As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Would anyone who owns Pokemon Sword be willing to trade me for the Shield equivalents?

Try these codes if you can't get all you need from this thread: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Thank you, but I was looking to complete the Dex in Gen 8, not 9. Got it taken care of for the most part either way.

You can use Pokemon HOME to get everything. It's pretty easy to get trades going on the GTS there and then transfer everything back to Shield. I *think* you can use that without paying? I honestly forget. (edit: yes, you can do it with the free plan, you just can't do three at once, only one at a time)

Thank you so much for this. I got a bunch of stuff I needed from this. And god, it's just a grim reminder of how awful the random link trade system is compared to the GTS. As long as what you're asking for is reasonable, someone will give you what you need in no time.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Finally hatched a shiny Froakie after about 18.5 boxes, so right around proper shiny charm/Masuda method odds. So glad to finally have my shiny frog after loving the design of it since it was introduced in X and Y. Think I'm gonna go for a shiny Fuecoco next.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Would anyone who owns Pokemon Sword be willing to trade me for the Shield equivalents?

Try these codes if you can't get all you need from this thread: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Thank you, but I was looking to complete the Dex in Gen 8, not 9. Got it taken care of for the most part either way.

You can use Pokemon HOME to get everything. It's pretty easy to get trades going on the GTS there and then transfer everything back to Shield. I *think* you can use that without paying? I honestly forget. (edit: yes, you can do it with the free plan, you just can't do three at once, only one at a time)

Thank you so much for this. I got a bunch of stuff I needed from this. And god, it's just a grim reminder of how awful the random link trade system is compared to the GTS. As long as what you're asking for is reasonable, someone will give you what you need in no time.

Awesome! Yeah, it's super nice. I honestly think this is a better way to implement the GTS but of course, the problem is they don't advertise it AT ALL so a lot of people aren't even aware it's available :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Finally got up to Ultra Ball rank in Ranked Battles. Here's my team if anyone wants to critique it (I especially wonder if I could be getting more creative with Tera Types):

Annihilape
    Ability: Defiant
    Tera Type: Ghost
    Item: Punching Glove
    Moves: Rage Fist, Drain Punch, Poison Jab, Bulk Up
    Notes: Poison Jab is very useful against Iron Valiant and Azumarill (the former also often uses Spirit Break, helpfully boosting Annihilape's attack power with Defiant). Initially I put Annihilape on the team to guard against Maushold's Population Bomb.

Armarouge
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Tera Type: Fire
    Item: Petaya Berry
    Moves: Armor Cannon, Psychic, Reflect, Light Screen
    Notes: The Petaya Berry's effect gets triggered more often than I expected it would, usually right before Tera Fire Armarouge uses Armor Cannon. I'm thinking about replacing either Reflect or Light Screen with another move, possibly Clear Smog to sabotage opponent buffs or Will-o-Wisp to burn physical attackers.

Baxcalibur
    Ability: Thermal Exchange
    Tera Type: Ice
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Moves: Glaive Rush, Icicle Spear, Crunch, Iron Head
    Notes: TBH Baxcalibur uses Glaive Rush 90% of the time and Icicle Spear 9% of the time. I don't know if I've ever won a match where I used Crunch or Iron Head.

Clodsire
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Tera Type: Ground
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves: Earthquake, Megahorn, Toxic Spikes, Yawn
    Notes: Yawn is very, very useful on its own. Megahorn is situationally useful and unexpected, though I may switch it back out for Gunk Shot, or perhaps even Recover (IIRC it's an Egg/Picnic Move for Clodsire).

Lokix
    Ability: Tinted Lens
    Tera Type: Bug
    Item: Focus Sash
    Moves: Axe Kick, Leech Life, Sucker Punch, Taunt
    Notes: Axe Kick is a fun move that I've luckily not missed often with. Taunt also has been a lifesaver. I don't often use the Tera Orb on Lokix, but Tera Bug Lokix's Leech Life hits pretty hard.

Scovillain
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Tera Type: Normal
    Item: Loaded Dice
    Moves: Bullet Seed, Crunch, Giga Drain, Overheat
    Notes: I EV trained to make a mixed attacker. I had Tera Blast until recently when I faced a Dragapult that either resisted or was immune to all Scovillain's moves. Bullet Seed is on here primarily in case of Mimikyu, but with Loaded Dice equipped its pretty reliable.

Hexmage-PA on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    so I was thinking about possible starter lines for a Pokémon fangame (not that anyone here would infringe on international intellectual property law in such a way), and I was thinking seedot/litwick/polywag might be an interesting idea, all being 3 stage guys with a stone evolution for their final evolution (maybe allowing for a stone reward for a story beat), and also adds the fight-ghost-dark secondary typing as an interesting wrench to throw into the normal fire/water/grass typing.

the only issue is that litwick is pretty good, polywag is pretty bad, and seedot is absolutely awful. also they each get their secondary typing at a different point. As a Pokémon enjoyer, do you think having these Pokémon changed (ie. stats, level up moves, etc.) to make them more even would be better or worse than just having a more normal starter trio?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    SLyM wrote: »
    so I was thinking about possible starter lines for a Pokémon fangame (not that anyone here would infringe on international intellectual property law in such a way), and I was thinking seedot/litwick/polywag might be an interesting idea, all being 3 stage guys with a stone evolution for their final evolution (maybe allowing for a stone reward for a story beat), and also adds the fight-ghost-dark secondary typing as an interesting wrench to throw into the normal fire/water/grass typing.

the only issue is that litwick is pretty good, polywag is pretty bad, and seedot is absolutely awful. also they each get their secondary typing at a different point. As a Pokémon enjoyer, do you think having these Pokémon changed (ie. stats, level up moves, etc.) to make them more even would be better or worse than just having a more normal starter trio?

I'll be honest, I can't even remember what Seedot looks like. *Google Image Search* Oh, that one.

Changing existing Pokémon to make them better instead of just using better ones or creating unofficial new starter seems like an odd decision, IMHO. If I was making a fan game I'd probably give out Poipole as the starter since it's Pokedex entry says it is used as a starter Pokémon in other worlds.

SLyM wrote: »

Funny you bring that up, because I've been playing Legends, and was thinking about what they could do for a sequel. I realized it should be Pokemon Legends AZ, and be about the Pokemon War in X/Y. Then I thought about the starters, and realized if it's going to set in medieval not-France, then a good choice for the grass-starter would be Snivy (since Serperior is based on European nobility much how Samurott is based on Japanese nobility), and the water-starter would be Piplup (because...Empoleon). Still having trouble with the fire starter, or what the final form variant types would be (grass/Dragon for Serperior?).

Sneak peak at the upcoming 1.2.0 patch: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60277/~/how-to-update-pokémon-scarlet-and-pokémon-violet#v120

Notes say that there will be additional changes that will be talked about closer to release. They're adding more Box functionality. All I want is the ability to release multiple Pokemon at a time.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Anybody here dump a ton of time into Pokemon Quest? The free game that came out, let me check, in 2018? Most fun I've had with Pokemon in a long time.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Cruor wrote: »
    Sneak peak at the upcoming 1.2.0 patch: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60277/~/how-to-update-pokémon-scarlet-and-pokémon-violet#v120

Notes say that there will be additional changes that will be talked about closer to release. They're adding more Box functionality. All I want is the ability to release multiple Pokemon at a time.

those tera raid fixes should have come ASAP, not months later.
    especially
    Nintendo wrote:
    A bug that can prevent an opposing Tera Pokémon’s HP gauge from properly reflecting damage done by certain moves (such as Play Rough) or certain status conditions may occur in Tera Raid Battles, resulting in the Tera Pokémon’s HP gauge fluctuating in an unusual manner. This will be fixed.
    and
    Nintendo wrote:
    A bug that can temporarily prevent a player from entering any input into the game may occur if a Tera Pokémon takes certain actions while the player is choosing the target of their move. This will be fixed.

Better late than never, i guess, but that's why hotfixes exist.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm surprised they're patching at all. Not that they shouldn't, I just have low expectations for Nintendo games changing at all post-launch.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

those tera raid fixes should have come ASAP, not months later.
    especially
    Nintendo wrote:
    A bug that can prevent an opposing Tera Pokémon’s HP gauge from properly reflecting damage done by certain moves (such as Play Rough) or certain status conditions may occur in Tera Raid Battles, resulting in the Tera Pokémon’s HP gauge fluctuating in an unusual manner. This will be fixed.
    and
    Nintendo wrote:
    A bug that can temporarily prevent a player from entering any input into the game may occur if a Tera Pokémon takes certain actions while the player is choosing the target of their move. This will be fixed.

Better late than never, i guess, but that's why hotfixes exist.

Theyre pretty good about fixing it major issues if the game has an online component or it lets you get money in animal crossing

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited February 2023
    I have a feeling that some of the stuff this patch will do is being withheld until late this month to coincide with announcements of new content at Pokemon Day. I assume some sort of announcement of supporting features that will tie into DLCs, or even adding a hype builder Paldean form Pokemon, sorta like they did with Galarian Slowpoke in the run-up to the SwSh DLCs.

Cruor on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I hope one of the fixes is for the issue of not being able to unlock one of the ruin pokemon vaults.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    I have a feeling that some of the stuff this patch will do is being withheld until late this month to coincide with announcements of new content at Pokemon Day. I assume some sort of announcement of supporting features that will tie into DLCs, or even adding a hype builder Paldean form Pokemon, sorta like they did with Galarian Slowpoke in the run-up to the SwSh DLCs.

I, for one, am stoked for Paldean Unown.

I, for one, am stoked for Paldean Unown.

We do need an Unown for ñ, what with Paldea being Poke-spain.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Paldean Meowth. Only main game variant that Meowth doesn't have yet

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    For those interested, the new Pokémon anime features these two as the protagonists. I wonder what's in the "mysterious Pokéball"?

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    For those interested, the new Pokémon anime features these two as the protagonists. I wonder what's in the "mysterious Pokéball"?

I presume it's actually a thin casing for the GS ball.

Hmm that design looks a lot like the sphere pokemon mentioned in post game lore

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I've been playing Violet for a bit and you know... I really like it. Technical issues aside I think it's one of my favorite overworlds... Maybe? I don't know. I have done 1 gym, 1 titan, and 1 Team Star grunt so I'm still early on and so maybe it starts to wear thin later but I am enjoying it. I just wish it didn't look like ass lol. But thankfully I haven't run into any real bugs that cause issues with my gameplay.

Pokemon Presents on the 27th, 9am EST. About 20 minutes long.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I've been playing Violet for a bit and you know... I really like it. Technical issues aside I think it's one of my favorite overworlds... Maybe? I don't know. I have done 1 gym, 1 titan, and 1 Team Star grunt so I'm still early on and so maybe it starts to wear thin later but I am enjoying it. I just wish it didn't look like ass lol. But thankfully I haven't run into any real bugs that cause issues with my gameplay.

if i could mentally disassociate that the pokemon company and nintendo make a brajillion dollars off this brand, i would think that the game was just fine. It's only that i expect better because i know it could be better that scar/vio becomes less. It's a fun pokemon game and they definitely did some good things. I would like to see a little more refinement to the tera raid stuff, including not having to fly around the map to get to them on my own world, being able to do them online without a 80% chance of disconnect, and changing tera-types a lot easier.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly, I remain convinced that Scarlet is just the best Pokemon game, straight up. Good pokemon designs, fun writing, quite nice HTTYD-style story, mechanically solid.

About the only issue I have with it is the weird bugs - and even then, like, I've been a PC gamer for over two decades, I'm just used to NPCs every so often starting to walk on air, that's just stuff that happens, it doesn't even register until I actually stop to think about it., so it doesn't bother me.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I am happy that they're fixing bugs with patches, and the upcoming patch fixing problems with tera raids is especially necessary, what with them having event Pokemon you can only get (for now) through raids.

There is a bug I hope they never fix, however. In a picnic, if you throw out a ball and start spinning in place, sometimes your Pokemon will hit the ball into you in such a way that it pops you up a couple feet into the air. As long as you keep spinning, you'll continue to float there in mid-air. Once you stop spinning, you'll do a Looney Tunes-esque double take and fall to the ground. It's funny every time.

New 7-star raid has been announced as water-tera Pikachu. Are we getting surfing Pikachu?!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    New 7-star raid has been announced as water-tera Pikachu. Are we getting surfing Pikachu?!

It can already learn Surf by TM. But there's no way the raid one doesn't have it.

...but is a 7-star pikachu actually going to be scary? It's stats aren't that high.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited February 2023
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly, I remain convinced that Scarlet is just the best Pokemon game, straight up. Good pokemon designs, fun writing, quite nice HTTYD-style story, mechanically solid.

About the only issue I have with it is the weird bugs - and even then, like, I've been a PC gamer for over two decades, I'm just used to NPCs every so often starting to walk on air, that's just stuff that happens, it doesn't even register until I actually stop to think about it., so it doesn't bother me.

I personally think LA is better, but not by a lot. What LA has over SV in polish, SV beats it in ambition. If Gen 10 combines the lessons from those two games and adds a little more time in the oven, we’re in for something truly special.

Zython on
    edited February 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »

It can already learn Surf by TM. But there's no way the raid one doesn't have it.

...but is a 7-star pikachu actually going to be scary? It's stats aren't that high.

Well would you look at that, it can. I just assumed Surf had remained something that only special event Pikachu could have, like Fly.

Edit: As to whether it'll be scary, maybe? They could have it pull off a bunch of pre-emptive stuff like setting raindance/electric terrain, using nasty plot a couple times, and then blasting something with a 100% accuracy super-buffed Thunder. It could also be holding a Light Ball, and it'll likely have Lightning Rod to punish people who see the Water tera type and decide to bring an electric attacker.

Cruor on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well would you look at that, it can. I just assumed Surf had remained something that only special event Pikachu could have, like Fly.

Edit: As to whether it'll be scary, maybe? They could have it pull off a bunch of pre-emptive stuff like setting raindance/electric terrain, using nasty plot a couple times, and then blasting something with a 100% accuracy super-buffed Thunder. It could also be holding a Light Ball, and it'll likely have Lightning Rod to punish people who see the Water tera type and decide to bring an electric attacker.

Iron hands comes out of retirement for one last job.

Holy hell I'm really, really enjoying Scarlet. It's been a while since I've been excited to actually fire up a Pokemon game.

Holy hell I'm really, really enjoying Scarlet. It's been a while since I've been excited to actually fire up a Pokemon game.

While Sun & Moon will probably always be my favorite, I think, bugs aside, this is probably the best mainline Pokemon game they've ever done.

edited February 2023

While Sun & Moon will probably always be my favorite, I think, bugs aside, this is probably the best mainline Pokemon game they've ever done.

Yeah the non-technical issues aside... The only thing I'd say is the music just isn't very good. I really don't like the new battle music and the gym battle music isn't NEARLY as good as in Sword/Shield.

urahonky on
    edited February 2023

Yeah the non-technical issues aside... The only thing I'd say is the music just isn't very good. I really don't like the new battle music and the gym battle music isn't NEARLY as good as in Sword/Shield.

While I like the music, I do agree other Pokemon games have done better in that category. One thing I do appreciate about it though is that there are definitely a lot of Spanish influences in the tunes and instrument choices (lots of Spanish guitars and such :3)

Also I think pretty much all the Team Star music slaps

Warlock82 on
    edited February 2023

The gym battle music in SwSh is S++ tier, gonna be hard for any main battle theme to beat it. However, there are some absolute bangers in the SV soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/uRbDCEJ23WI

Edit:
    Second song has potential spoilers, definitely don't look at the comments section. I replaced the video with a different one that has fewer potential spoilers

Cruor on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Honestly I think the soundtrack has enough standouts. All the Star themes are good, and the ending parts have some choice tunes in general.

The gym song is, admittedly, pretty eh after the absolute hype that was Galar, but Galar's entire thing was the gym hype, so, you know, kind of a given.

EDIT: @Cruor , I would think that one of those songs might be considered a touch spoilery to link to someone who just started the game?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Possible spoilers out there if you care about not knowing what is most likely in the Presents id be careful heh.

Changed the video link for the second theme and added a potential spoiler tag.

I'll keep an ear open for the music but so far I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to any of them.