the Mosin, the Mosin, the Mosin and then maybe an STV. So they got that right. You'll see people ask for the Federov Avtomat but those were super rare and not used past the Winter War with Finland.

The one place they could add is maybe is in SMGs, but how you make a PPS-43 feel different from the PPSH. Maybe a lend leased Thompson?

The lack of satchels seems weird, but I don't know enough about that topic.

At is in a weird place for them. While the use of AT rifles through out the war is accurate, it does leave them outgunned. They could give them captured German rocket launchers, or lend-leased US bazookas. I do know they were big on magnetic at grenades so that might be a cool substation for a satchel.

I don't have enough experience with the AT guns, but I always did find it weird the German get the 75mm PAK 40 while the allies get 57mm. Especially because German gets great rockets and great tanks. Could of given them a 50mm PAK 38, or let the Russians have the 76mm Ziz-3.

The 43 is at least as different from the PPSH as the MG-34 is from the 42.

Huh, I assumed it had the same blistering rate of fire as the PPSH.

The 43 can't single fire and fires 400rpm slower. Plus no drum mags.

Isonzo came out today. From what little I have played it is incredibly fun and a huge step up from Verdun.

Thanks to Hell Let Loose's "you can't do a mic check except in a game" thing, I spent an entire round talking into nothing.

Other features: my squad leader shooting me, the medic, in the face because he wanted me to respawn as supply, then immediately getting ganked and losing the OP he had just dropped.

Drovekemp123A Dabble Of Thelonius
    First thing I do when I get in game is ask ‘can you guys hear me?’.

MulletudeDrovek
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    I can't quite get into Hell Let Loose; I like the theme and the atmosphere, but the gameplay is not for me. It's especially frustrating when playing with an uncoordinated team.

I wish I got into Red Orchestra 2 during its prime; it seemed more much fun. I am hoping that Tripwire does Red Orchestra 3 one day.

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    that can be a major impediment to Hell Let Loose and big multiplayer games like it, commanders/squadmates can be such strong determinants for your experience, sometimes i just have to accept that i'm going to lose and play for my own fun and ignore whatever else is going on

another thing that i find annoying is simply finding a match in these games can be frustrating at times

Drovekemp123
    edited September 2022
    I've started playing Squad again.

Game flow is starting to click a little better for me but fuck this game has problems with enemy recognition. I get that that's a real problem in real life, but at some point you need to acknowledge this is a game.

Biggest culprit is friendly nametags take a couple of seconds to show up only when you put your reticule directly on someone, and then they don't appear they slowly fade into view, whereas Hell Let Loose has permanent grapes and blueberries on your team, so you know immediately if someone is friendly.

Which means you need to learn the uniforms on both sides of a match. But there's different armed forces on most maps, so it's not as easy as 'US', 'Soviets' and 'Germans'. I've died so many times just because I don't know the uniforms.

Which I get, there's a learning curve. it's a different game. But that one thing feels detrimental to the flow of the game.

-Loki- on
    Stick with friends, check your map constantly. I'll still wind up in situations where you're not sure if those dots at long range are friend or foe.

The best advice on uniforms I can give is to memorize key aspects of each team's kit, like the Brits helmets. The MEC uses the old "chocolate chip" camo. There are some match ups that are really hard. I've specifically seen Canada/Russia matches mentioned, but after a while you get the hang of it....for the most part.

I have learned to love tanks in HLL. Got my achievement for 100 kills, zero deaths in a Panther with a great crew tonight.

Lindemp123
    I still haven't done tanking. Or recon. I load in fast enough to do either, but I'm still having a lot of fun with infantry.

Another match of Squad down, and I grabbed Sniper since no one in the squad was doing it. The server popped up an amusing little note 'Remember to stay with your squad. You are not Chris Kyle.'

emp123
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally wanna like Isonzo but man, that game has a severe identity crisis. It's really arcadey but it's all bolt actions but they have no bullet drop but also hit like trucks so you can just blow someone in half a mile away but there's a lot of grenades and idk. Maps are pretty at least?

Hell Let Loose's lack of comms is turning me off on that game too even though I like the gameplay a ton.

Think I'm gonna give Squad a crack again and see how that goes. Everyone was pretty chatty in that last time I gave it a go.

Holdfast is fucking hilarious and probably the best game for just being drunk as hell tho. Since nobody's guns can hit the broadside of a barn it's the anti-sweat fest game of all games where people are just role playing and being dorks. Last time I played there was like a dozen of us in a pool swimming around and listening to Black Sabbath. 10/10 Probably don't wanna get this unless you're ok with a deeply unserious game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited September 2022
    But Hell Let Loose has comms?

There’s proximity comms, team comms and command comms.

Edit - I guess you mean people don’t talk much?

Yeah. If I’m in the mood for a chatty squad I’ll squad hop until I find one. Sometimes I want to shoot Nazis without interruption, so a quiet squad is nice.

-Loki- on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mean people not communicating. It's just not fun for me to be in a slower, more tactical game where everyone is dead silent. Especially with how much Contractors I've been playing and how much people use comms for teamwork and general shooting the shit in that game.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I’ve found on Australian servers it’s harder to find a silent squad than a communicative squad.

Aussies love to talk. Even if its talking shit between engagements.

Drovek
    I almost always play on [EASY] servers (US) because they have a rule that Squad Leaders MUST have comms. because yeah, Hell Let Loose without a SL that's communicating and placing down spawn points isn't fun at all

DrovekMulletudeJuggernut
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I need to get back into one of these. I haven't done much since WWII Online a year or three back. It's still going, but man is it dated.

edited October 2022
    They just did a brief of what to expect in Update 13 by the end of the year, and it's fairly meaty.

Russians get the T-70 light tank.
    A new Winter map.
    Winter uniforms.
    Driveable jeeps (!!!)
    Flamethrowers (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    RCON improvements.
    More cosmetics.

Man, there's some good stuff in there. I'm always up for a new map. Hopefully an Eastern Front map to give the Soviets a bit more playtime (possibly coinciding with their new tank). Driveable jeeps will be great for Recon squads, so they don't have to take a transport truck and tell everyone to get out as they go on their way, or worse, take and abandon a supply truck.

I am super ready for Flamethrowers. I already love using the Trench Gun. Give me more close up ways to obliterate people. Curious if these will damage tanks, or to domsething funky like kill the crew rather than the tank.

Big fan of RCON improvements. The community has been screaming for this for ages. More ways to find griefers and hackers is always welcome.

-Loki- on
    emp123
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Russians get the T-70 light tank.

What a coincidence that's what the Russians are getting today as well.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    DrovekasofyeunDixonemp123Tynnan
    I do wonder how realistic the T-70 will be. It's got a 2 man crew and a hand cranked turret, which gives it a very slow traverse speed.

Probably going to be a three man crew and dame traverse speed as the other light tanks.

edited October 2022
    there's also Commonwealth forces update coming:
    Lastly, we’re thrilled to announce that our aim is to release the Commonwealth Expansion as our first major update of 2023. We will be announcing an updated roadmap to reflect this in the coming weeks. Creating an Expansion with a whole new force, suite of weaponry and vehicles, as well as new maps is a time consuming process and one that we’re keen to get right. We’re excited to share this with you as we continue to work through its creation. We’re very excited to introduce a whole new theater of war and are excited for the new maps this enables us to develop.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/686810/view/3300600114581706437

Zavian on
    DrovekMulletude
    Not looking forward to getting kicked from a server because the map changed to a force I don't own

Won't it work like the Soviet DLC?

There’s no word that it’ll be a paid expansion/DLC do the current assumption is it’ll just be an update to the game the way Soviets we’re added.

The wording of the update indicates this - they say it will be the first big update next year, they don’t actually say it’ll be DLC.

I’m sure they’re aware DLC that adds maps and factions to a multiplayer game splits the community.

Zavian
    There’s no word that it’ll be a paid expansion/DLC do the current assumption is it’ll just be an update to the game the way Soviets we’re added.

The wording of the update indicates this - they say it will be the first big update next year, they don’t actually say it’ll be DLC.

I’m sure they’re aware DLC that adds maps and factions to a multiplayer game splits the community.

yeah that's my bad, I saw 'expansion' and thought DLC but they don't actually say that

Pretty excited for the commonwealth update. More guns to shoot is always good.

In the far-ish future, apparently Pacific theatre is next, word is end of 2023, and apparently after that they're done.

Which makes me sad because multiplayer games tend to die in the ass immediately when a developer says they are done and moving on to their next game, and I'm having a ton of fun with this.

Thought so, the new winter map is Soviet/Germany - Kharkov.