As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Had first time warp.
    Couldn't ford a river in time to get it though.
    At least now I know that you get maximum height by jumping off your Wyrdeer's head, next time I need to jump it off a mountain into a river.

Second time warp was successfully resolved by going inside a house.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah my team just didn't have a good counter to him. I was able to finally get him with my Gengar with Thunderstorm but it was a chore. Ended up losing on the final pokemon of the champion. He was in yellow HP too. Sigh.

This is the remake you’re playing right? I just started playing BD myself and was doing some light research and found out they made the E4 and Cynthia way harder in the remakes for some reason. They all have nearly perfect IV mons and Cynthia’s are all perfect, and some have movesets that are outright banned in competitive play. I’m not looking forward to it at all :#

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    So I was breeding up some applins today just on a whim. And while I was being super inefficient i was just hatching a bunch of them looking for a calm one that I could then use to go for what I actually want stat wise. Then when I do hatch one, it's shiny and has best in every stat except atk which doesn't matter because calm. It didn't have the hidden ability but I thought it was cool. Oh and it's in a beast ball.

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Yeah my team just didn't have a good counter to him. I was able to finally get him with my Gengar with Thunderstorm but it was a chore. Ended up losing on the final pokemon of the champion. He was in yellow HP too. Sigh.

This is the remake you’re playing right? I just started playing BD myself and was doing some light research and found out they made the E4 and Cynthia way harder in the remakes for some reason. They all have nearly perfect IV mons and Cynthia’s are all perfect, and some have movesets that are outright banned in competitive play. I’m not looking forward to it at all :#

The game also kept the newer mechanics where there's a chance that your happy Pokemon will dodge attacks or survive with 1hp just to make you happy.
    I still struggled, had to spam healing items, and my last pokemon dodged an attack again and that's how I won my first time against Cynthia. Couldn't really call that satisfying but I was plenty happy to just be done with it.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Yeah I finally got her! Had to sacrifice a few mons to revive + max potion some of my heavy hitters (Gengar and Torterra literally carried me). But I was finally able to do it.

After playing it I liked it a lot... I just wish fighting didn't take so damn long to start, the text needs to be skippable in battles, and having the pokemon react to everything just takes precious time away.

Oh and I still really dislike the chibi style. Thankfully they look normal in fights.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Yeah I finally got her! Had to sacrifice a few mons to revive + max potion some of my heavy hitters (Gengar and Torterra literally carried me). But I was finally able to do it.

After playing it I liked it a lot... I just wish fighting didn't take so damn long to start, the text needs to be skippable in battles, and having the pokemon react to everything just takes precious time away.

Oh and I still really dislike the chibi style. Thankfully they look normal in fights.

I got about halfway through Brilliant Diamond and I'm not playing any more unless they patch in a 2x speed mode or something. Everything just takes so damn long.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I really, really need to work on being more open-minded to different options in games. I'm up to around the start of the third area in Pokemon Legends, having operated almost entirely on a policy of stealthing and long-bombing Pokeballs from outside the detection radius. Only recently discovered that, yes, mud and spoiled apricorns are in the game for a reason-- you can just run up, smack a 'mon in the face with one of them, and get an easy back-strike thereafter.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options

Probably beating a dead horse with this but I hated the visual style going into it and while there’s a DOF effect similar to Link’s Awakening that sorta helps I still think it looks like a lazy art decision to speed up development, which would track with all the other weird jank like getting hung up on every. Single. Corner.
    Which I probably wouldn’t bitch about as much if I wasn’t also helping my 6 year old son play Let’s Go Eevee a lot lately. Despite generally not really enjoying that game’s approach of catching loads of everything and no combat outside of trainer battles, it is really uh, quite stunning by comparison. Not just with the art direction but effort put into translating it into a larger scale than on the GB while maintaining the overall integrity of the map.
    Now uh, excuse me as I go play 4 Pokémon games concurrently across multiple generations in the insane pursuit of a living dex with unnecessarily stringent limitations placed on myself >.>

• Options

I got about halfway through Brilliant Diamond and I'm not playing any more unless they patch in a 2x speed mode or something. Everything just takes so damn long.

Yeah it's honestly painful. I like the idea that your pokemon get closer to you the more you use them and that relationship builds some positive aspects in battles. But for fuck's sake every fight doesn't need the additional prompt when it starts, and when you hit someone, and when they hit you, and when the turn ends.... I was tempted to keep using new pokemon to prevent all these extra dialog boxes.

And when I was trying to farm for some Lucky Eggs I ran around the field for like 3 hours watching a movie and only ran into a handful of Chanseys.

• Options
    I feel like chibi is fine with sprites, but with 3d models it looks like crap. It's one of my biggest hangups with world of final fantasy and bravely default.

I started putting work into finishing the Pokedex in swsh. This is going to take a hot minute, and lots of breeding random stuff I have to get pre evolutions. I'm only at like 260/400. Shiny charm is so far away.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    I really, really need to work on being more open-minded to different options in games. I'm up to around the start of the third area in Pokemon Legends, having operated almost entirely on a policy of stealthing and long-bombing Pokeballs from outside the detection radius. Only recently discovered that, yes, mud and spoiled apricorns are in the game for a reason-- you can just run up, smack a 'mon in the face with one of them, and get an easy back-strike thereafter.

I might have to keep this in mind.
    Considering my strategy in my third rift can be accurately described as 'AAaaAAAAaAAAaaaaA'

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Heads up to reset Ginter the guy who sells random bundles, evo items and the rotom appliances plus the farm you just need to catch 20 pokemon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I feel like chibi is fine with sprites, but with 3d models it looks like crap. It's one of my biggest hangups with world of final fantasy and bravely default.

I started putting work into finishing the Pokedex in swsh. This is going to take a hot minute, and lots of breeding random stuff I have to get pre evolutions. I'm only at like 260/400. Shiny charm is so far away.

If you need help I can trade you anything you need

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I might be addicted to research. *snip*

Good to know that the "catch a lot" bonus stops at 30.

Finally tracked down my remaining straggler wisps last night, got the thing. Now there's just Shieldon, Porygon, and (sigh) Thundurus (plus what he unlocks). Shame for the game to just fall on its face at the end like this. On the plus side, they did make legendaries laughably easy to catch. Status effect, red HP, ultra ball = near-guarantee.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    well I went 2 wins 2 losses in the online competition

not bad for someone who hasn't battled another player since...gen 4?

I just needed 3 games to get the shiny reward right?

e: is there no battle recorder?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I went two wins, one loss

Just threw together a rain team without any restricteds

Didn't actually bring Pelipper to any of the battles, since two of them were also rain teams but with Kyogre

Tapu Koko + Gastrodon is a pretty good anti-rain lead

It's fun when they do events like this with rewards everyone wants, cause you get to actually battle other noobs

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I went all losses but I also have zero badges in Shield. Threw some level 100 shiny (legendary?) monstrosity I got from a wonder trade on my team and filled out the rest with my lowly team if starting junk and hoped for the best. Managed to get my opponents down to one poke a few times but I had no illusions about doing well I just want pokemans for my dex.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    In the present day Sinnoh region, there is a an aristocratic family living in egregious material comfort entirely on the back of the robber-baron wealth accumulated through this packing guy's training fees.

On the other hand, by this point he's taught me how to pack an absolutely physically impossible amount of stuff into a very small handbag, so his techniques are the real deal...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I made significant progress today on my swsh Pokedex. It was something like 110 pokemon added. And I'll get to play a little more later as well. It was kind of insane how there were so many things I thought I had but didn't. So lots of it was just running around wild areas throwing quick balls.

Also after using up like 150 quick balls...

tuwf65x0txdm.png

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    In the present day Sinnoh region, there is a an aristocratic family living in egregious material comfort entirely on the back of the robber-baron wealth accumulated through this packing guy's training fees.

On the other hand, by this point he's taught me how to pack an absolutely physically impossible amount of stuff into a very small handbag, so his techniques are the real deal...

I honestly think Im gonna grind out 4 mill after I get all the Rotom items just to get that over with

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ok, so fourth rift spawned on top of me.
    Replaced 'AaAAAaAAA' with 'just run real fast' and made off with everything this time.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

his direct descendant? Bill, the creator of the PC storage system (or possibly Bebe, if you prefer). they're all developed out of his clearly supernatural space-compression techniques.

(probably not, but wouldn't it make sense??)

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Please, for the love of god, I WANT DETECTIVE PIKACHU NEWS! It's been THREE YEARS since they said "yeah we're doing it" with literally no info or footage. I still don't even know if they're porting Detective Pikachu 1 to Switch because the announcement was so confusingly vague!

Oh, and in side Arceus news, I went back to Pokedex-complete'n this weekend. Starting to perfect a handful of them, so of course the ones that give me shinies are random ass ones that aren't perfect :P I did finally get a Rotom mass outbreak and after a bazillion resets (despite perfect pokedex fuck you game) I finally got my shiny Rotom. I then proceeded to troll the shit out of myself because it literally makes the shiny chime sound every time you send it out to like, hit a tree or something. The first couple times I thought there was actually another shiny that had spawned somewhere before I realized it was my own dumb ass pokemon. I also got trolled as hell by the grass "this pokemon sees you and is mad and trying to kill you the player not in a battle" attack because it makes a super similar chime sound.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The shiny articuno is out

you need to go into online competitions again to get the results, then head to mystery gift for battle stadium rewards

Too bad they didn't give them perfect IVs like the shiny zacian/zamazentas

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So I think I’ve figured out what I was missing in Legends. There’s no Breeding.

Makes it really difficult to get a living dex, lol.

Maybe they’ll announce dlc expansions and add that in there. I’d be cool with that.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I definitely love breeding mechanics in pokemon, but I found PLA maybe the easiest game to make a living dex in, combination of high level Pokemon in specific areas and fully evolved ones that you usually don't see out and about like Rhyperior and stuff

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Main problem for me has been finding starters. Have yet to actually see those in the wild.

Also I really wish you could get more than 1 of
    Alolan Vulpix

That is one of my favorites.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Main problem for me has been finding starters. Have yet to actually see those in the wild.

Also I really wish you could get more than 1 of
    Alolan Vulpix

That is one of my favorites.
    That really bugged me, because it means I can't have an Alolan Vulpix and an Alolan Ninetails.

• Options
    The precursor to ww3 started today, but I finished my Pokedex and got a shiny charm, so at least I have that going for me.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Hippos are annoying as ever.
    Game gave me a shiny Tangela immediately after catching that alpha though, so clearly it thinks so too.

Just, can't sneak through water.
    Can't throw food into the water.
    Can't stalk the alpha without hippos spawning behind me and aggroing.
    All around just annoying.

Also just used one of those destructible rocks as a bridge. Might have to watch where I knock them down.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Is there a good place in the second area to get red tumblestones?
    I have like two hundred black ones but I don't want to get up and personal with all the pokes.
    I could try the sky tumblestones I guess.
    (Looks like scarlet bog somewhat obviously)

Also found a Turtwig in this area.

And my training team just got slaughtered.
    It's unfair.
    How am I going to do a no Pokemon run if the story insists on Pokemon battles.

discrider on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    discrider wrote: »

Just, can't sneak through water.
    Can't throw food into the water.
    Can't stalk the alpha without hippos spawning behind me and aggroing.
    All around just annoying.

Wait until postgame when you get to chase an obnoxious legendary through that area...

Caught that last night. Now all I need is two things that only appear in distortions. Why those temporal anomalies count for my Hisuan dex is beyond me.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    So I dug out my 3DS and am doing a pokemon White nuzlocke and... I found a shiny tympole as one of my first pokemon on route catches.

Gundi on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Been a minute since I fired up my Switch, and BDSP had an update? What did it do? Home access?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My Switch was in the process of breaking down when Legends: Arceus got released, so I didn't pay it much attention when it came out. Now that my Switch has been repaired, though, I decided to pick it up.

So this is probably the first Pokémon in a while I'm going in relatively blind. At the very least, I don't already know every Pokémon that's gonna make an appearance.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    So I dug out my 3DS and am doing a pokemon White nuzlocke and... I found a shiny tympole as one of my first pokemon on route catches.

I can't play any Pokémon game pre-X/Y anymore. Having a full team exp share is an absolute must, I hate having to rotate in my mons just to get them exp

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I am extremely sad that this is a real thing:

FFS at least put that in the headline.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Been a minute since I fired up my Switch, and BDSP had an update? What did it do? Home access?

I don't think so. It added the coliseum and some other multiplayer aspects.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I am extremely sad that this is a real thing:

FFS at least put that in the headline.

I've run into this several times in a bunch of games. It's fucking bullshit and it's designed to give you ad revenue.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I highly recommend only checking wiki pages and never looking at a game journalism website.