As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Oh also this trailer was the first time I noticed the pixel eyes of the violet legendary.

And it's absolutely perfect.

Yeah! I know nothing has been said, but it almost seems like a new type. Digital? Virtual?

A digital monster, you say?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hmm semi mechanic spoiler from leaks that may or may not be true but related to what we saw here..
    Leaks say you don't actually get the legendary to use as a party member until end game. And now I am INCREDIBLY disappointed. Dang nabbit.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh also this trailer was the first time I noticed the pixel eyes of the violet legendary.

Yeah! I know nothing has been said, but it almost seems like a new type. Digital? Virtual?

A digital monster, you say?

You mean Porygon?

Which... I hadn't thought of this before, but you know how Japanese has the whole R/L thing? Polygon.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

The game has the theme of past and future. You can see this in the new professors. With the legendaries, the one with the pixel eyes is the 'future' legendary and the other represents the past.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Woah. Do we get the legendary early on and actually use it throughout the game?

Thats really cool if so.

I am guessing it will work sorta like Ultra Sun & Moon where you gain access to the legendary early for riding purposes but you can't actually battle with it until late or post game.

Also even tho I was not really expecting to see it, yet another Pokemon Presents that refuses to acknowledge they announced Detective Pikachu 2 like three years ago... *sigh* Everyone always talks about Pokemon Sleep vanishing but this thing was announced alongside New Snap which has been out forever... Like I said, didn't really expect it here since this was obviously a Scarlet & Violet focused one (and showing DP2 is akin to announcing a new game since they haven't shown anything yet and would thus steal S&V's thunder). Still tho, where the hell is it Gamefreak? Gah..

Edit: Unrelated note, I have been farming Alpha Sapphire for a shiny Mudkip for so long now. Why do you hate me game? I just want a god damn pink Mudkip cuz I never shiny hunt the starters. Throw me a damn bone already! I do wonder if the Poochyena is shiny locked because I haven't seen that shiny either (not that it would matter, other than proving I have terrible luck here not seeing either of them shiny)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hmm semi mechanic spoiler from leaks that may or may not be true but related to what we saw here..
    Leaks say you don't actually get the legendary to use as a party member until end game. And now I am INCREDIBLY disappointed. Dang nabbit.

Well I mean yeah

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm curious about something they said about Terastallazing, namely that it "strengthens the Pokemon's type". It seems pretty clear that if you've got one of the rare ones from the raid battles (like the Gardevoir with the Water-type) that it's an additional type, and we already know how the calculations work around that, but what about the majority case where the Pokemon's Tera-type is the same as its usual type? My reflex is to assume that you actually wind up with two copies of that type, granting combined STAB, weaknesses, and resistances, which could be a really interesting tactical consideration.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Oh wow, I was watching this:
    https://youtu.be/ACF5g7xvnPo

Aside from pointing out Wooper's dex entry mentioned covering itself in poison back in Silver which is cool, he also points out that Adaman from Legends Arceus is the ancestor of Jacq! I totally didn't notice that but I think he's right. So Adaman was a teaser for Gen 9 all this time :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm curious about something they said about Terastallazing, namely that it "strengthens the Pokemon's type". It seems pretty clear that if you've got one of the rare ones from the raid battles (like the Gardevoir with the Water-type) that it's an additional type, and we already know how the calculations work around that, but what about the majority case where the Pokemon's Tera-type is the same as its usual type? My reflex is to assume that you actually wind up with two copies of that type, granting combined STAB, weaknesses, and resistances, which could be a really interesting tactical consideration.

I believe one of the leaks said it grants double-STAB but no additional weakness

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    tbh I feel like we really don't need double STAB, pokemon battles are already filled with OHKOs when super effective attacks are used

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I also noticed at least 2 different Sawsbuck forms in the trailer. I wonder if S/V will have seasons again or if it's changed to depend on the location

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    It looks like they are getting better with the open world stuff. Will be fun to see how well coop works!

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Chall wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

I believe one of the leaks said it grants double-STAB but no additional weakness

The leaks were also wrong because they said it didn't change the Pokemon type (which I'm assuming was a misunderstanding of the leaker since it doesn't *necessarily* change the type but it can as well). It really feels like something that's meant to shake up competitive to me - it's sort of like Hidden Power only the whole type of the Pokemon changes and your opponent isn't gonna necessarily know if that Gardevoir is Fairy/Psychic or like, Water type (which I am curious how that works with double types, like does it only change the first type or does it make it a single type?). Against the AI it probably doesn't matter all that much other than making you stronger ala Z moves, Dynamax, etc etc.

I would honestly be shocked if this didn't touch the weaknesses considering they said it changes the pokemon's type vs. just saying "it makes a certain move types stronger" or something. And honestly, it would be extremely lame if it was *just* STAB but for a different type than usual (though I'll be honest, compared to megas and gigantamax it is pretty underwhelming already... I hope there's a mechanic like gigantamax where certain pokemon get unique forms at least.. maybe there is and they just didn't want to reveal that yet...)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I have killed so many people today who have been yelling about how the red legendary has wheels but runs on all fours by replying to them with a gif of fred flintstone driving his car.

Zunde on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Fred's car's roller's are still rollin though, unlike Koraidon's wheels.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Red Legendary running instead of rolling is 100% Pokemon to me.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I am torn between sapphic dom professor and future tech pokecycle why would they do this to me

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Nintendo: Why not buy both?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Nintendo: Why not buy both?

You know, the funny thing is, I'm not sure I can think of any instance of that developed by Nintendo internally.

• Options
    Fred's car's roller's are still rollin though, unlike Koraidon's wheels.

Somebody pointed put they arent wheels theyre an inflatsble sack and its tail rolled up

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I have killed so many people today who have been yelling about how the red legendary has wheels but runs on all fours by replying to them with a gif of fred flintstone driving his car.

Watching the trailer, there's a couple brief moments where the blue legendary seems to be transitioning from running to rolling.

I'm thinking it might be something like HMs or the bike modes from Ruby and Sapphire, where you unlock different movement modes (we see them climbing up walls and gliding as well) which give access to new areas. Maybe we just didn't get to see all the modes on both versions in this trailer.

• Options
    In legends theres Climb glide bike and swimming so presumably those will be it for this game

Since they seem to be pushing a fully open world from the start you may get all 4 at once

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I unironically love the whale with legs. Whales with legs are Spanish, right?

Harukujira is the better name for it though.

Has an Ultra Beast vibe, which is a thing that should continue to exist.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    The leg whale has a fantastic name also

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    dang, now this pokemon thing is gonna get BIG
    all them Undertale kids will learn about it!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Toby should do TALUNDEER at some point, yeah.
    Contextual 4x'attacks' between paired monsters seems like fertile ground for hijinks.

Bit wary that it'd slide too hard into 'animal fighting is bad', but he'd probably find a good balance.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Throwing this in spoilers because I'd feel bad if it happens and I spoil it for someone, even though it's wild guesses and speculation
    So I wonder which Weak-Against-Fighting type the new Paldean Meowth will be? Rock, or Ice? A feline Rockruff would be neat, but an Ice type Persian could look more like a sabertooth tiger or something.
    I guess there should also maybe be some consideration for Sprigatito and their evolutions; Rock is vulnerable to Grass, but Ice is strong against it
    And I remember reading speculation that, because there was an eevee being featured in the anime currently (this is what the speculator said was true), we're more like to get a Paldean Eevelution, though I don't have my hopes up
    . . although looking at it, an ice type Meowth and a rock Eevelution would work with Sprigatito; Grass-Rock-Ice works out, iirc, as each is Strong against one and vulnerable to the other.
    I was also looking around at type combinations and have two main observations:
    1- it is absolutely criminal that we don't have a regular dragon/fairy type; and
    sunglasses-emoji- of the other unused type combos, I think the one I'd most be interested in seeing is fairy/fire, though electric/fighting would also be very cool.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I'm very confused about your speculation
    is a new meowth variant already rumored to be Strong Against Fighting? Did you mean Weak to Fighting?
    Because Normal/Dark/Steel/Rock/Ice are all weak to fighting

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Ringo wrote: »
    I'm very confused about your speculation
    is a new meowth variant already rumored to be Strong Against Fighting? Did you mean Weak to Fighting?
    Because Normal/Dark/Steel/Rock/Ice are all weak to fighting
    Oh yes I did, sorry, was looking at the chart backwards; edited that. And it's just both the other "modern day" regions with variants got Meowths, so I'm speculating on assumption. And the other Meowths are Dark and Steel, which along with Normal (Kanto Meowth), are all weak to Fighting, which is as good a wild guess way to narrow down the options as any).

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    Flying Pikachu...

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Covert Cloak

This hooded cloak conceals the holder, protecting it from the additional effects of moves.
    This one is on the website but not in the video

Also qxkl2ep65cj0.png

• Options
    Haha. Seriously, changing your type defensively is going to be real interesting.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Haha. Seriously, changing your type defensively is going to be real interesting.

Type shift Breloom has my attention

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ok I'm down for a new alien pokemon and a new snake /reptile pokemon egg move that seems pretty awesome for bulky boy team mate

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It annoys me greatly that they are still doing the 2 games fuckery.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The kid just beat the first of the big bosses in Arceus (Kleaver?). I'd say it's the first hard boss type character she's beaten in a game. Her love for Pokemon continues.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just started Arceus. I think I like the new twist on the formula? Having "get X amount of chonky Buizel" is pretty silly when "get X amount of Buizel" is also a thing and you can't easily tell who is chonky. Not bad otherwise.

Quick story: I somehow blundered into the rare spawn Eevee at the starting area right off the bat. I rejoiced, then despaired - I'm going to have to find seven more of those bastards to get all the forms, aren't I? I talked my OCD down to just getting three for the evolutions that require friendship, then wait on the others. I can more easily build friendship when they're lower level, and I can wait for higher-level Eevees for the forms that just require having them eat/gawk at/whatever a stone. Okay, so I left and went back. No Eevee. Leave, return. No Eevee. Took me six tries to get another one. A few more tries for the third - and in my impatient running, I spooked the Eevee in the grass. Two more no-shows, then spooked another one.

I was about to give up when the gate guy casually mentioned a mass outbreak. Huh, what's that? Let me look at the map... holy crap Eevee stampede! I ran over there and started hucking balls like a pitching machine on meth. Snorked up the last one just as Kaiju Rapidash casually wandered over and curbstomped me. Worth it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    My one tip for Arceus is: Don't Get Bogged Down

There are so many quests/goals/etc you can fulfill just noodling around with whatever catches your fancy. Don't assume you need to do anything first, or right away, or even at all - it's likely you'll find everything you want in the course of playing the game. Even that stupid Buizel

Edcrab's Exigency RPG