As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited May 2023 in Games and Technology
ai9rtvcv6zy0.jpeg
f3d8zumwpayr.jpeg
l2bn7zqkwpgz.jpeg
tsq5rwrl4zy8.jpeg
uc5lsy1qxzez.jpeg
bjr8lr6nkzkb.jpeg

Though I can’t say I have any strong opinions about the video games.

Endless_Serpents on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    hn7gmutr3uo1.jpeg
    yzgarnjwc8kg.jpeg
    4rd7eiulkzh1.jpeg
    lv02kn59wava.jpeg
    9h83kgkknh6c.jpeg
    hkpiyp13cczu.jpeg
    375wp3wb7rt7.jpeg

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    That should do it.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    In my hour of need I called for a hero, and received… endless serpents! Even better. More thematically appropriate.

Anyway the new game is rad, I have the sneaking suspicion I will think it is Pretty Good in fifty hours, and Alright in another thirty after that. New Pokédex research quests really knocked it out of the park, now you have good reasons to get involved with the general landscape.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Arceus has turned me in to Morty after experiencing True Level.

Is it perfect? Hardly.

Graphics are pretty subpar for the Switch, maybe even subpar for the Wii U.
    It has some framerate issues, but honestly that isn't an uncommon problem on the Switch.
    No multiplayer battles, which is just an odd choice. It does have trading though. Who knows what the future may hold.
    It continues the bizarre trend of having you pick from some preset characters, despite having (for Pokemon) a robust character customization options in the game proper.

But for complaints from me that is about it. For now anyway.

In nearly all over regards the game is a fucking massive step in the right direction for the series.

Initial impressions from around the internet seem very positive and word on the street is that it has been breaking pre-order records. I've little doubt it won't be breaking sales records too. In fact I'll say it'll probably be the best selling in at least the last ten years.

If it ends up being as popular and well received as I suspect it will I honestly doubt Gamefreak could go back to the old style for mainline games without immediate backlash. IMHO they are absolutely on the right track here and it is damn impressive considering how far outside Gamefreak's wheelhouse Arceus is.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I haven't really figured out how I feel about Legends Arceus yet, but I do know that I'll be disappointed if they ever make another Pokémon game doesn't have battles happening on the overworld.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    So they do have that cord in game that costs 1000 mp so you can solo it if you want, but trade evos that dont have a hold item do still work as normal if you can find someone to trade backs with

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Lucedes wrote: »
    people have overhyped the graphics being bad. they're basic, they work, they're not gonna blow you away, if you want to gripe about them you can find plenty of fault.

Eh.
    During one of the "cutscenes" at the start, there were 4-5 human models talking in the room and they were animating fine.
    But the Abra in the background doing its idle animation in the same room?
    It's frame rate was terrible.
    Like I started paying attention to it when it's tail started slideshowing directly behind the talking character.
    And just, from different camera angles in the same cutscene, it went from 'fine' to 'why is it teleporting everywhere'

So just adding my +1 to 'got distracted by framerate issues without looking for them'

But that's been my only issue so far (1.5 hours in), and interested to see what happens when there's a herd of Pokemon on screen.
    I sort of need to look slightly closer at whether my Pokemon were supposed to be wigging out when I released them all though.

discrider on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Its worth noting that the behavior of framerate limiting increasing in distance further you get away has been in 3d pokemon since the first ones on the switch. It is something they seem to add to the culling procedures for performance. Bird pokemon flying above you are at like 2 fps even in prior games. Their general game building philosophy in the 3d games has been make close up look as pretty as they can and cull into the distance. This game's open world areas are performing tons better than the wilds did and are much bigger. They are getting better at it. They could try to spam in more but I think they are doing fine in their progression away from sprite based dev.

The game loop is just so much fun as well.

I need to talk more to the commander honestly.
    See if he can't teach me to wrestle Pokemon.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I need some sort of stealth-boosting gear. I've caught one Abra and scared off about 6.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have not finished a Pokemon game since Red/Blue.

The Pokemon game utterly stagnant.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    But the Abra in the background doing its idle animation in the same room?
    And just, from different camera angles in the same cutscene, it went from 'fine' to 'why is it teleporting everywhere'

I mean…. It IS an Abra, teleporting randomly is kinda their thing.

edited January 2022
    I need some sort of stealth-boosting gear. I've caught one Abra and scared off about 6.

Later on you can craft Smoke Bombs and Stealth Spray.

Also, this damn Gyarados is mocking me. Flying around, not taking my damn bait. I hit him with a couple Feather Balls, but alas no dice.

Axen on
    Eyy! First proper shiny, full odds Zubat right as I was about to head and fight the 2nd boss. Glad they don't lock you into those when you get too close. I literally heard the jingle right as they pulled me into some dialogue.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i just did the first of the
    noble pokemon battles

I thought it was super cool as a concept and just completely trivialized by the area design. I hope later ones build off of this though I think it was a great gameplay addition.

also after that i caught a big boofer bibarel and they keep their size! it's the greatest thing ever

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i caught a random lv44 murkrow when my main team was at 30... but i've been doing a lot of pokedex entries, so it obeys me.
    then i used it to start catching alphas based on type advantage. now all my monsters have HUGE GUTS.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    PLA spoilers
    This game has been a blast so far, right up until this 3rd Noble Pokemon fight. The snap around camera is godawful and I keep screwing up my dodges because of it.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Some early thoughts!

As someone who normally doesn't care at all about catching or collecting pokemon they did find a fun way to make it a simple part of the loop and make it rewarding to go out and catch pokes you aren't actually using!

The bad! Wtf is this interface. The year is 2022 and game are still coming out with all or nothing interfaces.

Another good! GYRO AIMING! The year is 2022 and a pokemon game that many people pan for not doing basic things despite being such a money filled company is putting in great basic options like this that somehow many other big ass companies aren't putting in their games! Next time a big AAA game with ranged attacks comes out on one of the other consoles without gyro aiming I'm calling them out!

Horizon! You better have gyro aiming!!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I think Switch devs feel more forced into Gyro support for aiming because of the tiny, inadequate sticks on the joy-cons. But yes every Sony game should be supporting it as an option, and it's a shame Microsoft still hasn't even caught up in their controller tech.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I think Switch devs feel more forced into Gyro support for aiming because of the tiny, inadequate sticks on the joy-cons. But yes every Sony game should be supporting it as an option, and it's a shame Microsoft still hasn't even caught up in their controller tech.

Yea it's like a complete game changer for me.

It fixes most of the big issues with controller aiming, including the primary need for back buttons/paddles. And causes me so much less hand pain. It should be a basic feature.

Oh and a fun thing I didn't notice at first incase someone else missed it.

You can walk around during a battle! A small thing but it's nice that you can move around and find different angles to watch moves from.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

You can walk around during a battle! A small thing but it's nice that you can move around and find different angles to watch moves from.

You can also be dmged and killed so be careful heh.

Later on you really have to in order to not get killed by the ultra-mega-fancy moves that Pokemon start throwing around. I think you can even get hit by your own Pokemon's moves.

On another note. Similar to Monster Hunter there will occasionally be outbreaks of a particular Pokemon in a zone. My recent one was an outbreak of Happiny, which was terrifyingly adorable.

Outbreaks have really good shiny odds too, like 1/150ish without any dex completion or shiny charm

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Later on you really have to in order to not get killed by the ultra-mega-fancy moves that Pokemon start throwing around. I think you can even get hit by your own Pokemon's moves.

On another note. Similar to Monster Hunter there will occasionally be outbreaks of a particular Pokemon in a zone. My recent one was an outbreak of Happiny, which was terrifyingly adorable.

I squealed with delight when I watched my wife get hit by her own Pokemon's moves.

This might be the first one I play myself since... Blue, I think?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I saw a pichu and rhe little fuck just started blasting thundershocks at me and then ran away.

Not expected

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Quick question for late game PLA
    Can you still do sidequests after beating the main story? Do you get shut out of any?

Currently let loose for the first time:

egwqvd2m9c40.png

Arceus MC two hours after arrival,

MC: "I shall make a life among these people and I will be their King."

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    This game gives me Xenoblade Chronicles vibes. Creeping around so that a high levelled monster doesn’t stomp you.

Axen wrote: »
    Arceus MC two hours after arrival,

MC: "I shall make a life among these people and I will be their King."

Well no.
    Which is why I'm wearing the t-shirt and thongs I fell out of the sky in.
    Fear is more important than frostbite.
    Presumably.

And just decimating Starly, watching them panic as the others nearby disappear one by one.

The girl PC is from Alola and she is woefully underdressed.

I sincerely doubt it's actually in Arceus, but everytime I see a new Warden I can't help but notice the very big, weird bracelet they're all wearing ala mega bracelets from those games.

Anybody know the moveset of the Alpha Snorlax? Wanna try to tank it with a drifblim

Anybody know the moveset of the Alpha Snorlax? Wanna try to tank it with a drifblim

IIRC it had both ground and ice moves

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I caught a bunch of lv 40-50 alphas in the first area by just throwing berries and then using heavy/leaden balls to back attack. If you run back into some tall grass and crouch while the ball is shaking you can prevent them aggroing you if they break out, so you can just throw another berry and try again.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Goose! wrote: »

IIRC it had both ground and ice moves

Curses!

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Pokémon to scale looks terrifying

Lol at the level 9 starter copping a hyper beam.
    That said, crossed the first bridge, and my first two pokes immediately fainted