As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So I’m at the point where my dex completion in PLA is contingent on 4 pokemon that only spawn in Distortions. (And some remaining legendaries from the post game)

Remaining:

Rowlet
    Decidueye (or a lower one to evolve)
    Porygon
    Porygon Z (or a 2nd Porygon I can evolve)

That’ll complete my living dex too.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You know Laventon gives you the other two starters after beaten the main story right?

You don't need to find the rift spawns unless you want multiples/living dex

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    So I’m at the point where my dex completion in PLA is contingent on 4 pokemon that only spawn in Distortions. (And some remaining legendaries from the post game)

Remaining:

Rowlet
    Decidueye (or a lower one to evolve)
    Porygon
    Porygon Z (or a 2nd Porygon I can evolve)

That’ll complete my living dex too.

I just caught a spare Porygon tonight; got two in the same rift, completed the dex entries for the whole line. Now I'm just waiting on a Shieldon. It's got until Friday to show up.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I should probably look at these Dex entries to figure out whether I should be fighting Porygon at some point.
    At the moment, I'm just collecting all this junk that I don't know what it does, as well as Porygons (had two 2s in the last one, second one got away) in the rifts.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I kinda hope Arceus dlc introduces breeding. Once its gone you really miss it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Just an Egg stall attached to the paddocks.
    Just sells all the random eggs all your Pokemon are generating all the time.

Probably could label them based on paddock so you can maybe control breeding in paddock 15 by only putting specific Pokemon there.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So what is the point of breeding anyway? I never did it in any of the pokemon games. It seems you need a male and female pokemon (or a ditto) and you can just farm for EVs? Which is fine... I guess?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Clay keeps killing me in my White nuzlockes. Excadrill more like Excakill.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So what is the point of breeding anyway? I never did it in any of the pokemon games. It seems you need a male and female pokemon (or a ditto) and you can just farm for EVs? Which is fine... I guess?

Occasionally, it's the only way to get certain moves on specific Pokemon, as some moves can be passed from one species to another through breeding.

You're also thinking of IVs (individual values), which range from 0-31 for each stat, with 31 being the best. All Pokemon get a limit of 510 EVs (effort values) to distribute, but there's nothing stopping a Pokemon from having 31 in every IV, meaning some monsters are just plain better than others. Breeding was the only way to get such a result for a long time, before they invented Hyper Training (which maxes out every IV, in practice if not in actual effect).

Breeding also had mechanisms embedded in it to help ensure specific personalities, which again was the only way to do it before they created Mints.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    You know Laventon gives you the other two starters after beaten the main story right?

You don't need to find the rift spawns unless you want multiples/living dex

Oh, yeah I got those. I’m working on a living dex though (not including my active team) which is why I need 2 more rowlett line to finish it up.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

Another benefit is getting heaps of pokemon after only catching one. Say you start the game and choose Charmander, you can breed a bunch of extras, trade them to people for their Squirtles and Bulbasaurs, and now everyone has heaps of pokemon that would otherwise be harder to get.

• Options

Another benefit is getting heaps of pokemon after only catching one. Say you start the game and choose Charmander, you can breed a bunch of extras, trade them to people for their Squirtles and Bulbasaurs, and now everyone has heaps of pokemon that would otherwise be harder to get.

Ah yeah but it also requires a ditto... Does ditto exist in Arceus?

But I can see your point. I'd love to get a Charmander for my son in diamond & pearl. If I found one I'd have to pray I find another to trade to him.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

But I can see your point. I'd love to get a Charmander for my son in diamond & pearl. If I found one I'd have to pray I find another to trade to him.

It doesn't require a Ditto necessarily. 'Just' a female starter and then any compatible male Pokémon will do. It's just that, in order to get a female starter you'll probably have to save just before choosing the starter and then resetting the game every time you get a male until you finally get a female.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Home ahould be available soon and you can easily gts for one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    o shiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiwcdqMlCA

was not expecting that

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fire starter best starter.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

It doesn't require a Ditto necessarily. 'Just' a female starter and then any compatible male Pokémon will do. It's just that, in order to get a female starter you'll probably have to save just before choosing the starter and then resetting the game every time you get a male until you finally get a female.

Oh wait you only need a female to start breeding that type of Pokemon? I always thought you needed both. If that's the case does having ditto only make it so you can have either gender?

• Options

Oh wait you only need a female to start breeding that type of Pokemon? I always thought you needed both. If that's the case does having ditto only make it so you can have either gender?

So, Pokemon have what are called "egg groups" by the fandom. Bizarre though it may be from the standpoint of real-world genetics (after all, the only information we get is that the daycare people "found an egg"), you can breed any two Pokemon that share an egg group; the female determines what species the result is. (The canonical "what the fuck" example of this is is that you can pair a Skitty with a Wailord and get an egg.) When I referred to moves you can only get through breeding, it's generally across species lines (since if you bred two Pokemon of the same species together, they'd already have all the moves they could get).

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    o shiiit

-snip-

was not expecting that

I was not expecting it so soon! Oh man I am so happy it looks like they are sticking with Legends gameplay!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Sprigatito
    Fuecoco
    Quaxly

i love them

sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Fire starter zodiac theory decimated.

7mX99OK.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    So that presentation was like 80% trash and 20% hype. But new games look sweet. The trailer looked ROUGH in the same way the first Legends one did. Hoping they clean that up for release.

BTW, new region is Spain. I was trying to figure it out, starting to think the architecture looked Mexican. But then also remembered Spain would look similar. Google imaged Spain:
    sn0ty0643rma.jpg

Gee doesn't that look familiar :P

I REALLY hope this trailer means they are taking the gameplay from Legends for this. Cuz I want that so bad. Using the Legends engine is a pretty good sign of that I hope

Also STILL NO DETECTIVE PIKACHU WHERE THE HECK IS IT GAME FREAK?!?!?!

Edit:

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

So the thing about Ditto is that Dittos break the rules of breeding a little bit.

Dittos can breed with every other Pokémon out there (so no messing around with combinations of different Pokémon to figure out which ones are compatible - if it can breed it's compatible with Ditto), and the offspring is always whatever the other Pokémon species was.

So Dittos aren't necessary, they're just very convenient. And also one of those little aspects of Pokémon that you probably shouldn't think about too hard.

• Options
    Man those new games coming out like this year is... insane.

In a bad way? Like Arceus was a surprisingly good game but it had lots of rough edges. And then this game looks way, way more ambitious using what looks like the exact same engine? Like, yo, Pokemon Company, give yo folks a break. Jeez.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So that presentation was like 80% trash and 20% hype. But new games look sweet. The trailer looked ROUGH in the same way the first Legends one did. Hoping they clean that up for release.
    This will be three RPGs released over the course of one year. Don’t get your hopes up; it’s most likely going to be extremely derivative of Legends since…how much can you build on a game released not even a year ago?

Pokémon Company gives no fucks.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    I was not expecting it so soon! Oh man I am so happy it looks like they are sticking with Legends gameplay!

What indicates that?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The trailer calls it open world, and it looks to be running on like, the exact engine Arceus uses. Like, it looks identical. So that makes it seem like some Arceus stuff is definitely being carried over.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    The trailer calls it open world, and it looks to be running on like, the exact engine Arceus uses. Like, it looks identical. So that makes it seem like some Arceus stuff is definitely being carried over.

What about it makes it not look like the engine Sword and Shield use? It looks identical to them, to me.

Sword and Shield are also open world.

I highly doubt they're putting out two games back-to-back with the exact same style of gameplay. It's going to be Sword and Shield style. They would've been working on this game long enough that they didn't have time to see the positive reaction to Legends' shakeup and make it the new standard.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah theyve probably been doing world building and story stuff for a while, they're going to just port over all the 3d models they already have, and then do whatever optimizations they can. They're in a pretty good spot to release this shortly after Arceus. It's not like they're going from 3ds to switch models, they already have a lot of the art stuff done. I hope they do expand the Pokedex though since they don't have to redo lots of models.

• Options
    Yeah it kind of feels more Arceus than Sword/Shield but we'll have to wait for a gameplay video instead of dragging this argument along any further lol

• Options
    I did notice a bunch of Pokemon that I recognized from Legends... like, Budew, Combee, Psyduck, and Drifloon all in sequence.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fire starter zodiac theory decimated.

7mX99OK.png

Not until they show evos. I fan see Fuecoco becoming a snake-like creature.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They could go sheep/horse route with it.

Also, I feel like the trailer looked better to me than folks here seem to see. Interesting. I thought it was closer to the look of New Snap

• Options
    edited February 2022
    There's no way it doesn't become a bull honestly.

Although it might depend if its just a Day of Dead Pokemon rather than a Spanish festivities Pokemon

discrider on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Sterica wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    This will be three RPGs released over the course of one year. Don’t get your hopes up; it’s most likely going to be extremely derivative of Legends since…how much can you build on a game released not even a year ago?

Pokémon Company gives no fucks.

Literally this is my hope :P

Side note, been playing Arceus new content. It's surprising fun!! Despite no new areas or pokemon there's actually a LOT here, including a few random extra missions thrown in unrelated to what the trailer showed (ex: it adds a balloon race to Cornet Highlands). I've actually really been enjoying it. Seems to require you to beat the game tho as I noticed they referenced a scene from the ending.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    it's a crocodile tho?

I don't think they've ever drastically changed between something like a lizard and a mammal before

e: actually Snivy lost its limbs to become a snake so maybe that will happen

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It's a skull sugar apple.
    With legs

I guess there's some pokedex stuff out saying fire croc though

Croc wearing a Tauros skeleton then maybe

discrider on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I think the game looks fine. I hope the story is better than the last few have been. The wild areas are my favorite part of swsh. So long as they don't have some crazy long animation like dynamax clogging up battles I'll be happy.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I'm really digging these massive mass outbreaks, managed to snag a shiny Rowlett and Aipom already

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    It's a skull sugar apple.
    With legs

I guess there's some pokedex stuff out saying fire croc though

Croc wearing a Tauros skeleton then maybe

pretty sure its a chilli pepper based design

sig.gif