Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    My favorite new pokemon theory is the fact that Dipplin can benefit from the Eviolite.

The current theory is it evolves into a caduceus of some sort since Dipplin is two pokemon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Maybe a double dipped apple Dipdipplin

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Been playing Detective Pikachu Returns. Super fun, though it's a bit of a shame, I feel like they lost just a little charm of the original. One thing that I kinda liked about the first one was that you could talk to literally EVERYONE (minus a very small number of unimportant npcs) including multiple copies of the same pokemon separately. Even if they weren't at all important to the case they usually at least had something fun to say and a lot of them (especially more important npcs) usually changed their dialog frequently as new things happened.

I kinda feel like DPR dumbs this down a bit unfortunately. A lot of people and pokemon you either can't speak with, share dialog (I've yet to see multiple pokemon of the same species you can speak to individually and occasionally humans and pokemon even share a dialog prompt) or have little one sentence blurbs over their head as you walk by. There were also a lot of random profiles for every character and pokemon you met that were updated as new info about them was learned and even bits of evidence that weren't specifically important as clues but still related to the case, maybe as suplimental evidence, personality or just flavor stuff. That's all cut from what I've seen.

I mean, I get it, they're streamlining things and I understand that, but it's just a shame. There was something just super charming about the little details like that which got smoothed over this time around. Other stuff like Tim's drawings seem missing which, yeah, there's no bottom touch screen now but also still a shame.

Will say, the segments where Pikachu teams up with other pokemon are fantastic though and honestly make up for a little of this. You actually get to speak directly with pokemon when playing as Pikachu rather than having him relay things so that does bring back a lot of the charm.

Also, the writing is frankly a little better here. I swear the original game treats a lot of the pokemon as very single-minded child/animal-like in how they obsess over things or totally misunderstand everything (and even Pikachu talking down to them like little children). It's cute (and sometimes makes sense for certain pokemon) but a little unrealistic to how intelligent some are meant to be. The humans weren't much better. I will never get over the RESEARCH SCIENTISTS who don't know which two colors make orange or how to solve a stupidly easy puzzle involving knowing the types of the pokemon they literally work with every day... The original game kinda had some super baby puzzles that grown ass adults couldn't solve and it was a bit baffling haha (it definitely improved as time went on but you can tell that game was designed for children mainly).

This new game feels a lot better in that regard. Pokemon can still be ignorant or single minded at times but it's in ways that make more sense for their species (like an ice type not realizing freezing an area makes it uncomfortable for non-ice types). They all have very distinct personalities now too which is really cool (especially when you can hear their dialog directly).

It's also been nice seeing Gen 8 pokemon (haven't seen any Gen 9 yet that I recall but I suppose they could show up?), or just more "weird" newer ones that don't tend to get a lot of screen time. First game did a lot of this too but that was limited to Gen 7 or older.

Interested in where the story is going. Unlike the first game I don't necessarily feel like I've predicted the entire plot a couple chapters in (to be fair, knowing the movie plot was a bit of a cheat but come on, they couldn't have made some things more obvious if they tried...) I'm also still very unsure if there's a new pokemon in here. Maybe it's just an existing one in a form I don't recognize (I have a guess if this is the case)... Very curious tho.

Edit: Aha, I see. I investigated my hunch and yeah, I believe it's not a new pokemon, just in a very unusual form. In fact the more I read the more convinced I am right about this.

Probably major spoilers unless I'm wrong haha:
    The Aurora Drop appears to be the jewel that makes up the core of Deoxys. Reading about it, that jewel is apparently its brain and Bulbapedia mentions Deoxys having the ability to create Auroras :P I wonder if this would be way more obvious if I knew more about Deoxys. He kinda came out when I got out of Pokemon. I just know he's from space and already suspected him due to all the meteorite talk. Backup to Cosmoem but the jewel really didn't look like it...

Edit: Oh nope, I'm not wrong because it was just spoiled for me in a youtube thumbnail. Why do people do that? Honestly glad I figured it out first on my own at least.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i have hopped back into pokemon and i am lost as hell so i'm just sitting here wonder trading to get some new mons i probably missed.

Looks like i probably stopped playing after greninja raid so it's definitely been like a year.

My main team is all lvl 100 raid mons, I have half a box of competitive mons that probably don't see play anymore. I think what I want to do is figure out a team to take into the dlc that's not overpowered and have some variety from what i played the main game.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    If you want to have some challenge, I'd just take a relatively balanced team of things around level 60. That's around the level the wild Pokemon will be at around the starting area of the DLC. I also found there to be a decent challenge in just catching what was available early and building a whole team of Kitakami natives and not using any candies to level them up. After the very early part there's a good amount of variety, and you can build a decently balanced team.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I started watching an old Let's Play of Scarlet and Violet recently and it got me thinking. It was always really unclear what the actual rules were with the pokemon that evolve via steps. Decided to look it up as surely by now someone has definitively figured it out - turns out, yes, the pokemon can go back into its ball and it doesn't have to be consecutive. You just can't bring out a different pokemon or reset the game. There are some really interesting quirks to it too. I'll spoiler for size and anyone who is still worried about getting spoiled on stuff
    Kinda interesting how it all works.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I hopped back into sword because I am avoiding spending money on the new dlc and I kind of fell off playing last gen mid isle of armor and I figured worst case I can collect all the legends and port them up through home.

And so I immediately noticed how much better sword looks. Like it’s a dramatic difference I took for granted because I hadn’t been playing it near when this gen came out.

armor is a nice tight little story package that I wrapped up pretty quickly. I wonder if it would have been enough to keep my attention at the time. I’m sure I’d have focused more on completing the dex and the extra repeat fights and such so maybe?

But crown tundra is great. The adventures are sweet. The first legendary clue feels almost as long as all of isle of armor. I am actively sad I didn’t come back and play this when it was current.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    I probably should get back and beat Shield at some point but I have so many other games to play T_T

I did end up getting a turbo controller finally so I can farm the Ace Tournament in Violet (mash A button ftw!) so I've been doing that the last few nights :3 So yeah, when they say 0.1% chance at Johto balls (the main reason I was doing it), it's really a garbage chance. I think I got one so far and it was a repeat :/ Did manage to cap out on Poke Dollars tho! lol... (think the max was $9,999,999?) Went around buying up a bunch of clothing so I was back down to basically zero for next time (that money goes amazingly fast when you're buying out those rich people fashion shops). Also nothing like checking in, seeing Nemona come up to battle, wind up her pokeball throw, then sit there for like 2 minutes. I was worried the game crashed but I think it was just suffering so badly from being on for so long that it took that long to load the battle.. lol... Needless to say, shut it down for a bit after that :P

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I finished the teal mask dlc over the weekend. It was ok, I liked the story of the ogre and the loyal three and the boss battles were pretty good but I didn't really like running around the actual region. The land was kind of boring and not interesting to explore. I also liked Perrin's quest but it made me want to play Legends Arceus instead.

It was fine, I wasn't crushed with disappointment or anything but the DLC didn't have the big open world and multiple storyline structure that made the base game worth playing. I wasn't having as much fun as I was playing through Violet (and Pokemon Legends Arceus).

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Taya wrote: »
    I finished the teal mask dlc over the weekend. It was ok, I liked the story of the ogre and the loyal three and the boss battles were pretty good but I didn't really like running around the actual region. The land was kind of boring and not interesting to explore. I also liked Perrin's quest but it made me want to play Legends Arceus instead.

It was fine, I wasn't crushed with disappointment or anything but the DLC didn't have the big open world and multiple storyline structure that made the base game worth playing. I wasn't having as much fun as I was playing through Violet (and Pokemon Legends Arceus).

Feel like I can agree with everything here. It was ok but not amazing. I'm also not quite sure what they were thinking with the travel points there. There's like none on the upper right side of the map and about 20 near the town. Like, a landmark travel point for the spooky forest at least? Plz? It's weird that like every single sign at the bottom of the map has a travel point but they have "10 Sights of Paldea" style landmarks all over that just never get one. Feel like the Ogre Den kind of warrants one as an important landmark, yeah? Probably more than "it's an empty field with a lot of item pickups"

Edit: That feeling when you see an outbreak with a "?" after catching everything in the DLC I can possibly catch without trading (trade evos + Scarlet exclusives). Yeah no, it was an outbreak of Artisan Form Poltchageist... lol... So guess I'll be farming that tonight

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    scarlet and violet are by far the worst games for me. ive tried to play multiple times but it just isn't fun and i dont think it looks great. i even prefer sword and shield over it, even though i absolutely hate how slow the gigantamax everything is. my wife hasnt even finished the elite 4 and pokemon is one of the few games she does like. if only square didnt give some small studio $4 and tell them to make a DQM game... like the market is plenty open for any dev to make a monster taming game, they just need to have fun gameplay and monster designs. i think all the clones do themselves a disservice by trying copy pokemon too much.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    i now regret playing the "catch all the legends expansion," I had to fight calyrex 8 times before i gave up and master balled it.

I just had the first regi ko itself i used that many pokeballs.

had to go set up the yawn/twave/false swipe duo and then realized false swipe is so slow against the big bulky regis

also I should have checked my partners old profile sooner. I got lucky that we trained urshifu different, but they did the same calyrix as me. But at least i checked it before the regi choice so i will be able to do the gigas fight on just my save so that's cool. I didn't know one home account could read all the profiles until i saw it mentioned randomly

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Here is a Prime code for Pokemon Go. First come; first serve
    4HXKM9HXNCLFZ

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Finally beat Detective Pikachu Returns. Enjoyed it a lot, though definitely some things they could have done better.
    I uh, kinda feel like their original statement about the movie not spoiling this one was a freaking lie. Game literally ends with a dude mind swapping with Deoxys using a machine that I'm PRETTY SURE looks exactly like the one in the movie. I guess because it wasn't the mayor and it was Deoxys instead of Mewtwo, that's how it's different? lol... Like the individual events were slightly different but the game still ended exactly the same way the movie did...

Overall though, yeah, I really liked it. I've seen a LOT of people online shitting on this game as terrible and I'm like, what? Don't get me wrong, it's baby difficulty for babies but so was the first damn game. Still enjoyed it.

And hey, at least I have a little bit of an idea on how the heck the second movie which has already been greenlit is possibly gonna even happen when Harry's dad went back to normal at the end of that movie. (Seriously wouldn't surprise me if that movie just flat out skips the plot of this game entirely and spoils the next game instead lol)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    so, I haven't played a Pokemon game really since Red/Blue many, many moons ago as a kid, but I just picked up Pokemon Sword for my Switch Lite as part of a B2G1 deal at gamestop. I know its not the latest in the series, but I did a quick glance at google and it seems the Sword/Shield series has better overall reviews. Did I make the right choice?

I also saw there's an expansion pass for Shield, but guessing it won't even be useful until I'm way into the vanilla game/beat it

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    so, I haven't played a Pokemon game really since Red/Blue many, many moons ago as a kid, but I just picked up Pokemon Sword for my Switch Lite as part of a B2G1 deal at gamestop. I know its not the latest in the series, but I did a quick glance at google and it seems the Sword/Shield series has better overall reviews. Did I make the right choice?

I also saw there's an expansion pass for Shield, but guessing it won't even be useful until I'm way into the vanilla game/beat it

Well, honestly, if your only experience is RBY, any modern pokemon game is going to be a huge upgrade, so no real bad choices here.

Opinions are mixed on the last entries - personally, I liked Scarlet more, but also it's true that it released with some pretty hellacious bugs you might run into (I was lucky and never got anything beyond the ocassional framerate sinking into the depths of the ocean moment, but people told me of some pretty silly stuff).

The expansion pass basically adds two areas and side stories to the game. you can more or less do them whenever, really.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Yeah. I don't think you can go wrong either way, both generations are pretty good. (though SV definitely does have performance issues. Some people have more tolerance for it than others I think.)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Mm, personally I enjoyed Scarlet/Violet more than Sword/Shield, but both have their merits and honestly Sword/Shield might be the better pick for a longtime returning player anyway.

The DLC packs are kind of designed for you to be able to pop in and out of them as you progress with the main story, they sort of scale to how far along you are in the main game, I think, though doing so might wind up with you overlevelling some stuff, but they're not hugely difficult games anyway so that might not be a big factor for you necessarily.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Should've picked up Arceus so you've got two open world games to wander around and not do everything in.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Having played Scarlet before Arceus, why didn't they keep the
    choose when to evolve your mon instead of smashing b?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I adore Pokemon Legends Arceus. It's my favourite Pokemon game.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Now that the only thing left to do is hatch eggs for my last Pre-DLC 2 Masuda hunt. Along with mark hunting when the mood strikes. I find myself going back to games like Let's go and Arceus for more shiny hunting.

Trying to fight the intrusive urge to start SRing for shiny Arceus in BDSP because SR hunts are my least favorite.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm planning a competitive team based around things I like, and the want and need to use the shiny Cramorant I did an outbreak to get is very high. I am sad that Cramorant can't get Whirlpool in SV, because it enabled some truly degenerate stall tactics.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

Because that would be an amazing new feature and this is Gamefreak

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Quite frankly I suspect these two games were done by different teams inside Gamefreak who didn't talk to each other that much (or at least didn't compare each other's work). I think that may be why. Or honestly it might also be a design decision to either keep S/V "closer to the old games" or just be more intuitive to the player (honestly it could be easy to miss that your pokemon could evolve if you weren't watching on level up). Still a bit bummed that the Link Cable style items were not brought over tho. Trade evos have and always will suck. I don't even care if there's some "but we need Metal Coat to be a held item!" excuse - just make it evolve on level up while holding the item then...

There was a special "clean-ness" to the design of Arceus that I still really appreciate and hope does make its way into future games. A lot of "this design sucks, let's just straight up dump it" type of things.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Quite frankly I suspect these two games were done by different teams inside Gamefreak who didn't talk to each other that much (or at least didn't compare each other's work). I think that may be why. Or honestly it might also be a design decision to either keep S/V "closer to the old games" or just be more intuitive to the player (honestly it could be easy to miss that your pokemon could evolve if you weren't watching on level up). Still a bit bummed that the Link Cable style items were not brought over tho. Trade evos have and always will suck. I don't even care if there's some "but we need Metal Coat to be a held item!" excuse - just make it evolve on level up while holding the item then...

so how does this pokemon home system work? I'm guessing going by this chart, if I unlock pokemon in Shield, then if I buy Scarlet later on, I can move the pokemon from Shield to Scarlet using home?

7urqhvelxci7.png

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Zavian wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

so how does this pokemon home system work? I'm guessing going by this chart, if I unlock pokemon in Shield, then if I buy Scarlet later on, I can move the pokemon from Shield to Scarlet using home?

7urqhvelxci7.png

Yeah, probably (it depends on if the pokemon is compatible with S/V... but I think most Gen 8 are?). Pokemon Home is basically just Pokemon Bank but with some more features like a GTS and Wonder Trade option. You move stuff over to Pokemon Home, and then you can move them back over to any game that supports that specific pokemon (except the ones with the one way arrow on that chart, which is largely just Pokemon Go and Let's Go). There are occasionally some restrictions like moves that will be totally reset when moved between games, etc.

The GTS feature is actually really nice - probably the easiest to use GTS of any game in the franchise. Still some issues (like, um.. not labeling shinies... seriously, some of them look nearly identical, how am I supposed to find that shit?) but some nice features too like being able to search for specific forms of a pokemon (ex: Ocean pattern Vivillon, East Sea Gastrodon, Alolan Meowth, etc)

Edit: Oh btw, head's up for anyone who owns Legends: Arceus or just has a bunch of them from Pokemon Go - Ursaluna is stupid valuable on the Home GTS. I have no idea why but I guess it's kinda rare? I've gotten stupidly good Pokemon as trade for mine (like, the Gen 9 legendaries good). Especially if you have shinies - those are basically "get whatever you want" tickets. Really nice for a pokemon that's literally just an evo of Ursaring, a super common mon (I assume the rarity of Peat Blocks or Go's "only on a real life full moon" thing are why).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Cute Detective Pikachu short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQSUimraSU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Typhlosion raid is so much easier than the Decidyueye, it has terrible coverage.

Goodra just walked all over it. (Rain dance+tera water = lol what damage as it keeps spamming fire attacks at me)

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I just started getting in to Shield, I went with Scorbunny as my starter. Should I be on the lookout for any specific pokemon in the early game? should I just focus on Scorbunny? Or should I try and get one of each type and level them all up equally? so far I only snagged Rookidee

Zavian on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Shield has pretty good pokemon variety throughout as I recall it, you should be fine just catching ones that you like the look of and keeping them around till you find something more appealing, every pokemon in your party gains experience as you battle anyway, so there's no harm in filling up the slots early, but keeping a solid spread of types in your team is generally a good idea. It might be worth noting that in these later games some pokemon can have pretty exacting evolution requirements, so if you start to feel like one of your guys should've maybe evolved by now you might want to look up if they need a special item first or whatever.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Shield has pretty good pokemon variety throughout as I recall it, you should be fine just catching ones that you like the look of and keeping them around till you find something more appealing, every pokemon in your party gains experience as you battle anyway, so there's no harm in filling up the slots early, but keeping a solid spread of types in your team is generally a good idea. It might be worth noting that in these later games some pokemon can have pretty exacting evolution requirements, so if you start to feel like one of your guys should've maybe evolved by now you might want to look up if they need a special item first or whatever.

For an example: there's one pokemon that evolves by leveling up while you're holding the system upside down.

So yeah, if you feel "this guy should have probably evolved by now", consider checking serebii.net, just in case.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Typhlosion raid is so much easier than the Decidyueye, it has terrible coverage.

Goodra just walked all over it. (Rain dance+tera water = lol what damage as it keeps spamming fire attacks at me)

I went with the Tera Fighting Dachsbun + Metronome + Body Press tactic, and since Dachsbun's ability negates fire it just keeps spamming Will o Wisp and increasing my defense every time, while Body Press gets stronger the higher your Defense is

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

For an example: there's one pokemon that evolves by leveling up while you're holding the system upside down.

So yeah, if you feel "this guy should have probably evolved by now", consider checking serebii.net, just in case.

That's not even the worst. There's the one that evolves by walking through a specific location in the Wild Area while having taken at least a minimum specific amount of damage.

I swear, some of these sound like they're instructions on triggering missingno glitches on the old school Pokemon games.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I’m glad I was able to solo Hisuian Typhlosion since it is my favorite Hisui starter. Even though they kind of screwed it compared to the other two. Especially the insanity that is Ceaseless Edge AND Sharpness vs… Infernal Parade and Frisk.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally fired up Violet’s first DLC. I still need Slowking, Scisor, and whatever that dolphin thing turns into.

Is it possible to get these things in raids? Is there an easy way to find these raids without tromping over the entire map and gawking at every raid entrance? Stupid limited training options.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I got the first two of those through raids, but I think both were the 5 or 6 star ones. Palafin I had to beg someone on here to help.

Your best bet may be to just look for other raids online and refresh every chance until you see a Scizor or Slowking outline.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ugh. I know I'm not the first person to say this, but Game Freak really, really needs to take a good look at evolution methods and revamp them to make them intuitive and fun rather than "guess I'm Googling this shit." I mean, I know there's a lot of tradition involved, but there's no fucking excuse for Palafin. Especially with crappier trading.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    It would have been so so much harder to complete the dex this gen without someone else playing the other version.