As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Teflon Robe], Or A GST On Judicial and Prosecutorial Misconduct

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, in a number of other threads, we've discussed how it seems to be an ongoing wave of judicial misconduct - judges abusing their positions with little oversight to hold them accountable. With the disparate origins of those threads, it seems like this is something systemic, which would be worth looking into.

The good news: someone did.
The bad news: their findings are terrifying.

The very short version is that judicial misconduct is often handled behind closed doors, helping incentivize minor punishments. Furthermore, since many of these judges are elected (an incredibly goosey practice that needs to die in a fire), the private nature of judicial sanctions robs voters of key information in casting their votes, kneecapping a mechanism of judicial accountability. And even when judges manage to engage in misconduct so egregious that it does become public, they are often given the option of resignation in lieu of an investigation, further hamstringing accountability. And this misconduct has a real cost in denying people access to the court and tainting cases.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I would posit that there is no "wave" of judicial misconduct and that this shit has been going on in the US for decades, if not centuries, and it's only now that legal systems can't lean on media outlets to bury shit that we're getting to see the actual standard procedure of the legal system, not what we thought it was. No keeping this shit buried when a courtroom can have fifty cameras and reports of misconduct can go out to a half-dozen major sites out of the control of the media corporations.

The way bad judges seem to act totally without thoughts of repercussions would suggest a system that has reinforced that behavior for a long, long time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I would like to live in a country with the rule of law. The actual rule of law, where it applies to the powerful in society and keeps them in check.

Fuck this bullshit.

• Options
    I would posit that there is no "wave" of judicial misconduct and that this shit has been going on in the US for decades, if not centuries, and it's only now that legal systems can't lean on media outlets to bury shit that we're getting to see the actual standard procedure of the legal system, not what we thought it was. No keeping this shit buried when a courtroom can have fifty cameras and reports of misconduct can go out to a half-dozen major sites out of the control of the media corporations.

The way bad judges seem to act totally without thoughts of repercussions would suggest a system that has reinforced that behavior for a long, long time.

This is one of the reasons the refusal of the Supreme Court to allow cameras in oral arguments rankles me. The reality is that judges have been allowed to be petty tyrants in their courtrooms for a number of reasons, many of which fall back to the legal profession demanding that they be allowed to self police, and then demonstrating why that doesn't work.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Pretty much the whole concept of self-policing needs to die in a fire and be outlawed in this country. Fuck that shit.

Hell, I'd love to start seeing judges get run out of town when they start to be pissy about "they said nasty things about me in my courtroom." Like these fucking parasites need to get the fuck over themselves because everyone else has to the move the fuck on, but these shitheads get to play the whole "I'm a judge and I get to treat my courtroom my like little fiefdom!"

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    Pretty much the whole concept of self-policing needs to die in a fire and be outlawed in this country. Fuck that shit.

Hell, I'd love to start seeing judges get run out of town when they start to be pissy about "they said nasty things about me in my courtroom." Like these fucking parasites need to get the fuck over themselves because everyone else has to the move the fuck on, but these shitheads get to play the whole "I'm a judge and I get to treat my courtroom my like little fiefdom!"

The problem is that lawyers are pretty much trained to accept it. Some of it is due to judges routinely being vindictive geese - the articles I linked to talk about an OK judge who had local lawyers cowed because they knew that they and their clients would be targeted. (And it was revolting to see the OK chief justice throw them under the bus for his failings, saying they should have spoken up.) But some of it is cultural as well - one of the reasons I have little respect for legal commentator Ken "Popehat" White is that he claims to be opposed to the carceral culture in the US, but when people point out that judicial behavior like berating people in the courtroom is part of that, he's responded that "judges yell".

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I am awesoming the OP because we need to have this discussion, not that I think the topic itself is awesome.

• Options
    After reading this tweet by a critic of the plea bargaining system, I added prosecutorial misconduct as well:

I had the opportunity to speak with a prosecutor today about plea bargaining.

He insisted plea bargaining is necessary because sometimes it isn't possible to convict people they know are guilty at a trial.

Let that sink in for a moment . . . .

This is just WTF, and that prosecutor needs to not be one.

• Options
    So, would it surprise anyone here that the state supreme courts have a diversity issue:
    Rarely, though, do these powerful bodies resemble the increasingly diverse communities they serve. Each of our 50 state supreme courts has between five and nine justices, and in 22 states, that bench is all white—including in 11 states where people of color make up at least 20 percent of the population.

This includes states like Kansas and Alaska, which have never had a person of color sit on their high court bench in their entire history. And states like Pennsylvania, which had two justices of color on its high court in 1988, including the nation’s first Black female state supreme court justice, but whose high court today is all white. Only seven states have a supreme court bench where the percentage of people of color is higher than their representation in the state’s population as a whole.

There is also a striking lack of gender diversity. Female justices hold only 39 percent of all seats on state supreme courts. And at a moment when the U.S. Supreme Court will soon see four women in its ranks, 12 states have only one woman on their state supreme court bench. Thirty states don’t have any women of color serving as justices.*

This is a cataclysmic loss for the legal system, and for everyone who turns to courts to protect their rights and give their cases a fair shake. As federal District Court Judge Edward Chen pointedly observed: “How can the public have confidence and trust in such an institution if it is segregated—if the communities it is supposed to protect are excluded from its ranks?”

• Options
    The US Navy has a destroyer that they are unable to deploy, all because of one ideological judge:
    At this moment, the United States Navy is preparing to deploy a 10,000-ton warship carrying 320 officers and sailors, along with missiles, torpedoes, and a mounted artillery gun. This ship, known as a guided-missile destroyer, defends the United States and its allies on the seas. Although its next mission remains secret, it may bolster American military presence in Europe as Russian aggression pushes the continent into war. But the Navy cannot currently deploy this warship, because it has lost trust in its commanding officer, an anti-vaxxer who has repeatedly disobeyed lawful orders, misled superiors, and allegedly exposed dozens of his crew to COVID-19 due to a refusal to get tested.

The Navy wants to remove this officer, whom I’ll call John Doe, from command of the destroyer. But it can’t, because a single federal judge in Tampa has forbidden it. This judge has overruled multiple admirals and captains who assert, under oath, that deploying the ship with Doe in charge would imperil national security. He instead ordered the Navy, under threat of sanction, to keep this disobedient officer in charge of a $1.8 billion warship. The federal judiciary is quite literally preventing the nation from defending itself at sea.

That judge, Steven Douglas Merryday, is a George H.W. Bush nominee who sits on a federal trial court in Florida. He gained notoriety in 2021 after blocking a CDC order that limited cruise ship operations due to the pandemic. So, when the far-right Liberty Counsel sought to halt President Joe Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate for the armed forces, they took their case to Merryday’s court. Predictably, they prevailed: In February, Merryday ruled that the mandate violated the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, siding with the plaintiffs, Navy Commander John Doe and Lieutenant Colonel Jane Smith. (I’ve applied these pseudonyms to the officers because the court granted them anonymity.)

But Merryday did not merely exempt Doe and Smith from the mandate. Rather, he handed down a sweeping restraining order that prohibited the Navy from taking any “adverse action” against the plaintiffs because of their unvaccinated status. Specifically, he barred the Navy from reassigning them for any reason whatsoever.

This is just insane, and an unprecedented injection of the judiciary into the operations of the military.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    How the fuck does a judge break the chain of command like that?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    How the fuck does a judge break the chain of command like that?

By thinking he's the ultimate arbiter of events.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Clearly the answer there is to just ignore the ruling since the judge overstepped his bounds and has no authority to determine military personnel matters

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Clearly the answer there is to just ignore the ruling since the judge overstepped his bounds and has no authority to determine military personnel matters

Unfortunately, nobody wants to do this, thanks to institutionalism with regards to the judiciary, and the toxic belief that judicial independence means that the judiciary should be self policed. As LGM poster Paul Campos put it:
    In the coming days and years, liberals and leftists and even squishy centrists are going to have to decide if they’re OK with right wing judges carrying out a slow motion coup under color of law.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    So, how does a ruling like this come about?

* The commander in question has a belief that fetal tissue was used in the development of the vaccine. (This is technically correct, see below.)
    * The commander believes that, as a Christian, they have a valid religious objection to the vaccine, and puts in a request for a religious exemption. (Conservative Christians have abortion=bad as a foundational belief, so this checks out.)
    * While the Navy does have a religious exemption process, the process is to deny all requests.
    * (The Navy rejection letter assumes their beliefs are genuine, but there is no backup process in place because the risks of spreading COVID are too high, social distancing doesn't work properly on a warship, and we have a fucking vaccine. Get it, or get out.)
    * So, now it's a religious freedom issue, and the USA is always willing to take religious freedom past what is reasonable.
    * Religious freedom applies to the armed forces as well as the rest of the nation, so the judge does have jurisdiction.
    * The judge issues a preliminary injunction, because that's how these things work.
    * The commander might even win their case, because again, the USA is completely willing to take religious freedom past what is reasonable.
    Actual ruling

Now, about the aborted-derived cell lines. They were taken from two abortions, performed for the usual reasons, from back in the 70s and 80s, and then mass-produced. They're not used for the production of the vaccines, they just used them to make sure the vaccines worked on human cells and didn't have any horrifying side effects before injecting any actual people with them. Both the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptists have explicitly okayed the COVID 19 vaccines that used this testing. The people in question are basically rejecting the vaccine because somebody squirted some vaccine on a petri dish once. I could order some aborted-derived cell lines, drop some Aspirin in, and now Aspirin would be in the same category as the standard COVID-19 vaccines, as it would also have been tested on aborted-derived cell lines. (In theory. I doubt I can just get this stuff on Amazon.)
    https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/you-asked-we-answered-do-the-covid-19-vaccines-contain-aborted-fetal-cells
    http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/docs/vaccine/VaccineDevelopment_FetalCellLines.pdf

But let's play by asshole rules. There's more than one vaccine, and I found a page that helpfully lists out which vaccines have been tested on abortion-derived cell lines. My advice to the Navy would be to pick out a vaccine from the list that hasn't been tested on abortion-derived cell lines, order a thousand doses, and use those to vaccinate everyone that's playing stupid games over this. It's technically giving in, but in a asshole kind of way. (Fine, you've convinced us you have a (sigh) "legitimate religious objection" to the vaccine. Here's your vaccine that doesn't have that same problem.)
    https://lozierinstitute.org/update-covid-19-vaccine-candidates-and-abortion-derived-cell-lines/

• Options
    So, how does a ruling like this come about?

* The commander in question has a belief that fetal tissue was used in the development of the vaccine. (This is technically correct, see below.)
    * The commander believes that, as a Christian, they have a valid religious objection to the vaccine, and puts in a request for a religious exemption. (Conservative Christians have abortion=bad as a foundational belief, so this checks out.)
    * While the Navy does have a religious exemption process, the process is to deny all requests.
    * (The Navy rejection letter assumes their beliefs are genuine, but there is no backup process in place because the risks of spreading COVID are too high, social distancing doesn't work properly on a warship, and we have a fucking vaccine. Get it, or get out.)
    * So, now it's a religious freedom issue, and the USA is always willing to take religious freedom past what is reasonable.
    * Religious freedom applies to the armed forces as well as the rest of the nation, so the judge does have jurisdiction.
    * The judge issues a preliminary injunction, because that's how these things work.
    * The commander might even win their case, because again, the USA is completely willing to take religious freedom past what is reasonable.
    Actual ruling

Now, about the aborted-derived cell lines. They were taken from two abortions, performed for the usual reasons, from back in the 70s and 80s, and then mass-produced. They're not used for the production of the vaccines, they just used them to make sure the vaccines worked on human cells and didn't have any horrifying side effects before injecting any actual people with them. Both the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptists have explicitly okayed the COVID 19 vaccines that used this testing. The people in question are basically rejecting the vaccine because somebody squirted some vaccine on a petri dish once. I could order some aborted-derived cell lines, drop some Aspirin in, and now Aspirin would be in the same category as the standard COVID-19 vaccines, as it would also have been tested on aborted-derived cell lines. (In theory. I doubt I can just get this stuff on Amazon.)
    https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/you-asked-we-answered-do-the-covid-19-vaccines-contain-aborted-fetal-cells
    http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/docs/vaccine/VaccineDevelopment_FetalCellLines.pdf

But let's play by asshole rules. There's more than one vaccine, and I found a page that helpfully lists out which vaccines have been tested on abortion-derived cell lines. My advice to the Navy would be to pick out a vaccine from the list that hasn't been tested on abortion-derived cell lines, order a thousand doses, and use those to vaccinate everyone that's playing stupid games over this. It's technically giving in, but in a asshole kind of way. (Fine, you've convinced us you have a (sigh) "legitimate religious objection" to the vaccine. Here's your vaccine that doesn't have that same problem.)
    https://lozierinstitute.org/update-covid-19-vaccine-candidates-and-abortion-derived-cell-lines/

The big change was the judge's order banning "adverse action". Normally when one of these cases comes up, the military is rightfully enjoined from disciplining the individual prior to the ruling, but the courts grant the military wide latitude in personnel actions to maintain readiness, with the understanding that any attempt to wield this as a punishment would be treated as the military engaging in adverse action and would hurt them in the courts. So normally Captain Antivax can claim a religious exemption for his vaccination to be in ready status - and would promptly be given a desk to command. But this time, the judge has explicitly said that removing these individuals from their posts will be considered adverse action in of itself, so the military has a ship in whom they have no trust in its commanding officer, and yet cannot remove the CO.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Why in the hell would a court grant those officers anonymity?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I might be about to tread on a landmine here, but re: The judges being elected. This is an area i know zilch about (and to wit, for those unaware, i'm not an american either).

My impression is that judges being elected would fall into a lot of the same pitfalls that the american two-party system already suffers, yes? (Extreme tribalism for one) - and that in addtion to that, there's no system to ensure that voters have the information needed to make good choices, let alone the motivation to act on said info (Though the latter is hardly a uniquely american problem, it seems a notable issue for something as fine grained as electing judges).

So.. .what's the alternative systems for putting judges in position of power, and how do you prevent abuse or political capture of those positions through whatever new system?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The US Navy has a destroyer that they are unable to deploy, all because of one ideological judge:
    At this moment, the United States Navy is preparing to deploy a 10,000-ton warship carrying 320 officers and sailors, along with missiles, torpedoes, and a mounted artillery gun. This ship, known as a guided-missile destroyer, defends the United States and its allies on the seas. Although its next mission remains secret, it may bolster American military presence in Europe as Russian aggression pushes the continent into war. But the Navy cannot currently deploy this warship, because it has lost trust in its commanding officer, an anti-vaxxer who has repeatedly disobeyed lawful orders, misled superiors, and allegedly exposed dozens of his crew to COVID-19 due to a refusal to get tested.

The Navy wants to remove this officer, whom I’ll call John Doe, from command of the destroyer. But it can’t, because a single federal judge in Tampa has forbidden it. This judge has overruled multiple admirals and captains who assert, under oath, that deploying the ship with Doe in charge would imperil national security. He instead ordered the Navy, under threat of sanction, to keep this disobedient officer in charge of a $1.8 billion warship. The federal judiciary is quite literally preventing the nation from defending itself at sea.

That judge, Steven Douglas Merryday, is a George H.W. Bush nominee who sits on a federal trial court in Florida. He gained notoriety in 2021 after blocking a CDC order that limited cruise ship operations due to the pandemic. So, when the far-right Liberty Counsel sought to halt President Joe Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate for the armed forces, they took their case to Merryday’s court. Predictably, they prevailed: In February, Merryday ruled that the mandate violated the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, siding with the plaintiffs, Navy Commander John Doe and Lieutenant Colonel Jane Smith. (I’ve applied these pseudonyms to the officers because the court granted them anonymity.)

But Merryday did not merely exempt Doe and Smith from the mandate. Rather, he handed down a sweeping restraining order that prohibited the Navy from taking any “adverse action” against the plaintiffs because of their unvaccinated status. Specifically, he barred the Navy from reassigning them for any reason whatsoever.

This is just insane, and an unprecedented injection of the judiciary into the operations of the military.

Honestly I'm incredibly surprised that a federal judge can even make a call like this.

I would have expected the response from the Navy to be "Are you disobeying a direct order? Cool, here is where we court martial you, shithead." and that to be the end of it. At least as far as military funtions go.

Said shithead could then try and sue the Navy in federal court or whatever but I'd have expected that to be a thing that happened after he got his dumbass removed from the military. Probably while serving a prison sentence.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I might be about to tread on a landmine here, but re: The judges being elected. This is an area i know zilch about (and to wit, for those unaware, i'm not an american either).

My impression is that judges being elected would fall into a lot of the same pitfalls that the american two-party system already suffers, yes? (Extreme tribalism for one) - and that in addtion to that, there's no system to ensure that voters have the information needed to make good choices, let alone the motivation to act on said info (Though the latter is hardly a uniquely american problem, it seems a notable issue for something as fine grained as electing judges).

So.. .what's the alternative systems for putting judges in position of power, and how do you prevent abuse or political capture of those positions through whatever new system?

So just to clarify, this judge (and all judges at the federal level) was appointed, not elected. Judicial elections come at the state level and lower.

In general it's a better system than electing judges, except for the problem inherent in all judges, i.e. the extreme amount of power and lack of accountability that they're granted.

As for how to prevent abuse? There are a number of thoughts on this but personally I think it needs to be easier to get rid of bad judges. You can impeach them but that falls victim to the same political issue as all other impeachments: it requires 2/3 vote for removal in a political body that's as close to 50/50 split as can be.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

Honestly I'm incredibly surprised that a federal judge can even make a call like this.

I would have expected the response from the Navy to be "Are you disobeying a direct order? Cool, here is where we court martial you, shithead." and that to be the end of it. At least as far as military funtions go.

Said shithead could then try and sue the Navy in federal court or whatever but I'd have expected that to be a thing that happened after he got his dumbass removed from the military. Probably while serving a prison sentence.

So, here's the thing - while soldiers give up a number of liberties for good reason, they don't give up all of them, and religious liberty is one of those. (If you want to see what can happen when that gets fucked with, read up on the Sepoy Mutiny.) In addition, there's a reason that, no, you don't get to punish someone for a potentially unlawful order until the legality is hammered out. That said, the historic compromise I pointed out above has worked - the individual is protected from direct disciplinary action over contested orders, while the military is allowed to maintain readiness.

• Options
    There's probably some caution warranted from that Slate article though. It's pouring the dramatics on somewhat thick and we should remember that the Navy has a history of publicly ruining enlisted/officer reputations in order to cover up or chase off problems.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    There's probably some caution warranted from that Slate article though. It's pouring the dramatics on somewhat thick and we should remember that the Navy has a history of publicly ruining enlisted/officer reputations in order to cover up or chase off problems.

Maybe, if this wasn't the same fuckhead judge that's been known for playing fast and loose with judicial power taking precedence over the executive. This isn't the first time he's done something overstepping his bounds.

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular

The problem with electing judges isn't political. It's that the general population has no way to judge if a justice is good or bad. There's a whole bunch of tradition and guidelines along how they campaign. A lot of places even remove party affiliation which as an ideal is correct but removes yet one more signal that voters can use to identify beliefs. It basically makes it next to impossible to determine who to vote for even if you're willing to put in the effort to research the candidates and if you aren't it basically comes down to voting for the incumbent unless you have an explicit reason not to.

Appointments have a bunch of issues as well, but at least the person appointing them has the staff and methods to ensure the justice aligns with their values and thus indirectly the voters that elected them.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Also, there's no way an elected judge is ever going to apply the law against the cops. (I mean, appointed judges are a crapshoot too, but the odds are nonzero. And of course this issue applies to other subjects)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    asur wrote: »

The problem with electing judges isn't political. It's that the general population has no way to judge if a justice is good or bad. There's a whole bunch of tradition and guidelines along how they campaign. A lot of places even remove party affiliation which as an ideal is correct but removes yet one more signal that voters can use to identify beliefs. It basically makes it next to impossible to determine who to vote for even if you're willing to put in the effort to research the candidates and if you aren't it basically comes down to voting for the incumbent unless you have an explicit reason not to.

Appointments have a bunch of issues as well, but at least the person appointing them has the staff and methods to ensure the justice aligns with their values and thus indirectly the voters that elected them.

The issue is that of judicial independence - elected judges are accountable to the public directly, and as a result wind up having to play to the biases of the public to keep their jobs, even if doing so is counter to justice. For example, elected judges tend to be tougher on criminal defendants than appointed judges, especially if it's an election year. With appointment, there is a layer of abstraction that is supposed to serve as insulation from the public, which is supposed to allow judges to act in the interest of justice even when it may run against popular opinion.

That said, this is the theory, and the reality is much more complicated. We've seen cases where the popular sentiment is more in line with justice (the whole Aaron Persky situation is a good example of this, where a judge who routinely diminished the impact of sexual assault was given a pass by the legal community, resulting in the public voting to recall him), and in the legal community, there has been a growing sentiment of judicial inviolability, where the court is the judge's personal fiefdom and is given wide latitude in their conduct.

Edit: This is a comment by a lawyer talking about the failure of self-policing by the legal profession, which ties back to the issues of judicial accountability, and points out how this feeds into the crisis of elite impunity.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    This video of a NY Representative asking federal judges when they learned that their colleagues were abusers is just saddening and enraging:

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This video of a NY Representative asking federal judges when they learned that their colleagues were abusers is just saddening and enraging:

I'm not sure that's all that surprising.

I'd kind assume that judges abusing clerks happens almost exclusively behind closed doors.

Which doesn't make it any less reprehensible at all of course.

But sort of seems like that's how sexual harassment among "the elite" of our society goes down.

• Options
    But sort of seems like that's how sexual harassment among "the elite" of our society goes down

Kavanaugh is a perfect example of this. His preference for hot young women for clerks was well known. Enough for that creepy tigermom lady to make it a significant focus for new applicants.

• Options
    Judge tells President, Supreme Court to go fuck themselves over vaccine mandate:
    On Monday, O’Connor responded: No, I didn’t. Three days after SCOTUS’s order, he transformed the original lawsuit into a class action, increasing the number of plaintiffs 117-fold. This time, he held that the Navy does not have a compelling interest in requiring vaccination against COVID, contrary to what the Supreme Court’s decision last week implied. O’Connor noted that most of the force is already vaccinated, and that troops with medical exemptions are allowed to remain in active duty. It was “illogical,” he wrote, to deny religious exemptions while granting medical ones, so the mandate violates RFRA. He issued a new, classwide injunction shielding 4,095 service members from the vaccine. Then, begrudgingly, he noted that his order could not yet apply to deployment and assignment under the Supreme Court’s recent decision.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "Illogical"? What an asshole

• Options
    That judge has lost his fucking mind. Sticking your finger directly in the eye of the Supreme Court, which is already touchy about their legitimacy is certainly a choice.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    That judge has lost his fucking mind. Sticking your finger directly in the eye of the Supreme Court, which is already touchy about their legitimacy is certainly a choice.

Yeah, but what are they going to do about it?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I really want a judge to force these fuckers to point out the explicit part of their "religious" text forbids vaccines. That way we either get the scenario where they are force to admit that it's complete nonexistent horseshit or we can see what bullshit they are referencing and point out that it actually even isn't part of their religious doctrine. Also would have the bonus of kneecapping some of the right's shit, if they actually are forced to prove their shitty ideolog is actual shitty religious doctrine because I also see the angle these fuckers are playing at. Find something you don't like, scream that it violates your religious freedom and then try to get a court that won't fucking bother to see if it even exists as thing I the religion that the plaintiff belongs to.

Granted in regards to vaccines, I don't think there should ever be a religious exemption, even if their is some obscure religion that has something vaguely coherent enough to make such an interpretation. Like if some adult wants to be a martyr for their religion and it doesn't endanger someone else. So be it, but I draw the line when there is ample evidence that it can be a clear danger to others because no has a right to forcibly martyr others for their religious belief.

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

The judge likely won't face any punishment, but the ruling also isn't going to stand on appeal and it's likely the appeal will be decided quickly. It also excludes the main issue the Navy had.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah, it doesn't matter. Dude could literally take a shit in the middle of court and nothing would be done about it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Judge tells President, Supreme Court to go fuck themselves over vaccine mandate:
    On Monday, O’Connor responded: No, I didn’t. Three days after SCOTUS’s order, he transformed the original lawsuit into a class action, increasing the number of plaintiffs 117-fold. This time, he held that the Navy does not have a compelling interest in requiring vaccination against COVID, contrary to what the Supreme Court’s decision last week implied. O’Connor noted that most of the force is already vaccinated, and that troops with medical exemptions are allowed to remain in active duty. It was “illogical,” he wrote, to deny religious exemptions while granting medical ones, so the mandate violates RFRA. He issued a new, classwide injunction shielding 4,095 service members from the vaccine. Then, begrudgingly, he noted that his order could not yet apply to deployment and assignment under the Supreme Court’s recent decision.

There is a LOT of loaded language in that article.

The SC prevented the injunction from applying to deployment decisions, which means the Navy can just shuffle everyone involved into desk jobs while the suit goes through the courts, and the new injunction abides by that decision. My earlier advice for the Navy to source a vaccine that passes their stated objections stands, because there's a decent chance the Navy will lose at least in part.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I really want a judge to force these fuckers to point out the explicit part of their "religious" text forbids vaccines. That way we either get the scenario where they are force to admit that it's complete nonexistent horseshit or we can see what bullshit they are referencing and point out that it actually even isn't part of their religious doctrine. Also would have the bonus of kneecapping some of the right's shit, if they actually are forced to prove their shitty ideolog is actual shitty religious doctrine because I also see the angle these fuckers are playing at. Find something you don't like, scream that it violates your religious freedom and then try to get a court that won't fucking bother to see if it even exists as thing I the religion that the plaintiff belongs to.

Granted in regards to vaccines, I don't think there should ever be a religious exemption, even if their is some obscure religion that has something vaguely coherent enough to make such an interpretation. Like if some adult wants to be a martyr for their religion and it doesn't endanger someone else. So be it, but I draw the line when there is ample evidence that it can be a clear danger to others because no has a right to forcibly martyr others for their religious belief.

The moronic defense my far-Right brother uses is that the Covid vaccines were developed using stem cell research from aborted fetuses. Nevermind that the stem cells had nothing to do with the production or actual development of the vaccines and that the stem cells were only technically involved, because that's the card he pulled to get out of vaccination.

And the idiot has a degree in biology and was still anti-vax.

• Options
    There's never been any real validity to the stem cell line stuff because a bunch of over the counter medication used the same lines, and these people claiming religious exemptions probably take those meds all the time. But they. don't. care. If they weren't cherry picking excuses from fetal stem lines, they'd be cherry picking from something else. And if they couldn't find anything in the real world, they would just make something up. It's all personal politics trying to masquerade as legitimate arguments, and I really wish the court system would start dunking on these people.

• Options
    The folks at LGM point out the utter ridiculousness of the ruling throwing out the mask mandate on air travel:
    Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, the federal judge who just ruled that the Biden administration’s mask mandate on commercial air travel is illegal, is a 34 or 35 year old federal district judge. She has been in that position for a year and half, despite having acquired essentially zero meaningful trial experience in her extremely brief legal career, prior to starting to run federal court trials herself. She spent basically all of her time after graduating from law school either clerking for an all-star lineup of wingnut judges, including Clarence Thomas, or doing the kind of research scutwork at elite legal institutions that doesn’t require any actual courtroom experience.

Trial experience is overrated for appellate court judges, who are basically just law professors whose opinions actually count for something, but becoming a federal district court judge without any trial experience is the equivalent of throwing somebody whose driving experience consists of a few driver’s ed classes into the middle of the Indy 500. But of course that’s completely irrelevant to the reasons why Mizelle was put in a position that, in ordinary terms, she was utterly unqualified to occupy, as indeed even the staid and cautious ABA declared at the time she was nominated.

Mizelle is a Federalist Society alumna, and a radical reactionary: for example, she doesn’t think paper money is constitutional, which was a semi-respectable legal opinion in 1870, but would be considered stark raving mad by ordinary lawyers today. But of course what ordinary lawyers think today may soon be quite beside the point, as the American legal and political system is gradually taken over by radical theocrats who think all of the 20th century and much of the 19th was just one big mistake.

• Options
    I ended up down the rabbit hole after reading that post. This unqualified judge attended one of those tiny religious schools in the south. Another famous alumni of this school (though he only attended a semester,) was Mark David Chapman, the guy who murdered John Lennon.