As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Well, we have had a fire/ghost before with Chandelure too.

And Alolan Maroark!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I don’t know what would be good in match up terms, but I think this’d be neat:
    Water/Fighting
    Fire/Poison
    Grass/Dragon*

Because that cat is riding the dragon bay-bee haha 420 blaze it

Edit: Changed my mind.

My current theory is Grass/Water Fire /Grass and Water/Fire

I would love this

Also give me regional Grass/Fire Sunkern

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    79fOWfs.png

That's clearly a weed panther of some sort, which would be non-native to Spain.

420Lynx erry day

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Don’t they usually try and make the second typing somewhere in the fighting/dark/psychic/ghost/fairy circle to introduce the less obvious type matchups to newer players?
    I’d like derpy Dino to be fire/ghost. Because he’s obviously designed to look like a pepper, and why not a ghost pepper.

Had they not just done a fire/ghost starter I would have absolutely gone for that.

IIRC 3 of the last 4 Water starters went Dark (Greninja, Inteleon, and Hisuan Samurott; Primarina was a nice break). They can do back-to-back Fire/Ghost, especially when the previous one doesn't yet exist in the modern 'Dex.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Inteleon is a pure water type, none of the Galar starters are dual-types, in fact. Buuut they did do three fire/fightings in a row, so I don't think they're all that bothered about typing streaks necessarily.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    There are 7 fire/fighting Pokemon so they only need 5 more and they can put together one of those popular fire/fighter calendars I keep hearing about.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Inteleon is a pure water type, none of the Galar starters are dual-types, in fact.

My bad. My brain went "sniper spy" and assumed Dark was part of the package.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Inteleon is a pure water type, none of the Galar starters are dual-types, in fact.

My bad. My brain went "sniper spy" and assumed Dark was part of the package.

The closest is Cinderace having Libero to change its type.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    FB_IMG_1646171831681.jpg

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ugh...Can't stop thinking about we're probably only a few years away from Ebony Black and Ivory White.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Ugh...Can't stop thinking about we're probably only a few years away from Ebony Black and Ivory White.

I’ve seen that movie.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I still haven't played gen 5 so I would welcome that. But please for the love of god, don't make it look as ugly as BDSP. I was actually excited for that game until I saw it was basically a super lazy almost one-for-one remake (other than a handful of QoL things... but it was still an old grid-based blocky layout). I've been watching a let's play of Brilliant Diamond just cuz I'm curious about the story and the more I watch, the more I'm sure I wouldn't like this game anyways. The story feels so bare-bones, even more so than usual.

All that said, I'm tempted to rent the thing from like, Gamefly, just to get a save file to unlock stuff in other games :P I hate that I can't catch Darkrai in Arceus because I don't have a save file from those games.

Random side note, I just spent $20 getting my Alola pokemon in Home :/ First off, I think Bank flat out deleted the shit I had in there, which I don't know what it was but it was probably some legendaries :/ But they actually made me pay for BOTH Bank and Home to do a move. Kind of an asshole thing. Bank was like $5 for a year (lol) and Home was $15 for a year (I could have bought a month for like $4 but I figured I might actually use Home). But everything is moved now. I should probably boot up Sun to see who is in my party and see if I wanna move them too. I flat out can't find Ash-Greninja and I'm scared that was lost when Bank deleted my shit :/ (but maybe he was on my team?? *fingers crossed*). I'll have to move shit from Y too I suppose. I actually friggin' reinstalled Go to move stuff from there (ugg, so many things to click off from being away from the game for three years). Love how I can only transfer a certain amount before needing to pay coins -_- Thanks game.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Apparently you can't reset for shiny hunting mass outbreaks anymore if you update PLA

They still have high shiny rates but the spawns for each outbreak are completely set

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Apparently you can't reset for shiny hunting mass outbreaks anymore if you update PLA

They still have high shiny rates but the spawns for each outbreak are completely set

Yeah I heard this somewhere. Bummer. At least I have my shiny charm now so the chance should be pretty high.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I still haven't played gen 5 so I would welcome that. But please for the love of god, don't make it look as ugly as BDSP. I was actually excited for that game until I saw it was basically a super lazy almost one-for-one remake (other than a handful of QoL things... but it was still an old grid-based blocky layout). I've been watching a let's play of Brilliant Diamond just cuz I'm curious about the story and the more I watch, the more I'm sure I wouldn't like this game anyways. The story feels so bare-bones, even more so than usual.

All that said, I'm tempted to rent the thing from like, Gamefly, just to get a save file to unlock stuff in other games :P I hate that I can't catch Darkrai in Arceus because I don't have a save file from those games.

Random side note, I just spent $20 getting my Alola pokemon in Home :/ First off, I think Bank flat out deleted the shit I had in there, which I don't know what it was but it was probably some legendaries :/ But they actually made me pay for BOTH Bank and Home to do a move. Kind of an asshole thing. Bank was like $5 for a year (lol) and Home was $15 for a year (I could have bought a month for like $4 but I figured I might actually use Home). But everything is moved now. I should probably boot up Sun to see who is in my party and see if I wanna move them too. I flat out can't find Ash-Greninja and I'm scared that was lost when Bank deleted my shit :/ (but maybe he was on my team?? *fingers crossed*). I'll have to move shit from Y too I suppose. I actually friggin' reinstalled Go to move stuff from there (ugg, so many things to click off from being away from the game for three years). Love how I can only transfer a certain amount before needing to pay coins -_- Thanks game.

If you really wanted to get Ash Greninja back couldn’t you do the SuMo demo again and transfer it? I’ve not tried it myself so can’t confirm. You’ve already got the sub for Bank, it’s worth a shot!

• Options
    edited March 2022

If you really wanted to get Ash Greninja back couldn’t you do the SuMo demo again and transfer it? I’ve not tried it myself so can’t confirm. You’ve already got the sub for Bank, it’s worth a shot!

Maybe, I'm not 100% sure. I have a feeling Sun might have already registered me as having "claimed" Ash Greninja and I'm assuming like with Sword and Shield it doesn't support multiple saves :/ That was something I wanted to look into tho (maybe I can reset the Demo saves and re-do it?). Honestly that might be the *only* thing I really would have cared about, other then maybe if I had shinies in there? (I don't remember putting any but who the hell knows.. I DEFINITELY caught some in Sun, but maybe they were on my team and/or did get transferred). I feel like I could get anything else back for the most part (for example, I'm fairly sure I lost probably Celebei and the Golem trio as I recall them being free gifts for Home, unless I transferred them to Pokemon Y). I'll be curious to see what I have in Y though since I know at the time I was waaaaay into doing like the Gamestop "come here and get a code for a free mythical pokemon" thing so I think I have a bunch of those. Hoping I never transferred any of that to Home too (I can't imagine I did but I don't know *shrug*)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If you've got all your pokemon shuttled off to Home already, what's stopping a restart?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Kanden wrote: »
    If you've got all your pokemon shuttled off to Home already, what's stopping a restart?

Eh, I had a complete Regional Dex in Sun. It feels sucky to reset that progress :/ If I had some way I could backup the save, erase it and play enough to get Ash Greninja, then put it back, that would be cool. But I don't think that's possible.

Edit: Oh, and side note, I love that Home has wonder trade. I never bothered to install it until now so I didn't realize how many features it actually has. Do wish the GTS trading worked a little better tho. Like, lemme browse and see what people are offering up rather than having to know what I'm looking for...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    If you want stuff on the Home GTS the hot shit is Furfrou with a regional trim from Pokemon Go

transferring from Go is currently the only way to register Furfrou formes in the pokedex because in the actual games it always reverts to natural trim when put in the PC/Bank

I was finally able to get all 18 vivillion patterns (not including the basically impossible pokeball/fancy patterns) with the heart trim furfrous

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Yeah no transfer from Bank defintiely deleted shit for me too. im misisng most alola and kalos pokemon as a result

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    thanks, youtube recommended

https://youtu.be/IYOzlOg3bdA

• Options
    edited March 2022
    I ended up renting Shining Pearl from Gamefly :P I figure every Pokemon game seems to have unlocks for owning the other ones so Scarlet and Violet might have some for this too. And I sorta want Darkrai in Legends Arceus :3 I'll have to rush through so I can beat and catch the post-game stuff before my 30 day free Gamefly thing runs out :D I'd at least like to transfer stuff to Pokemon Home before I send it back.

Also, mostly beat the Arceus new patch content. There's still a handful of quests I can do, mostly related to the battle arena and battling stuff (and that one balloon race game that I know will be awful), but I did the main story quest. Which, is so weird. Is this trying to setup a DLC? What the heck is going on here?
    Randomly in the middle there is an imposter Mei who steals Mushroom Cakes from you, then this plot point is promptly ignored and never brought up again and never explained at all. And the whole thing resolves with nothing being learned other than some vague guesses that maybe the massive mass outbreaks are a test/gift for the protagonist? Like wtf? I'm so damn confused.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I assumed that fake Mei was just a Zorua that saw it's chance for some treats.

• Options
    Kanden wrote: »
    I assumed that fake Mei was just a Zorua that saw it's chance for some treats.
    Maybe but it felt so random. They just did that with the double Munchlax and at least there they revealed it was a Zorua. I dunno, it was really weird.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Would Pokemon Ultra Sun be worth a playthrough, if I've played through Pokemon Moon?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Would Pokemon Ultra Sun be worth a playthrough, if I've played through Pokemon Moon?

I can't speak personally as I've never played the Ultra games, but I've heard pretty bad things about them (as in, most of the stuff they added make the games worse than the base Sun & Moon). I think there are some new pokemon tho? (IIRC mainly new Ultra Beasts) And I know there is new story content. And like I said, this is only what I've heard so maybe I'm wrong here.

Edit: Unrelated, I may not have lost Ash-Greninja after all. I was looking at Pokemon Home over lunch and I did transfer a lone Greninja with my Pokemon Sun stuff. I thought originally it wasn't Ash-Greninja because it just showed up as a normal Greninja, nothing special. But examining closer, I noticed it has Battle Bond, a special ribbon, and says it came from a "fateful encounter" (which I think is what all the event pokemon said). Also looking at the Pokedex entry, the art for Ash-Greninja is unlocked there. So this *must* be Ash-Greninja. I have no clue why it just shows up as a normal Greninja though. Hopefully Pokemon Bank or something didn't revert the special-ness out of it (like if I were to take it out in another game, would it still be Ash-Greninja or just a normal Greninja?)

But in any case, good, this was literally the only one I cared about. Anything else lost to Pokemon Bank sucking can be re-obtained easily enough in another game (it would have likely just been either normal mons or legendary/mythicals, but probably not any "special" pokemon). I still gotta track down my Pokemon Y cart and see what I have stored on there.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I am becoming very aware that I’ve gotten very lucky so far with my Pokémon Bank account, I’ve never lost anything I’ve transferred into it even though I’ve let my account lapse a few times over the years O_o
    I’ve got Home as I plan on migrating my bank over eventually but the current plan is completing a Gen1 and Gen2 living dex on the 3ds VC plus just a general living dex comprised of whatever games I’ve got beyond that. Going for crazy but not too crazy. No shiny living dexes here just…want those little gameboy icons on all my gen 1 and 2 pokes and their regional forms.

• Options
    I am becoming very aware that I’ve gotten very lucky so far with my Pokémon Bank account, I’ve never lost anything I’ve transferred into it even though I’ve let my account lapse a few times over the years O_o
    I’ve got Home as I plan on migrating my bank over eventually but the current plan is completing a Gen1 and Gen2 living dex on the 3ds VC plus just a general living dex comprised of whatever games I’ve got beyond that. Going for crazy but not too crazy. No shiny living dexes here just…want those little gameboy icons on all my gen 1 and 2 pokes and their regional forms.

I'm honestly still debating if I wanna try to do something like that. Gen 1 I can always play Let's Go Eevee but it might be neat to buy Gen 2 and try to fill out that dex a little. But then I can also kinda sorta transfer a lot of that from Pokemon Go too (except the god damn WEEK cooldown on the transfers... oh, unless you spend money of course... *sigh*)

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I can't speak personally as I've never played the Ultra games, but I've heard pretty bad things about them (as in, most of the stuff they added make the games worse than the base Sun & Moon). I think there are some new pokemon tho? (IIRC mainly new Ultra Beasts) And I know there is new story content. And like I said, this is only what I've heard so maybe I'm wrong here.

Edit: Unrelated, I may not have lost Ash-Greninja after all. I was looking at Pokemon Home over lunch and I did transfer a lone Greninja with my Pokemon Sun stuff. I thought originally it wasn't Ash-Greninja because it just showed up as a normal Greninja, nothing special. But examining closer, I noticed it has Battle Bond, a special ribbon, and says it came from a "fateful encounter" (which I think is what all the event pokemon said). Also looking at the Pokedex entry, the art for Ash-Greninja is unlocked there. So this *must* be Ash-Greninja. I have no clue why it just shows up as a normal Greninja though. Hopefully Pokemon Bank or something didn't revert the special-ness out of it (like if I were to take it out in another game, would it still be Ash-Greninja or just a normal Greninja?)

But in any case, good, this was literally the only one I cared about. Anything else lost to Pokemon Bank sucking can be re-obtained easily enough in another game (it would have likely just been either normal mons or legendary/mythicals, but probably not any "special" pokemon). I still gotta track down my Pokemon Y cart and see what I have stored on there.

Personally, I loved Mantine Surf, which was a fun way to get BP for those competitive-level held items without actually having to do the Battle Tower. I remember any other gameplay changes being inoffensive enough; it was the changes to the plot I didn't like, where what they changed in an attempt to make one of the core villains more sympathetic / less overtly evil actually wound up making what they do less forgivable.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Kupi wrote: »
    Personally, I loved Mantine Surf, which was a fun way to get BP for those competitive-level held items without actually having to do the Battle Tower. I remember any other gameplay changes being inoffensive enough; it was the changes to the plot I didn't like, where what they changed in an attempt to make one of the core villains more sympathetic / less overtly evil actually wound up making what they do less forgivable.

Yeah, I think plot complaints were the main thing I remember hearing back then. I actually really liked the plot of the originals so it came across as a bummer to me.

Warlock82 on
  • Options

I'm honestly still debating if I wanna try to do something like that. Gen 1 I can always play Let's Go Eevee but it might be neat to buy Gen 2 and try to fill out that dex a little. But then I can also kinda sorta transfer a lot of that from Pokemon Go too (except the god damn WEEK cooldown on the transfers... oh, unless you spend money of course... *sigh*)

Maybe I’ve just reached that age, but since I grabbed all of the GB Pokémon games (including the card game which I always found to be a lot of fun as a kid) from the eshop that I didn’t have already, I’ve been putting about half an hour or so into them before bed and having a very nice time with them, possibly the nicest since they came out when I was a kid. If you’ve got any nostalgia for them and are willing to go back to the Stone Age compared to the QOL feature-packed newer games I’d recommend going that route.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah it'll be weird them remaking the best pokemon games.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Maybe I’ve just reached that age, but since I grabbed all of the GB Pokémon games (including the card game which I always found to be a lot of fun as a kid) from the eshop that I didn’t have already, I’ve been putting about half an hour or so into them before bed and having a very nice time with them, possibly the nicest since they came out when I was a kid. If you’ve got any nostalgia for them and are willing to go back to the Stone Age compared to the QOL feature-packed newer games I’d recommend going that route.

A lot of the QOL stuff is all needed due to a lot of the extra bloat that they've added to the games though. Sure there are some rough edges to the older games but if you just want a simple battler with some puzzles they're still great.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

A lot of the QOL stuff is all needed due to a lot of the extra bloat that they've added to the games though. Sure there are some rough edges to the older games but if you just want a simple battler with some puzzles they're still great.

Oh yeah I agree, I just know for some it is really hard to go back that far, is all.
    My 6 year old son watches me play RBY over my shoulder sometimes and is intensely curious about this “ugly” Pokémon game I’m playing. Hard to explain the concept of it being the same game, sorta, as his Let’s Go Eevee that we play together sometimes.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

The story is a little worse, but overall I'd say the games are better

Lusamine's arc is a little more rushed it feels like to fit in the Ultra Recon Squad stuff. But if Satanic Jesus has already played Moon, then they've already experienced the story once, so it's not like they lose anything. It's mostly the same

Ultra has a lot of quality of life improvements and much more pokemon to catch. The Rainbow Rocket post game story stuff is kinda cool. The Ultra Wormholes let you get a bunch of legends (though it's not nearly as cool as Max Raids in the Frozen Tundra DLC for SwSh)

Is it worth playing if you already played Moon though? Depends if you're looking for an excuse to play around in Alola again. Would say they're NOT essential to have played just to play, but it's a good pocket man game if you're looking to pocket some mans, IMO

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I only recently got UltraMoon, mostly for living dex and collecting sake, and I always thought the messaging on the UltraSuMo games was confusing to nonexistent; why do we want this? Is it a sequel ala BW2, is it a “3rd version” but split like the traditional games? And honestly it sounds like it’s neither and both?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It will be Black Diamond and Pearl White, just to confuse the entire playerbase.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I was a little disappointed they didn't go with something like Eternal Diamond and Infinite Pearl for the gen 4 remakes, relating to the powers of the featured legendaries.