As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Vox Machina: Now with f@$%in dragons

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Rewatching now with Bulgarian girl, who is thoroughly enjoying it.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed season 1 but I fucking hate Percy.

(full season spoilers)
    So I've played in a group with a guy whose character literally was "I invented the first gun in the world and secretly I'm a Warlock but nobody knows that and I'm out for revenge because vampires killed my whole family here's my 20 page backstory in our first session; hey DM how does this random event interact with my backstory? does this enemy know anything about my parents? I'd like to interrogate this random-encounter-table orc because I suspect he knows something about the vampires why am I not the center of attention It's Been Ten Minutes". I've also played with two other people who were a grab bag of those things, so from episode 1 I was very, "Okay, Percy is the asshole character. Please let's not focus on him".

I just hope season 2 is less Percy.

So like in your spoiler, were your players inspired by critical roll, or was this just a weird coincidence?

The latter. This was... probably 15 to 20 years ago at this point. Which just goes to show how much that player apparently scarred me in that I watched the first episode and had immediate flashbacks and anger.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Minor thing I've been thinking of off and on:
    Anybody else think they kind of glossed over Percy shooting off a carriage driver's fingers a bit too easily? Even if Percy wasn't in his right mind when it happened and the real bad guys ended up defeated it would have been nice to maybe have a short scene where Percy asks Pike to restore that guy's fingers or something.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Minor thing I've been thinking of off and on:
    Anybody else think they kind of glossed over Percy shooting off a carriage driver's fingers a bit too easily? Even if Percy wasn't in his right mind when it happened and the real bad guys ended up defeated it would have been nice to maybe have a short scene where Percy asks Pike to restore that guy's fingers or something.
    Kinda/sorta, but Vox Machina are presented as a pretty morally grey outfit, and they did talk about it in a 'wtf, you were not in control, don't do that again' kind of way. Them being clear good guys will probably come later with some character growth.

• Options
    Interesting tidbits from the episodes 10-12 Q&A video (plus concept art):
    - One of Percy's ancestors grew a garden of poisonous plants behind Castle Whitestone, which the Briarwoods ended up using when they showed up.
    - If I understand correctly, Delilah's voice actress Grey Griffin says that Delilah's last words promising to wreak havoc were just an attempt to convince someone to kill her after Percy spared her rather than something she was actually planning.
    - Unused concept art for an Orthax/Percy fusion:
    6vxm4ycag3ko.png
    f4g31bf7iche.png

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh, and can I say, the moment I am most looking forward to seeing them animate:
    Vax leaving Percy in the bath with Vex popping up out of the water a moment later. Just an inspired visual gag that hasn't gotten a visual yet.

Do you happen to know the episode number this took place in?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Going by Youtube, E81
    (Clip of the scene in spoiler)

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I forgot that they had a
    guest player

in that episode. Solid gold moment.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    So...

It's been awhile (I know what I wrote, get it out now). I'm dead tired, so this'll be quick. Season 2 was announced at New York Comic Con. It's set to air sometime in January of 2023. We pick up right where we left off with goddamn dragons. Also they've greenlit season 3.

https://gizmodo.com/prime-video-critical-role-vox-machina-s2-first-look-1849623384

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4a4IoyNkwU&feature=emb_title

• Options
  • Options
    Would've posted this sooner but forum bug(s) are a pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmlwr-qFQeA

Get hype y'all.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I really hope the end of this season is better than the end of this arc in the show. It was a bit of a wet fart of an ending there.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Based on the episode titles on IMDB, the arc will last two seasons.

https://imdb.com/title/tt11247158/episodes/?season=2
    First season looks like it will go up to the Umbrasyl fight, plus shifting the trip into the Fey realm for Vex's bow earlier.

If i had to guess, they'll probably really play up
    feeblemind and Scanlan's death, possibly up to his resurrection and leaving the party
    at the end of the arc.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Tonight’s Crit Role is…not streaming! Cause of the premiere tomorrow. I’m attending an early showing of it at a Cinemark. I’ll be watching from the last few remaining seats in the right hand side of the front row. My neck will be killing me tomorrow.

Update: It was fucking awesome seeing the dragon attack on the big screen.

SixshotStriker on
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    OHAI LANCE REDDICK

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I do not believe that the ending of episode 3 was not planned knowing that that's where the first wait would be...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm a very late follower of Critical Role.

I watched first season of Vox Machina and thought it was just a little too much at first. Just a little annoying but then they got to Percy's arc and I was blown away with how well done it was.

Then I tried to do the podcast and all I felt was 'Holt shit every episode is four hours long and goddamn they need a fucking editor'.

Anyway, while working on my daughter's doll house my phone shuffled into some random Critical Role season 3 episode. I had no idea what was going on or who was who, but the voices made it clear there was a very BIG DEAL going down. At some point, some PC stabbed another PC in the back and there was this massive inhalation of every other voice in the scene followed by a chorus of 'What THE FUCK?!'

And that's when I realized you're not listening to a well curated game. Critical Role is just like the games when I was a teen. Sometimes somehow the smallest story hook becomes a massive thing and you just roll with it.

Critical Role is great, but definitely needs an editor. I started season 3 at the beginning to find out what's going to and there's a lot of dead air, but this Fresh Cut Grass fella seems interesting.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I watched first season of Vox Machina and thought it was just a little too much at first. Just a little annoying but then they got to Percy's arc and I was blown away with how well done it was.

Then I tried to do the podcast and all I felt was 'Holt shit every episode is four hours long and goddamn they need a fucking editor'.

Anyway, while working on my daughter's doll house my phone shuffled into some random Critical Role season 3 episode. I had no idea what was going on or who was who, but the voices made it clear there was a very BIG DEAL going down. At some point, some PC stabbed another PC in the back and there was this massive inhalation of every other voice in the scene followed by a chorus of 'What THE FUCK?!'

And that's when I realized you're not listening to a well curated game. Critical Role is just like the games when I was a teen. Sometimes somehow the smallest story hook becomes a massive thing and you just roll with it.

Critical Role is great, but definitely needs an editor. I started season 3 at the beginning to find out what's going to and there's a lot of dead air, but this Fresh Cut Grass fella seems interesting.

I can't deal with the dozens of unedited episodes per season, but I did love the Prequel episodes with Brennan this season. That was a fun little interlude. I've also loved the one offs they've done over the years. They've all been great.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    There's so much dead air and whole scenes that could be cut for a tighter and smoother show, but I get why they don't.

I'm rewatching season one before season yet and wow, the leap in quality between episode two and three is huge. Scanlan figures out his character and we get some nice establishing motive with Kayleth.

It's all very good.

• Options
    I don't want them to edit it. It's very much not supposed to be a production-quality product, like Vox Machina the show is, or like many podcasts or programs or whatnot. It is a "live" session of D&D, and the tangents and sidetracks and whatnot are often pretty fun. It's not live anymore, technically, but that only changed during Covid (and they kept it 'cause it was easier).

I can see a demand for a "production quality" and edited and polished version of a D&D session, but that's not what I'd really like. (Obviously to some extent they know they are releasing this to hundreds of thousands of people and whatnot, but the intent is for it still to be genuine.)

Now they just have to keep making Vox Machina (and eventually one for the second season) and never stop and then we get the best of both worlds :tongue:

Steam profile
  • Options
    Yo season two rules!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    A DnD game definitely does not need an editor.

That kinda defeats the entire purpose of what it is. It is not a written show. The entire idea is just watching people play DnD. They just happen to be voice actors and entertaining individuals.

That would make it an entirely different thing than what it is.

Oh and first 2 episodes of the new season are great so far!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    A DnD game definitely does not need an editor.

That kinda defeats the entire purpose of what it is. It is not a written show. The entire idea is just watching people play DnD. They just happen to be voice actors and entertaining individuals.

That would make it an entirely different thing than what it is.

Oh and first 2 episodes of the new season are great so far!

I want to listen to the story they tell together with the highlights of the rpg being used, not all the dead air, ummms and time spent figuring out rolls or rules.

I think its safe to say they both styles of RPG shows can be successful, but it certainly doesn’t defeat the purpose, one just cleans up some of the chaff, and one doesn’t.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    oh, I entirely disagree.

with actors, and ones not entirely averse to improvisation in particular, the breaks in conversation and communication can be essential to the eventual joke.

some setups will need hours if not several episodes of buildup for the pay-off.

season 1 of the live game works because of that. Also it was a relatively new format at the time and people gave it time to breathe. Personally I would say that the more professional it has gotten a bit of charm has been lost.

This would also be one of the few critiques I would give to Dimension 20, they are too professional and too set up "properly".

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I think the animation does a fine job as a cleaned up version of the tabletop experience. I doubt there is a huge audience for a 3rd in between product.

• Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    oh, I entirely disagree.

with actors, and ones not entirely averse to improvisation in particular, the breaks in conversation and communication can be essential to the eventual joke.

season 1 of the live game works because of that. Also it was a relatively new format at the time and people gave it time to breathe. Personally I would say that the more professional it has gotten a bit of charm has been lost.

This would also be one of the few critiques I would give to Dimension 20, they are too professional and too set up "properly".

Editing and having long setup jokes isn’t mutually exclusive. Its not like there is just one kind of “editing”.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I love the idea of watching the live game, I just wish I had the several hours necessary to devote to it.

The Prime show is about as close si can get.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    There's plenty of edited podcasts out there for D&D play, like Greetings Adventurers and The Adventure Zone. Critical Role is livestreamed (Well, pre-recorded now, but "live" in that it's unedited). They don't all need to conform to one thing.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I love the idea of watching the live game, I just wish I had the several hours necessary to devote to it.

I think this is where I finally land. I started season three because a random episode like twenty shows in played and some real dramatic stuff happened.

I want to know what happened but...there's twenty plus episodes four hours in length!

• Options
    I enjoy the unedited stuff when it’s shorter. Like i loved the prequel series Brennan ran for them. Like 6 episodes and only 24ish hours. I can make that work without getting behind.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    scherbchen wrote: »
    oh, I entirely disagree.

A good example of bits that take full episodes to fully form, and was mostly done during rules discussions, is the metagaming pigeon re-occurring bit from the second campaign.

never die on
  • Options
    I enjoy the unedited stuff when it’s shorter. Like i loved the prequel series Brennan ran for them. Like 6 episodes and only 24ish hours. I can make that work without getting behind.

For sure. I wasn't familiar with Brennan's DMing until the Calamity mini series. That was, honest to god, some of the best storytelling I've seen in the medium. So it's definitely an easier entry into Critical Role, being shorter and also excellent.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I just do the audio version on podcasts (or minimized Youtube or whatnot). Pop in on in the car/bus and during boring times while working, and I can get through a couple episodes a week usually.

Steam profile
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I listen to it when working since it becomes background noise. I do this with a lot of streams too.

I have finished series 2 and caught up on 3. I am just ahead on series 1 of the TV show. It is so rough at the start.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So...

How 'bout that series? Reactions thus far seem to be as follows:

Episode 1: "Holy shit they go hard!" and "Are we sure we didn't click on the season finale by mistake!?"
    Episode 2: "Nice RP episode." Also, shoutout to the artists/animators that snuck Caduceus into the Wildmother temple.
    Episode 3: "What the shit is that cliffhanger!?"

• Options
    Its felt a little stilted so far, like some oddly framed exposition dumps. I'm still having fun with it though. Better than the first half of season 1, but not as good as the 2nd half.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

I can't deal with the dozens of unedited episodes per season, but I did love the Prequel episodes with Brennan this season. That was a fun little interlude. I've also loved the one offs they've done over the years. They've all been great.

Calamity may be the best actual play content I've ever seen.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Added benefit there of it only being 4 episodes so a lot less of a commitment to see the story.

And it had Purvan Sol in it! Who I googled and thus
    knew what was gonna happen in ep 3 of this.

Still, love it.

Man an animated version of Calamity would rule.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Monwyn wrote: »

Added benefit there of it only being 4 episodes so a lot less of a commitment to see the story.

And it had Purvan Sol in it! Who I googled and thus
    knew what was gonna happen in ep 3 of this.

Still, love it.

Man an animated version of Calamity would rule.

See I think changing the media would necessarily remove a lot of the stuff that made Calamity stand out so much.
    "Please describe your character, with the understanding that your mouth is full of blood."

"Where is your arm weakest, at the elbow or the shoulder?"

"Brennan, you gotta cut this shit out, man. You can't, I can't, you gotta stop."

"You already saved against magic, now you're saving against physics."

Lou just straight-up walking away from the table

"HAS IT BEEN A SECOND YET? ONE SECOND?!"

[Any given instance of Aabria and Travis freaking out]

"Oh you cast Remove Curse? He effortlessly dispels it with a 9th level spell slot, then kills you again."

"Why you rolling so many dice? WHY ARE YOU ROLLING SO FUCKING MANY DICE?!"

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah that's true. We'll always have the original but animated versions would be neat.

Just put Brennan in as a narrator! And Lou to yell at him